PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Feeling About Mixed

Cindysphinx
03-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Well, my 7.0 mixed season is over, and I went 1-3.

I honestly don't know what to make of mixed doubles. There's no doubt that it highlighted the deficiencies in my game and helped me know what I need to fix. And I can see ways in which my game is now stronger. When I play ladies, it seems like the serves are puffballs.

But the dynamic in mixed is weird and unsettling at times. For one thing, at the 7.0 level, I am always the weakest player on the court. The pressure is intense. When I lost, I felt like I let my partner down. I don't feel that way when I lose in ladies doubles, as my partner probably blew as many balls as I did.

The other unsettling thing about mixed is that guys can be . . . well . . . rigid and unyielding. I think when you are losing, you need to change something to turn things around. My male partners don't seem to buy this the way my female partners do. My suggestions to change (signaled poaches, play two back, take off pace, increase spin, stay back, lob, slow the pace of play) are brushed aside with "We just need to play better."

And um . . . guys can be a little patronizing in a way I haven't seen in my women partners. In one match, we were struggling and my partner said to me, "Look, just because I don't call a serve long doesn't mean you have to play it." Huh? That's how we're going to claw our way back into the match-- calling the lines closer?

I dunno. I like my team, so I'll probably be back rather than taking the easy way out and playing 6.0 mixed instead. Maybe these interpersonal issues will resolve themselves with time and experience, and maybe my groundstrokes will be ready for prime time by then also.

Cindy -- also frustrated that it is obvious the male players have not read the rules when they ask what the penalty is in a tiebreaker for accidently playing some points while receiving on the wrong side of the court

Topaz
03-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Cindy, do *NOT* play 6.0 mixed! Trust me on this one! If I play mixed again, it will be 7.0. Every 3.0 male partner I played with had one strategy->hit the ball as hard as possible. And the serve, too! Errors and double faults...EVERYWHERE! It was like some kind of testosterone macho-fest at every match.

The one exception would be my partner Tony...but even he couldn't hold his serve 'cause he would just try to whack it harder and harder every time.

YMMV, of course, but I am finding myself sorry that I played mixed this year.

PBODY99
03-24-2007, 10:42 AM
There is a saying " Men can lose a Mixed match, but the women win it." When players on both teams are close to each other in level of course. This holds true in level of play. If your male partner can play the other man even & you can outplay the women, you'll win.
Changing tactics when for most players is fairly limited, as we are not that skillful. If we had more command of the wide variety of shots, we wouldn't be playing 7.0, as this is usually seen in 4.5 and above players.
30 years of mixed leads me to really believe that the finding someone you can play with is an art, which doesn't have as much to do with skill as personality.
I find it interesting that players complain about softly hit balls. Learn to handle those and your game will improve.m
My 2 cents.

peter
03-24-2007, 01:21 PM
There is a saying " Men can lose a Mixed match, but the women win it." When players on both teams are close to each other in level of course. This holds true in level of play. If your male partner can play the other man even & you can outplay the women, you'll win.

I'd even say "If your male partner can't outplay the other man, but you can outplay the other woman - you'll win." (This is assuming the male guys are better than the women - something not necessarily true).

I played in a small Mixed league last summer for the first time and I found it really fun and a bit more relaxing than the mens league. This might have been since the lady I was playing with was really good and thus I mainly concentrated on keeping the ball in play (and mostly targeting the other guy - who then would try to target my partner - and be really surprised when his balls would come back, with added pace - time after time after time :-).

The ball would typically end when my partner attacked the other teams ladies - she didn't have any internal limits of hitting hard balls their way the way I had (and much of the balls pace was infact generated by the other teams male player :-).

Now, this was a very small league (three teams) and the level varied a lot between the teams. We played two singles (one man-man, one woman-woman) and one mixed doubles and most of the guys were better than me so I typically lost my singles, whereas she would win her singles and then we would win our doubles match :-)

A.Davidson
03-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Since I'm only in high school, I've never played mixed doubles. I hear that positioning is even more important because of the different body types and strengths/weaknesses...Do you guys find mixed to be more competitive/interesting than one gender doubles?

Cruzer
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
For one thing, at the 7.0 level, I am always the weakest player on the court. The pressure is intense.

The upside of being the weakest player on the court whether it is true or not is you probably get a lot more balls than your partner. If you can serve consistently and return serves successfully you are more than holding up your end of the partnership.

lordmanji
03-24-2007, 04:55 PM
well i also have mixed feelings about mixed doubles. the bad parts are that i was paired many times with real 2.5 women who either missed the ball or hit the ball so softly (serve as well) that i was basically a sitting duck at net. also its really hard to be motivated and get a rhythm going when you're basically giving away half the points each time when the ball goes to them.

the good parts were that when i did find a good consistent partner there was a lot of communication.

i honestly think i couldve beaten most of the guys in mixed doubles had it been singles or i had consistent men or women partners esp. towards the end.

and to the poster who said it was intense, i felt the same way. i didnt realize how much one match could mean. a couple of times due to all the pressure my legs would WOBBLE at the start of my serve(i usually elected to serve first), something that never happens anywhere else.

heycal
03-24-2007, 05:19 PM
... also frustrated that it is obvious the male players have not read the rules when they ask what the penalty is in a tiebreaker for accidently playing some points while receiving on the wrong side of the court

Old heycal would never play points in the wrong side of court during a tie-breaker since he is very focused and aware at such moments, but if he did happen to do this someday, um... what would be the penalty for playing some points on the wrong side of the court, Cintillating Sphinx?

heycal
03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
... also frustrated that it is obvious the male players have not read the rules when they ask what the penalty is in a tiebreaker for accidently playing some points while receiving on the wrong side of the court

Old heycal would never play points in the wrong side of court during a tie-breaker since he is very focused and aware at such moments, but if he did happen to do this someday, um... what would be the penalty for playing some points on the wrong side of the court, Cintillating Sphinx?

FYI - When I saw the title of this thread in the index, I had a pretty good idea who the OP would be ;)

Cindysphinx
03-24-2007, 05:52 PM
:) Heycal, you crack me up!

It's a trick question. There is no penalty. All points played in good faith count. When the mistake is discovered, the players assume the correct position and carry on.

OK, Topaz, I will stay away from 6.0. Better to go down swinging at 7.0. Besides, my service return when I play women is rock solid now, and I attribute this to having to hit dudes' serves all winter.

