PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Vijay Amritaj

sandy mayer
03-27-2007, 06:03 AM
He seems to have had alot of ability but I think he didn't fulfil his potential. He beat everyone but wasn't consistent and amazingly never made top ten.

What do people remember about his game, and why didn't he do better?

sandy mayer
03-27-2007, 06:15 AM
He beat Borg, Connors, Mac, Vilas, Gerulaitis, Panatta and Nastase. Pretty impressive. I notice he had bad records against Tanner, Ashe, and Lendl. Could he not handle big serves well?

Fedace
03-27-2007, 06:28 AM
He was assassinated in Octo*****. RIP VJ

urban
03-27-2007, 07:43 AM
i Remember, that in 1973 out of the young guns approaching the top then, Vijay was generally credited as the greatest talent, even over Connors and Borg. He looked like a younger Nastase, and came onto the scene in 1973 with some big wins over Laver and Connors at Bretton Woods. Later he let some big leads slip at Wimbledon against both Borg and Connors.

backcourt
03-28-2007, 06:49 AM
i Remember, that in 1973 out of the young guns approaching the top then, Vijay was generally credited as the greatest talent, even over Connors and Borg. He looked like a younger Nastase, and came onto the scene in 1973 with some big wins over Laver and Connors at Bretton Woods. Later he let some big leads slip at Wimbledon against both Borg and Connors.

I recall him doing particularly well on clay, which would explain his success at Bretton Woods. Urban, how did he do at the French Open?

FiveO
03-28-2007, 08:17 AM
I recall him doing particularly well on clay, which would explain his success at Bretton Woods. Urban, how did he do at the French Open?

From what I could find he played RG once in '74 losing to Jan Kodes, 2,2 and 2 in the 3R.

jaykay
03-28-2007, 08:48 AM

---chortle--- :D

Yep, Vijay A had a wonderful s&v game with fantastic hands at the net. He and his brother, Anand Amritraj, made an impact in the doubles circuit as well. Other brother Ashok Amritraj rose to fame producing Hollywood movies (such as the James Bond one mentioned above and some other Jean Claude Van Damme 'B' movies).

Vijay's game was wonderful to watch. However, I liked Ramesh Krishnan's game even better; though one might argue that Vijay was more successful on the tour as compared to Ramesh. I'm not sure if Vijay was ever a force to reckon on clay.

Vijay's son, Prakash Amritraj, turned pro recently and represents India in the Davis Cup.

sandy mayer
03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Did he have a big serve?

Moose Malloy
03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Did he have a big serve?

Yeah. Was just watching a Mac-Vijay match from 1980 & Vijay was serving much harder than Mac(who was considered the best server on tour then)

Vijay could hit bombs, got lots of easy points on serve.

sandy mayer
03-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks. So if he had a big serve and great volleys what stopped him going higher than no. 16 in the world?

Moose Malloy
03-28-2007, 11:44 AM
what stopped leconte from being #1? what made courier #1? its not all about talent, but the way you compete.

vijay could have been fitter, i saw him play borg & connors in 5 set matches, he looked dead at the end, while they looked like they could go 5 more.

I am surprised he only got to 16, though.

Moose Malloy
06-27-2007, 09:35 AM
i Remember, that in 1973 out of the young guns approaching the top then, Vijay was generally credited as the greatest talent, even over Connors and Borg.

Was just reading 'Arthur Ashe"Portrait In Motion", essentially a diary Ashe kept from '73-'74. In an entry marked July '73, he said that Vijay had more talent/potential than Borg or Connors, but wondered if he had the work ethic to fulfill his potential.

In it he mentioned that Charlie Passarell had the best technique on strokes of any player that he had ever seen(but thought he was too slow to ever be great)

What did you think of Passarell, urban?

NoBadMojo
06-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks. So if he had a big serve and great volleys what stopped him going higher than no. 16 in the world?

While he had all the shots and was a very elegant mover, he wasnt particularly fast and I think his footwork broke down on him from the backcourt causing even more UE's than was normal in the day (many was normal). He seemed to lack that win at all costs sort of attitude (but who knows what burned inside)..always the gentleman.

DrewRafter8
06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
---chortle--- :D

Yep, Vijay A had a wonderful s&v game with fantastic hands at the net. He and his brother, Anand Amritraj, made an impact in the doubles circuit as well. Other brother Ashok Amritraj rose to fame producing Hollywood movies (such as the James Bond one mentioned above and some other Jean Claude Van Damme 'B' movies).

Vijay's game was wonderful to watch. However, I liked Ramesh Krishnan's game even better; though one might argue that Vijay was more successful on the tour as compared to Ramesh. I'm not sure if Vijay was ever a force to reckon on clay.

