PDA

View Full Version : I prefer the "feel" of hitting flat to spinned

fastdunn
09-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Here,I don't think, is a usual question....
I'm warning this question might even sound stupid....

There is this sensation of your palm when you hit flat(feel A)
and slightly different feel when you give top-spin(feel B).
I don't know other poeple. This sensation is one of the reasons
why I play tennis. I just enjoy the sensation but
I never truely enjoy the "feel B".

I seem to enjoy "feel A" much more than "feel B" and thus
I tend to hit flatter. Is this same for everyone but still learn to
spin because you have to ? Or it's just me ?

I also feel more dis-comfort in wrist when you hit top spin.
For some reasons, feel of hitting under-spin is more enjoyable.

I'm wondering if I'm born this way or everybody feels pretty
much similar.... or there's some aquired taste of hitting with spin
(the feel).

I already warned you... Sorry if I wasted your time...
FD

skuludo
09-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Your technique will speak for itself. Its not a stupid question but if I can see the way you hit the ball I might understand how you feel when you hit the ball. Maybe I can even test it and give you a response.

papa
09-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, it might be a stupid question (although I really don't think there are stupid questions - stupid answers maybe) but how do you feel when the ball keeps sailing long? If you can keep the ball in and hitting it hard maybe it works for you but I don't think it works for most.

I was reading in another post that BB plays a power game. Unless he is extremely tall I would bet he plays with a great deal of spin or the ball would be hitting the fence (and probably going through it)on the fly. From what I read, most (or at least many) of the others would be doing the same thing.

I actually like the feel of a topspin hit - just seems more normal to me but maybe I'm just used to it. I actually would like to hit the ball flat at time but unless I'm well behind the baseline the results are unfortunately disappointing.

SoupyKnight
09-11-2004, 03:23 PM
I started with learning to spin, and I actually feel more comfortable with a high feeling of spin. As of now, hitting flat makes me feel like a hit or miss situation, like how my backhand was before, but I think the feel of spin is much more comfortable for me. Even on approach shots and such, getting a sense of heavy spin feels smoother to me.

newbie123
09-11-2004, 05:09 PM
fastdunn - I also prefer the feel of hitting flat. I'm a baseliner with western forehand and I usually hit with a lot of topspin. Lately, however, I have begun to hit more flat. I know how u mean when u say flat shots feel better. To me, it feels more solid, and you can feel the racquet flex on impact. With topspin, the shot is more crisp and sometimes doesnt feel as "solid" even though it may be a solid shot.

Mikael
09-11-2004, 05:56 PM
It is kind of obvious, isn't it. Some people prefer hitting flat, others prefer hitting with topspin. Some people enjoy attacking, others prefer the feel of a successful defense. It's a matter of taste.

Myself, I've always, always hit the ball flat. I have learned topspin along the way too, and it comes in handy with certain situations. But at heart I'm a risk taker. In the past, I often tried changing my style because I was getting beat all the time with my high error count... It took the fun away though. And these days I'm happy. My game has matured successfully, and my flat attacking strokes are very efficient.

fastdunn
09-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi, all thanks for input.

Could it be possible that my body's built that way ?
I have a slim body type with kinda weak ligaments.
I can crank up more pace than more muscular guys but
I seem to be less tolerant with continuously pounding
with top-spins...

Connors hit flat but very consistent. Korda hits flat but his plays
can differ like night and day. I've seen him on an off-day and he
surely looked like a club player...