PDA

View Full Version : Vitas.

J011yroger
03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey there oldtimers.

What racquet did Vitas G. play with? I was really little back then and don't remember.

Thanks in advance.

J

slice bh compliment
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Good solid woods, man. A Wilson Stan Smith with a nice big grip and that towel-ish thing over it. Later on, I think he used the Snauwaert Vitas Gerulaitis. Man, I would love to find a mint one of those to hit with.

Kirko
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
He also used the Kramer Auto. after the Smith was discoed. and a Snauwaert mid-size wood I think it was called the La Grande?

AndrewD
03-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Later on, I think he used the Snauwaert Vitas Gerulaitis. Man, I would love to find a mint one of those to hit with.

Slice,

Keep your eyes open because they do often turn up on the auction site. I know TW was selling them at one point (including some made for Vitas to use) and that's only a couple of years ago.

Kaptain Karl
03-29-2007, 04:11 PM
That "towelish" stuff was simply white guaze. He was famous for "regripping" his stick on changeovers.

(I really suspect he got "some" inventor-type to come up with the guaze tape which was ubiquitous in the late '70s and '80s.... Remember? It came in green or orange rolls.)

- KK

slice bh compliment
03-29-2007, 10:34 PM
....TW was selling them at one point (including some made for Vitas to use) and that's only a couple of years ago.

Thanks, yeah, I remember, and I felt just sick that they were sold out by the time I saw those listed. Vintage/Bosworth collection.

KK, really, it was just gauze? I used gauze, too. His looked more porous, like what BGilbert used later on. Maybe I'm just imagining that 'cause it looked cartoonishly fat, that grip.

Well, anyway, God bless ol' Vitas. Tennis player, disco 'king', owner of a yellow Rolls Royce .... and mensch.

I will check the auction site for a good one. But if any of you who beat me to a Bosworth Snauwaert VG feel like selling or trading for something more valuable, I'm here for you.

classic tennis
03-30-2007, 01:49 AM
The Kramer Autograph is what I remember him playing at the NSW Open with way back & then a Snauwaert Vitas Autograph.

jaggy
03-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I remember reading long ago an interview with him where he claimed he suffered from some condition that gave him extra sweaty hands so he was always towelling.

Tchocky
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I remember reading long ago an interview with him where he claimed he suffered from some condition that gave him extra sweaty hands so he was always towelling.

Most likely he suffered from Palmar Hyperhidrossis. They didn't have overgrips back then. Tournagrip was several years away from being developed. Some players used sawdust, like Lendl, or wore a glove.

slice bh compliment
03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
...and a Snauwaert mid-size wood I think it was called the La Grande?

Maybe you're right. If so, I feel good -- I've got a LaGrande. Brown and tan graphite composite.....mostly wood. So sweet. A little too headlight if you're playing a big hitter, but so sweet nonetheless.

AndrewD
03-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Slice,
Head over to the 'Wood Tennis' site and see what they've got available.

NoBadMojo
03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
That "towelish" stuff was simply white guaze. He was famous for "regripping" his stick on changeovers.

(I really suspect he got "some" inventor-type to come up with the guaze tape which was ubiquitous in the late '70s and '80s.... Remember? It came in green or orange rolls.)

- KK

Never saw the orange stuff..lots of guys used the green..it was called 'GauzeTex' I do believe, and the stuff was nasty..it was very rough . We used Fairways and if they got slick during a match we'd rough them up by rubbing them against the fencing.

Kaptain Karl
03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
...it was called 'GauzeTex' I do believe, and the stuff was nasty..it was very rough.That's *it*. I used it once. After it sheered an entire hunk of callous off my hand, I never used it again.

We used Fairways and if they got slick during a match we'd rough them up by rubbing them against the fencing.Ditto. Then I started putting my grips on inside-out. I liked that way best. (Just a while ago I learned that some Aussie Great used to do that too. And here, I thought I'd "invented" it....)

