PDA

View Full Version : Question about rules

Aykhan Mammadov
03-12-2004, 09:47 AM
If during serving of first or second service your strings are broken which rule is applied? Are you allowed to replay the point from the first service ?

jayserinos99
03-12-2004, 10:14 AM
If you miss the serve, you don't get another chance at it. The point counts. It's the same when you break your strings during a groundstroke; you have to keep playing with the broken strings. That's why you see a lot of professionals use string savers to keep them from breaking.

Bungalo Bill
03-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Jay is correct, 2nd serve.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Don't you think that broken string is the let according Clause 13 of the Rules and must be considered as something unexpected, so the whole point must be replayed ?

Camilio Pascual
03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
No, one should expect strings to break every now and then while playing tennis. Me hitting a BH d-t-l winner - now that's something unexpected!

Aykhan Mammadov
03-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Generally speaking, my question is stupid, because as Jay mentioned it is the equivalent of the similar case - broken strings but during ordinary point.

So forget, right question is - "should a point be replayed when your strings or your racket is broken accidentally during play?"

Of course, all of us saw how a player missed a point because of the broken strings. So as you told - probably point is not replayed. But I'm asking you about the Rules. Can you derive that legally or by logical deduction somehow from the Rules ?

Rules 2004 you can find on www.itftennis.com

Bungalo Bill
03-12-2004, 04:26 PM
You must maintain your equipment. Now if a bird dropped dudu in your eye as you served, that might be considered a let. :)

Cypo
03-12-2004, 09:39 PM
LOL Camilio, but when it happens, do you replay the point ?

Verbal_Kint
03-13-2004, 01:53 AM
When the returner breaks his string while returning a first serve that was out, and he gets another racket, the server will have a first serve again though..

Marnix

Aykhan Mammadov
03-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Camilio: " No, one should expect strings to break every now and then while playing tennis."

One also should expect that the ball is broken. Anyhow - Article 13 of the Rules 2004 : " If a ball becomes broken the let should be called" ( what means that the point is replayed).

Do you think that broken strings are more guilty than broken ball ? Where is a logic?

Verbal Kint : "When the returner breaks his string while returning a first serve that was out, and he gets another racket, the server will have a first serve again though.. "

Verbal, it means exactly that the let is called according Article 13. So why not to call it if server's string is broken?

Verbal_Kint
03-14-2004, 02:15 AM
When the returner gets another racket, he is disturbing the service sequence of the server, which will always yield a first service, maybe with the exception of something that's about the safety of the server (a ball behind his feet for instance).

Marnix

Aykhan Mammadov
03-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Verbal Kint, thank you for your inclusion.

As I understand you are talking about just first service. When it is out, the ball is not already in the play, because the point has decided already. So of course receiver may go and change a racket, this case concerns rather delay of the game than broken strings. Your example is right.

But my question about accidental braking string ( or racket ) during the time while ball is in the play. Imagine yourself the case when the same first service is not out but receiver breaks strings trying to return that first service.

That is I can't find answer to such a standard case - broken strings or racket in the text of the Rules 2004. May be you know and it is somewhere written?

Verbal_Kint
03-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Indeed, I didn't answer on the breaking if the string. I don't know where you would find the answer to your question in writing, but I've seen numerous occasions where a (pro)player broke his strings and finished the point. No let was called, so I assume this would also be the way to handle string breakage in an amateur match.

Marnix

tarheelbornjohn
03-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Given the orignial question. If a server breaks a string and the shot goes in the play continues and the point counts. If he/she misses the first serve the server must change to a racket with unbroken strings (it is against the rules to start a point with a racket that has a broken string). The server then would serve his second service (although the recieving player may grant the server to start a first service it is not automatic). If the reciever breaks his string on the first service that is out he must replace the racket before the next serve. Since it broke the flow of the service point the server starts with the first serve again. If the serve is in and the returner breaks a string on the return the point is played out and counts. The racket is then replaced after the point.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-16-2004, 03:47 PM
tarheelbornjohn, many thanks for your inclusion.

Anyhow my stupid question about service transferred later in the same topic to the following: " Should a point be replayed when your strings or your racket is broken accidentally during play?"

Some people already answered to it in the same manner as you. You are right it is against rules to play with broken strings ( moreover with broken racket), but isn't it strange that server is permitted to play with broken strings till the end of point if his serve was in? And isn't it strange that when his serve missed despite he also breaks the flow of the play he isn't permited to serve from the first service, while receiver is allowed?

What about broken racket ? And finally - the main meaning of my question is to prove or deduct an answer based on the official Rules 2004 because formally we can't accept anything else, can you explain your answer basing on Rules 2004 ?

Verbal_Kint
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
When the ball is in play, the point has to be played out. When the first serve is missed, the ball is not in play, so the server has to switch. It's the server's duty to make sure his racquet holds up (or not) so he doesn't need to get another first serve.

Marnix

Aykhan Mammadov
03-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Verbal_Kint, thank you for your inclusion.

Not agree with you.

1. "When the ball is in play, the point has to be played out." This is not right statement. For example, if ball is broken, or the bird starts to prevent - play is interrupted. So why for it not to be interrupted if racket is broken?

2. "It is server's duty..." Again don't agree with you. This is an accident. You can complain not only the player, but also manufacture, humidity and etc, hundreds of reasons. For example, when the ball is broken, the let is called as I told before ( by Rules 2004), but this case also may be considered as the guilt of the player ( very strong hit), manufacturer and etc.

Verbal_Kint
03-17-2004, 04:23 AM
When the ball is broken, there's not much of a point to be played out, is there? All I can further elaborate on the matter is: because that's the way it is. Maybe you could send an e-mail to the ITF and ask what they think?

Marnix