PDA

View Full Version : No backswing when the tempo is high?

FireSon
09-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Today I played a match agains someone who plays a much higher tempo than I am used to. After the match we talked a little about the game and the local tennis pro, who watched part of the match, told me that I, in order to get some extra time, leaned backwards when hitting my backhand. He said that when the tempo get higher you should step into the ball instead of leaning backwards and that you should skip the back swing both on the FH and BH.

Is there more to say on this subject, and are there any tips on how to practice this kind of shot? When I asked the tennis pro the same question, he said that you should practice these shots, by not allowing the racquet to get behind you. Any other tips and remarks?

mucat
09-11-2004, 10:34 PM
I guess the tennis pro means shorten the backswing? and not leaning backward could also be taking the ball early??

FireSon
09-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Yes he meant shortening the backswing, to a degree that when you return a very fast serve there is practically no backswing at all.

He didn't mean taking the ball early, cause that would lead to even less time to react, but he meant step into the ball instead of leaning backwards. He said leaning backwards is an instinctive reaction to gain some time, which leads to high floating balls. It also had to do with the bodyweight which gets transferred into the stroke when you move into the ball. Maybe this also compensates a little for the lack of (or reduced) backswing...

dozu
09-12-2004, 04:23 AM
once you reach 4.5 level, the length of the backswing becomes automatic.... i.e. if the ball comes in fast, the backswing is automatically shorter... you don't need to THINK about it.

Rickson
09-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Gonzales takes a big backswing no matter how fast the ball comes at him.

mucat
09-12-2004, 07:48 PM
FireSon, I think I know what you mean by no leaning backward now, it just mean transfering the weight back to front when hitting the ball, right?

While I am no 4.5 player, my backswing is pretty automatic and I change my backswing according to situation (fast serve return, no swing flat...short ball, bigger swing topspin...etc..)...I guess I am pro, since I serve like Dementieva... :oops: