PDA

View Full Version : turning pro

mosquito
09-11-2004, 07:56 PM
what the process of turning pro?

lenosucks
09-11-2004, 08:36 PM
go to tournaments, win tournaments, enter bigger tournaments, win bigger tournaments, accept money, bam you're officially a professional tennis player.

Aus Mosis
09-12-2004, 12:44 AM
it's just that easy

aahala
09-12-2004, 09:31 AM
I think it's more accurate to call the process simple than easy.

There's dozens of minor league tournaments in the US and worldwide to earn points into major league tennis. There are apparently thousands of high caliber players trying to get into the big time but relatively few slots at the top.

Unless you are a finalist in some of these low level tournaments, the prize money won't always pay your cab fare back to the motel.
Most minor leaguers are part-timers, folks who live on nothing or those who have deep pockets.

tennisboy87
09-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Just declare yourself a pro, and then that's it.

goober
09-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Just delcare yourself a pro, and then that's it :D

Alright then... I AM PRO

Somebody want to give me some money to play tennis ? :P

Matt H.
09-12-2004, 08:59 PM
do you have to sign something with the ATP?

i've always been curious...because you gotta do something tax-wise.

IV10Spro
09-13-2004, 10:47 AM
You don't have to do anything tax wise unless you actually win money.

If you start to win money then worry about it. You then can hire a tax attorney / agent to worry about it. But we are talking tens of thousands in winnings.

I never made more than 10k in a year and didn't report any of it correctly (to the proper country or state). It was reported correctly to Uncle Sam because most USTA circuit tournaments (futures) will give you a 1099 if the incom was over a certain amount but I don't remember how much. It has been a whils since I went on in life.

All you really have to do to be considerd a pro in the eyes of most organizations is declare you are before you check-in and the accept money.

This is a very grey area because nobody keeps track of such declarations. This is why many foreigners play professionally in other parts of the world and them come over here and play college tennis.

GIV

IV10Spro
09-13-2004, 10:48 AM
sorry, I forgot. YOu only have to do "stuff" with the ATP when you crack the top 500.

GIV

callitout
09-13-2004, 12:24 PM
why waste your time on tennis the average pro in top 100 earns peanuts compared to the NBA. If your gonna just bam become a pro become a pro basketball player. If you become an all star you'll earn 10million a year.
Oh, btw there's no application necessary for a Nobel prize--so to save paperwork maybe just go after that one.

goober
09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
why waste your time on tennis the average pro in top 100 earns peanuts compared to the NBA. If your gonna just bam become a pro become a pro basketball player. If you become an all star you'll earn 10million a year.

True dat.

Adonal Foyle got 41 million dollars over 6 years for a guy who averaged 3.1 points, 3.8 rebounds. Heck if I were 7 foot tall I am pretty sure I could average those numbers.

armand
05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I see on the ATP website it lists "Turned Pro: 1986" for Agassi but he was ranked beginning in 1985. Can you have a rank without actually being a professional?

zapvor
05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
junior ranking?

Fee
05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
I see on the ATP website it lists "Turned Pro: 1986" for Agassi but he was ranked beginning in 1985. Can you have a rank without actually being a professional?

Yes. Sam Querrey had a ranking before he officially turned pro. Although he played tournaments in the Spring of 2006, he did not accept prize money until the Yuba City Challenger in early June. Currently, Jesse Levine and Alex Clayton both have rankings, but I am pretty sure that both of them are still 'amateurs' (Levine is in college in Florida somewhere).

raiden031
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM

There are college players that have pro rankings but aren't considered pro because of the money factor.

LuckyR
05-25-2007, 12:09 PM
what the process of turning pro?

Pretty simple really, you're a Pro when you cash your first check, just winning the prize money from the tournament doesn't actually make you a Pro...

GRANITECHIEF
05-25-2007, 12:38 PM
The first direct step to being a pro is to get an ATP point by winning round in a futures match.

Jyles
05-25-2007, 12:52 PM
a Pro would be someone winning, Official Tournaments, set by the tennis association or whatever there called ;!

[[[Quote:
callitout
Oh, btw there's no application necessary for a Nobel prize--so to save paperwork maybe just go after that one.]]]

x_x why would i go play basketball? we play tennis not basketball>.

lethalfang
05-26-2007, 02:42 AM
True dat.

Adonal Foyle got 41 million dollars over 6 years for a guy who averaged 3.1 points, 3.8 rebounds. Heck if I were 7 foot tall I am pretty sure I could average those numbers.

Not as easy as it looks. Just ask Greg Ostertag.

adlis
06-30-2007, 02:52 PM
theres a few pro players on these board why dont you ask them?