PDA

View Full Version : Can i be good at singles and bad at doubles?

Ryan in Saratoga
03-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I went out for my high school team this year and i just had my first try outs. it was only 1 hour with 7 other people who the coach has not seen play before. Anyway to make a long story short, i was playing like a 3.5 and i did horrible luckily 6 of the 7 were playing and are 2.5's to 3.0's. So my coach told me and one other kid to show up for a private practice on monday. Just as our group was leaving practice our team's singles players were starting their practice. So i stuck around for the extra hour to see how they played. Out of the 6 i would say i am better than two of them. The worst two were freshmen and although they werent bad i am pretty sure i can beat them.

My problem is I hate doubles. We started practice by playing doubles and that is what we did the whole time. After i thought to myself that i would never play doubles as i just dont like it. I figured maybe i was in a bad mood so the next day i played a round robin doubles and i did poorly again and again realized i hate doubles. I feel like i am so much better at singles. i hit my shoots better when playing singles and my vollies are better in singles than doubles.

My question is should i tell my coach i dont like doubles? or should i let it go the way it is going? I dont want to sound too pushy or anything but at the same time i want him to know how i feel.

ibringtheHEAT
03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
DONT TELL YOUR COACH YOU DONT LIKE DOUBLES.........

my reason for saying this is, I did that in junior high and got kicked from the team. just slowly make your way up the ladder and you'll be in the singles area if your really good enough. Coaches have reasons for putting people as doubles or singles. Singles (usually) are stronger than doubles, and the doubles are the worse (usually) out of the team.

Just don't complain and play as if it were a singles match, theres no reason why you shouldnt be good at doubles and singles...........its all tennis.

PrinceDiablo525
03-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Did you play doubles with somebody you like or don't, because that can make a difference. I play doubles on my high school team with my friend and we do really well, but I have had to play with some people who get really negative and that had a negative affect on me also. So you could try to get with a friend or somebody you get along with so you can communicate better.

You might not be good at doubles because you like to play the baseline and doubles is a huge amount of serve and volleying. Groundstrokes can also get cold in doubles because you aren't hitting as many, so try to focus on everything that you have to do to hit a good forehand or backhand.

p0w3r
03-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Yea seriously...dont tell your coach that you dont like doubles since thats where you are probably gonna end up seeing as you are first starting off in the team.

Just try to play your best...

Ryan in Saratoga
03-25-2007, 04:25 AM
alright thanks, i guess i will have to just deal with it. As far as who i play with, i have played with many people most are people i know and like. I just feel much more crowed in doubles and i like to have wide open courts.

Duzza
03-25-2007, 04:31 AM
I love both to be honest. I love having big long baseline slug matches in singles, but also love the rushing to the net in doubles. I guess you can be good at singles and bad at doubles, of course.

J-man
03-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't tell your coach about your feeling on doubles. Not everyone is a super star at doubles and they will go through it too. Plus doubles is more tennis (which you want, I hope) and it will in the long run improve your singles.

On a side note. My friend is play on the high school team and is the #5 slot. He isn't that bad and could probably beat the #2 and #3 players on the team. He was the #4 slot but was challenged by the #5 and lost. The thing is he isn 't used to practicing everyday and playing matches every other day and was extremely tired and lost. So my question is, Do you think the challenge system is fair?

TennisNinja
03-25-2007, 06:01 PM
I think it's possible to be better at singles and worse at doubles, or vice versa, but I would play both, because playing one helps the other (In my opinion).

Ryan in Saratoga
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
again i had practice today and again i played doubles. I went into the practice pumped and ready to play with a positive mind set. Again the same happened to me. As i played doubles i could not get really any good shots. I got a few but not many. I dont like relying on people and i dont want people to rely on me. I know i can beat the 5th and 6th spot singles but is there anyway to tell my coach that i would rather play singles than doubles. Right now, i am not even a starting double. I know my serve is weak but my ground strokes are solid and i know i can beat the last two singles. Anyone have any suggestions. my coach has never seen me play singles but i dont know how to show him i am better at singles than doubles.

TennisNinja
03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Try not to hit winners a lot, as hitting balls at your opponents feet is a better way to win more matches. It's also great to have a good strategy with your partner, and the more you play together, the better you'll get at doubles.

