PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remembers Guillermo Coria?

holy_angel
03-31-2007, 07:35 PM
I used to like him a lot...is he still on the tour? i remembered he was thrashing Gaston Gaudio in a Roland Garros final until he got injured and Gaudio became champion (one of the most useless Grand Slam winner)

so wat has happened to Coria?a short guy using Prince rackets and sponsored by Adidas in case u guys are wondering....

Zets147
03-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I believe last thing I heard about him was that he is injured. (shoulder or hip?)

Andres
03-31-2007, 07:44 PM
A tear in the abs. He'll be back a week after Houston.

Baghdatis72
03-31-2007, 07:46 PM
I remember Coria of course and I also remember his double faults before he left the tour the last time. He will be coming back soon and with a new racket if I remember well.

drakulie
03-31-2007, 08:01 PM
I used to like him a lot...is he still on the tour? i remembered he was thrashing Gaston Gaudio in a Roland Garros final until he got injured and Gaudio became champion (one of the most useless Grand Slam winner)

so wat has happened to Coria?a short guy using Prince rackets and sponsored by Adidas in case u guys are wondering....

He didn't get injured>>>> he choked!

LarougeNY
03-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I liked coria. I don't know why everybody's making a fuss about canas, once the real guillermo comes around he's gonna tear up the tour. Hes definitely able to hold his own (on clay at least) against the world's best. I miss watching him play, almost got an autograph from him a few years ago but he just high fived me instead ( I was a little kid then...)

Hewitt Aussie
03-31-2007, 08:58 PM
i dont really like coria, he and heitt dont like eachother, so i dont like coria. Lol.

CyBorg
03-31-2007, 08:58 PM
He'll be in Monte Carlo.

ja_
04-01-2007, 07:45 AM
He'll be in Monte Carlo.
No he won't. He planned to play a challenger in Marrakech during the week of Monte Carlo, but now (since the injury interferred with his training) he plans to return at Ostrava, which is April 30.

i dont really like coria, he and heitt dont like eachother, so i dont like coria. Lol.
I had that problem a while ago, only vice versa. But I've gotten over it (grew up) and now root for Hewitt. Whatever is between him and Coria, is not between me and Hewitt. Although when he's being an @ss (i.e. OZ open final '05) I will root against him.

holy_angel
04-02-2007, 01:33 AM
wou....why is there pro coria and anti-coria fans here?

anyway i just asked a question...is he still on the tour list?thats all...

he choked?on wat?his own tongue?i thought he got injured in the FO final against Gaudio which was how Gaudio won?wat a lucky idiot...like mauresmo against Justine....except mauresmo was even luckier....

luke_1983uk
04-02-2007, 01:43 AM
wou....why is there pro coria and anti-coria fans here?

anyway i just asked a question...is he still on the tour list?thats all...

he choked?on wat?his own tongue?i thought he got injured in the FO final against Gaudio which was how Gaudio won?wat a lucky idiot...like mauresmo against Justine....except mauresmo was even luckier....

holy angel,

the tour definently misses him, he was due back a few weeks ago, but he posponed it through injury,

here is some recent footage of him taken a few weeks ago,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDV1Y0HnKSE

he should be back anytime now, he was due back a month ago but he had an abdominal tear, he should be all good to go now though! and judging by the video it looks like the good old coria might be back to his best, it will take awhile but a few tournaments in a row should do him the world of good. heres hoping for a good roland garros.

hope this helps!

Vamos El Mago!

luke_1983uk
04-02-2007, 01:59 AM
heres some other coria videos you might want to check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIqy3OaZxFo&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X56XLz7_a74&mode=related&search=

not sure if this video has ever been posted before but it has nothing to do with coria but it is very cool 'The life of Roxie the tennisracket' a must check out for any tennis fan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GubWYDUUfzk&mode=related&search=

holy_angel
04-02-2007, 06:35 PM
thanks to all who has posted...cant wait to see coria burn the clay courts this season....

LarougeNY
04-02-2007, 07:06 PM
chances are that he, like canas had, will have to play challengers until he can get his rankings up to play in qualies and get wildcards to bigger tournies, hopefully he plays in the maindraw of the french without the need to qualify, but chances of that are slim.