A.Davidson, mixed is a whole different animal, IMHO. Since there is (on my team, anyway) an imbalance between the two partners, all kinds of things can get out of kilter. The woman can get too conservative, causing the guy to try to play harder and get wild, for one thing. It's also weird to have one opponent *blasting* the ball at you and the other doing different things (lobbing, etc.) that my women opponents tended to do.

And it really pays to be able to serve with variety, as women can be more easily flummoxed by spin than dudes, in my experience. So with the lady I often use as much spin as I can generate, whereas with the dudes, I often try to crack it right at them. So far, none of the dudes has fallen to their knees lunging for one of my middle-aged serves, but I keep trying. :)

heycal
03-24-2007, 06:01 PM
:) Heycal, you crack me up!

It's a trick question. There is no penalty. All points played in good faith count. When the mistake is discovered, the players assume the correct position and carry on.

I knew it was a trick and yet I still fell for it!:-o After I wrote that I said to myself, "wait a minute, there's no 'penalty' at all in that situation..."

But tell me this while we're on the subject: Do you assume the correct position even if you just served from that spot, meaning might you serve twice in a row to the ad court or something depending on when you realized the mistake? And what if in a doubles match, player A, B, and D serves, but player C forgets? When and how does one rectify that situation?

Let's hear some answers, Cindbadthesailorsphinx!

Cindysphinx
03-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't know.

So I will do what I would do on a tennis court if I didn't wish to look it up.

For the first question . . . Um . . . Yes, you assume the correct position, even if it means you serve both of your points to the same receiver.

For the second situation where Player C has a mini-stroke and forgets to serve . . . C should serve when the current server finishes, and the parties should then continue with Player A.

Anyone want to tell me if I guessed right?

ibringtheHEAT
03-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Since I'm only in high school, I've never played mixed doubles. I hear that positioning is even more important because of the different body types and strengths/weaknesses...Do you guys find mixed to be more competitive/interesting than one gender doubles?

what the #($* are you talking about??

mixed doubles is played in high school, you must go to some "special" school.

oldguysrule
03-24-2007, 08:27 PM

Do you think it's possible that not all states play mixed doubles? It is a recent addition here in Texas, so maybe we are one of the first to add it. Just a thought.

travlerajm
03-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't have any experience at 7.0 mixed, but I've been playing the last couple of years in 8.0 and 9.0 leagues.

At the 8.0, the team with the strongest guy on the court usually wins. That is, if there is a 5.0ish guy playing as 4.5 (which is my case), I'll usually be strong enough to take over the match by stationing my 3.5 partner 3 feet from the net and making sure that I handle all of the lobs. My partner still gets a lot of shots sent her way, but she is close enough to the net to always hit downward into the court. The best 8.0 teams tend to be 4.5male/3.5female combos.

At 9.0, the team with the strongest woman usually wins, because the players are good enough to make it too hard for one player to take over. The best 9.0 teams are usually either 5.0female/4.0male or 4.5/4.5 combos. Even at 9.0, I found that the best strategy is to keep my partner super-close to the net, so that she is liberated from the duty of fielding lobs, and she rarely needs to hit up on the ball.

Every female who is experienced at mixed doubles has learned that crowding the net is the only option for consistent success in mixed if she is the weaker link on the court.

AndrewD
03-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Every female who is experienced at mixed doubles has learned that crowding the net is the only option for consistent success in mixed if she is the weaker link on the court.

How long have you been playing mixed doubles?

sue20852
03-25-2007, 05:13 AM

Very true. It is a lot of fun for the winning team.

Topaz
03-25-2007, 05:26 AM

We didn't play mixed at my high school...maybe you should be open to the idea that not every place is the same.

Topaz
03-25-2007, 05:27 AM

Really? I've got one 6.0 match left...maybe I'll give this a shot. Unless, of course, my male partner can't move (and we have a few of them on my team) and cover the lobs.

tennis-n-sc
03-25-2007, 07:40 AM
When our mixed team is making a serious attempt at winning, we love to see a 2.5/3.0 lady with a 4.0 guy. Guess who is gonna get the whuppin'. Oh, we'll crack a few floaters at the 4.0 guy every once and awhile just to let him know we know he is there. Unless the 3.0 lady is very, very good, they are should always lose to legitimate 3.5 players. And, beware of crowding the net.

goober
03-25-2007, 07:49 AM
When our mixed team is making a serious attempt at winning, we love to see a 2.5/3.0 lady with a 4.0 guy. Guess who is gonna get the whuppin'. Oh, we'll crack a few floaters at the 4.0 guy every once and awhile just to let him know we know he is there. Unless the 3.0 lady is very, very good, they are should always lose to legitimate 3.5 players. And, beware of crowding the net.

heh I just played a match like this. Since I was the strongest player even though I don't really play that much doubles, I was paired with the weakest which was a 3.0 female. I held my two service games and we lost all the other games against two 3.5 mixed players. Basically I rarely hit the ball because everything was hit at my partner. We tried an I formation to mix it up but I got hit in the back of the head on a serve :D

Topaz
03-25-2007, 07:57 AM
My neighbor is a 4.0 guy, and we did a small tournament together, and had no problem winning. (I'm a 3.0) I'd love to get on a 7.0 team with him as my partner, and when I'm playing my best, I can hold my own against 3.5s. I don't know...it is a long time until the next mixed season here, and hopefully I will actually move up to 3.5 by then.

lordmanji
03-25-2007, 09:52 AM
heh I just played a match like this. Since I was the strongest player even though I don't really play that much doubles, I was paired with the weakest which was a 3.0 female. I held my two service games and we lost all the other games against two 3.5 mixed players. Basically I rarely hit the ball because everything was hit at my partner. We tried an I formation to mix it up but I got hit in the back of the head on a serve :D

ha that reminds me of a set i just played yesterday. the other team consisted of a 3.0 who used to be 4.0 when he was younger and a 3.5 guy. im a 3.0-3.5 guy myself and my partner was a 2.5. well i can honestly say i saw about five balls the entire set. once when they drop shotted me, once when they drop shotted my partner and i ran and covered it, twice when they hit it weak crosscourt and i poached and once when they hit it to me after i poached and resumed hitting crosscourts to my partner.

my partner gave it a good go, but he has a bad knee and they drop shotted him on many of his serves.

needless to say, we lost 0-6 (my partner served twice) and its very hard to play and get a rhythm in this situation.

volleyman
03-25-2007, 07:54 PM

While not as skilled as tj, I have to disagree with his blanket statement here.

