PDA

View Full Version : Hours on the court

GNIHT
04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I've heard stories of Agassi hitting balls for 6 hours a day when he was very little, or other young children (ie, under/around 10 years old) hitting all day long. How much of this is believable, and, when do these kids find time to do any real schoolwork, or, are they simply not getting any education?

Just how much 'on court' time are the top ranked USTA 10's playing, and, if you want to be a pro, do you more or less have to give up on school after kindergarten?

Lane
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I've heard stories of Agassi hitting balls for 6 hours a day when he was very little, or other young children (ie, under/around 10 years old) hitting all day long. How much of this is believable, and, when do these kids find time to do any real schoolwork, or, are they simply not getting any education?

Just how much 'on court' time are the top ranked USTA 10's playing? Are the getting any real education or do you pretty much have to choose between the two?

PS -- I realize that as you get older, 12, 14 etc, you pretty much give up school entirely if you have any hope of turning pro, but do little kids have to as well?

I don't know what kind Of teacher or School you have, but we go on block Schedule We get out at 12:00 and I have 1~2 hrs to finish ALL my homework and then I go outside and hit balls on a wall or go out with my friends play or else Im here on this forum.

fgs
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
gniht,
on the usta website you'll find some interesting information about high performance player development - until 10 yrs of age it's advisable that kids don't play more than 10hrs. a week. now that would and could be some 5 2hrs. sessions. more is really not advisable if you don't want that kid getting fed up with tennis by the age of 12. there are also exceptions to this rule, in the sense that some kids would spend the whole day on court, but they'd be just wasting their time - they can't learn since they can't concentrate, they'd only be hitting around and that is at least useless if not counterproductive. of the kid is "tennis crazy", there's a possibility to have him play more during vacations, but it would be much smarter until the age of 12-13 have him do some other sports too, like swimming, basketball (not before 8-9 years) in order to develop coordination skills.
also it would be good that the kid rather play in a group and not individual lessons. my son will be 8 this summer and i have him play 3 times a week in a group of 4 kids for 1.5hr and i play with him another 2 times a week for 1.5hrs.

babolat15
04-02-2007, 06:01 PM
i play 16 hours a week, Im 13

Duzza
04-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I have heaps of time to play tennis when not doing schoolwork. I'm not sure how much American's get but in YR 12 we do get a fair bit, but enough to cope with. Some of my friends do 1 hour a night, some do 5. It depends on the subjects, I'm doing all maths and one humanities so I don't get as much as all humanities kids. When I'm not playing tennis or schoolwork I'm either on here or just wasting my time. There is enough time for tennis always, you just have to prioritise right.

ibringtheHEAT
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
i play 14+ hours a week......I'm 15 and make good grades (english aside).......you just have to find a balance.

Firestarter
04-04-2007, 12:27 PM
i play 14+ hours a week......I'm 15 and make good grades (english aside).......you just have to find a balance.

same here
i play about 14-16 hr a week
and i get good grades except for english (got a D last semester!?)
but i'm improving on that right now...

GNIHT
04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
gniht,
on the usta website you'll find some interesting information about high performance player development - until 10 yrs of age it's advisable that kids don't play more than 10hrs. a week. now that would and could be some 5 2hrs. sessions. more is really not advisable if you don't want that kid getting fed up with tennis by the age of 12. there are also exceptions to this rule, in the sense that some kids would spend the whole day on court, but they'd be just wasting their time - they can't learn since they can't concentrate, they'd only be hitting around and that is at least useless if not counterproductive. of the kid is "tennis crazy", there's a possibility to have him play more during vacations, but it would be much smarter until the age of 12-13 have him do some other sports too, like swimming, basketball (not before 8-9 years) in order to develop coordination skills.
also it would be good that the kid rather play in a group and not individual lessons. my son will be 8 this summer and i have him play 3 times a week in a group of 4 kids for 1.5hr and i play with him another 2 times a week for 1.5hrs.

