PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here switch grips a lot?

perfmode
09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I like a variety of grips for different days surfaces and styles. Sometimes I feel like hitting flatter, so I use an eastern grip and a big wrist pronation for the spin. That's on my S&V days. Then there's my all-court/baseline days when I use a SW to hit moderate spin but still hitting through for depth. Then there are times when I feel like staying back and hitting western for angles instead of depth as I can't keep the ball deep with all that spin. I also adjust depending on the player. SW is still my native grip though.

A lot of people say that they have trouble trying new grips but I like it. I play just as well with whatever I use unless I try to go continental. I just can't find the swingpath for that grip. I'm going to post some vids of my strokes so you can analyze them and rate me compared to the pro's. :lol:

Chanchai
09-12-2004, 12:57 AM
I'm sure I've covered it in the course of a few threads... But I use quite a variety of grips on both wings.

It generally depends on my strategy, tactics, comfort in hitting and seeing the ball on the day, and what my opponent is hitting at me. I tend to make my decisions pretty quick, around the time of the split step, sometimes sooner if I'm comfortable reading play.

Anyways... Here are the grips I mostly work with (I mainly use continantal on serves and volleys).

Forehand
-Semi Western (almost always)
-Full Western (occasionally)
-Continental (not all that often, but I use this grip for slice forehands if I ever use it, and for some of the moments I block the ball or go for dropshots--I tend to do those last two shots with the semi-western sometimes actually).

One-Handed Backhand
-Eastern--one knuckle on top bevel (almost always).
-Eastern--knuckles lined along top bevel (it's becoming more common in my game lately, but still not that common).
-Semi-Western--same as semi-western forehand so to speak (I use this mostly on short balls if I want to take advantage of the angle, only sometimes on high balls).
-Continental--almost always for slice backhand. I can drive a ball fairly well with continental, but I don't like the shot or the feel nearly as much as what I'm getting on any of the Eastern backhand grips.

And then beyond the grips, there are a few other factors I play with that affect how I hit the ball or create different shots. But as far as conventional grips go, the above is how I handle my forehands and backhands.

-Chanchai

KingBugsy
09-12-2004, 06:07 AM
So it is not considered "bad" to have multiple grips for groundstrokes? Do any pros use this methodology? (not counting the grip change for volleys and slices)

I use a SW grip primarily, but have started to lean towards a Full Western for short balls (that need some extra topspin to stay in) and now sometimes from the basline to give the ball some more spin for a high topspin shot.

Just wondering if this is considered a "good" idea in general... or it it frowned upon by tennis pros and instructors.

cervelo
09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Don't sweat it and do what works ... I have a bum right hand and a testy left shoulder ... A few years ago, I switched from righty to lefty b/c of the hand. Now that it's usable again, I get caught trying to figure out which arm feels like playing on any given day ... Coach's nightmare ...

papa
09-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I don't think its unusual to change grips often - some seem to use the same grip for most shots but I don't think that advisable.

I find that I have to adjust my grip going from clay to a hard indoor surface. The higher the ball bounces the more I use the SW grip but its hard to use that grip on balls that consistently stay close to the surface - at least for me.

Chanchai
09-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Welll, like most (if not all) people here, I'm just a developing player myself. Most of my advice or experiences can easily be taken with just a grain of salt.

But my perspective is that I'm still at a stage where I like to experiment, yet keep within realm of comfort, and definitely stay in the realm of safety.

For the moment, I'm fine switching grips for different situations, not that it needs too much thinking sometimes. But at the same time, promoting a natural feel for adjusting to situations as they come. Assuming I go to higher and higher levels, or deal with higher and higher level opponents--I'll be able to feel what I can't do or am uncomfortable doing and maybe then I'll change some habits like having a large array of shots and committing a moment (but not standing still while doing it) to considering my options.

Aside from return of serve, I haven't been forced out of a normal takeback of the racquet, and I am comfortable changing to any grip during the backswing as it is at the moment. So I feel the variety is fine as long as the backswing doesn't have to be changed much, but even then I feel comfortable changing grips.

I'm still in the learning process, myself. And I'm sure I'll know (after repeated failure anyways) when I'm pushed into a situation to choose my few guns early and stick to them. But for now, it just hasn't happened yet, but I don't consider that level an impossibility.

So what I'm saying is... Just keep trying what you want to try as long as it doesn't create or aggrevate injuries (including very minor ones). Perhaps working on variety or various areas of the game will help keep your motivation and game morale up. But as you progress, keep an open mind that your perspectives might change with your competition and you might have to change some things (whether it's the depth of your arsenal, or just a few minor changes). That's how I feel about it anyways.

-Chanchai