First off, relieving the woman of having to chase lobs works only if the guy is fast enough to chase everything down and get into a position to hit a good hot.

I'm not slow, but I'm not that fast. :-)

Second, at least at the 8.0 Mixed level around here, two back is a workable formation. Also, most 3.5 - 4.0 women I've played with have much stronger groundstroke games than net games, meaning that it in some cases, our best plan is to have me freelancing at the net, and them covering the lobs and things that get by me. This allows me to do what I do best, attack, and allows them to play to their strengths, which makes them much happier and more confident.

In the end, it all depends on what strengths and weakness you and your partner each bring to the table, just like in same sex doubles. Having the woman crowding the net can work, but so can playing two back, having the woman cover the baseline and the guy the net or whatever other combination maximizes your strengths and covers your weaknesses.

heycal
03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Second, at least at the 8.0 Mixed level around here, two back is a workable formation. Also, most 3.5 - 4.0 women I've played with have much stronger groundstroke games than net games, meaning that it in some cases, our best plan is to have me freelancing at the net, and them covering the lobs and things that get by me.

Ah, I wish my gf went in for that 'freelancing' stuff when we play mixed doubles together...

travlerajm
03-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Second, at least at the 8.0 Mixed level around here, two back is a workable formation. Also, most 3.5 - 4.0 women I've played with have much stronger groundstroke games than net games, meaning that it in some cases, our best plan is to have me freelancing at the net, and them covering the lobs and things that get by me. This allows me to do what I do best, attack, and allows them to play to their strengths, which makes them much happier and more confident.

I eat 8.0 teams that try to play these ways for lunch. :)

I sometimes see 8.0 teams during the season that play 2 back or with the female back, but when you get to sectionals, those teams are gone, and the only teams remaining are the ones with gals who crowd the net and have speedy partners. (except for a few ringer teams with 5.0 gals)

EZRA
03-27-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with travlerajm.. The court is way too open for 2 back formation.. no pressure at all. In my area (NYC), most 4.0 women doesn't have the groundies to create pressure. Given that it's mixed doubles, all the balls go to the weaker individual (the female) and if she can't hold her own back there (and all she does is put the ball back) then they're in deep trouble.

volleyman
03-27-2007, 08:47 PM

I've lost to you - not you personally, but the generic you - a speedy a 5.0 guy playing down at 4.5, partnered with a 3.5 woman who he parked atop the net at the singles sideline. My partner was a solid 4.0 woman solid from all areas of the court, and we played textbook attacking doubles: both up at the net.

It was an interesting match. I was mighty impressed by the guy's court coverage, consistency, power and accuracy. I also found myself wondering why he was down here in 8.0 mixed beating on players nowhere close to him, instead of playing at the level he obviously belonged.

And before you challenge my assertion about this particular guy's level, let me point out the computer agreed with me, and bumped him up to 5.0 at the end of the year.

Also, as much as I want to win, and I hate losing with a passion, I can't bring myself to ask my partner to be an oversized net post. I know it might cost me, but it just doesn't work for me.

That statement isn't a judgement on you or your strategy, by the way. Just because I can't bring myself to play that way, doesn't mean it's wrong. I assume your partner agrees with your strategy, otherwise she wouldn't play with you. :-)

In my area (NYC), most 4.0 women doesn't have the groundies to create pressure. Given that it's mixed doubles, all the balls go to the weaker individual (the female) and if she can't hold her own back there (and all she does is put the ball back) then they're in deep trouble.

A good number of the 4.0 women I've played with have had solid, powerful groundstrokes and have been able to create pressure from the baseline. The net has been the more problematic area for my partners.

EZRA
03-28-2007, 04:00 AM
The standards in your area may be higher than mine... here, the 4.0 women are hardly competent except for a few who are really solid up at the net and consistent enough from the baseline but none of them can really give you pressure from the baseline.
Regardless... in doubles, the points are mostly won from the net.. if both of you are at the baseline, chances are you're gonna be under pressure and at the defensive.

Raiden.Kaminari
03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Second, at least at the 8.0 Mixed level around here, two back is a workable formation. Also, most 3.5 - 4.0 women I've played with have much stronger groundstroke games than net games, meaning that it in some cases, our best plan is to have me freelancing at the net, and them covering the lobs and things that get by me.

I sometimes see 8.0 teams during the season that play 2 back or with the female back, but when you get to sectionals, those teams are gone, and the only teams remaining are the ones with gals who crowd the net and have speedy partners. (except for a few ringer teams with 5.0 gals)

I agree with travlerajm.. The court is way too open for 2 back formation.. no pressure at all. In my area (NYC), most 4.0 women doesn't have the groundies to create pressure. Given that it's mixed doubles, all the balls go to the weaker individual (the female) and if she can't hold her own back there (and all she does is put the ball back) then they're in deep trouble.

This allows me to do what I do best, attack, and allows them to play to their strengths, which makes them much happier and more confident.

In the end, it all depends on what strengths and weakness you and your partner each bring to the table, just like in same sex doubles. Having the woman crowding the net can work, but so can playing two back, having the woman cover the baseline and the guy the net or whatever other combination maximizes your strengths and covers your weaknesses.

While I agree with volleyman, I have to strongly agree with travlerjm. It is OK in regular league play for pairs that don't attack the net, but playing double back is weaker than double up. While double back is better than one up, one down.

Having a female that is either a lob expert or a angle hitter against pace would helpful against more pairs (especially if she keeps lobbing to the female and not to the speedy male), but they also have to be fast enough to cover the drop shots that you can bet are headed towards the double back formation. And if you're partnered with the lob expert, I hope you have fast enough reactions to cover the occasional overheads to your body.

However, I strongly agree with volleyman that by post season, you only see the more aggressive, under-rated sandbaggers anyways :(

EZRA
03-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Raiden... I disagree about the double-back is better than one up and one down. Double back leaves no pressure at all... you really have to depend on your consistency and depth to win points with double back... while with one up one down, you only have half a court open to your opponent, and up the net.. you can always poach, kill a pop-up return, and set up plays.

At least that's what I think.