Alexandros
04-02-2007, 07:12 PM
chances are that he, like canas had, will have to play challengers until he can get his rankings up to play in qualies and get wildcards to bigger tournies, hopefully he plays in the maindraw of the french without the need to qualify, but chances of that are slim.

The French Open will give him a wild card, it'd be a disgrace not to offer one to a finalist and former top 5 player.

diegaa
04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
The French Open will give him a wild card, it'd be a disgrace not to offer one to a finalist and former top 5 player.

I was thinking the same thing. There is no chance the FO wont give him a WC. Im not so sure if he is gonna take it though, maybe he doesnt wanna his arse spanked untill hes fully into competition.

MoBurke
04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Cramping is not an injury. Cramping is the result of lack of fluids and/or poor training habits. Coria breezed through the french open that year, only dropping 1 set(to tim henman in the semi's), there was no excuse for his cramping. If i remember correctly he won the first two sets like 1 and 1. Thats what I call a choke.

Aykhan Mammadov
04-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Of course, I remember him VERY WELL. He is GREAT talent. His drop shot is the best I ever saw in the tour. He is EL MAGO.

latinking
04-04-2007, 06:14 AM
I hope he can make it back

drakulie
04-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Maybe he should make a comeback on the womans tour. They need some depth, and he is enough of a cry baby to fit right in. Additionally, like the women>>> he has no serve.

Tchocky
04-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Who? Forget Coria...it's all about Canas right now. He is hottest Argentine right now.

Aykhan Mammadov
04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Who? Forget Coria...it's all about Canas right now. He is hottest Argentine right now.

How can u forget say Sampras or Agassi in US because Roddick is in acton today, because he is hottest today ?

U are wrong. Coria is great talent. Unfortunately nature doesn't gift him such a healthy legs as to Canas, and overall such a great health as to some players, but his feeling of the ball is phenomenal. How can u forget his drop shots ? It is art.

I wish him to come back to the tour ASAP.

trimick7
04-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I think Coria's wife is the hottest Argentine right now!

Ripper
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
I think Coria's wife is the hottest Argentine right now!

In Argentina, she would qualify as regular ;)

LarougeNY
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Any news about Coria's return?

Shaolin
04-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Darn I almost had him forgotten and then this thread comes up...

Alejandro D
04-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Bad news. Just read that he's got injured again last wednesday during a training session. His come back is uncertain. A friend of his said he's considering to quit.
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/04/21/deportes/d-08201.htm

Andres
04-26-2007, 04:52 AM
What's the deal with Argies and abdominal tears!?

kingdaddy41788
04-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Word on the street was that his wife cheated on him and when he found out his ranking plummeted. I don't think he'll be making it back to the top 50 anytime soon... if ever.

luke_1983uk
04-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Bad news. Just read that he's got injured again last wednesday during a training session. His come back is uncertain. A friend of his said he's considering to quit.
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/04/21/deportes/d-08201.htm

please dont be true!

norcal
04-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Word on the street was that his wife cheated on him and when he found out his ranking plummeted. I don't think he'll be making it back to the top 50 anytime soon... if ever. Word on the streets of Austin? lol

austro
04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Strange, this sudden outburst of sympathy... He used to be the most hated player on tour, both amongst players and spectators. And his court behavior certainly justified that... I guess you just have to stay away a bit and people forget.

croatian sensation
04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
please dont be true!

:-( I second that.

Strange, this sudden outburst of sympathy...He used to be the most hated player on tour, both amongst players and spectators.And his court behavior certainly justified that... I guess you just have to stay away a bit and people forget.

And what do we know who players hate or don't?
It's not an outburst of sympathy...if you stick to who you like and who you don't. Obviously people who replied here have been his fans before too.

vllockhart
04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I remember him knocking Agassi out of the FO with nonstop backhand winners down the line.

Rpp
04-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Coria is signed to a challenger in May with protected ranking...interesting to see if his serve is any better in case he returns. Not sure if anyone is missing him, maybe soon we will see his little brother on tour.

kingdaddy41788
04-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Word on the streets of Austin? lol

That's what I heard last time I was working at the shop I work at in Houston. I don't think my boss would have just made it up... But who knows if it's true.

Micce
04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I remember Coria of course and I also remember his double faults before he left the tour the last time.

He played 26 matches last year and I counted that his average number of double faults per match in his first 25 matches was 16 :mrgreen: ...that must be some kind of record. I havent match statistics of his last match that he played in Challenger tournament in Poland.

