PDA

View Full Version : Highschool Tennis coach, and players....tell me something

Mr. Blond
03-31-2007, 06:02 AM
If you're a coach, do you specify a shoe for your players?

Players, what is the protocol on your team?

I am a coach and am trying to decide on uniforms for next year, and shoes are a big question mark.

thanks in advance

300Gkid
03-31-2007, 06:14 AM
nope, any tennis shoes are acceptable for our team, actually i dont think he cares but the best players wear tennis shoes anyway so......

chadilac
03-31-2007, 06:48 AM
as of this year the school tennis team i play on can wear any tennis shoe. but next year we might be sponsored by adidas hopefully. then it would be a different story. I have also heard of tennis teams that require their players to wear specific shoes.

pNoyr3D
03-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Well our tennis team wears any shoes we want, it really matters on how dedicated people are when playing tennis.

tennis_nerd22
03-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Well our tennis team wears any shoes we want, it really matters on how dedicated people are when playing tennis.

exactly

(10 char)

SteveI
03-31-2007, 08:16 AM
exactly

(10 char)

I coach two teams.. the only thing I do is take a player aside if they are using a "running" type of shoe and make sure they know they should be playing a court shoe.

Regards,
Steve

yonex90
03-31-2007, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't mandate shoes unless its necessary. Different players like different shoes. We are split between Addidas and Nikes and guys prefer one are the other. It may mess with their game to swith because the feel is totally different.

p0w3r
03-31-2007, 09:21 AM

same...the few singles players wear barricades...i wear new balance court shoes since its cheaper. Everyone else just wears whatever...lots use basketball shoes.

I never seen a team with uniform shoes in high school.

Kaptain Karl
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm a HS Coach. "Nope."

Colleges might have that kind of budget. We don't.

- KK

pNoyr3D
03-31-2007, 09:35 AM
same...the few singles players wear barricades...i wear new balance court shoes since its cheaper. Everyone else just wears whatever...lots use basketball shoes.

I never seen a team with uniform shoes in high school.

Yeah, same. Many people use basketball shoes.

I'm a HS Coach. "Nope."

Colleges might have that kind of budget. We don't.

- KK

Our school doesn't have the budget to do that, to get our uniforms for the Varsity they usually do fund raising by selling candy and it sells really well. That's a good source of money.

J011yroger
03-31-2007, 09:38 AM
I cant imagine telling any player that they HAVE to wear a certain shoe. I mean, I have wierd shaped feet and the wrong shoe will tear me up/not fit right. I could see if you said all players had to wear white shoes or something like that. But you can't go telling people that they must wear this exact model shoe, just like you can't tell them to play with this exact racquet/string.

J

Mr. Blond
03-31-2007, 11:28 AM
thanks for the advice guys. I guess I worded my questions someone incorrectly. I am tossing the idea of mandating 'tennis' shoes or court type shoes. I have had three player roll their ankles this season because they were wearing Nike Shox. Great shoe's just not the best for tennis.

What I was considering is finding a few different types of shoes to recomend to them, but really just to use as a guideline when getting shoes.
Thanks for the input.

B

pNoyr3D
03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Oh yes than blabit. Always tell anyone who is playing tennis to get a shoe made for tennis. They sell very cheap ones for like $40 at Sports Authority. My coach informs us of getting tennis shoes.

J011yroger
03-31-2007, 02:45 PM
When I am teaching and a student asks me what different racquet (s)he should get and is wearing running shoes, my reply is always. "You don't need a new racquet, you need new shoes."

So yea, I would mandate tennis shoes, I mean you cant play Soccer/Football/Baseball/Softball/Golf/Track without cleats or spikes.

J

Mr. Blond
03-31-2007, 03:33 PM
When I am teaching and a student asks me what different racquet (s)he should get and is wearing running shoes, my reply is always. "You don't need a new racquet, you need new shoes."

So yea, I would mandate tennis shoes, I mean you cant play Soccer/Football/Baseball/Softball/Golf/Track without cleats or spikes.

J

that is my thoughts exactly.......and its their health in the end I am protecting.

SteveI
03-31-2007, 06:38 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I guess I worded my questions someone incorrectly. I am tossing the idea of mandating 'tennis' shoes or court type shoes. I have had three player roll their ankles this season because they were wearing Nike Shox. Great shoe's just not the best for tennis.

What I was considering is finding a few different types of shoes to recomend to them, but really just to use as a guideline when getting shoes.
Thanks for the input.

