PDA

View Full Version : Nike Shorts/Shorts Material Question

stormholloway
03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks to anyone who can help me.

I just bought a pair of the 5.5" constructed shorts Nike offers and am disappointed. The material is polyester pique. There's no stretch, they're thin, and feel cheap.

I had a pair of the shorter black Nike shorts Agassi wore in about 2002-2003. They're polyester probably, but softer, thicker and stretchy. I lost these and bought these constructed shorts.

My question is, what material were my old shorts? Polyester plain twill? If so, they don't seem to offer the shorter version anymore, I guess because Agassi is gone and all the players wear the longer ones.

Can anyone help me clarify this issue with the materials? I want a shorter, softer, and stretcher pair of shorts, not these thin unstretchy ones.

BreakPoint
03-26-2007, 06:42 PM
These are the ones that Agassi wore and probably the ones that you had:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMN9BAS.html

I know they look a lot longer in the pic, but in reality they are much shorter than most tennis shorts on the market today. This Nike Anytime short has been on the market for many years.

psamp14
03-26-2007, 06:56 PM
i dont think the shorts which you are talking about were made of polyester twill....since you describe them as thicker, stretchier, and softer, i'd imagine they were real comfortable

i've got a short like that, its the 9 inch inseam command short, from like fall/winter 2005 and it was also in the spring 2006 line, when i bought it

its exactly as you describe...i think it may be spandex....that command short is 88% polyester/12% spandex...feels nice

stormholloway
03-26-2007, 09:27 PM
These are the ones that Agassi wore and probably the ones that you had:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMANIKE-NMN9BAS.html

I know they look a lot longer in the pic, but in reality they are much shorter than most tennis shorts on the market today. This Nike Anytime short has been on the market for many years.

Yeah, but the shorts I got, the constructed shorts, are made of the same polyester pique as the anytime shorts, yet the shorts that I lost are not like the constructed shorts at all. My shorts, actually from '04 now that I remember, were bought in the Nike store and were stretchy with little drawstrings that crossed each other.

BP: do the anytime shorts feel the same as the constructed shorts to your knowledge?

BreakPoint
03-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, but the shorts I got, the constructed shorts, are made of the same polyester pique as the anytime shorts, yet the shorts that I lost are not like the constructed shorts at all. My shorts, actually from '04 now that I remember, were bought in the Nike store and were stretchy with little drawstrings that crossed each other.

BP: do the anytime shorts feel the same as the constructed shorts to your knowledge?
I've never owned the constructed shorts, but I have owned the Anytime shorts, and the Anytime shorts do have the stretchy polyester and the crossed drawstring that you're talking about. They also have a small zippered pocket in the back. I'm pretty sure these are the ones that you lost.

stormholloway
03-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I think you're right. In fact, I almost remember our having this conversation already. I guess it was the picture that threw me off. The 7" anytime shorts look just like the 9" sport shorts in the picture.

BreakPoint
03-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I think you're right. In fact, I almost remember our having this conversation already. I guess it was the picture that threw me off. The 7" anytime shorts look just like the 9" sport shorts in the picture.
Yeah, disregard that pic. The Anytime shorts look nowhere near that long in person.

thelimfactor
03-27-2007, 12:35 AM
I find most of the tennis shorts nowadyas are a bit thinner than from 10 years back....whether it be nike or adidas, they are nearly "see through" now days....and they describe them though as "wicking away sweat".

My old shorts and new ones are both 100% polyesyter....but its just that the new ones are thinner as the makers dont want them to retain as much sweat when wet. Thats my take

kHAoS
03-27-2007, 11:55 AM
The Nike Constructed short and Anytime short are made of the same Dri-Fit pique ployester knit material. This material has some give to it and will stretch. The Anytime short has a 7in inseam and looks nowhere near as long as the picture listed on this site.

The Nike Smooth Pull-On short uses the same material as the 9" Sport short. The polyester material is lighter and feels much thinner. I have both the Anytime short and the Sport short and my preference leans towards the Anytime pique knit material (it just feels more comfy and I even use them to sleep in), although I do like the longer length of the Sport short.