PDA

View Full Version : Ramesh Krishnan

jaggy
03-27-2007, 07:48 PM
His name appeared further down here and I felt he was worthy of his own thread, great and beautiful stroker of the ball, as nice to watch as anyone . Comments?

Kirko
03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
yeah he had a son who played Davis Cup. he played McEnroe in Davis Cup. had a lot of guile. almost beat him just a little too corpulent.

35ft6
03-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I vaguely remember watching him play once. Incredible control and touch. Very cerebral game. Like a combination of Santoro and Sanguinetti.

alwaysatnet
03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Kind of stocky.Not the typical tennis body. Beautiful strokes and beautiful game. Played all the touch shots and then some. He was more of an artist than athlete and was frequently overpowered. He made his matches a special treat to watch though he never won a lot.

Moose Malloy
03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I think AndrewD(who was a service linesman at the AO) made an interesting post on him a while back, saying that of all the pros whose matches he called, Krishnan was the guy who could hit the same exact spot on his serve over & over again. Control indeed.

alfa164164
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Wasn't he the guy that McEnroe said "my grandmother serves harder than this guy". Like Santoro, his touch and slice game gave some people fits.
I think he had a 5 set thriller at the USOpen one year against Edberg also.

sureshs
03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah he had a son who played Davis Cup. he played McEnroe in Davis Cup. had a lot of guile. almost beat him just a little too corpulent.

Ramesh is the son. Ramanathan is the father.

coolhandluke
03-29-2007, 05:16 PM
McEnroe once yelled at the US Open : "This guy serves at 40 mph and I can' t return it!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaykay
03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
WOW! A whole thread dedicated to Ramesh Krishnan! This is great...

RK was one of my favorites. An absolute magician with amazing hands at the net. The angles, the touch volleys, drop shots and the way he used to wrongfoot his opponents was absolutely delicious to watch.

galain
03-30-2007, 03:05 AM
Yes to all of the above and a bump for Andrew D if he'd like to chime in.

I remember Krishnan as one of the few who stayed with wood a good while after most of the pack had moved on to composites.

nanni
03-30-2007, 03:34 AM
i have watched him live in 87 when he and vijay took india to the davis cup final beating argentina,israel, and australia on grass in sydney.Ramesh played a magical match to beat wally masur.he was toying with him and it actually made people laugh.it was a memorable exhibition of touch and crafty tennis.
he also beat wilander in the aus open 88,when mats was the top seed,i think.
i have seen him practice in chennai and he was hitting with a top junior.ramesh was hitting balls from the baseline and the kid punched a solid deep volley to the backhand corner.ramesh ,while yelling 'good volley',ran it down and effortlessly hit a beautiful pin point back hand down the line passing shot,while holding some balls in his left hand!Yes,he also could place his not powerful serve into any corner he wanted and folllowed it up with great volleys.he also had remarkable anticipation that made up for his lack of height or physique.
he was a class act,like vijay.

HyperHorse
03-30-2007, 03:47 AM
he also beat wilander in the aus open 88,when mats was the top seed,i think.

*stare* Mats won AO, FO and UO in '88... losing in Wimby quarters to Edberg.

AndrewD
03-30-2007, 04:38 AM
I think AndrewD(who was a service linesman at the AO) made an interesting post on him a while back, saying that of all the pros whose matches he called, Krishnan was the guy who could hit the same exact spot on his serve over & over again. Control indeed.

Yep, he was the hardest server to call lines for. Not because of the pace but because he would put the ball on the line almost every time. If Krishnan missed it was by the slimmest margin and when the ball was good it was also by an exceptionally slim margin (almost always hit some part of the line). I'm sure, if I'd called baseline I would have seen that his groundstrokes, while lacking power, had exceptional depth.

