PDA

View Full Version : Hurt my ankle playing tennis.......

TennisNinja
03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Any suggestions on how to make it heal better? I was doing some drills and as I moved back I stepped on a ball and fell on my ankle. I iced it for 45 minutes, then put some heatpacks on it but what now? It's really hard to walk so I'm using crutches. I know it's not broken, but there's slight swelling and the only part that hurts is the bone on the outer side of the ankle. Also, does anyone know how long I should be out from playing tennis?

Thanks for any advice.

Lane
03-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, I still have pain and I plan on seeing a doctor, you should just keep icing it, if it doesn't heal and it feels uncomfortable for a while check out a doctor.

[ GTR ]
03-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Ouch! I haven't experienced that bad pain that I needed crutches. By the way, I don't think you should put heat packs on it. I've read somewhere that putting heat on your ankle is like putting fuel in fire.

fgs
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
put those heatpacks away and keep icing it. if by tomorrow it is still swollen and you cannot step on it at all, even under pain, than go see a doctor. these things are nothing to fool with - if you're lucky you might be on the courts again in a fortnight. whenever you practice or in a match, take the extra time to put away the balls that are in your area of action. you wouldn't want this to happen anymore. get well quick - best wishes.

TennisNinja
03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for suggestions, I'll ice it a lot more!!!!
Now I can stand up, but it's still sort of hard to walk.

BstonBruin
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I twisted my ankle a week ago or so on the tennis court, didn't get it taped right away and I kept twisting it due to its weakness. Now I just get both ankles taped by the trainer, until everything is healed and back to a hundred percent.

fgs
03-30-2007, 01:02 AM
good point bston bruin! tennisninja, when you hit the courts again make sure you have your ankle taped even if you don't feel any discomfort. when under stress it's good to have some additional support for some two-three weeks of playing.

BstonBruin
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I suggest if you do get your ankle taped...just have them do both ankles, even if the other one hasn't been hurt. I feel like, due to one being taped it is easier to twist the other ankle. Just get both taped so its even, you'll get used to it after a little bit

LASVEGAS ACES
03-30-2007, 09:29 AM
What is with you daisies?
Rub dirt on it and walk it off.

N4n45h1
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
in my pathology class we talked about adding heat packs and icing injuries.

the teacher said that for all injuries, you should ice it first, because that would prevent vasodialation of the blood vessels and thus prevent swelling and inflammation and etc. but after the initial period you dont need to do anything, but some studies have shown adding heat packs would help[wetheat]. i would assume because the added heat would cause better blood flow to the injured area

Nuke
03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
If it's just a sprain, and not a break, you can probably get back on the court faster by wearing an ankle brace. And if you're prone to sprains (and every sprain makes you a little more prone for the next one) then it's a good idea to wear braces on both ankles as a preventative, like Roddick does. I used to be good for an ankle sprain almost every year, and at my age (50) it takes a lot longer to heal, so I always wear braces when I play. You get used to them quickly, and I haven't had a sprain in a couple of years now. Taping would be a good idea if you have someone who knows what they're doing, and you can have it done every time you play. Braces are the next best thing.

TennisNinja
03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
thanks for the help. I'll have my coach tape my ankles.

ibringtheHEAT
04-01-2007, 05:13 PM
just get an ankle brace, you can get it for a measley 10 bucks at your local convenience/sports store.

Forehand Forever
04-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I have an ankle brace that is somewhat like Roddick's but it's not as advanced. Futuro Sport is what its called I think.

ibringtheHEAT
04-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I have an ankle brace that is somewhat like Roddick's but it's not as advanced. Futuro Sport is what its called I think.

Meaningless babbling?

Forehand Forever
04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Meaningless babbling?

Not really, just suggesting an ankle brace.

DominiX
05-08-2007, 01:29 AM
one best thing to heal is swim...

swim is really helps

chadilac
05-08-2007, 03:15 AM
The same thing happend to me but dont put heat on it for 72 hours or intill the swelling goes down. the swelling is dead blood in the joint that just needs to drain and the heat keeps it there. when you ice it keep it elivated like lay down on a couch and put it on the armrest. when it happend to me i acciouly pulled some tendons loose and was out for a month. I hope that dosent happen to you.

YonexDude
05-08-2007, 09:59 AM
sounds like a sprain, keep icing it every day and stay off it for a week. use an ankle brace when you play (i use a swede-o brace, lots of people like ASO braces)

EasternRocks
05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
put more support on it like-put a ankle brace on your ankle when your playing...or buy tennis shoes that have high ankle support..just some advice