Vijay's son, Prakash Amritraj, turned pro recently and represents India in the Davis Cup.

I played one of the sons when I was in high school in the State Championships. His name was also Vijay Amritraj. JayKay, do you know which of the Amritraj brother's was this guy's dad? I saw his picture in Tennis Magazine a few year's back and recognized him.

nanni
06-27-2007, 07:52 PM
i have seen vijay play davis cup for india in 1987 where he led india to the finals alongwith ramesh krishnan.
vijay was a fine grass court player with a big serve and great hands.very stylish and smooth like edberg.
has wins over all the top players of those days including borg,nasty,mac,connors,lendl.in fact he beat mac in 84 where mac just lost one other match to lendl in the french open final.
excelled in davis cup play with wins over slobodan zivojovic,martin haite,wally masur.great fighter in davis cup,but has lost lot of matches which he should have won on the tour,being up 2 sets to borg,connors and losing in 5!
in 1973 wimbledon,where many top names were absent,he missed an easy overhead on match point vs jan kodes and then went on to lose the match!jan kodes went on to win wdon that year!
he was a great sportsman and an ambassador of the sport.

Rabbit
06-27-2007, 08:08 PM
^that was my memory as well. Vijay seemed to always shine at WImbledon. The only other thing I can add was that he played with a Fila wood racket that was probably the best looking frame ever made.

Kirko
06-28-2007, 07:22 AM
^that was my memory as well. Vijay seemed to always shine at WImbledon. The only other thing I can add was that he played with a Fila wood racket that was probably the best looking frame ever made.

Fila wood rackets. Yes they very very nice looking just like the clothes they made during that time. The only other pro I can remember using Fila was Hans Glidemeister, the only non -Fila item he didn't wear were shoes (stan smiths).

NoBadMojo
06-28-2007, 07:47 AM
I dont doubt that Vijay played a Fila frame for a while, but believe he is more well known for Slazenger

rasajadad
06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Wasn't Vijay the Indian version of Vitas Gerulaitis? (Partier / playboy.)

Kirko
06-28-2007, 08:11 AM
I dont doubt that Vijay played a Fila frame for a while, but believe he is more well known for Slazenger

yeah he played Donnay and like you say before that Slazenger, Fila frames very beautiful thoug.

sureshs
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
I played one of the sons when I was in high school in the State Championships. His name was also Vijay Amritraj. JayKay, do you know which of the Amritraj brother's was this guy's dad? I saw his picture in Tennis Magazine a few year's back and recognized him.

Prakash is Vijay's son. Stephen is Anand's son, or was it Ashok's? I don't think there is a Vijay 2.

Rabbit
06-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Kirko is right, he played the Donnay Borg, I do remember that

nanni
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
remember he used slazenger and then donnay borg and then a graphite frame called donnay pro cynetic,i think.it was bluish in colour.he uses prince currently.stephen is anand's son.
no,vijay was not known to be a playboy,but was seen in hollywood parties with some pretty eye candy.coming to think about it,he dated farah fawcett.;) !

fgbowen33
06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
in india they all learn on grass - so he had a very great grass court game w/ ofcourse a wood racket. So after the serve and volley it was all about spins to use the grass to use it to its advantage with the drop volley and spins to make the ball die on the grass

Rabbit
06-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Actually, I remember Bud Collins relating a story about the brothers Armitraj. They did not grow up on grass, rather they grew up playing on a cow dung court.

sureshs
06-29-2007, 08:22 AM
in india they all learn on grass

Is that true any more? I see mostly hard and clay.

nanni
06-29-2007, 07:06 PM
in the olds days there were mainly grass courts and cow dung courts.vijay must have grown up playing on those.now,like everywhere else,there are hard and clay courts in india.cow dung courts were strange.played like clay.
the scary part was that if you fall and bruise yourself,you have to rush and get a tetanus injection,because cowdung is supposed to be a breeding ground for tetanus.i fell once in chennai and the regulars did not even let me finish the set and rushed me to a clinic for a tetanus shot!:-(

vitasGremembered
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Vijay was smooth, super smooth. However, like others stated, he just lacked that guttiness that cannot be taught.

diggler
07-06-2007, 05:50 AM
I think he was in a James Bond movie.

rajeshafrica
07-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Actually, I remember Bud Collins relating a story about the brothers Armitraj. They did not grow up on grass, rather they grew up playing on a cow dung court.

Not really I have lived in India for 33 years and the above said cow dung courts probably are less than three percent of the total courts in India. The myth is another one of the western medias fascination about the east.

