PDA

View Full Version : PDAs...anyone use one?

Benjamin
03-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Just wondering if anyone here uses PDAs?

I have an "older" Palm IIIxe that I'm thinking about replacing. Don't know why, it still works great, but every once in a while things just need updating.

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a model or models you've used and really liked.

Thanks.

Benjamin

hangzhou
03-12-2004, 11:52 AM
I was using Palm V for more than 5 years, still love it. Have same feeling for upgrading, still haven't done it yet.

Can you tell what you will use PDA for, so it will be hard to make recommendations. It's like picking a racket, which will based on many facts, i.e. your game style...

If you look for solution for PDA/Cell phone, Treo 600 is the best solution out there now, although quite expensive.

For basic PDA, Palm Vx should be sufficient and Zire71 is decent machine.

For high end PDA, the new T3 is the best one.

These are all Palm products. You can also check Sony's product line, which will make your life more complicated. I knew very few thing about Win CE/PPC.

You can check at: www.brighthand.com and www.palminfocenter.com

Enjoy your PDA's hunting....

@wright
03-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Can you demo them? LMAO

Brent Pederson
03-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Benjamin, Benjamin, Benjamin...

Don't you know the Palm IIIxe is the best ever? Don't even bother demoing anything else...

Just kidding...

Actually, I've been through a few versions of palms, now I'm using a treo that I got through Cingular wireless for $99, great combo cellphone/palm. Also, accessorizes nicely with a pog...

hangzhou
03-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Yes, you can demo them by just go to bestbuy or other stores. Over there you got free demos... :wink: :lol:

$99 for Treo, that's a nice deal. Treo 600?

bcaz
03-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Wow, does that mean the Treo 600 is 93 sq in in the states? do they make a lighter 660 with more power and a bigger sweet spot?

Phil
03-13-2004, 02:48 AM
I think PDA's are toys.

Brent Pederson
03-13-2004, 08:02 AM
That's ok, Phil. They thought the same thing about the automobile at the beginning of the 20th century.

Do you believe calendars, to-do lists, phone books, and memo pads are toys too? Cell phones? Pagers? Web browsers?

Combine those in one small package that fits in your pocket and you have a pda.

peter
03-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone here uses PDAs?

I have an "older" Palm IIIxe that I'm thinking about replacing. Don't know why, it still works great, but every once in a while things just need updating.

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a model or models you've used and really liked.

I've used the Palm Pilot Professional, Palm V and the Palm Tungsten T
(my currrent PDA).

The Palm V is the one with the best form factor (very thin and sleek)
so far. You can put it into your shirt pocket and it won't be in the way.

However... The color and higher resolution screens of the Tungsten
units are really nice. Not to mention the very handy Bluetooth and
stereo audio interfaces...

If would buy a new one today it definitely would be a Tungsten T3.

hangzhou
03-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Phil:

If you put stringing pattern information into your PDA, then it's not a toy anymore and should be very useful tool for stringer. This is just one application makes a toy as a useful tool.

One guy wrote a software that enables Treo 600 a movie recorder, then you can take shot of your swing/serve, and ask pros to make comments. This is another appliation that I can think of for tennis....

@wright
03-13-2004, 10:21 AM
A PDA is no more a toy than a tennis racquet. In fact, I'd say it's practically more useful than a racquet.

Loud
03-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Blackberry

Loud
03-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Email, calendar, cellphone, web browser, contact list, syncs with MS Outlook even when you're nowhere near your PC...

Phil
03-14-2004, 06:22 PM
"That's ok, Phil. They thought the same thing about the automobile at the beginning of the 20th century."

Comparing a PDA to the automobile...hmm...specious?

Brent Pederson
03-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Could be specious I suppose. I'm simply comparing new technology to old. Old fashioned paper calendars, rolodexes, notepads, and to do lists are fine, as were the horse and buggy. There are still areas on the planet where the horse and buggy still prevails I suppose, but overall, most folks have come to feel that they just cannot compete with the power, speed, and efficiency of more modern mechanical marvels.

No doubt, there will be plenty of people who still embrace the old tech till the end of the world, and I have no problem with that if that's what does it for them.

