PDA

View Full Version : When you've got a target on your back...

atatu
03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
I guess this is a follow up to the "Winning...is it worth it" thread. When you've won your local league a couple of years in a row I guess it's pretty natural for other teams to target you and do everything they can to beat you, even if it means they lose out to other teams during the season. I don't mind that so much. What I don't llike is when other players in the league announce that their sole mission this year is to beat you and they make it a personal thing over some perceived or imagined slight. I just want to play tennis, it's not personal....anyway, anyone else feel this way ?

Cindysphinx
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
No.

All I want this season is to beat the following teams:

My old 3.0 captain's team.

My old mixed captain's team.

The current leader of our 6.5 winter division.

Hey, we're not going to win the division, so we have to have something to aim for, right? So I will use all my top players on those matches, even though those are not necessarily our toughest competitors. If we win those three matches and lose the other 8, I will be OK with that.

Don't take it personally, atatu. Everyone wants to be the team to pull off the big upset. Big upsets are exciting!

tennis-n-sc
03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
It's been a few years since I was in that position but it can be a little "different". When we were winning most of the local league and tournament activity, we always tried to be very nice, humble and respectful to and of our opponents, but it was still there, the "target." We always took it as a compliment to our team's ability. I'm sure there were some teams that hated our guts, though. No on knows how many curses were placed on us. :)

LoveThisGame
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
It's not easy being #1.

Everybody's shooting for you. Can't afford a bad day. The longer you stay on top, it can get harder ... if you let it get to you!

beernutz
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
People feeling this way about you is a compliment really. The real or imagined slights being used to inspire your opponents are just like coaches showing press clippings of an opponent's comments to their team before a big game (see Dorsey v. Oden for a recent example).

Geezer Guy
03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Well it's not quite the same thing, but I've been in several Singles leagues where I was the strongest player going in. I mean, you get the league schedule and you say, I've beat that guy, and that guy, and that guy... It's hard for me to get "up" for every match, and it seems my opponents have no problem gearing up for me. A couple of weeks ago my opponent told me he stayed home from work that day, took a mid-day nap, and drank plenty of water all day - just to be ready for our match that night!

If I'm scheduled to play a person that I've already beaten several times, it's hard for me to get psyched for the match. (Luckily, this doesn't happen very often!)

If I'm playing someone that I don't know, or someone that's beaten me in the past - THAT'S a match I'll be ready for.

kevhen
03-27-2007, 12:57 PM
When I lose a big match to someone, I usually work on the shots that I need to outperform that player the next time around. There is always the revenge factor but it's a compliment to the original winner, that a player will focus a lot of time and energy on his game in order to try and beat him at a later date.

Play up at a higher level if you feel like everyone is gunning for you at your current level.

J011yroger
03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I have kind of the same thing goin on. I am starting to get seeded in the local open tourneys, and it is a really strange feeling. Last tournament I was looking over the draw to see who I was supposed to play, started to get down to the bottom and am like "Where the heck is my name" only to find I was the #2 seed for the tournament, all the way at the bottom of the draw sheet. It is a wierd feeling for me because it is new. I don't so much care if the other players are gunning for me, but I feel kind of obligated to do the right thing, and play well. I feel like I should act professionally, show up early, and feel kind of obligated to do some damage in the draw. Whereas when I wasn't seeded, I just went in and played, and if I got whomped 0 and 2 in the first round, I just went home, and tried again next time.

J

volleyman
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Eh, if you're team is winning so consistently that folks are willing to benchmark their seasons by whether or not they beat you, take it for what it is: a compliment. :-)

BigJEFF
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Eh, if you're team is winning so consistently that folks are willing to benchmark their seasons by whether or not they beat you, take it for what it is: a complement. :-)

It is a compliment , The other teams don't alway realize it though in Kc it is extremely difficult to get out of the district and and even tougher to get out of Sectionals. So I guess it does give them some satifaction But after Nationals you can only have 3 players off of previous yr team we finished 2nd in the winter league. But I have some Tricks up my sleave for the summer LOL " its all about coaching "

tcjackson
04-07-2007, 08:02 AM
In looking at this thread, I realized that I know and have played with 3 of these posters! One is from the same metro area where I live, the other two are players from other states where I travel for business purposes. I've contacted both of those guys via this message board and set up some tennis with them.
The "Big Guy" has been an opponent and teammate of mine for several years. We are going to do our best to get back to National's again. The wheels are being put into motion right now. Watch out Croc!