Geezer Guy
03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
I haven't really been keeping track, but it seems like MOST of the posts above have a stronger male playing with a weaker female. I don't play a LOT of Mixed, but when I do I usually see a stronger female matched with a weaker male (according to NTRP ratings). This produces a more even team, with both players being of roughly equal skill and giving the opponents less of an obvious choice on where to aim their shots.

Personally, I don't like playing Mixed at all. When I am pressured into it, if I'm paired with a weaker partner I really hate it. If I have a strong partner, it's (sometimes) almost enjoyable.

SlapShot
03-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I played mixed 8.0 this last winter, and we didn't fare too well.

I don't know if I'd play mixed again. My partners that I was paired with scared me at times. Let me say one thing - if you're playing doubles, get your first serve in. I can't count how many times I ended up having a bullet returned at me on my partner's second serve. That doesn't happen nearly as much in men's 4.0 leagues.

I might still play, just to play a little bit more casual league tennis, but I'll definitely be more selective when it comes to partners.

EZRA
03-28-2007, 08:07 AM
I haven't really been keeping track, but it seems like MOST of the posts above have a stronger male playing with a weaker female. I don't play a LOT of Mixed, but when I do I usually see a stronger female matched with a weaker male (according to NTRP ratings). This produces a more even team, with both players being of roughly equal skill and giving the opponents less of an obvious choice on where to aim their shots.

Personally, I don't like playing Mixed at all. When I am pressured into it, if I'm paired with a weaker partner I really hate it. If I have a strong partner, it's (sometimes) almost enjoyable.

That's the best combination IMO for a good 8.0 team... a strong 4.5 female and a strong 3.5 male. You're absolutely right.

kevhen
03-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I played 8.0 last year and went 2-3. It is a different game with the women having different expectations of what you should do compared to men.

One woman was a baseline slicer similar to myself but she had no footspeed but we had fun and split our 2 matches.

Another woman was very quick and liked to poach alot but she didn't realize the other team was just lobbing her poaches. We started to play back more and poached less to cover their lobs and we pulled out a close one.

The last woman was a very weak 4.0 with quickness but no volley or overhead skills and she couldn't serve to the opposing woman's forehand like I suggested since this woman's backhand return was killing us. This woman told me to be more aggressive since the opposing team would pick on her when they had the chance. But when I missed one high overhead, she told me that I should have let that one go back to her at the baseline. So it was frustrating to play with her since she wouldn't listen to what I was saying and I wasn't able to do what she wanted me to do.

I would rather team a 4.5 woman with a strong 3.5 guy but have seen 4.5 guys win with a solid 3.5 woman who can volley. I did notice that in mixed since you need less players for a meet that most teams have strong players for their level.

So ideally a team could take the best 3.5 women's player at their club and team with the best 4.5 man and then put the best two 4.0s together and then put the best 4.5 woman with the best 3.5 man to have a very strong 8.0 team.

Nick Irons
03-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Mixed Doubles is fun when there are some hot chicks on the court.

Hot chicks who have game are cool.

dennis1188
03-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I know i hv trouble when my (FM) partner gets lobbed down the line and does not move over. I only see the back of her head as I line up my forehand down the line.

J011yroger
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM

Problem is, especially as you get up in levels, it is really tough to find girls that are good. There are way way more guy players. I am looking for a mixed partner here, and they are not easy to find. So it is tough for a guy to find a girl who is better than him. If I ever want to enter a mixed tournament, I will probably have to play with one of the junior girls I coach.

J

dennis1188
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Problem is, especially as you get up in levels, it is really tough to find girls that are good. There are way way more guy players. I am looking for a mixed partner here, and they are not easy to find. So it is tough for a guy to find a girl who is better than him. If I ever want to enter a mixed tournament, I will probably have to play with one of the junior girls I coach.

J
I agree my best 'mixed' experience was w/ a strong usta 4.0 FM partner.
I was cramping at change over in 10 point tie breaker (7pm temp 38 degrees,5 sets in two matches that day). My FM partner says, 'I don't want to hear about it! (just serve). I go out and serve a winner so we can go home. It took me 15mins, to get my cramping legs to the parking lot. Two usta wins that day.

Serve em Up
03-29-2007, 03:51 AM
Please forgive my ignorance here. I don't want this to come off as chauvanistic in any way. I've only played "mixed" once or twice.

When playing mixed is it inappropriate for the men to "target" the women players hitting hard at them just as they would the man on the team?

Or is it expected that the male take it easy on the woman opponent. (assuming she is at a lower level than the male)

If the woman was at a significantly lower level than the man I would feel uncomfortable targeting hard shots at her. If you win with this strategy don't you get a bad reputation for taking advantage of the woman's lack of ability.

I've seen matches at my club where the male players hit obviously harder on shots hit to the male player on the other side.

Sorry, but I had too ask.

EZRA
03-29-2007, 05:00 AM
Serve Em Up: Depends on the importance of the match really... if it's just a friendly match, yeah.. I hold back on my shots, especially my serve. But on a league match in which I really need to win, yeah.. I hit hard from both sides, hit dipping topspins when she's at the net.. volley to her feet if I'm up at the net, etc.... but no, I would never try and hit her.

I don't think you'd get a bad reputation since it's common practice anyways, and if a woman play at a certain level, she needs to make sure that she can handle herself at that level. If not, don't even bother.

Caswell
03-29-2007, 05:02 AM
When playing mixed is it inappropriate for the men to "target" the women players hitting hard at them just as they would the man on the team?

I used to hit easier to the women I played in mixed, until I realized that if they can't handle the pace they should play back.

I don't serve flat to most women, but that's only because the ones I play have a harder time returning a kick serve at shoulder height than they do blocking a flat serve.

Cindysphinx
03-29-2007, 05:39 AM
I've never been hit in mixed. I've only been hit by other 3.0 women.

Most of the time, the guys will test me out one time at the net in mixed. If I make the volley for a winner (I usually do; remember, I'm playing that net awfully tight), they don't try again. They don't cut me a break at all on the serve. I've noticed that the men tend to send me spin serves ('cause I clearly suck at returning them) but they send my male partner more heat.

I'd be interested to hear what the other ladies who play mixed have to say about this.

SlapShot
03-29-2007, 05:54 AM
I played full out toward both players when I played mixed. I've actually played some matches where the female had better pace than the male did.