His match against Wilander, at the 89 Aus Open (the year after Wilander won 3 of 4 majors) was a classic. Not for the score, but for the way Krishnan so completely bamboozled Wilander - one of the toughest and smartest players on tour.

goober
03-30-2007, 06:16 AM
I remember watching him as a kid. He was like 5'6" and pudgy. Not your typical pro tennis body. He would get destroyed in today's game but he hand great hands and great control just no power.

heathcliff
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
what style of play did ramesh prefer - was he a serve-&-volleyer or a baseliner?

Steady Eddy
07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I saw him play in '79 at the Minnikada Country Club in Minneapolis. They had a tournament which took in players that had lost in the U.S. Open. I went to watch the final with a friend. Ramesh played Nick Saviano. I didn't know who the players were at the time, but we were lucky. It was a classic match up between a baseliner, (Ramesh), and a fiery net rusher, (Saviono). They played on a har-tru court, which probably favored Ramesh. After an error, Saviono would often purposely hit the next ball into the fence. Despite his temper, he prevailed in the best-of-three match. Later I saw that World Tennis Magazine rated Saviano as owning one of the 5 best overheads in the world. Since he wasn't very famous, I knew it must be really good. Despite that, Ramesh gave him fits that day with his lobs. Both players were ranked 70-something in the world at the time. Ramesh's father was there to watch. He also was a world ranked player. It was a great afternoon.

MAXXply
07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Jeez, if Krishnan was still around today...the kids would be mystified. John Barrett was moved to remark in commentary, "he's playing like a god!" when Krishnan dismantled Wilander in Melbourne '89.
I think Krishnan also made the Wimbledon quarters in '87...losing to Connors? His old man also made the quarters in '61 or something.

He used a low-strung Max 200G, Mac-style, with the usual old-school grips and strokes. He looked great on-court attired top to toe in his Adidas Lendl "Dali" line of gear, and Lendl Supreme shoes. Always tucked in and immaculate. Sigh.

Tshooter
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Most beautiful backhand since Rosewall. His whole game was smooooooooth.

Fedace
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
His name appeared further down here and I felt he was worthy of his own thread, great and beautiful stroker of the ball, as nice to watch as anyone . Comments?

i hate him,,,,he always copied JP Mcenroe by using the same racket, always. and he had a mental block against John so he was owned by JP.

suwanee4712
07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
RK was a wonder to watch. He made the game look so easy. That's true talent and artistic ability on the court.

Someone else mentioned Santoro in reference to RK, and I would agree. I missed RK when he dropped off the scene. And I'm already missing "The Magician."

:(

Enlightened Coelacanth
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Like Miloslav Mecir, he was an artistic master and peerless pure hitter of the ball. There were very few his equal.
But he was undersized, not especially athletic and could get over powered. He wouldn't have a snowcone's chance in hell of making it in the ultra physical world of today's pro game but he was beautiful to watch.
What a pleasure.

orangettecoleman
07-08-2008, 08:55 AM
i read this thread right before i went to sleep last night and then had a dream that i watched Krishnan play doubles with Fabrice Santoro on a cruise ship. also Krishnan was wearing swimming trunks and weighed about 300 pounds. :confused:

goober
07-08-2008, 09:14 AM
i read this thread right before i went to sleep last night and then had a dream that i watched Krishnan play doubles with Fabrice Santoro on a cruise ship. also Krishnan was wearing swimming trunks and weighed about 300 pounds. :confused:
Next time watch a movie with spies, international intrigue and a bevy of beauties before you go to sleep.:)

sureshs
07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Do you know the joke about RK's slow serve (he actually aced opponents with a double bounce):

RK was playing a tournament in 1987 and hit a first serve.

It is yet to cross the net.

sureshs
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
His old man also made the quarters in '61 or something.