Good luck.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
normally my strategy in sinlges is to hit deep into the left then go into the right. Back and forth to get my opponent tired then i normally hit a winner. if my opponent is in good shape i normally will use alot of drop shots. I also rely on my fitness to win me matches. I dont hit many winners at all but i hit shoots that are hard to get to. I prefer to tire my opponent rather than hitting winners and i rely on my fitness to get me through 5 setters without being tired.

In doubles my left to right strategy doesnt work at all and my drop shots, well i really dont use them because they get hit back 3x's as hard. And since the points are quick i cant tire anyone out.

TheAeropro
03-26-2007, 05:51 PM
i like doubles. usually the baseliners crosscourt to each other. then i'll just cut off a shot and slam it down their throats

Freedom
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
DON'T tell your coach you dislike doubles until after you're on the team. If you start asking for favors during tryouts, don't expect to make the team.

BreakPoint
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Just remember that singles and doubles are two completely different games, but to be a complete tennis player, you need to be good at both. So keep practicing your doubles and you'll get better at it. It doesn't sound like you're going to be top 3 in singles on your team anytime soon so it might be better to focus more on the doubles if you want to be a starting player for your team sooner.

BTW, yes, you can get away with a weak serve in singles but not in doubles. Both your serves and your returns need to be much more precise (and hopefully more powerful) in doubles than in singles so that you or your partner can get weak returns to put away when you're serving and avoid the net man when you're returning. So work on your serving, volleying, and crosscourt returns. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good luck with your team.

TennisNinja
03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
It's also great to poach a lot when you're the net player, and that's a good way to win points.

Kaptain Karl
03-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I *am* a HS Coach and I'd strongly urge you to ... rephrase ... what you wish to discuss with your Coach. Instead of the "I hate dubs" stuff, ask for a minute of time with him and say something like, "I'm learning Doubles is a very different game from Singles and I'm feeling very 'out of my element' having to depend on a partner and playing angles that are so different." (If you really want to be part of the team) say, "Do you have some tips / a DVD / a video / a book / or someone who can advise me on Doubles Strategy or Tactics?"

See? That's a more constructive way....

If I had a dollar for every kid who was *sure* he was better than my (#2 or #3 Singles Player) and in reality wasn't even the sixth best Singles player, I'd be putting more gut in my rackets. As a Coach I am highly suspicious of your self-appraisal....

As BreakPoint wrote, they are two different games and one will help the other. Get better at dubs this year ... next year you might have a shot at one of the singles slots.

I played my HS Tennis Upstate. Do you still play six Singles and three Doubles? (Here, we play 3S and 4D, so dubs is actually where I put some of my better players. I can lose all the Singles and still with the match.)

- KK

BreakPoint
03-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I played my HS Tennis Upstate. Do you still play six Singles and three Doubles? (Here, we play 3S and 4D, so dubs is actually where I put some of my better players. I can lose all the Singles and still with the match.)

Wow, I guess some high schools in some States are more serious about tennis than others. 6 singles and 3 doubles or 3 singles and 4 doubles? :-o How do you manage to find so many open courts to play on?

I played high school tennis in NJ and we only had 3 singles and 2 doubles. And even then, one match had to wait for the four others to finish as our home courts only had four courts. :-(

TheAeropro
03-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Wow, I guess some high schools in some States are more serious about tennis than others. 6 singles and 3 doubles or 3 singles and 4 doubles? :-o How do you manage to find so many open courts to play on?

I played high school tennis in NJ and we only had 3 singles and 2 doubles. And even then, one match had to wait for the four others to finish as our home courts only had four courts. :-(

yeah, we have a 3s 2d format. our high school has 5 courts, luckily, but they are terrible.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-27-2007, 03:33 AM
I *am* a HS Coach and I'd strongly urge you to ... rephrase ... what you wish to discuss with your Coach. Instead of the "I hate dubs" stuff, ask for a minute of time with him and say something like, "I'm learning Doubles is a very different game from Singles and I'm feeling very 'out of my element' having to depend on a partner and playing angles that are so different." (If you really want to be part of the team) say, "Do you have some tips / a DVD / a video / a book / or someone who can advise me on Doubles Strategy or Tactics?"

See? That's a more constructive way....

If I had a dollar for every kid who was *sure* he was better than my (#2 or #3 Singles Player) and in reality wasn't even the sixth best Singles player, I'd be putting more gut in my rackets. As a Coach I am highly suspicious of your self-appraisal....

As BreakPoint wrote, they are two different games and one will help the other. Get better at dubs this year ... next year you might have a shot at one of the singles slots.

