PDA

View Full Version : The Twist Serve & Weight

Chanchai
09-11-2004, 03:57 AM
I'm not posting this as an advocacy of a type of racquet. It's meant to be a discussion that pertains to a technique, so I thought this forum was the best place for it.

In doing some twist serve practices at net (a type of drill for twist serve), I started realizing that for me... It was easier to get Twist Serve like results when using a heavier racquet as opposed to a lighter one.

I personally use a lighter racquet most of the time btw. I don't know if the experience had more to do with swingweight than racquet mass, but it seemed very noticeable and in a way it seems to make sense under some assumptions. Particularly if I assume that a lighter racquet merely spins a ball in a direction with moderate momentum going in that direction, while a heavy racquet applies a lot of directional momentum for the ball while the spin is still being applied, but the spin now has to deal with an overwhelming momentum in the ball's quest for direction. But this is an assumption--I really don't know.

So anyhow, this was my experience and I was curious if anyone knows for sure about this or has anything to discuss on the topic. I just found it interesting, but I was wishing I could hit stronger twist serves with my lighter racquet (which is the 300G; the heavy racquets I used were the PS Original and Tour 90, the Tour 90 actually had the biggest kick to be honest).

-Chanchai

andreh
09-12-2004, 01:21 AM
I found the PS 85 to be quite difficult for hitting Twists. It's heavy and the head is very small and I found it difficult at first to generate head speed and get the brush on the ball I needed. Many off-center hits.

But after a lot of hard work, I can now hit twists with the PS 85

Chanchai
09-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Yeah, one of my hitting partners (4.5 player) uses the PS 6.0 85. I don't know how long he worked on the twist serve, but he can nail pretty good twist serves left and right-handed. He primarily serves with his left (weak right shoulder), and can get that weird twist serve action going out wide on the Deuce court. For awhile, I had no idea why my instincts would be off when I would mishit returns on this serve--then it was like, "duh, it's a lefty twist, not a righty slice/topspin."

It's a fun serve :) I'll keep experimenting with it with different frames... Even though my main focus on serves would be improving my topspin/kick(straight and slice-direction) serves.

-Chanchai

jediknightdan
09-17-2004, 12:24 PM