Morrissey
04-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Strange, this sudden outburst of sympathy... He used to be the most hated player on tour, both amongst players and spectators. And his court behavior certainly justified that... I guess you just have to stay away a bit and people forget.

Yeah right? Amazing how people forget. He was such a pompous little prk on the court and with that smart little smirk on his face and his constant whining during matches. I just wanted to get off my seat and punch the little kid. Sorry, Im not normally a violent person but watching him play made me wanna smack him once or twice. If his wife cheated on him no surprise there. Hes way out of her league. Now that he sucks and his ranking is in the ozone layer she has no use for him. Whew! I feel better now. :-) Uh, I never liked him. Can you tell?

ja_
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
That's what I heard last time I was working at the shop I work at in Houston. I don't think my boss would have just made it up... But who knows if it's true.
It's not. And guess how Coria heard about the rumor himself? His wife told him.

He also says he's not retiring. After the Clarin article came out, he said he won't be talking to the media about when he will return.
I've never heard so many rumors about a guy who hardly plays these days.

I don't think people are all of a sudden being sympathetic towards him. Only a loud minority think lowly of him. It's a shame that minority caused him to change his behaviour on court. He tried to become a robot and was rebuked for it. People dubbed him "dull" and the likes of one who wasn't awake on the court. Coria has always been in a "damned if you do" type of situation with the media and spectators; Hopefully he'll stop trying to please everyone. Nadal doesn't stop pumping his fists, Roddick doesn't bite his tongue, Murray depends on his ability to berate his coach; Coria should take a hint.

ja_
04-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah right? Amazing how people forget. He was such a pompous little prk on the court and with that smart little smirk on his face and his constant whining during matches. I just wanted to get off my seat and punch the little kid. Sorry, Im not normally a violent person but watching him play made me wanna smack him once or twice. If his wife cheated on him no surprise there. Hes way out of her league. Now that he sucks and his ranking is in the ozone layer she has no use for him. Whew! I feel better now. :-) Uh, I never liked him. Can you tell?
So don't get upset when people come out on Nadal. Deal?

kingdaddy41788
04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
It isn't true? Or it is? You'll have to clarify.

Morrissey
04-26-2007, 12:53 PM
So don't get upset when people come out on Nadal. Deal?

I understand completely. But they do and I will get fired up. Everyone's a critic. But I don't offer up excuses though. :-)

ja_
04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
I understand completely. But they do and I will get fired up. Everyone's a critic. But I don't offer up excuses though. :-)
Everyone is a critic, yes. And?

Btw, and this is for you as well as kingdaddy and anyone else that wants to believe Carla cheated on Coria...as much as the rumor angered Coria, I believe it's easily overlooked how much Carla and her family were hurt by it. Carla heard about the rumor by her mother, and Coria heard about it by Carla. Now as much effort one can put into disliking Coria for whatever reason, it's malacious to extend that hate beyond him to his wife and her family. Be "critical," fine. But be ethical.
Futhermore, Morrissey, Carla is very intelligent and doesn't "need" Coria by any means. For you to insinuate that she is a shallow minded gold-digger who should/would be quick to jump and cheat on her husband because he's a bad tennis player is...wow, I don't know what to say to that. But hey, as long as it makes you feel better.
In all sincerity, I do hope your understanding extends further.

SoBad
04-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Oh yeah, Coria - poor guy double-faulted his way out of ATP a year ago, if I remember correctly. I remember watching that clay court match last year against Keifer (in Monte Carlo?) where Coria had like 30 double-faults and still won the match. Then afterwards, when he was questioned about his serving in post-match interview, he said something like "yeah, but I still served better than Kiefer, since his serve got broken more times than mine". That was a peculiar angle...

esm
04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
lat time i saw him he was on the face of my new racqets......

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/EZZYJR/100_2202.jpg

Morrissey
04-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Everyone is a critic, yes. And?

Btw, and this is for you as well as kingdaddy and anyone else that wants to believe Carla cheated on Coria...as much as the rumor angered Coria, I believe it's easily overlooked how much Carla and her family were hurt by it. Carla heard about the rumor by her mother, and Coria heard about it by Carla. Now as much effort one can put into disliking Coria for whatever reason, it's malacious to extend that hate beyond him to his wife and her family. Be "critical," fine. But be ethical.
Futhermore, Morrissey, Carla is very intelligent and doesn't "need" Coria by any means. For you to insinuate that she is a shallow minded gold-digger who should/would be quick to jump and cheat on her husband because he's a bad tennis player is...wow, I don't know what to say to that. But hey, as long as it makes you feel better.
In all sincerity, I do hope your understanding extends further.