7.5 hours a week is a good amount of tennis for a 7 year old, he must be pretty good! Thanks for the info!

mardy_fish
04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
i hit 10 hours a week during the spring and a couple per week the rest of the year

Fossika
04-06-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm 16 and I do max of 6/7 hrs, too expensive to pay for coaching to do any more than that. Plus with homework my friend and I can't play for too long or very regularly apart from normal coaching.

fgs
04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
gniht,
so my son turns 8 this summer (july to be more precise). he wanted to start at 5 - asked me to get him to a tennis club after watching us open. did so in september 2004. the first year he was in a group with other 5 kids and played on the average once a week - should have played twice a week for one hour, but he was sick (caught a flue) or we left town, or whatever. september 05 i started to play myself individually with him. he had the basics and at 6 i thought he's fit to mix it up - individual lessons (with me) and group lessons. so, we stepped it up, he played on the average twice a week with his group and twice a week with me for an hour. last fall we stepped it up again, also from the intensity - he's playing 3 times a week with another 3 children in a group for 1.5 hrs, and twice a week with me individually for 1.5 hr - making it 7.5 hrs. per week. the average playing time will be somewhat lower since there is an occasional flue, or we're leaving on vacation - NO tennis, just skiing. i'll keep it up with him for another year, until he's nine, with 7.5 hrs a week. depending on how he develops, i might get him towards 10 hours per week up to the age of ten.
this year i will start him playing tournament. depending on how it works out (he'd play ten and under, so there's a two years difference with some of the competitors) i'd like him to play some 8-10 tournaments or anything between 10-20 matches. that should be enough for the first year.
that usta schedule is based on true facts. some parents will overdo their children at an early age and that is stupid, because they simply won't love the game, they will see it as a form of punishment. a proper balance has to be kept, and until about 12, when they start to better understand some things, it is very dangerous overdoing - they will quit as soon as they feel they can. i've seen this happen quite a lot around me. tennis is a mental game - if you're tired of tennis you'll never make it as a champ.

103xStateChamp
04-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Most of our kids stay after practice and are in NHS (National Honors Society) get home at 6:00 then just do your homework and or study

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-08-2007, 01:47 PM
i'm 16 and i play about 18 hrs a week.
2.5 hrs monday
2 hrs tuesday
3 hrs wednesday
2 hrs thursday
2.5 hrs friday
4 hrs saturday
2 hrs sunday

Roger_Federer.
04-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I play about 13 hours a week

NebAce1
04-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I play around 10-11 hours a week, not including tournaments

IT WAS IN!!!
04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
wow and i thought i played alot I play 7-9 hrs a week

N4n45h1
04-11-2007, 07:24 AM
i play 4 hrs a day while taking classes that are atleast a year ahead of the pack, i also have a 3.9 gpa, i dont think its a large problem, even in highschool. I might skip a day every once in a while if i have a large test coming up. btw im 15 in gr 10. I imagine that if anyone devotes themselves they should be fine. I get out of school at 2:30, and play tennis until nearly 7, then i go home and finish my hwk until maybe 8:30 or 9, i take advantage of all my time though, so i do homework as i get it during the day

theRadical
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Kid on my highscool team was #1 in the pacific northwest until he moved up another age group, (hes still way up there). anyway he used to go to our 2 hour practices and then another 2 hours at his club. do the math, thats a lot of tennis

Ronny
04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
i normally squeeze in 8-12hrs a week on court

xtennisloverx
04-24-2007, 06:07 AM
around 3 hr. practice per weelday
2 hr. on weekend

17 hours a week

NebAce1
04-24-2007, 11:46 AM
I wish I could play more, but where I live for most of the year you can't play outside. And playing inside and taking lessons at clubs is very expensive.

Fat_Cup_Of_Tea
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't play competitively, so figures that I don't play a lot. I only play and average of about 7 hours a week (during the school season I play about 20+ a week). I do clinics two times a week, individual lessons once a week, and play with a friend/friends at least once a week.

EasternRocks
05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
It mostly depends... if you don't really care about school work... like if you want to be pro...
well, i play juniors and i am very active...i play about 15 hours a week...
_______________________________________-
duzza, do you live in the united states?