But for me, to have a small device that fits in my pocket that takes the place of half a dozen larger, more cumbersome ones, does it more efficiently, allows me to work from anywhere on the planet as if I were in my office, makes and receives phone calls anywhere, and, best of all, if I lose it, I just buy another one, and still have all of my information (which is, in effect, my life and my business) since it is backed up in my computer. If your life is sufficiently simple and quiet that none of this has any appeal to you, my hat is off to you. I wish mine were, but, alas, it is not. Until it is (retirement?), I'll keep my specious argument and pda in my front pocket at all times...

Phil
03-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Until someone makes a decent miniature computer-a palmtop, if you will-one with the same power and that uses the same software as a desk top (and they will, eventually), then all the rest is crap. Fortuanately, you beta users can spend the money and spend your time talking to tech support-I'll wait until the bugs are eliminated, and something comes out that meets my own specifications, which, admittedly, may not be the same as yours.

hangzhou
03-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Well, Phil, you made very good points. PDA have evolveded into mature products and are ready for prime time now.

Take Treo 600, it's a smart phone with PD functions. Extreme good tool for people whose major function is sales... If you have Doc To go (support office format natively) and web browser with Tre 600, then you can do most things on it to replace a notebook. That's a killing tool for sale men with less cost than regular notebook.

Your approach doesn't address the bug issues. Look at Microsoft, they release new version of windows, finally you feel it should be good enough, then you jump on the boat. Man, you only found more patches to install. Bugs are more than before...

The key point is whether the tool serves your needs. Yes, if you don't have needs which can be provided by PD, leave it alone. If the benefits out weight the cost, then you should take a look.

The button line is cost and benefits ratio. It's your call.

Brent Pederson
03-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Well, it's obvious no one's going to convert you Phil, so I'm not going to try. I've been a computer user since the first apple II came out, so admittedly I guess I'm an early adopter type. I've called tech support countless times on all the computers I've used.

PDA's? I'm on my fourth one. Never called tech support once. Only read the manual for the first one for about ten minutes, none of the rest at all.

Admittedly they're not a complete replacement for a full on computer, but for what I'm using them for at the moment, they're alot better than the old way. To me, waiting for that is like waiting til cars can fly before you unhook the oxen and make the switch.

Phil
03-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Brent - Guys like me-skeptics and non-techies-NEED guys like you, because you'll run out at the first opportunity and eagerly drop your cash on whatever is "new", even if it's just useless bells and whistles. Meanwhile, we can observe, and pick and choose from among what you've found that works and most of what doesn't work as advertised.

This is why Microsoft is swimming in money-they launch a new operating system ever 18 months or so, and some of these products have very little, if any advantage over their predecessors, but there are those bells and whistles...They take up more disk space and create more problems-i.e. crashes.

To me, computers are a necessary evil, but I don't need technical crutches when it comes to other aspects of my professional and personal life. A PDA is a crutch for something else, that may be missing in your life, IM(very)HO. Thanks, you and all your techie brothers, for running interference for me!

Brent Pederson
03-15-2004, 06:11 PM
No problem Phil, although, the truth be known, I'm a rather non-tech techie, can't use a windows machine, need an easy Mac, can't stand microsoft products, and avoid upgrades like the plague just like you.

Actually, I'm a photographer by trade, used to use a paper datebook, had lots of problems with it, sometimes double booked appointments, couldn't know what my schedule was unless I was in my office, my wife would have to call me at work to schedule a vacation or day off or anything. It was a gigantic hassle. Now I've always got it with me, life is much easier...

In some areas of life I'm also a late adopter and you're right, it can definitely be the easier path.

It's like the old joke: You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs...

Phil
03-15-2004, 06:26 PM
"It's like the old joke: You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs..."

That's a good one, Brent; I'll have to steal that for my own repetoire!

In your situation, I can see that a PDA is definitely a benefit for your business-anything that increases efficiency, and hence, profitability, is a benefit. I've come across so many people, though, who don't actually NEED a $700 Palm Pilot-it's a toy, a fashion accessory to give them the appearance of being more important/busy than they actually are.

Brent Pederson
03-16-2004, 06:36 AM
Oh, yeah... Well, I'd never pay that kinda coin if there's any alternative. The one I've got has the cell phone built in and was $99, so it's comparable to a slightly fancier cell phone in cost.

I think I paid about $250 for my first one, since then they've been steadily dropping in price...