Twice to the W semis

sunnyIce
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
yup I remember watching quite a few matches in Chennai when me was a kid, and then some in the davis cup. which were always fun. but the one i remember on the atp is the one he played against jim juggernaut courier in the olympics i think. this was when jim was #1? neways RK lost in 4 but it was hilarious. i was laughing my as-s off the entire time. RK was making jim run from side to side with clever angles and extreme placement. it was very cartoonish and the most i have laughed in a tennis match. the look on jim's face was priceless the entire time, esp. if u remem he had that scowl when he was into it. priceless.

rajeshafrica
07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep, he was the hardest server to call lines for. Not because of the pace but because he would put the ball on the line almost every time. If Krishnan missed it was by the slimmest margin and when the ball was good it was also by an exceptionally slim margin (almost always hit some part of the line). I'm sure, if I'd called baseline I would have seen that his groundstrokes, while lacking power, had exceptional depth.

His match against Wilander, at the 89 Aus Open (the year after Wilander won 3 of 4 majors) was a classic. Not for the score, but for the way Krishnan so completely bamboozled Wilander - one of the toughest and smartest players on tour.

Ramesh Krishan was very gifted Indian player, known for his fabulous touch play and control. He won the junior titles at Wimbledon and French in 1977. He was a quarter finalists at Wimbledon and at US Open. Did Yeoman Service for India at the Davis Cup. He played a critical part in India reaching the Davis cup finals along with Vijay Amritraj in 1987. Has won four deciding matches in the davis cup when the tie was at 2 all against Horacio de La Pena of Argentina, Wally Masur of Australia ( in the semi finals ), Rodolphe Gilbert of France and Jakob Hlask of Switzer land. Later went on to become Non Playing captain of the Indian Davis Cup team. Now runs a tennis academy at Chennai India his home town. He was also known for his sportsmanship and impeccable manners on and off the court. His biggest win was against Wilander at the 89 Aua Open.

His playing style was basically serve and volley and attacking service returns. He took an extremely early ball especially while returning serves. He was blessed with a great sense of anticipation, that made athleticism redundant in his case. His accuracy was legendary on the tour and was nicknamed the surgeon.His major draw back was lack of power especially on the serve. He could not adjust very well with the era of powerful mid size rackets. If he was fortunate to have played more during the time of wooden rackets his results would have been more impressive.

Incidentally his father Ramanathan Krishnan also won junior Wimbledon in 1955. and was good enough to reach the semifinals of Wimbledon twice in 1960 and 1961,losing to eventual winners Fraser and Laver on both occasion, players he beat at queens club the same years. He was seeded four at Wimbledon in 1962 and had good draw to the finals but unfortunately he twisted his ankle while playing in the third round and had to default. In 1961 he beat Roy Emerson in straight sets within an hour at Wimbeldon. Like his son Ramesh he won the decider in the Davis cup semifinal tie against Brazils Thomas Koch to lead India to its first Davis cup Finals against Australia., this time coming back from two sets to love and 5 2 down in the third set to win in five sets.

MAXXply
07-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Krishnan vs Mecir would've been a sight to see.
Can anyone point us in the direction of some Ramesh footage online ?

jaggy
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Mydream involved oh forget it I will get banned!

Bhagi Katbamna
07-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Krish v. Mecir would not be as fun as seeing either of them just taking apart a basher.

Deuce
07-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Krishnan vs Mecir would've been a sight to see.
Can anyone point us in the direction of some Ramesh footage online ?
Today's kids would ridicule it and call it "slow and boring".

I feel sorry for today's kids - for they have no idea how much fun creative tennis can be - they've never been exposed to it.

nanni
07-21-2008, 03:21 AM
agree with duece and the rest who have seen this 'creative artist' in full flow.
when he was toying around with wally masur or wilander,the applause of the spectators were akin to watching a maestro on the piano or violin or a magician.they were looking at each other and shaking their heads in appreciation and disbelief as though saying 'how did he do that?!'
it was like watching chess,magic,music and sport together.
yes,he did get blown away sometimes by the big power players,but dont forget that he was only 5 feet and 7 inches tall(no fault of his!).if he had the height and the leverage on the serve,he would have been ranked much higher.i mean,how many 5'7" players were better than him?

heathcliff
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
im looking for some rk-videos but i cant find any....are there any available?

carlos djackal
07-23-2008, 07:52 AM
haven't seen him play but heard that he was a pretty good player........