I also tend to hit more kick seves to the women, because they are typically (but not always) a little bit shorter, so a kick serve sitting at shoulder height for them tends to be trouble.

Topaz
03-29-2007, 06:34 AM
I've never been hit by a guy in mixed...though I did hit a guy with one of my shots. Not on purposed, just happened that way.

Yeah, I hate trying to return kick serves. I have a much easier time with flat pace.

And, fwiw, I play mixed knowing full well there is going to be a guy across the court from me...and as others have said, if I feel I can't handle it, I'll back up.

JRstriker12
03-29-2007, 07:10 AM
I had one of the worst experinces playing in a mixed doubles on a tennis team.

Not my partner's fault, mostly our team manager's fault.

First match me and my partner lost in a tie breaker. Very close and a very fun game. It was down hill from there.

I'd have a different partner nearly every match and one of my partners that I played with several times could not stick a volley. The other team would just pick on her, then my manager would look at me like, you're supposed to be a strong player, why did you loose?

I think I went about 1-5 that season. I finally got a partner who could hang in in the last game and we beat a very strong team.

At the end of the season, the manager asked me to leave the team so he could make room for stronger players. I just hope he brought in stronger partners for the mixed doubles.

cak
03-29-2007, 07:26 AM
I only play mixed socially, and I do hit harder to the better player. In some games it's the woman. As for USTA, I'm holding out for 50 mixed. By then I'm hoping a) my husband and I add up to an even number so I can play with him again and b) the guys over 50 are gentlemen, and aren't aiming at the women to go for a chance at Nationals. If they are 50 years old and still trying to scare the women at net, I'll just cross USTA mixed off my list.

What I'm really, really hoping for is a league where the men cannot be rated higher than their partner. I'm a 3.5 woman. I have no qualms against playing against a 3.5 guy hitting at me. There is no way I'm playing against a 4.0 guy that feels his manhood is at stake if he doesn't hit at me. And around here, that's what 7.0 mixed is.

jkonecne
03-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Sounds like you just need a new partner. I've always had fun in mixed doubles...when I'm playing with the right people. There are always those players that just don't have chemistry and that you just don't play well with. Also just try to have more fun, you sound like you want to win so bad that you put too much pressure on yourself.

Kaptain Karl
03-29-2007, 08:06 AM
mixed doubles is played in high school, you must go to some "special" school.I'm the Boys Team Coach here (Colorado). We don't play Mixed. (Boys' season is in the Fall; Girls' is in the Spring. That alone would make it kinda tough.)

- KK

heycal
03-29-2007, 09:30 AM
They don't cut me a break at all on the serve. I've noticed that the men tend to send me spin serves ('cause I clearly suck at returning them) but they send my male partner more heat.

You're on to our little trick, Cinnabonsphinx! Since we know it looks bad to serve hard to women, we use spin serves instead, which have the dual benefit of making it look like we're being gentlemen by easing off but actually causing women more trouble than a harder flat serve would. (By the way, if you ever solve the mystery of why women are baffled by spin, please let me know.)

I've only played mixed socially, and one does need to adjust their game accordingly. I remember playing with my girlfriend against another couple in a tough match. On matchpoint in a tie-breaker, I'm set to serve to the opposing woman. I asked my gf "Can I go for it here?" and she said "it's up to you" in a way that suggested I should not. I didn't. We lost. She indicated later that she was pleased I had eased off even though we ended up losing. (I think I need a more cutthroat galpal!)

Another story while we're on the subject: My gf invites me to fill in for a missing player in a chick doubles match, so it's me and three other women on the court, with me and my gf playing together. Second point of the match I get an overhead opportunity and WHAM! I accidentally nail one of our opponents (the one I'd never met before...)

I apologized up and down, but still it was tres embarassing if not downright traumatizing...

volleyman
03-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Or is it expected that the male take it easy on the woman opponent. (assuming she is at a lower level than the male)

For me, it depends on the context of the match.

If it's social doubles, such as a mixer, then I take it easy if the woman is obviously the weaker player.

If it's competitive mixed, such as an USTA league, I play to win.

marcl65
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
You're on to our little trick, Cinnabonsphinx! Since we know it looks bad to serve hard to women, we use spin serves instead, which have the dual benefit of making it look like we're being gentlemen by easing off but actually causing women more trouble than a harder flat serve would. (By the way, if you ever solve the mystery of why women are baffled by spin, please let me know.)Actually, I have a different reason for giving the woman a spin serve...it's more reliable than my hard serves. Most of the time, in mixed dbls, the woman is the weaker player so I'm not going to want to take a chance on doublefaulting to the weaker player.

kevhen
03-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Why do women struggle with spin more? It is because of less experience with it? Lack of upper body strength to counter the incoming spin? The ball bounces higher and women aren't as tall?

I rarely lose serve in mixed and it's usually because the woman has a hard time returning my serves which include kick, slice, and big flat bombs. I usually slice more to get a high percentage in so that I don't DF against the woman. Most women haven't seen a good slice and really struggle with it. Kick works good too as others here have noted. Some women handle flat pretty well and have good timing on those.

J011yroger
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I think it is a hard wired in thing. Guys see and analyze spin better, we are more visually oriented. Maybe it has something to do with tracking down and killing mastodons. This at least has been my experience, especially in lessons when I play practice sets against 2.5-4.0 girls/women. I have very healthy batspeed so it is difficult for me to slow down my swing, and when I take off pace to hit with a lesson I usually just convert it to more spin, and it is very hard for them to deal with. If I hit a rally slice backhand that sweeps right to left. . . fuhgettaboutit. Same thing with serves. If the lesson is too advanced for me to just dink the serve in, I try a light topspin/slice serve about 40-50mph and any woman under 3.5 usually just locks up looking at the thing come in because they have no idea what it is going to do when it hits. The guys may get fooled the first time or two but they get the hang of it much faster than the girls.

I am firmly convinced that men see, and analyze visual data better than women, and that women smell and hear better than men. Why, I have no idea.

J

Topaz
03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, the reason *this* woman has trouble with spin serves is because I'm short. If it kicks up, I have trouble with it until I know how to adjust. Really, not necessarily a gender thing at all.

Cindysphinx
03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I have trouble with spin because you just don't see it in 3.0. The only time I see it is when some dude is blasting away at me in 7.0 mixed.

I'm getting better, though. I think many women of my generation just didn't play sports as kids, so we have some catching up to do.

