PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else creeped out by Becker in TW Vlog?

Colpo
03-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Preface: you will not find a bigger Becker fan than me, dating back to 1985. In the years I've played tennis and watched the pro game, he's my favorite (Mac's second). But since he's left the game, dyed his hair, and I've read his autobiography ("The Player"), I've seen a guy go from rugged, tempermental player to one of the most egregious examples of "Gone Hollywood" around. Incorporating in the Becker brand? Using Becker? Boris, YOU'RE BECKER - just say "me" in those instances. I know lots of pro athletes use the 3rd person to refer to themselves, but couple that with Boris' now-longer, bleached hair, washed-out pallor, and general stuck-up-ness - I don't know what happened to this guy. He looks years older than 39 to me. I've got to believe that the same hubris has not befallen, say, Edberg, or Lendl. Becker loves the lights, for sure.*

(*Note to TW: none of this should be interpreted as me retracting my signing up for the Becker Volkl BB10 racquet - I still love Becker, just scratching my head about the guy, is all.)

armand
03-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I don't think he dyes his hair. He's a cool dude.

The Gorilla
03-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't think he dyes his hair. He's a cool dude.

WHAT??????????????

Ronaldo
03-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Maybe this Becker shoulda stayed in the broom closet, eh?

retrowagen
03-26-2007, 11:24 AM
When you own a Mercedes dealership in Germany at age 22, it does something to you, I suppose...

I too read his autobiography and learned alot about his career and his own personal demons. Much of his problems had to do with how he copes with stress and the expectations of an entire nation.

He strikes me as a guy who is unhappy with the cost of success and fame, who eventually wound up playing a role ("International Superstar") when he really would rather have been an obscure, "normal" person.

Nuke
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
He strikes me as a guy who is unhappy with the cost of success and fame, who eventually wound up playing a role ("International Superstar") when he really would rather have been an obscure, "normal" person.
I think it's easy to become an obscure person, if you want to be. Even Brittany Spears could clean up her act and disappear into the boonies and become "normal" if she wanted. But celebrities love the attention, even when they complain they want to be left alone.

OK, it might be tough for Michael Jackson. He'd be a freak anywhere he went.

Ronaldo
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I think it's easy to become an obscure person, if you want to be. Even Brittany Spears could clean up her act and disappear into the boonies and become "normal" if she wanted. But celebrities love the attention, even when they complain they want to be left alone.

OK, it might be tough for Michael Jackson. He'd be a freak anywhere he went.

Mars, Michael, My Favorite Martian

AndrewD
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
'Becker' or 'Boris Becker' is a trademark and seperate entity to the person. So, when he talks about 'Becker' or 'Boris Becker' he isn't talking in the third person. Unlike most sportspeople (can't think of many similar to him) he fully understands the importance of the 'brand' and the brand is 'Becker/Boris Becker/BB'. It's been that way since he first won Wimbledon (remember all the 'BB' logoed Puma merchandise?). So, when he talks business he talks 'Becker'. Sure, he's got a huge ego (although I'll never believe it could come close to matching McEnroe's) and comes across as a bit of a 'poser' he still knows the difference between the man and the label.

boris becker 1
03-27-2007, 10:07 AM
have you you actually met the guy???? I have been lucky enough to on 3 occasions. yes he was my hero as a kid as well.

he is the opposite of what you describe. he is so down to earth and will actually spend 5 minutes to talk to you

malakas
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Sure, he's got a huge ego (although I'll never believe it could come close to matching McEnroe's) and comes across as a bit of a 'poser' he still knows the difference between the man and the label.

hahaha that made me laugh!:mrgreen:

Deuce
03-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Absolutely.

For a guy who once seemingly legitimately questioned why athletes are so revered and worshipped as human beings, Becker sure has absorbed his fame and attention like a sponge.
And he keeps going out and looking for more... and more...

Insecurity is a terrible thing.

classic tennis
03-30-2007, 01:46 AM
He looked & acted fine, the only reason he was there is the first place is as a suck up from the US agent to TW for pushing the sticks......I'm sure he had better things to do.

gonzo2000
03-30-2007, 08:09 AM
When you own a Mercedes dealership in Germany at age 22, it does something to you, I suppose...

I too read his autobiography and learned alot about his career and his own personal demons. Much of his problems had to do with how he copes with stress and the expectations of an entire nation.

Becker has always been a conflicted guy. He looks at himself as somewhat of an intellectual and wants to be taken as more than just an athelete/tennis player. He has a loev/hate relationship with fame.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
First I would have to ask if you are American, and I am thinking it is so...because it is just a daf in Germany to dye your hair that way. Not saying that it's good looking, but I have mid 40's friends with hair like that, and in general, many Germans tend to look older than their years especially with the colouring he has. But at the same time, he will probably look this same way until he's 60. So there is pluses in minuses in that.

