PDA

View Full Version : How high above the net should you hit your kick serve for

Golden Retriever
09-11-2004, 06:46 AM
2nd serves? I have read that you should hit your kick serve almost 6ft above the net but I find it very hard to execute. Especially when I try to swing out on the kick serve the ball can only clear the net by about 1ft at most. If I try to hit it any higher the ball will go out. I can get it to clear the net a lot higher if I swing at half pace but I suppose that's not the way to do it. Now if a kick serve is supposed to clear the net by 6ft why would the pros still net their 2nd serves sometimes? It is very unlikely for a pro to net a serve that is supposed to clear the net by 6ft, even if it is badly hit it should go long instead of going in the net. So what is the ideal clearance over the net for a 2nd kick serve?

papa
09-11-2004, 03:09 PM
GT: Go and watch some matches live - TV doesn't give you the right view to see how high the ball actually clears the net. The harder you swing the higher the clearance needed.

You've been around these boards for awhile and I'd have to assume you have read BB's posts - he and others are not just blowing hot air, they know what they are talking about. His advice is well thought out and presented and perhaps it might be appropriate to re-read his posts - others have contributed good information on this and other subjects as well. I'm not trying to be flip here but the answers to this and many other basic questions are well documented.

Like your name -- had one for many years. Knew of another that could hold three tennis balls in his mouth at the same time.

TwistServe
09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Depends on what type of kick you want..

I find it rather easy to kick a ball 6 feet over the net, but the ball travels in a path that's too easy to return.. It's very loopy and slow while having some decent kick... to do this type of serve, just hit up real hard on the ball.. you lose lots of pace though

If you watch the 5.5+ players play, you'll see their kick serves usually clear the net by no more than two to three feet, yet have tremendous kick... This type of kick serve is much more penetrating and less loopy/arc-ish.. that's the type of serve you should try to attain, not the 6 foot clearance one... to do this type of serve, you gotta hit up and through.. you maintain good pace and still have plenty of spin

TwistServe
09-11-2004, 03:23 PM
Now if a kick serve is supposed to clear the net by 6ft why would the pros still net their 2nd serves sometimes? It is very unlikely for a pro to net a serve that is supposed to clear the net by 6ft, even if it is badly hit it should go long instead of going in the net. So what is the ideal clearance over the net for a 2nd kick serve?

You are correct.. Pro's aren't kicking the ball 6 feet over the net.. if they did, the ball just wouldn't have enough pace.. look at roddick's or safin's second serve.. usualyl clear the net by two to three feet at most... they have very penetrating kick serves and they do this by hitting up and through the ball.. just like a forehand, you want to hit up and through.. hittin up gives you the spin and hittin through gives you the pace..

it took me a while to understand that relationship.. this is also how you make the ball heavy..

Golden Retriever
09-11-2004, 03:44 PM
GT: Go and watch some matches live - TV doesn't give you the right view to see how high the ball actually clears the net. The harder you swing the higher the clearance needed.

You've been around these boards for awhile and I'd have to assume you have read BB's posts - he and others are not just blowing hot air, they know what they are talking about. His advice is well thought out and presented and perhaps it might be appropriate to re-read his posts - others have contributed good information on this and other subjects as well. I'm not trying to be flip here but the answers to this and many other basic questions are well documented.

Like your name -- had one for many years. Knew of another that could hold three tennis balls in his mouth at the same time.

"The harder you swing the higher the clearance needed"
I find it hard to believe. I think the reverse is true.
I have tremendous respect for BB and his advices but I don't think he mentioned anything specifically about the clearance issue I was talking about.
I wish I could retrieve three tennis balls hit to my side of the court at the same time.

skuludo
09-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Twistserve those examples you gave about a penetrating kickserve saying pros hit 2 to 3 feet above the net, are all tall players. What would be the ideal net clearnce height for a kick serve when a player 5'6 serves to a 6'4?

TwistServe
09-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Twistserve those examples you gave about a penetrating kickserve saying pros hit 2 to 3 feet above the net, are all tall players. What would be the ideal net clearnce height for a kick serve when a player 5'6 serves to a 6'4?

I'm only 5'9, and my coach is around 5'11.. still two to three feet net clearence.. You can aim higher and see how that works, than work your way to a more penetrating serve without losing consistency.. you'll find the point that gives you the best results.. obviously taller players have an advantage..

sometimes they'll compare two kickserves during a match and draw those colored lines.. you can clearly see the taller player has the advantage but thats just life hehe