I dunno why youre taking it so personally. Shes not YOUR wife. By the way, for the record it wasnt me who said she cheated on him. The guy from Austin said it, not me.

ja_
04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I dunno why youre taking it so personally. Shes not YOUR wife. By the way, for the record it wasnt me who said she cheated on him. The guy from Austin said it, not me.
*pat on the back* Carry on.

Andres
04-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Oh yeah, Coria - poor guy double-faulted his way out of ATP a year ago, if I remember correctly. I remember watching that clay court match last year against Keifer (in Monte Carlo?) where Coria had like 30 double-faults and still won the match. Then afterwards, when he was questioned about his serving in post-match interview, he said something like "yeah, but I still served better than Kiefer, since his serve got broken more times than mine". That was a peculiar angle...
And that shows he has one of the most solid return and groundstroke games on the tour. Winning matches with 20+ double faults and getting broken almost every time :p

LarougeNY
04-27-2007, 05:23 PM
So when's the date for his arrival? Is he coming back in the next couple of weeks, or after the clay season's over?

SoBad
04-27-2007, 09:13 PM
And that shows he has one of the most solid return and groundstroke games on the tour.

Exactly, which makes it particularly interesting that instead of pointing out the superiority of his return game and game off the ground, he chose to explain his win over Kiefer by his own (Coria's) superior serving in that match.

edmondsm
04-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Coria commited the last great choke in tennis. We've yet to see one on that magnitude since.

SoBad
04-27-2007, 10:19 PM
How interesting that mens' biggest weapon in tennis - serve is the most fragile stroke at the same time. My explanation is that it is most fragile because it is least "reflexive" of all strokes. There is nothing coming at you, it is all up to you to produce it... Volleys i think are the opposite (ground strokes I guess being in between), you never hear of a player making his way off the tour by missing volleys. It's all mental...

Baghdatis72
04-28-2007, 02:20 AM
I think he will return but I'm not sure if he's going to have different luck from Gaudio.

Batoussai
04-28-2007, 04:32 AM

Congratulations on finding the world's thinnest argument!

Andres
04-28-2007, 04:46 AM
Exactly, which makes it particularly interesting that instead of pointing out the superiority of his return game and game off the ground, he chose to explain his win over Kiefer by his own (Coria's) superior serving in that match.
Because he's a little prrrrrick! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I remember those interviews. Specially after the match against Mathieu and Kiefer, when he double faulted 20+ times. He was kidding though, it was said in a humourous way, but still, when you read it, instead of listening to it, yeah, sounds pretty rude and obnoxious.

Rpp
04-28-2007, 01:06 PM
So when's the date for his arrival? Is he coming back in the next couple of weeks, or after the clay season's over?

If Coria finds his way to Ostrava he is scheduled to play against Lukas Dlouhy (CZE) next week. Probably trying to get WC to Roland Garros or then to go to qualifying of FO.

CyBorg
04-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Fearless forecast: Coria is done.

I wish it isn't true, but from what I hear he's ****ed that his body keeps breaking down on him. That's kind of what happens when you take months off partying it up, Guillermo!

I can think of one thing worse than him hanging it up now. Retiring three games into the very first set of his very first match.

Alejandro D
04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I remember those interviews. Specially after the match against Mathieu and Kiefer, when he double faulted 20+ times. He was kidding though, it was said in a humourous way, but still, when you read it, instead of listening to it, yeah, sounds pretty rude and obnoxious.

Remember what Kiefer said: Coria has the worst service he's ever seen; not even in the WTA you could find someone with such a poor service...
Kiefer was obviously embarrased for not be able to win over someone who double faults over 20 times.

SoBad
04-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Remember what Kiefer said: Coria has the worst service he's ever seen; not even in the WTA you could find someone with such a poor service...
Kiefer was obviously embarrased for not be able to win over someone who double faults over 20 times.