B

The #1 concern I have is for the players safety. "I have had three player roll their ankles this season because they were wearing Nike Shox." is a clear example for the problem for not wearing a good court shoe. What you can also do is go to your local proshop and ask them to find a shoe that is sound and a decent price.. maybe a lasts years model and tell your players to try to get that shoe. I have done that in the past. It is a win-win.. the proshop gets to move the shoes (and maybe some other stuff) and you get players with good shoes (and maybe better rackets.. etc). BTW.. as a coach is there anything worse than filling out all the paper work required to report an injury???? In addition, if your school has no trainer (or the away team has none) you have to handle the 1st aid yourself... Yikes..

Regards,

HS Coach and Tennis Director - Town of Alden, NY

rabidcow
04-14-2007, 12:08 PM
We all just wear whatever shoes we want, way to much money to mandate a certain type of shoe

BigboyDan
04-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Mandate tennis shoes - if the child can't afford a pair, you the coach, will have to come up with them. Team sales at a good local sporting goods store will get your team fitted out, at the least, with a generic pair from a good manufacturer. We bought our shoes for our team for $23 each, well under retail - it pays to work with the local team dealer.

ibringtheHEAT
04-14-2007, 12:41 PM
We pretty much wear whatever type of TENNIS shoe we want, if we show up to practice or a match with basketball/running/whatever shoes there is usually punishment.

Although having your team show up in matching tracksuits and shoes would be pretty intimidating ;)

chiru
04-14-2007, 02:47 PM
My college coach makes us wear team shoes. My feet hurt...A lot...

DX_Psycho
04-14-2007, 03:09 PM
we can wear any shoes we want but there are team shoes (barricade 4's) which people got discounts on when they ordered them with the uniforms.

kingdaddy41788
04-14-2007, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't mandate shoes unless its necessary. Different players like different shoes. We are split between Addidas and Nikes and guys prefer one are the other. It may mess with their game to swith because the feel is totally different.

Couldn't agree more. Shoes are a very important equipment decision. The wrong shoes can really hurt a player (and not just his game either).

coach
04-14-2007, 04:33 PM
we let players pick their own shoes.. for reasons of affordability, and also for reasons of personal style but also and more importantly, personal fit. In my case Wilson always fits well but most other brands don't. Gotta be comfortable.

BigboyDan
04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
They can choose their own shoes, as long as they're decent tennis shoes. A rolled ankle takes weeks to heal...

Swissv2
04-14-2007, 05:50 PM
As I am associated with a D1 tennis team, this very issue cropped up as a serious discussion with the head coaches.

Even for the tennis club at the university, the coaches highly recommended "tennis shoes" for all players on the courts, due to the different make of the shoes. Tennis shoes are built for stability and ankle support, as well as traction on the courts. Running shoes/cross trainers are light, and roll easily side to side, which can result in injury. Basketball shoesprovide that ankle support, but last a short time on the courts - not a good investment. Tennis shoes are not that much more expensive than the running shoes and the basketball shoes.

Injury can cost a team member an entire season. Just imagine if your #1, #2, AND #3 player all out because of "rolled ankles".

J011yroger
04-14-2007, 06:01 PM
The whole discussion is silly, you cant wear running shoes for wrestling, baseball, soccer, football, lacross, or field hockey.

If you want to be on the tennis team, and be a tennis player, wear tennis shoes. If you want to wear running shoes, go run, if you want to wear basketball shoes, play basketball.

Just like you cant use a ping pong or pickle ball paddle, badminton or racquetball or squash racquet.

Mandating a specific shoe, ie. Barricade IVs is just silly, not all shoes fit all people, and you could get injuries that way. However if you want to madate white or black shoes, I don't see a problem with that.

J

Ronny
04-14-2007, 09:47 PM
For my high school team, the players get to wear any type of tennis shoes they like but we are encouraged to buy prince or k-swiss ones since our coaches are sponsored

Mr. Blond
04-15-2007, 05:28 AM
I would like to thank all of you for your input on this. I have decided that I will mandate tennis shoes next year for my team. I will not dictate brand or color, but I will provide them with a list of 10 or so different models that are appropriate in design, support, and cost, to ensure that they can infact get them. If anyone on the team can not provide tennis shoes, then I will have to tackle that hurdle on a one on one basis. Again, thanks for your input, You all made me realize some interesting aspects of this.