But honestly, I've met Becker more than once in passing, and he's never failed to sign an autograph or toss around a joke or two. A number of Americans like to use the word arrogant to describe a person, and it is not necessarily true. Becker makes fun of himself a lot on German TV commericals, talk shows and everything. The media gave him quite a few bashes here after his fiascoes. But Germans still love their "hero", and the "hero" still performs for them. Warum nicht?? Why not??

Deuce
03-30-2007, 11:51 PM
But honestly, I've met Becker more than once in passing, and he's never failed to sign an autograph or toss around a joke or two. A number of Americans like to use the word arrogant to describe a person, and it is not necessarily true. Becker makes fun of himself a lot on German TV commericals, talk shows and everything. The media gave him quite a few bashes here after his fiascoes. But Germans still love their "hero", and the "hero" still performs for them. Warum nicht?? Why not??
Doesn't this tell you that he loves his fame?
If he didn't love the fame and attention, he wouldn't be doing those "TV commercials, talk shows, and everything" - he'd be just pursuing his life in relative anonymity - like Lendl, for example.

Pro_Tour_630
03-31-2007, 07:36 AM
I just noticed one thing in the Vlog

Throughout his career Boris kept on telling us that his racquet only holds his strings together, it is the strings that are the most important and the racquet is ........ just a racquet.

Now in the Vlog, he is pushing the BB10 as the GOAT ?!??!?!?

nyc
03-31-2007, 09:17 AM
all I could think of is how SMALL Chris Edwards looked next to BB :D

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-31-2007, 12:06 PM
If he didn't love the fame and attention, he wouldn't be doing those "TV commercials, talk shows, and everything" - he'd be just pursuing his life in relative anonymity - like Lendl, for example.

Questions:

What should it tell me at all? And why should I have to question it?

Why should the guy be blitzed just because he enjoys being in the spotlight, and is comfortable in that position as well? Are there not other athletes, film stars, etc. who do the same? But perhaps he should run from it instead? Who is to say?

Become a Lendl-like person? Becker has a radically different personality than Lendl and always did. He does things his way, good or bad, looking occasionally stupid or suave. We accept him as he is, just as he is, because it's his choice to be that way. That's more a European acceptance of reality, a tolerant way. Makes for less heart attacks :-) Am absolutely certain that I did not in any way say in my previous posting that he didn't like his fame. His fellow Germans, for the majority, like him for the very same reason "baji-naji".

Deuce
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Questions:

What should it tell me at all? And why should I have to question it?

Why should the guy be blitzed just because he enjoys being in the spotlight, and is comfortable in that position as well? Are there not other athletes, film stars, etc. who do the same? But perhaps he should run from it instead? Who is to say?

Become a Lendl-like person? Becker has a radically different personality than Lendl and always did. He does things his way, good or bad, looking occasionally stupid or suave. We accept him as he is, just as he is, because it's his choice to be that way. That's more a European acceptance of reality, a tolerant way. Makes for less heart attacks :-) Am absolutely certain that I did not in any way say in my previous posting that he didn't like his fame. His fellow Germans, for the majority, like him for the very same reason "baji-naji".
Thanks for being so open about your obvious bias in Becker's favour.
You're obviously a fan.

So much so that you've apparently missed the many occasions that he has questioned the sanity of any society or culture who make 'gods' out of tennis players and other 'famous' persons.

And yet, he seeks out this fame - and so seeks out being viewed as a 'god' any chance he gets.

This renders him a hypocrite of the first order.
But you aren't able to see this because of your Becker Blinders.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for being so open about your obvious bias in Becker's favour.
You're obviously a fan.

So much so that you've apparently missed the many occasions that he has questioned the sanity of any society or culture who make 'gods' out of tennis players and other 'famous' persons.

And yet, he seeks out this fame - and so seeks out being viewed as a 'god' any chance he gets.

This renders him a hypocrite of the first order.
But you aren't able to see this because of your Becker Blinders.

LOL You don't know me in the slightest, yet you judge. You likely don't know Becker in the slightest and certainly less than I, and you judge him also. Well, at least you are consistent. One hopes your forehand is so as well...

I was a fan of becker when I was 15 and he was 17 and just won Wimbledon. I enjoyed watching many of his matches throughout his career but definitely passed on following his escapades in the last years, though I find his commercials funny because he makes fun of himself and his errors. But I have no interest in reading anything about him or even watching an interview. If he plays a match...Hmm, well, then I definitely watch.

Obviously you like to attack to see if you can get a rise out of someone, well I will answer, but I can do nothing but laugh at your idiocy. It made me smile your answer. I am tolerant of such behavior also simply because you don't know me, and I refuse take such things personally or aggressively reply. You think you are witty with words..?Funny, Becker Blinders. I think many of the women and men who find him attractive need some of those. Are you selling? LOL

I merely presented both sides. That's simply being fair, not at all biased :-) Something you obviously have not, as anyone with common sense can see.

stormholloway
04-02-2007, 09:14 PM

Lendl doesn't have Becker's personality, so I don't think that's a good example.