Don't take me wrong, I did not think that it was rude or obnoxious of Coria to say what he said. I thought it was very clever of him to respond the way he did - "yeah, perhaps my serving wasn't at its best, but it was still better than Kiefer's" hahahaha...:D

9000tennis
04-30-2007, 03:16 AM
If Coria finds his way to Ostrava he is scheduled to play against Lukas Dlouhy (CZE) next week. Probably trying to get WC to Roland Garros or then to go to qualifying of FO.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/1797/mds.pdf

This should be interesting!

Andres
04-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Don't take me wrong, I did not think that it was rude or obnoxious of Coria to say what he said. I thought it was very clever of him to respond the way he did - "yeah, perhaps my serving wasn't at its best, but it was still better than Kiefer's" hahahaha...:D
I remember, at one point (not sure which match, though), he was averaging 138 kmh on his 1st serve and 144 kmh on his 2nd serve!

He was actually "spicing up" the 2nd serve, lol!

(yeah, I know he wasn't... he was slowing down the first, boooh)

tenniko
04-30-2007, 05:09 AM
when your shoulder goes out, you cannot serve anymore. (still 90 mph serve is nothing to sneeze at.)

that's probably what happened (at least partially. probably a lot of mental breakdown after RG as well) to coria.

i don't think i've seen anyone come back strongly from a shoulder surgery among the pros. rafter had his career cut short, and goran...well, you know the story.

I think as long as coria gets the right people together to help him out, i think he can make a decent comeback a la canas.

SoBad
04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Shoulder injury... PLEASE! (or POR FAVOR, as Andres might put it). When a guy has 30 double-faults in a match yet enough ground game to win that match, we are not talking about a physical injury. It's a mental thing.

Andres
04-30-2007, 07:00 PM
when your shoulder goes out, you cannot serve anymore. (still 90 mph serve is nothing to sneeze at.).
He got the surgery before the 2004 TMC.
Early 2005, he was serving better than ever. Flatter, faster, and heavier. He even clocked 134 mph against Berdych on clay!

He was averaging 5, 6 or even 9 aces a match. It was a nice serve!
But he changed his technique and his grip (from a platform to pin point, and back to platform), and from EBH to Continental, and back to EBH, and lost absolute confidence on his serve, plus his 1st serve % dropped a lot!

Andres
04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Shoulder injury... PLEASE! (or POR FAVOR, as Andres might put it). When a guy has 30 double-faults in a match yet enough ground game to win that match, we are not talking about a physical injury. It's a mental thing.
Indeed. It's absolutely a mental thing. Coria had declared it himself. He had no confidence in his serve. He felt like he had to learn a whole new serve, and each time he tossed, he forgot all the mechanics (which makes sense, specially after serving 15 years one way, and having to change the stance and the grip all of a sudden)

SoBad
04-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, poor guy, hope you all got some good sports shrinks down in Argentina to get him straightened out. That match against Kiefer was painful and comical to watch at the same time. I am usually pretty good at predicting serves in pro match (flat down the T, slice out wide, etc.), but I was really struggling with Coria in that match (is he going to hit the bottom of the net or sail a few feet long on the next one?).

Rickson
04-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Anyone remembers Guillermo Coria?

I remember his wife! ;)

BERDI4
05-01-2007, 05:23 AM
The problem with he's serve was that Jose Perlas (the spanish coach) changed he's grip and style. That's when he lost he's serve

Andres
05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
No, he lost the serve a little before Perlas.

ja_
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
The first match where I noticed he was serving a lot of double faults was 2005 French Open vs. Djokovic. I believe he served nine in roughly 2 and 1/2 sets. Perlas had been his coach since that January. A little before Perlas was with Markus, which was directly after the shoulder surgery. Still then he hadn't totally lost the serve; it was slower than it already had been, but that's understandable, post-surgery.
Not only had Perlas suggested the change in grip, he also changed the stance; Coria always had a pinpoint stance, but switched to an open stance like Federer. At the beginning, he had adapted to the changes well, but near the second half of the year, it really fell off. Anyway, and Coria has said so as well, it's not wholey the fault of Perlas. He suggested what he thought would work and it didn't turn out well.

Just to clarify on the comment Coria made after that match vs. Kiefer, a journalist told him that Kiefer said the only time he'd seen so many double faults was in womens' tennis. To that Coria responded, "but I won." Kiefer was really upset (as usual) after that match and it's rumored/known that he said something to Coria at the net. I thought the whole thing was hilarious.