PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the head still.

Kobble
09-11-2004, 03:42 PM
It seems like tennis magazine has written a similar thread on Federer's still head. Here is a bit of it.

The next time you watch Federer play, notice how he keeps his eyes on the point of contact for a split second after he hits the ball.He doesn't raise his head to look at the resulting shot or his opponent until his racquet is well into the follow-through, which prevents his upper body from lifting and causing a mis-hit or error. In contrast, many players, even professionals, make the mistake of looking toward their target or opponent just before striking the ball. They may get away with it more often than not, but it's a bad habit that can result in poor shots, especially in pressure situations. You shouldn't take that chance. Do what Roger does and keep your head steady when hitting the ball- Tony Lance

perfmode
09-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Good advice.

mistapooh
09-11-2004, 09:03 PM
so he looks at the point of contact and wait until the follow through to see where it lands? This is recommended, crazy......I will surely try to apply this more to my shots.

Gonzalez_Forehand
09-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Having read the previous thread on this topic, I made a concerted effort to keep the head still and focus on the contact point just while practicing on a wall - and I can say definitively that it made a significant improvement to the consistency of my groundstrokes.

This was confirmed the next time I hit with a partner - groundstrokes seemed to be deeper, more consistent, and off the centre of the racket (moreso than usual). And when I did get an off-centre hit, it was because I pulled my head up too quickly.

It sounds like the most basic rudimentary advice going, but if you focus on doing it right, it can make a real difference.

papa
09-12-2004, 05:23 PM
mistapooh wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"so he looks at the point of contact and wait until the follow through to see where it lands? This is recommended, crazy "

This isn't what was written by Kobble.