- KK

slice bh compliment
03-31-2007, 04:30 AM
That's *it*. I used it once. After it sheered an entire hunk of callous off my hand, I never used it again.

Ditto. Then I started putting my grips on inside-out. I liked that way best. (Just a while ago I learned that some Aussie Great used to do that too. And here, I thought I'd "invented" it....)

- KK

Upside down / Inside out leather grips. I did it too. I thought for sure my grandfather had 'invented' it. And Diana Ross wrote a song about it.

Who was the Aussie great?

Kaptain Karl
03-31-2007, 06:43 AM
Who was the Aussie great?Sorry. I've totally *blanked* on who it was.

AndrewD...? OrangeOne...?

- KK

NoBadMojo
03-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Sorry. I've totally *blanked* on who it was.

AndrewD...? OrangeOne...?

- KK

naah.....I dont think either AndrewD or OrangeOne qualify as Aussie greats...surely there were some players from downunder who are better than these two :)

Craig Sheppard
03-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Upside down / Inside out leather grips. I did it too. I thought for sure my grandfather had 'invented' it. And Diana Ross wrote a song about it.

Who was the Aussie great?

After hearing this--I'm wondering how come a sueded leather grip never caught on? Would think it'd give you a great gripping surface and not get as hard as smooth leather.

Ronaldo
03-31-2007, 04:42 PM
After hearing this--I'm wondering how come a sueded leather grip never caught on? Would think it'd give you a great gripping surface and not get as hard as smooth leather.

Its not tacky IMHO

Ronaldo
03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Slice,

Keep your eyes open because they do often turn up on the auction site. I know TW was selling them at one point (including some made for Vitas to use) and that's only a couple of years ago.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030818225115/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBOS-VITAS.html

Kirko
03-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Bob Lutz turned his grips inside out.

slice bh compliment
03-31-2007, 04:53 PM

There was one company who tried. It failed. I don't remember the name, but I recall the grip being brown instead of gray.

Yeah, not tacky, and people could simply do it themselves if they wanted the dry feel.
As much as I liked it, there is NOTHING like a brand new leather grip. The inside out thing was just better than a tired ol' leather grip, that's all. A frugal solution.

Why did that Aussie great, and many other good players like an inside out grip? They were either really cheap or calloused up so bad they needed that rough feel.

Ronaldo
03-31-2007, 07:04 PM
There was one company who tried. It failed. I don't remember the name, but I recall the grip being brown instead of gray.

Yeah, not tacky, and people could simply do it themselves if they wanted the dry feel.
As much as I liked it, there is NOTHING like a brand new leather grip. The inside out thing was just better than a tired ol' leather grip, that's all. A frugal solution.

Why did that Aussie great, and many other good players like an inside out grip? They were either really cheap or calloused up so bad they needed that rough feel.

Could just use 60 grit sandpaper, eh?

Kaptain Karl
03-31-2007, 09:20 PM
naah.....I dont think either AndrewD or OrangeOne qualify as Aussie greats...surely there were some players from downunder who are better than these two :)A very clever comeback. Thanks for the chuckle, NBMJ.

- KK

rjkardo
03-31-2007, 10:35 PM
The Kramer Autograph is what I remember him playing at the NSW Open with way back & then a Snauwaert Vitas Autograph.

Yeah, I had one of the Snauwaert Vitas racquets.
It was actually slightly smaller in the head than a standard wood racquet.

Do you remember when Vitas was experimenting with the Snauwaert Ergonomic racquet? I got one of those also, but I cannot remember what happened to it.
Working in a pro shop was great!!

Rod

rjkardo
03-31-2007, 10:42 PM

Do you remember when Vitas was experimenting with the Snauwaert Ergonomic racquet? I got one of those also, but I cannot remember what happened to it.

Rod

I found these pictures of the two Vitas racquets.
http://www.woodtennis.com/wBosworth/vitasG1.jpg

http://www.woodtennis.com/wBosworth/ergonom1.jpg

http://www.woodtennis.com/wBosworth/ergonom2.jpg

Rod

stormholloway
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Vitas actually played with the ergonom?

slice bh compliment
04-01-2007, 03:09 AM
That's it. Thanks to Rod, AndrewD and the rest of you in this thread, I'm getting a pair of these. And just when I was falling in love with a fancy new Volkl dnx10. Man.