Regardless, he's a business man now, and the exposure is good for business.

Deuce
04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
LOL You don't know me in the slightest, yet you judge. You likely don't know Becker in the slightest and certainly less than I, and you judge him also. Well, at least you are consistent. One hopes your forehand is so as well...

I was a fan of becker when I was 15 and he was 17 and just won Wimbledon. I enjoyed watching many of his matches throughout his career but definitely passed on following his escapades in the last years, though I find his commercials funny because he makes fun of himself and his errors. But I have no interest in reading anything about him or even watching an interview. If he plays a match...Hmm, well, then I definitely watch.

Obviously you like to attack to see if you can get a rise out of someone, well I will answer, but I can do nothing but laugh at your idiocy. It made me smile your answer. I am tolerant of such behavior also simply because you don't know me, and I refuse take such things personally or aggressively reply. You think you are witty with words..?Funny, Becker Blinders. I think many of the women and men who find him attractive need some of those. Are you selling? LOL

I merely presented both sides. That's simply being fair, not at all biased :-) Something you obviously have not, as anyone with common sense can see.
You've managed to reveal your condescention, hypocrisy, and utter defensiveness in one post - a difficult feat.
Congratulations.
You whine that I 'attacked' you - yet your post fulfills this role far more than do any of my replies to you.

Further, if you cannot - or will not - see the hypocrisy of Becker's behaviour versus his words - even after I've clearly pointed them out to you, then you also reveal the level of your comprehension.

Lendl doesn't have Becker's personality, so I don't think that's a good example.

Regardless, he's a business man now, and the exposure is good for business.
My point - as should be plainly obvious by now - is the utter lack of consistency between Becker's words and his actions.
If Becker TRULY felt that it is bordering on insanity the manner in which the public worship the famous, he would certainly not encourage this process by seeking fame and behaving like a 'big star'.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-11-2007, 05:16 AM
LOL so its your way to continue to attack someone because they show a tolerant attitude and refuse to be angered and response in an irritated fashion to your postings? No return attack was made to you personally by me. That would be sinking to your level of reply. Simply not worth my time.

It seems you get off by trying to 'set people straight' because you know so much better, and you see things so much more clearly. As I said, anyone with common sense can see I both said Becker had flaws anyone could see in his public persona, yet I said also, most everyone does or can at some time or another. Personally said, he's always been friendly to me, but I don't care for his lifestyle. You conveniently 'bleeped' right over that.

Since this seems to make you feel better, certainly go ahead. Believe exactly what you wish, because you will anyway. There are many people in the world with the same attitude.

Condescension? No, just a good sense of humor, as I don't think myself superior to any other by saying 'MY WAY IS THE CORRECT WAY, ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SEE IT THAT WAY IS A MORON!' which is basically what you seemed to have been saying. We also have mind and opinions. We do not attack others personally so sure we have the correct angle on things. How condescending is that. Gain maturity also. My personal recommendation. Lose the self-absorption and arrogance. Stop thinking more of yourself (and your opinions) than it is necessary to think.

I don't need to reply to you anymore. I've addressed the original question with my views and commentary. Personal in-fighting and 'mine is bigger than yours!' slugfests are childish, pointless, and not my style at all ;-) Try to have a nice day. LOL

armand
04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Becker does not dye his hair. I was just watching 1996 Becker vs Sampras and BB had really short hair and it was still totally blonde.

Deuce
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
LOL so its your way to continue to attack someone because they show a tolerant attitude and refuse to be angered and response in an irritated fashion to your postings? No return attack was made to you personally by me. That would be sinking to your level of reply. Simply not worth my time.

It seems you get off by trying to 'set people straight' because you know so much better, and you see things so much more clearly. As I said, anyone with common sense can see I both said Becker had flaws anyone could see in his public persona, yet I said also, most everyone does or can at some time or another. Personally said, he's always been friendly to me, but I don't care for his lifestyle. You conveniently 'bleeped' right over that.

Since this seems to make you feel better, certainly go ahead. Believe exactly what you wish, because you will anyway. There are many people in the world with the same attitude.

Condescension? No, just a good sense of humor, as I don't think myself superior to any other by saying 'MY WAY IS THE CORRECT WAY, ANYONE WHO DOESN'T SEE IT THAT WAY IS A MORON!' which is basically what you seemed to have been saying. We also have mind and opinions. We do not attack others personally so sure we have the correct angle on things. How condescending is that. Gain maturity also. My personal recommendation. Lose the self-absorption and arrogance. Stop thinking more of yourself (and your opinions) than it is necessary to think.

I don't need to reply to you anymore. I've addressed the original question with my views and commentary. Personal in-fighting and 'mine is bigger than yours!' slugfests are childish, pointless, and not my style at all ;-) Try to have a nice day. LOL
Funny... you spend 95% of your post claiming that you don't do exactly what you are doing in the post.
Interesting.

No wonder you can't see the blatant hypocrisy in Becker...