I remember in my noob beginner tennis class that none of my female classmates -- and I do mean *none* -- could figure out where a high-bouncing ball would go. It was astonishing. The instructor would hit a high lob that would bounce behind the T, and the ladies would run to the bounce of the ball and then be *shocked* when it bounced too high to reach. Again and again, they would repeat this mistake.

This inability to track a bouncing ball struck me as totally weird.

jkonecne
03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah I think a lot of the spin trouble has to do with height, because there are women that can deal with it just fine. Also, women aren't used to seeing the ball kick as much so it might take them a while to get used to it.

heycal
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah I think a lot of the spin trouble has to do with height, because there are women that can deal with it just fine. Also, women aren't used to seeing the ball kick as much so it might take them a while to get used to it.

I'm not buying the height theory. If that were true, how would that explain women's inability to deal with slice shots that stay low and/or spin sideways or backwards? If anything, it should be easier for them if they're shorter since they're closer to the ground...

I know a women who is maybe a weak 3.5, and she has a 13 year old son of roughly similar ability who is shorter than her. He can handle spin no problem, and hits tons of it himself.

Cindysphinx
03-30-2007, 02:40 AM
I also think spin requires faster footwork. This might also be an area where guys with sports experience would excel.

EZRA
03-30-2007, 03:48 AM

It's just getting used to it.. nothing to do with height really since you can always take it on the rise or stay behind the baseline and wait for it to come down. Taking it on the rise would be a more offensive option since you can cut the angle, get him out of position, and use the pace of his serve to your advantage.

aidenous
03-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Do any of you play with your spouse and have any problems? My wife and I have had some problems getting along when we play together. It's funny how you play and act different when playing with your spouse.

cak
03-30-2007, 06:26 AM
I prefer to play mixed with my husband. For some reason other guys seem to think I'm open to advice on how to play. My husband knows how much I pay professionals for advice each week, and knows better than to go there. However, one season I was the mixed 6.0 captain. I took the job so I could play with my husband, as the former mixed captain didn't think it was prudent to pair husband and wives, even if they requested it. So, I start out telling folks that if they want to play with their spouse, just tell me, and I would pair them up. At the beginning of the season everyone wanted to play with their spouse. At the end we were down to one couple, other than my husband and I, who didn't get to play together as much as we'd planned.* At one point I took three couples and had all the ladies shift one over so no one was playing with their spouse. The really funny thing was in most cases one spouse asked not to be partnered with their husband/wife, but didn't want them to know they requested that. Yeah, how I am I going to pull that off.

*About a week before the season opened I broke my arm. We did get to play three matches together at the end of the season. And my husband and I were undefeated as a team. After that season I was moved up, and we no longer added up to 6.0. The 7.0 mixed captain is a fixture at our club, and would never consider putting a 6.5 pair out there, especially if the woman was the higher rating.

blakesq
03-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Oh yes, my girlfriend and I almost didn't get married because of us playing mixed doubles together. I am a 4.0, she was probably 2.5 to a 3.0 (she is a solid 3.0 now, edging up into 3.5). We did get married, but haven't played mixed doubles since. I am thinking about trying again though. HOpe springs eternal!

Blakesq

Do any of you play with your spouse and have any problems? My wife and I have had some problems getting along when we play together. It's funny how you play and act different when playing with your spouse.

oldguysrule
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Oh yes, my girlfriend and I almost didn't get married because of us playing mixed doubles together. I am a 4.0, she was probably 2.5 to a 3.0 (she is a solid 3.0 now, edging up into 3.5). We did get married, but haven't played mixed doubles since. I am thinking about trying again though. HOpe springs eternal!

Blakesq

We play mixed leagues and tournaments that are close to us. It is always for FUN, but I like to win. If we win, I give her all the credit. I think the woman makes the difference most of the time. If we lose, it is always my fault. We have had some tense times but I can always trace it to my attitude. Don't give instuction or advice, even if she asks for it. Have FUN.

kevhen
03-30-2007, 08:45 AM
'For some reason other guys seem to think I'm open to advice on how to play. My husband knows how much I pay professionals for advice each week, and knows better than to go there.'

Any good doubles team should be talking back and forth about what they need to be doing to win the match. If you are shutting out your partner's advice and only listening to your instructor's advice then you will struggle playing doubles with others with such a fixed view.

Cindysphinx
03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm with CAK. Yes, let's talk strategy. No, let's not talk about my stroke mechanics or why I made my most recent error. I have a coach for that.

heycal
03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
I also think spin requires faster footwork. This might also be an area where guys with sports experience would excel.

One thing a friend and I have noticed about some of the 3.0-3.5ish women we know is that they move side to side okay, but not very well diagonally or at angles. We sometimes refer to them now as chess pieces, as in "remember, Mary is a rook not a bishop, so if you hit a shallow shot in front and to the left of her, she's going to have a lot of trouble getting to it."

kevhen
03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't know of many doubles partners who have ever talked about stroke mechanics, usually just strategy and court positioning and immediate things that can be changed to help win a match.

I think women struggle with spin more just because most of them hit flat-mild topspin shots so they never have to deal with slice or heavy topspin when playing with other women. Mostly just lack of experience. Men may be more flexible to new situations (but they may have seen slice and heavy topspin before) and able to adjust quicker but some women can adjust too but many don't. Younger guys with less experience seem to have a hard time dealing with my slices but the older guys usually have it figured out after 1 set.

The once rated D1 lady I play with can get back my 110mph flat bombs but she struggles with my 80mph slice serves. She just probably never saw many big slice serves when she played so it's new to her even though she saw everything else and can handle everything else.

Cindysphinx
03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
One thing a friend and I have noticed about some of the 3.0-3.5ish women we know is that they move side to side okay, but not very well diagonally or at angles. We sometimes refer to them now as chess pieces, as in "remember, Mary is a rook not a bishop, so if you hit a shallow shot in front and to the left of her, she's going to have a lot of trouble getting to it."

I guess I'm a King, then . . . :)

kevhen
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Funny! One space at a time.

Tennis chess would be a cool game. I have been accused of turning tennis into a game of chess. I use my various serves to trap my opponent into an uncomfortable postion and then tend to work my groundstrokes all over the court with different angles and different spins and then am usually in the right position to hit the next shot to further move my opponent to a new and uncomfortable position on the court.