Laughing a little about the 'My serve / Your serve' thing at the bottom. Same thing on my LaGrande.

Anyone remember the Snauwaert Dyno. Cool head shpae. Open throated wood composite. Navy and gold. A must for any Michigan or Cal fan.

rjkardo
04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Vitas actually played with the ergonom?

He played a couple of exhibitions with it.
I don't think he played actual tournaments with it.

Rod

Rabbit
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
That's it. Thanks to Rod, AndrewD and the rest of you in this thread, I'm getting a pair of these. And just when I was falling in love with a fancy new Volkl dnx10. Man.

Laughing a little about the 'My serve / Your serve' thing at the bottom. Same thing on my LaGrande.

Anyone remember the Snauwaert Dyno. Cool head shpae. Open throated wood composite. Navy and gold. A must for any Michigan or Cal fan.

I bought two of them myself. TW had two models, the retail version and the version that was made for VG. I bought the VG model. You were right about his grip, it's about 5" or maybe a little bigger. The personalized VG model also had a thicker throat and shoulders of the frame as was a little stiffer and heavier than the stock model. My two were strung with Pacific gut at 58 pounds.

I've hit with them. They hit OK, truthfully, as far as rackets go, I like the Vilas better. But, they are probably some of the best looking frames around. I may get 'em back out now... :)

And, if I remember correctly, VG used surgical gauze to wrap his grips. For some reason, I can still remember him taking it out of that square box and wrapping his grip.

PBODY99
04-06-2007, 07:13 AM
He used a HEAD wood\graphite Vilas , standard sisze open throat& later a Slazenger mid size wood frame in the later years.

classic tennis
04-10-2007, 03:23 AM

Rod

Not sure I ever saw him with the Ergonorm, from what I remember it was more of a recreational players racquet.

slice bh compliment
04-10-2007, 06:25 AM
He used a HEAD wood\graphite Vilas , standard sisze open throat& later a Slazenger mid size wood frame in the later years.

The above sticks refer to Guillermo Vilas. Argentina. Big, strong guy, dark hair, lefty. Poet.

Vitas Gerulaitis. King's Point, NY. Thin, quick guy, blond hair, righty. Yellow Rolls Royce. Parents from Lithuania.

Deuce
04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
What happened to it was that it became obsolete about a day and a half after it was introduced.

Here's the story of the Ergonom...

It was discovered that the actual labor managers who were in charge of building these racquets misplaced the instructions for the upper portion of the racquet - the head - and so scrambled to attach a makeshift head, as the deadline for getting it to market was at hand. To the company's subsequent misfortune, these managers had that day - as every other day - taken to the liquid spirits more than was prudent. They managed somehow to attach the makeshift head - albeit incorrectly - to several hundred racquets. The finished product somehow made it past the equally blurred vision of the 'quality control' guys, and before they knew it, there it was - hanging lopsidedly on store racks everywhere.

Not wanting to publicly embarrass themselves by admitting the true circumstance which lead to this most unfortunate occurrence, one genius within the marketing arm of the company - who has not found work since - decided that the only alternative was to market the racquet as some sort of 'advanced technology' based on geometrical equations, physics, and various complicated mathematical formulae. The company brass reluctantly agreed, as they could see no other viable choice, and produced seventeen thousand more of these warped racquets - deliberately.

We are, of course, all too well aware of the disaster which resulted from this catastrophic decision.
As I understand it, only twelve, but perhaps as many as sixteen, of these racquets were ever sold - worldwide. I believe that it was - fittingly - the last tennis racquet that Snauwaert ever made.

slice bh compliment
04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Hahhaha, jajaja, xaxaxaxaxaaa. ^Living proof that Deuce is not just smart, but also funny.^