PDA

View Full Version : don johnson

Squid
03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
i dont know if he was ever a pro player, but i heard that he coached several pros including arthur ashe for some time. can anyone tell me more about this guy?

Deuce
03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
The Miami Vice guy?

Buchhalter
03-30-2007, 06:18 AM
He won Wimbledon doubles with Jared Palmer during the 1990's ( I think). Shortly thereafter he played for the US Davis Cup team that played in Winston Salem, NC (years ago).
He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapil Hill, and was a couch there after his pro career. I am not sure if he is still coaching there.

As far as I know he is to young to have coached Arthur Ashe.

That is the only Don Johnson (tennis pro) that I know of.

keithchircop
04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
The Miami Vice guy?

lollllllllll

insiderman
04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Great player, (doubles) even better person...a true gentleman. His days at NC State were his best and he even returned to assist. coaching there after leaving the Tour - not sure where he is today, but he likely remains the loosest person at any tournament to require stringing...

rkwei
04-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Don's been in the Boston area the last several months - His wife is doing a medical internship at one of the area hospitals. He's been doing part time teaching at the Weymouth Club but will be leaving in a few weeks. I assume he will be going back to the NC area.

Quite a nice gentleman and he still has the fantastic hands. Partnered w/ a local person to win an open dubs tournament at Harvard recently.

Elina
04-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I remember Don Johnson playing doubles in late 90s. He was always nice to fans coming to his matches and practices. He always had some comment to say or small time to chat. ;)

ericsson
04-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Great player, (doubles) even better person...a true gentleman. His days at NC State were his best and he even returned to assist. coaching there after leaving the Tour - not sure where he is today, but he likely remains the loosest person at any tournament to require stringing...

That's correct! he strung very loose, lower then 20kg.

atatu
04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
The OP might be thinking of Dr. Johnson of Richmond, Va. who got Ashe started in tennis.

brayman9
04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
I know Don Johnson he is based around Boston like me and I just saw him play I big money tournament and get to the finals. He won wimbledon doubles in 2001 i think. Plays with the liquidmetal rad and has amazing volleys best i have ever seen but that is a given

NoBadMojo
04-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Don Johnson was born somewhere in Eastern PA and spent his formative years and much of his life in Pittsburgh in the Mt Lebanon area.
His is an interesting story...really struggled on tour for the longest time and was ready to pack it in, but a well to do Pittsburgh family agreed to sponsor him on Tour for a limited time..things clicked for him in dubs w. Jared palmer and I think he was the #1 doubles player in the early 2000's for a bit.
Really good guy with awesome well rounded game..likely didnt make it on singles tour because he lacked a big weapon and isnt all that fast relative to the other ATP's

Squid
07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
The OP might be thinking of Dr. Johnson of Richmond, Va. who got Ashe started in tennis.

yeah him...
anything to tell about him?

quazex
07-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Believe it or not, thats my tennis coach. Donald Johnson. He is right not in San Jose, teaching the Los Paseos Lobsters.

alicia1991
07-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Don Johnson was good friends with Arthur Ashe and after Ashe died Don started teaching children. He happens to be my tennis coach. I play tennis with him 4-5 days out of the week right here in San Jose, CA :)

Moz
07-01-2008, 09:10 AM
He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapil Hill, and was a couch there after his pro career.

That's quite a fall from grace. Going from being a tennis professional to a piece of furniture at a college. :)

Gemini
07-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Yeah..it sounds like there are multiple instances of Don Johnson. I know there's the former touring pro Don Johnson that lives here in Atlanta, Ga but he's too young to a peer of Arthur Ashe's and definitely not his coach.

Here's a link to is ATP profile. I believe this is the same Don Johnson that was Asst. Coach at UNC for some time. I think he's the tennis director at one of the prominent clubs here in the area now.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=donald+johnson

PBODY99
07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Dr. Johnson who coached Artur Ashe life story can be found in a book titled
Whirlwind: The Godfather of Black Tennis: The Life and Times of Dr. Robert Walter Johnson
The west coast Don Johnson is not the former ATP player that is the topic of this post. He is a dedicated tennis teacher.

Gemini
07-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I think this might be the Don Johnson the OP is looking for.

http://cbs5.com/jeffersonawards/Don.Johnson.Jefferson.2.441475.html

PBODY99
07-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I think this might be the Don Johnson the OP is looking for.

http://cbs5.com/jeffersonawards/Don.Johnson.Jefferson.2.441475.html

So yes new member he is your coach,. but he is not the younger Don Johnson that this thread was started about.

s7evin
07-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Dude, Nash Bridges!!!!!!!!!

Holdfast44ID
07-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Believe it or not, thats my tennis coach. Donald Johnson. He is right not in San Jose, teaching the Los Paseos Lobsters.

Yes. I know who he is and had my teams play his teams in the distant past. He is tall, black, and has to be in his 60's. He teaches at public courts in San Jose, CA and has always said he had some form of "tennis" relationship with Arthur Ashe. Other pros told me they were not sure was true or not. I don't know his history and have not bothered to research, so I don't know and cannot knock him. However, I do remember he and his wife showed up at a free clinic I was running for about 75 kids on some public courts. He was unhappy that "I' was somehow stealing the public courts that he felt he convinced the city to put in. Heck, I was just teaching a free Tennis Across America clinic and didn't make any money doing that, was just giving to the community, and he and his wife decided to sit in lawn chairs and stare me down as I struggled a bit to manage teaching 75 kids with only two assistant pros. To top it off, some kid winged a ball and nailed me in the nuts. Wow, what I gave to the sport...

HF

Holdfast44ID
07-30-2008, 12:19 AM
So yes new member he is your coach,. but he is not the younger Don Johnson that this thread was started about.

However, the west coast Don Johnson has claimed to be friends with Arthur Ashe, or that he coached him, etc. There has been some debate whether this is true or not. So, Ashe was coached by two different Don Johnson's? Hmmm....

-HF