PDA

View Full Version : A netman who somtimes scoops up a serve went a bit long

fastdunn
09-10-2004, 03:07 PM
This guy usually stands near "T" when his partner is returning
our serve. The problem is that he sometimes half-volley our serve
that went over the service line (he does it right at the T)..
AND THE FACT THAT HE CAN HALF VOLLEY OUR SERVES
NEAR SERVICE LINE SUGGESTS THAT HE CALLED OUR SERVES
OUT BEFORE IT LANDS ON THE COURT. Sometimes he scoops
up very close ones..

I guess he wouldn't do that if we request not to next time we play.
But I was wondering if there is any rule that we can apply to get
2 serves in this situation( or even point penalty?)

Early calls amy apply but don't know if we get 2 serves...

tetsuo10
09-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Ask him nicely. Tell him only the returner is only allowed to return the ball, and that you'll appreciate it if only the returner does so even if it's out. Or, have your net guy dispute that the serve was in and since he touched the ball, it's your point. If that doesn't work, aim for him on the serve next time. If it hits him, your point. Hopefully , it'll get him to back off.

papa
09-10-2004, 04:23 PM
No, you do NOT get two serves, you GET the point. Anytime the ball touches him/racquet or his partner/racquet prior to hitting the ground he losses the point - period, end of discussion. This includes clothing, hair, shoes, anything. The only way your going to cure this guy is by taking the point.

An extension of this is the type who during play like to catch the ball that most likely will go out. In order for a ball to be OUT it has to either land or touch something that is grounded (net post, fence, stands, chair, etc).

kreative
09-10-2004, 04:56 PM
he half volleys it, which means that the ball had hit the ground already. there should be no problem w/ him half volleying it to get it out of the way (unless it annoys you), but a call should be made that the serve was out, rather than him just hitting it. either a hand gesture, or verbal call.

fastdunn
09-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Doesn't half-volleying suggest he already made up his mind
that ball is going out before it lands ? The difference is that
he is not supposed to get it out of the way if it actaully
touch the line.

I definitely feel like he made a judgement before it lands.
If it's so obviously out, I wouldn't be annoyed.
I get annoyed when the ball landed reasonably close...
How does he know when the serve is flying
very fast ???

He contacts the ball only a few inches above the ground
and sometimes the ball bounced very close tot the line.

If it's determined as an "early call", I feel like we can ask for 2 serves...

bleach
09-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Maybe I'm not fully understanding the problem, but if your serve is out, it's out!

The fact that it was "pre-judged" out has no impact on it what so ever. How many balls to you judge as going out prior to actually hitting out? I personally wait until a ball has hit out to call it, or I'll make a "confirming" out call after it hits.

On the other hand, if the problem is that the out ball is being returned and that creates a distraction or delay, that is another matter. But from your comments you seem more trouble by the fact your serve is being pre-judged.

fastdunn
09-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Yes, my main problem is that he pre-judges the serve
and I don't think he should do it. I think one should see the bounce
and then make a call. In that sense, I'm claiming that the net man
should never scoop the serve. Somewhat similar to the code that
one should not hit the ball before 1st bounce and call "out" near
baseline....

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the problem, but if your serve is out, it's out!

The fact that it was "pre-judged" out has no impact on it what so ever. How many balls to you judge as going out prior to actually hitting out? I personally wait until a ball has hit out to call it, or I'll make a "confirming" out call after it hits.

On the other hand, if the problem is that the out ball is being returned and that creates a distraction or delay, that is another matter. But from your comments you seem more trouble by the fact your serve is being pre-judged.

bleach
09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Again, I really don't see I valid complaint.

Once a serve hits the court out, assuming it's called out, it's out. The only question you should have it "was the serve out or good?".

Remember some people are a really good judge as to whether the ball is out or not while its in flight (I'm not one of those). How do you do he doesn't see the bounce?

If I half-volleyed a out ball at the baseline because I pre-judged that ball was going out, would you have a problem with that?

Regardless, it does sound like your opponent is being a little tacky when he does what you describe and something that I would never do. But, this is not way entitles you to a first service. I would ask him not to do it if it really bothered me..

On a similar note, I was watching a doubles match the other day (early for my match). The server hit a serve long (by about 5-6 inches), the receiver didn't vocalize an out call. The server asked him to in the future. Later in the same game, the server hit a second serve that was 2-3 feet out. The receiver yelled "out", the server then told the receiver that he was being a jerk, that the serve was a obvious out and didn't need a verbal call.

I wanted to ask, at what point does a line call become obvious and need no call? That's why I always call out, but the further out it is, the quiter I am in doing so!

BTW, hitting a ball before the bounce is not a "code" issue, it's covered definitely in the rules.

fastdunn
09-13-2004, 02:14 PM
No I would not have problem in following situation because
my oponent proceeded with action he's supposed to do whether
the ball is in or out at the baseline.

But if you half volley very close serve and it happens to be "in",
you're not supposed to do that. Our team should get a point
instantly.

You're right about the issue being on calling it in or out.
It is a part of tennis code that we should not make a judgement call
before the ball bounce, IMHO.
You are supposed to find the space between the ball and the line
when it bounce. You are not supposed to make any call while the ball
is in the air...

We have right to give benefit of doubt on calls other team made.
It should be given a serious benefit of doubt if your opponent
makes an early call especially on serves.
I simply think net man's half-volleying serves qualifies for an
early judgement call and we deserve at least a replay or
2 serves...

FD

If I half-volleyed a out ball at the baseline because I pre-judged that ball was going out, would you have a problem with that?

papa
09-13-2004, 04:11 PM
kreative wrote:

"he half volleys it, which means that the ball had hit the ground already. there should be no problem w/ him half volleying it to get it out of the way (unless it annoys you), but a call should be made that the serve was out, rather than him just hitting it. either a hand gesture, or verbal call."

Your certainly right on this - I mis-read the original problem or didn't quite understand it. In either event, I would agree with the subsequent posts.