- KK

we have 6 singles and 6 doubles spots(so three dub teams) on our team, i believe we have 10 courts. I know i am not as good as the #1 or #2 or #3 spot but i know that i am better than the#5 and the #6. I know self assesment may not be the best way to tell but i have watched these two kids for 3 practices and i know i am better than them.

That said i dont know how to present this to my coach.

I have never told him i hate doubles nor would i tell him that, if i was to say something i would probably tell him i think i am better at singles than doubles. but i dont know if this is the best way either.

tennis-skater
03-27-2007, 03:35 AM
We have 5S 2D with 6 courts. But anyways just start practicing your serve why don't you just go hit with one of the singles players and then if you beat him you can tell your coach but if you don't no worries because you were supposed to lose anyways.

Ryan in Saratoga
03-27-2007, 12:09 PM
none of these kids actaully take time from their day to play tennis. They only play just during practice and during matches, and the courts outside are in snow right now. I guess i will have to think of something. Most will also be hesitent because i probably look pretty bad playing doubles but at sinlges i am much better.

Kaptain Karl
03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
... Most will also be hesitent because i probably look pretty bad playing doubles but at sinlges i am much better.You give yourself too much credit ... and your teammates too little. I've *rarely* seen a team where the top Singles players refuse to hit with a Dubs player (or even a JV player) for a while....

- KK

Ryan in Saratoga
03-27-2007, 01:05 PM
You give yourself too much credit ... and your teammates too little. I've *rarely* seen a team where the top Singles players refuse to hit with a Dubs player (or even a JV player) for a while....

- KK

i am not sure i am seeing what you are saying. By saying that i am only a 5 or 6 on singles is not too much credit and i also dont see how i am giving to little to my team. Truth be told maybe i could get someone to play with me but i dont have the $26 an hour it costs to play at the local Ymca.

Kaptain Karl
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Sorry. I didn't intend to be ... cryptic.

I meant just because a player is better / higher ranked than you, does not mean he won't hit with you for twenty minutes prior to "formal" practice....

- KK

PrinceDiablo525
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
My school has 4 singles and 6 doubles spots(3 teams), I didn't know that the layouts were so different in all the different states.

103xStateChamp
04-08-2007, 02:37 PM
If you really hate doubles and can't get a varsity singles spot, play JV singles

swuster
04-08-2007, 03:27 PM
3 singles and 3 doubles pairs for a total of 9 players, in my league.

If playing doubles drastically changes your game, then it's a mental thing and not solely the fact that there's four players on the court instead of two. You might have to place your shots a little differently but in the end, the fundamentals can be applied to both games.

I've played both doubles and singles on my team and I really have no preference; both of them have their advantages. Do not tell your coach that you hate doubles; there are a limited number of spots on the entire team, let alone just for singles, and I'm sure you'd like to keep playing as best you can to help out the team. Keep on working hard in practice and if you deserve a singles spot, you'll get it.

Firestarter
04-08-2007, 04:33 PM
i actually prefer doubles not because I am a weak player, but rather that I prefer volleying

Roger_Federer.
04-08-2007, 05:16 PM
You an be good at singles and bad at doubles, becuase in doubles you have to "be one" with your partner and think for him/her

EasternRocks
05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
very rare do i see a really skiled singles player be bad at doubles because a good players needs all the weapons of a good doubles player so they interact with each other

Matt_MS
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
normally my strategy in sinlges is to hit deep into the left then go into the right. Back and forth to get my opponent tired then i normally hit a winner. if my opponent is in good shape i normally will use alot of drop shots. I also rely on my fitness to win me matches. I dont hit many winners at all but i hit shoots that are hard to get to. I prefer to tire my opponent rather than hitting winners and i rely on my fitness to get me through 5 setters without being tired.

In doubles my left to right strategy doesnt work at all and my drop shots, well i really dont use them because they get hit back 3x's as hard. And since the points are quick i cant tire anyone out.

I'm just curious, but where does a 3.5 play a 5 set match?

MariaS
05-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Most will also be hesitent because i probably look pretty bad playing doubles but at sinlges i am much better.

You will be saying that till the cows come home. I'm still saying that! :-o

A.Davidson
05-23-2007, 12:11 PM
For the most part, those who "love singles and hate doubles" tend to be either pushers or baseliners who hit aggressive groundstrokes with tons of topspin. All-couters and (obviously) serve-and-volleyers will rarely belt out an anti-doubles mainfesto.