Vijay was a very solid serve and volleyer who had some impressive records against Laver , Borg, Conors and Mcenroe. But did not have the stamina or the mental determination required to be a ultimate to tenner. His best results include wins against Borg and Laver on grass at the US open, Forest Hills. He led both Borg and conoors 2 stets to love at wimbeldon before losing.His form can vary on a daily basis and he can beat the very best in the world on one day and can lose to someone outside the to 100 on the next day. A classic example was in 1984 When Mcenroe was in outstanding form in winning the wmbeldon and US open and suffered only two losses the entire year, his second loss other than against Lendl at the French was against Vijay. Vijay was good enough to stop Jhonny Mac at this pomp 6-7,6-2,6-3. But rather surprisingly he lost his next round to then India No 2 Ramesh Krishnan. Such was his unpredictibility. Formed a very strong doubles combo with his elder brother Anand and were good enough to reach the wimbeldon doubels semis. Was good enough to lead India to the Davis Cup finals twice. Once in 1974 when India defaulted against South Africa in the finals. Back in India most of us still feel this was Indias best chance to have lifted the Davis Cup. As both the teams were evenly matched ( Vijay , Anand and Sashi Menon for India against Cliff Drysdale, Ray Moore Bob Hewitt and Frew Mcmillan for South Africa). Second Was in 1987 Where an aging Vijay was ably supported by Ramesh Krishnan.Despite Vijay being 37 years He won both his singles against Argentina and Israel and a crucial match against Austrlalia's Wally Masur on grass in Sydney and Ramesh Krishnan ran rings around Wally Masur in the final singles to secure India a famous victory. India was out classed by Sweden on Clay by a swedish team boasting of 5 players within the top 25 in the world. Vijays finest moment came in the Pre quarter final against Argentinas Martin Jaite( then World No 15). India was down 2 matches to 1 and in the fourth match Matin Jaite leading Vijay 2 sets to love and 6 -5, 40-30 in the third set.Vijay facing match point served and came to the net and of an low return by Jaite played an amazing drop volley aganst an surprised opponent to save the match point. From then on Vijay fought back to take the third set and then the next two sets to level the tie at 2 matches all. Reamesh Krishnan won the decider against Dela Pena to secure victory for India.
One more reason that could be attributed to Vijay not fulfilling his potential was he became an active busness man almost mid way through his tennis career. He along with his younger brother Ashok ( who was also a good player himself and played on the tour for a couple of year) ran a very succesful Movie Production company in Hollywood. which probably took his focus off the game.
A sportsman known for his sportsmanship, impeccable and charming manners on and off the court, was also a fine philanthropist who is actively involved in various charitable organisations. he has raised a lot of money for many orphanges. disabled persons and old age homes. He is now actively involved in conducting the Chennai Ope ATP tour even. In India where we are starved of Sporting Heroes he is a living legend and is an inspiration to many in India.

sureshs
07-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Once in 1974 when India defaulted against South Africa in the finals. Back in India most of us still feel this was Indias best chance to have lifted the Davis Cup.

That was to protest Apartheid if I recall. Drysdale has talked about it. He said that even though the SA team was ready to play, there were deep undercurrents and several players actually did not want to play and were relieved with the default.

heathcliff
07-13-2008, 05:06 PM
was ramesh also a s&v-player?

marc45
07-13-2008, 05:11 PM
what?!, that's not true, ist it?...i just googled him (wiki, etc.)...says he lives in california with wife and two children (today's finalist)

marc45
07-13-2008, 05:12 PM
oh, i get it, you (and the censors) got me fedace

nanni
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes,I was there at the DLTA courts when India played Argentina and then Israel.
That match vs Martin Jaite was sensational.Vijay,not usually known for his killer instinct,fought back on a very hot Delhi summer day,a la Connors!
We college kids had a sore throat cheering "Vijay,Vijay" all through the match!
He was very fluid in his serve volley and chip and charge.Edberg was similar is many ways.In fact,Becker practiced with Vijay prior to a Wimbledon final vs Edberg,because he felt the styles were similar.
Vijay was good on Grass.
He was a great sportsman and was always smiling.He has beaten the best and was a dangerous opponent.He had a big serve and great volleys.
He was all class!

hoodjem
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
He was in the James Bond movie Octopussie from 1983.

Charlzz
07-14-2008, 11:23 AM
He was in the James Bond movie Octopussie from 1983.

He also had a brief scene in Star Trek 4 (the one with the whales).

rajeshafrica
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
was ramesh also a s&v-player?

Yes. Ramesh was also a server an volleyer but not in the conventional style. In that the serve and volley was based more on anticipation and placement rather than on speed and power.

heathcliff
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
so he certainly was an artist on court. unfortunately i didnīt see much from him so i cannot remember..