If you beat me, then you don't have alot of weaknesses in your game as I will try to find them and exploit them, be it forehand, backhand, volley, low balls, footspeed, conditioning, spins, overheads, etc. It only takes one glaring weakness to really bring down your game if your opponent knows how to exploit it.

cak
03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Any good doubles team should be talking back and forth about what they need to be doing to win the match. If you are shutting out your partner's advice and only listening to your instructor's advice then you will struggle playing doubles with others with such a fixed view.

For some reason I've noticed women, in general, are happy to tell their partner what they will do, such as, "if you serve down the T I will poach." or "If you are pulled out wide I will cover the middle." Or even, "I can cover the lobs, I really can run." Or, they will talk strategy, "Let's try hitting at the lady in the blue, even if she's at net. She looks a bit rattled." "How about if one of us stays at least back at the service line, that woman can lob."

But the men I play with tend to think they can fix the game we are in the midst of by having me change my serve, or perhaps change my grip. Or maybe even try out a new stroke I haven't tried before. And this is when we are winning. I find it hard to believe they would tell a male partner some of the stuff they are telling me. And I suspect that's why their wives won't play with them.

EZRA
03-30-2007, 12:56 PM
I had a very successful doubles partnership with someone over this past winter. She was confident enough to poach after my first serve - I admit I have a big flat first serve (and sometimes I do slice it away from the opponents) and the opponents would often pop up the return. I am also very confident with her game.. and being the stronger player, I don't hog the court and poach everything I can get my racquet on.... I let her play her game - and I don't tell her to do anything that's out of her capabilities. I don't lecture her about where to stand or where to run or whatever.... doing so would only pressure my partner and that's the last thing I really wanna do.
We also try to encourage each other between points (regardless if we were losing or winning the point). We communicate and we keep it fun and simple... not so much as to talking about strategies but mostly we just try to keep loose and have fun.... even to joke and laugh about stupid mistakes and unforced errors. I believe in having fun with recreational tennis... no reason for recreational players to take it so seriously, It's feels nice if you win but losing ain't all that bad really - it's just tennis and tennis is supposed to be fun.

(notice how many times I mentioned FUN on this post.... somehow people forget the fact that Tennis is all about having fun).

Topaz
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not buying the height theory. If that were true, how would that explain women's inability to deal with slice shots that stay low and/or spin sideways or backwards? If anything, it should be easier for them if they're shorter since they're closer to the ground...

I know a women who is maybe a weak 3.5, and she has a 13 year old son of roughly similar ability who is shorter than her. He can handle spin no problem, and hits tons of it himself.

Well, *this* woman has no problem with low shots...they are my favorite, in fact. Maybe you should try not lumping an entire gender into one big generalization?

heycal
03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, *this* woman has no problem with low shots...they are my favorite, in fact. Maybe you should try not lumping an entire gender into one big generalization?

We'll see about this once we arrange the legendary heycal v. Topaz grudge match. I'm going to low-slice ya till you can't see straight!

Lumping an entire gender in one big generalization has worked for me pretty well so far in life, and apparently for many other posters in this thread who've made similar generalizations about women (or men, like Cak has done), so I see no need to change that policy now.

marcl65
03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I think this whole gender debate is a non-issue. IMO, the ability to handle spin is based on a player's level, not gender. I play with plenty of 3.5 women that can handle spin (serves, sliced backhands, et al) just fine. Conversely, I've played with plenty of 3.0 men that can't.

J011yroger
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Obviously we are talking about the same level players. There are 5.0 men who have trouble with my spin, and 7.0 men who have trouble with Nadal's spin.

I mean, it goes without saying that a 5.5 D1 college girl can handle any spin a 3.5 guy can throw her way, and Sharapova could handle any spin that I could come up with.

J

csb
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Where i live we have three seasons and two of them are mixed. I honestly don't understand why. The only reason i can come up with is that its easier to schedule when you have one mixed league instead of two gender leagues.
I really don't know too many men who prefer mixed . I have played on a couple mixed teams mainly because i was friends with the captains and to me it for the most part seemed kind of recreational. Plus its kind of a pain if something comes up up at the last minute because at least in a gender league you can have one sub waiting in the wings .

tennismax88
04-01-2007, 01:19 AM
I have been playing Mixed for a few years now and have been co-captaining mixed teams last couple years. At one point I have told myself I am not going to play Mixed anymore because to find a partner that is a good match for you is really hard. Not to mention I am not really a net person! LOL I do have a very good baseline game I can get away with it most of the time. So usually I would prefer to play with a partner that have a net game. But some of the partners that I have are just too eratic and it's frustrating.

I remembered first match I played this year, my partner (my captain) would totally missed an easy setter at the net (few times) by not hitting the ball at all or over hit overhead to the fence. I will tell her to just take your time and if we have to start the point over because we couldnt put a ball away is alright. I guess she did not like my advice and now once a while in front of our friends she will tell them she does not like a partner to tell her what to do and not having confidence in her. LOL Middle of the season she brought on a player that she thinks is better than me and she will also tell people that now she has an "upgrade" referring to her new partner. Though I have a winning record this year and is playing mixed better this year, I can feel that my captain really does not have a lot of confident in me and my game which is very troubling for me as I have consider her a good friend.

Raiden.Kaminari
04-01-2007, 02:06 AM

I don't act differently, but my wife claims I do. I've always tried to stay positive as a partner, but I feel like walking on glass whenever I partner with my wife :( Anything I say usually leads to me sleeping on the couch, even though we enter tournaments for fun (since we have no hope of winning).

Unless your girlfriend/wife is mature enough, DO NOT PLAY MIXED DOUBLES.

I have been playing Mixed for a few years now and have been co-captaining mixed teams last couple years. At one point I have told myself I am not going to play Mixed anymore because to find a partner that is a good match for you is really hard. Not to mention I am not really a net person! LOL I do have a very good baseline game I can get away with it most of the time. So usually I would prefer to play with a partner that have a net game. But some of the partners that I have are just too eratic and it's frustrating.

