PDA

View Full Version : First Match of the Year...Finally

smittysan89
03-27-2007, 05:00 AM
So yesterday I had my first match of the year. I live in NW ohio so the weather has been super sporatic lately, but yesterday it was around 75 degrees which was really nice. Unfortunately there were also 30-35 mph winds. Being 6'5 with a high toss, it was really messing with me.

I played a player who wasn't as good as me, and hit little dinkers that bounced to about my ankles, and I like to hit heavy groundstrokes from the baseline so I was kind of out of my element. Suprisingly, the first set I dominated. Hitting most of my first serves in and not trying to hit out but really just pushing him back with some topspin. Then the winds started to pick up to about 35 mph...and it all went downhill. I would throw the ball up and it would go up then down then left all in the air. It was horrible and very frustrating. I think I hit maybe 3-4 serves in the entire 2nd set, which I lost 4-6, winning all of my games off of his serve just because I double faulted all of my games away.

Then in the third set I was very frustrated and tired, but I started to just hit second serves then the wind chilled down a little and I started to hit my first serves. I was down 1-2 then came back to win 6-3 in the third. I was so dead after we were finished. I had 5 match points in the last set on his serve. When I got done and looked at the time, the match had lasted 3 hours.

Don't know if that was a good or a bad start to the season, still unsure, but it was definately the most draining match physically and emotionally that I have ever played in.

PrinceDiablo525
03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Any win is a good start of the season, even if you didn't think you played your best. Winds that fast will mess anybody's game up.

ibringtheHEAT
03-27-2007, 03:12 PM
You can only bet better. Congrats on the win bud.

smittysan89
03-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys, yeah I guess your right. Hopefully as the weather gets better, ill be able to get in the zone.

Lane
03-28-2007, 05:36 PM
A win is a win, I'm sure he was having trouble hitting it too, but since your tal it might have affected your game a lor or a little, you'll be able to tell after several games

ibringtheHEAT
03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
just keep winning. =]