I remembered first match I played this year, my partner (my captain) would totally missed an easy setter at the net (few times) by not hitting the ball at all or over hit overhead to the fence. I will tell her to just take your time and if we have to start the point over because we couldnt put a ball away is alright. I guess she did not like my advice and now once a while in front of our friends she will tell them she does not like a partner to tell her what to do and not having confidence in her. LOL Middle of the season she brought on a player that she thinks is better than me and she will also tell people that now she has an "upgrade" referring to her new partner. Though I have a winning record this year and is playing mixed better this year, I can feel that my captain really does not have a lot of confident in me and my game which is very troubling for me as I have consider her a good friend.
Every problem I've seen with mixed occurs whenever the women are excessively competitive. My best mixed partners are women who laugh at both our mistakes. I can't stand when a partner only thinks about winning. Winning for me is the end result of my partner and I doing the right thing at the right time, and for luck to be with us as well.

J011yroger
04-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Raiden,

Do you find that in mixed that the women are more competitive/serious, and that the guys are more laid back/just having fun? Around here with the recreational players, it seems like the girls are out to win, and the guys are just out goofing around and playing tennis with their gf/wife/friend.

J

PBODY99
04-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Mixed in the USTA leagues is a no win for many of the men in my club. The saying that men can lose the match while women win it seems to be all too true. With the tendency of many teams in the 7.0 & 8.0 to use a male who is a point higher rated than the Lady, you get the scenario were the stronger player using the usual pattern can't get the results from the forcing shots they expect. They volley, serve\overhead being the biggest problem.

EZRA
04-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Raiden,

Do you find that in mixed that the women are more competitive/serious, and that the guys are more laid back/just having fun? Around here with the recreational players, it seems like the girls are out to win, and the guys are just out goofing around and playing tennis with their gf/wife/friend.

J

Reminds me of a player who plays around the metro league ....she's really intense... smacks her head, curses to herself... and once, I heard someone say that he saw her smashing her car with her racquet right after a practice match... a practice match.

Raiden.Kaminari
04-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Raiden,

J

Yes. Most guys are laid back and about having fun with their gf/wife. Women who are just friends are often pretty intense about winning, unless the guy specifically tells the women he's only about having fun.

The only women who I find that aren't too competitive are the ones that were competitive in any sport when they were younger, and have realized that adult sports are just recreation ... nothing more, nothing less.

The women who are competitive, I find live through their children, and/or live through their sport, usually try to get the largest WMD they can find to beat their opponent to a pulp.

They usually also form the cliques to exclude people from a "competitive" team, without realizing that tennis is what brings people together, even for a few moments.

J011yroger
04-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Yea, I mean whenever I play mxd it is like a hit and giggle type of thing, and if someone on the other team gets a little frisky all I usually have to do is hit one of my normal serves. That usually snaps them out of it.

I would love to play a couple of mixed tournaments this year, but gotta find a decent partner.

J

Netgame
04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
At the 8.0, the team with the strongest guy on the court usually wins. That is, if there is a 5.0ish guy playing as 4.5 (which is my case), I'll usually be strong enough to take over the match by stationing my 3.5 partner 3 feet from the net and making sure that I handle all of the lobs. My partner still gets a lot of shots sent her way, but she is close enough to the net to always hit downward into the court. The best 8.0 teams tend to be 4.5male/3.5female combos.

I play 8.0 mixed (only because it's winter and there's no other leagues!). I find that if the woman can just "neutralize" the other male, then we will win. "All she has to do" is get a lot of the balls back that he hits. I think it usually comes down to which woman is playing better. We usually beat the 4.5 men/3.5 women combos, unless the woman is a ringer.

Travlerjm......your strategy of stationing the woman at the net is a very good one at the 7.0 level if she is weak and you are strong. I played some 7.0 a couple of years ago and would put my lady partner at the net, and then I would stand back towards almost the middle of the court, leaving a nice tempting target to hit ON MY SIDE!

spiderman123
04-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Reminds me of a player who plays around the metro league ....she's really intense... smacks her head, curses to herself... and once, I heard someone say that he saw her smashing her car with her racquet right after a practice match... a practice match.

Smashing her own car with her own racquet is not intense, it is stupid.:)

BiGGieStuFF
04-02-2007, 08:30 AM
I'll be trying out the mixed doubles this summer. should be a good experience. Mainly I'm looking for more court time and just to have some fun.

BigJEFF
04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
My record over the laST 5 YRS IN 7.0 IS LIKE 1-12 WITH 8 MATCHES LOST IN THE 3RD SET tIE BREAKERS and never making it out of district play MY RECORD IN 8.0 IS LIKE 18 -4 over that same period with one loss at Sectionals and the team going to Nationals.... It just goes to show it all about the Ladies in Mixed..... in 7.0 I was always playing against a very strong 3-0 Girl. One year this 3.0 Girl aced me with a serve over 100mph I swear I about went crazy "sandbaggers" while my partner double faulted at lesat 2 or 3 times every time she served and every point in the tie breaker That was a JOY...... I am done with 7.0 Never Again Funny thing is the one match I did win I had to be the biggest *** in the world I was playing a pretty strong 3-0 girl but a weak 4-0 guy. He was more intimidated by me than she was he had a ok first serve but his second serve was weak and short almost like hitting an over head off the bounce. We broke him to start the match and I was serving next . I hit a big serve down the tee at the Guy he didnt touch it and went to get it off the fence I thought I hit an ace she stood there looking at the tee for alomost 6 seconds then she called it out.. I said OK kinda laughing a little shrugged it off No biggie. second serve kick out wide flloater to my Girl Boom right off the fence we lose point... I serve to the lady now Kick serve back of line she misses completely guys goes get ball 5 seconds later she calls out again No prob kinda give her a look Kick serve again this time about 3 04 inches inside line off her Racquet I win point and look at her and she is staring at line and I swear she puts her finger up as to call the ball out I walk up to the net now its like 100 degrees out I have never won a 7.0 match I am a little ****ed anyway now I have Helen Keller calling lines on me I asked if she needed to go get her Glasses out of her car or at Home and I go sit down and told her I would wait. she was;nt ammused at my commet or actions neither was he and told me not to talk to her that way I can't tell you what I said to Him. We won in strait sets 7-6 7-6 my partner had 12 double faults 3 everytime she served I am done with 7.0 Neither of them would shake my hand after the Match the only time that has ever happened to me in my Tennis carreer in proably over 500 tournies and thousand league matches over 24 yrs also My wife was mad at me for acting the way I did But that lady had it coming thats my 7.0 story...NEVER NEVER AGAIN

Raiden.Kaminari
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
BigJeff ...

Please use paragraphs.