PDA

View Full Version : Another jerk story... hehehe. Kinda long.

9000tennis
04-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Reading the post about the most famous jerk in USTA league, I've decided to write a similar story about a player, his identity kept secret of course, who may very well be the biggest jerk in Danish tennis.

So here it goes: The jerk - a short story (or something)

The story starts in 1998. I'm 15 years old at the time, but still I played on our seniors team, like many Danish tennis talents does (I wasn't a big talent though). My team had managed to win the league and therefore had to play the finals of the regional championships, and this is where I first met the man many would decribe as a complete and utter jerk.
We started off with the doubles. My friend and I playing against "the jerk" and his partner. From the start we found out that there was something wrong with this guy. He went crazy over wierd balls and generally treated his partner very bad. But that was just to our advantage. We were firmly ahead in the first set, when my partner double faulted. But then "the jerk" out of nowhere decided to celebrate like he won the match, fists pumping and everything, screaming YEAH YEAH. First we thought he was joking because we were winning, but he was serious. My partner and I just laughed a bit at him behind his back and managed to win the set without losing a game.
Then at the start of the second set the jerk got an easy shot at the net, where my partner stood. He could just have hit the ball anywhere and still made a winner, but he decided to hit my partner as hard as he could in his chest. From experience we were a bit used to this, so we didn't go mad or anything, but then the jerk started acting like he won the match AGAIN, screaming and fists pumping and everything. A normal apology would be accepted, but nothing we demanded. But this behavior??? That guy was out of control. His partner then came and apologized. But of course, in the next game he does the exact same thing. It's totally accepted to shoot for your apponent, but his behavior was, again, out of control. But my partner had had enough. He walked up to the net and more or less told the guy NEVER to come to the net. It's funny how jerks can get your blood going like that. So the rest of the match he went up to the net a few times only to find us shooting directly against him. We won 6-0, 6-1.

I had to play singles against the jerk. I was playing solid tennis and won 6-1, 6-0. He cheated very much, but I did not let that affect me. From time to time I just said to him "Cheat all you want, I'll still win the match". After the game I just walked over to my partner, who was playing singles next to me and congratulated him on winning the championships (we could not lose or get a draw after I won my match). Immediately after I had beaten the jerk he just took all his stuff and got into his car and drove away. The rest of his team were just stood there. We gave them some champagne. They were nice people. They told us that noone in their club talked to this guy and noone liked him.

The story could end here, but I doesn't. The jerk is back!!

Last year we again saw the return of the jerk. He had changed clubs and we were to play against his team.

My partner and I remembered the guy, so we talked a bit behind his back about what an idiot his was, and we kinda hoped he had grown up a bit. I think he's in his mid-30'ies. But were we wrong!
We started off with the doubles. Luckily my partner and I did not have to play him in doubles. The 2 other guys in my team had to. From the beginning he cheated, but this time his partner was overruling him, but also he was very furious at my team for no reason what so ever. My team is clearly winning their doubles and trying to have a good time, but again the jerk manages to ruin that. One of my team's players gets an easy smash at the net with the jerk standig just over the net. My team mate could have hit the smash straight at the jerk, but just decided to give the ball a gentle touch, because the jerk turned around. He didn't hit him, but right after the ball was played the jerk turns around screaming as loud as he can at my friend, telling him that he is a big idiot because he tried to hit him. The smash was 1 km/h, very very soft and did not hit him. The jerk then takes a ball a fires at hard as he can towards my friend, who is standing 2 metres from him. Luckily he did not hit him, because that could very well have broken his nose or hurt his eye. My other team mate then runs towards the jerk almost ready to get into a fist fight, doing what all of us wanted. But me being team captain manages to get in between the two, holding my team mate back, saying it's not worth it. He calms down and they win the match very easily. But already there is a very bad atmosphere.
My doubles partner played against the jerk in singles. He won 6-0, 6-0. After acing the jerk in the first point, the jerk throws his racquet at the fence and more or less gives up. After the match the jerk leaves not thinking about his team mates at all. We all discussed what a jerk he was, the other team said that he had played his last match for that club.
But he didn't....

I have a friend, who plays for another team in my league, who also shared his experience with the jerk.
My friend's team travelled over 100 kilometers to play against the jerks club, but due to a flat tire they showed up 15 minutes late. They even called ahead saying they had a flat tire and would be a little late. The jerk's team captain said that that was no problem, take your time changing the tire.
But when they arrived and got on court for warm-ups the jerk said that he wanted to play his singles game NOW, walking on to the court alone and threw his racquet a number of times against the fence screaming how angry he was that the opponents was 15 minutes late. That he could not accept it.
My friend had to play against him, and he was far the superior player. My friend won the first set easily, but right at the start of the second set, the jerk took cheating to new levels. He called balls out that were 1 meter in. And he did that repeatedly. He also screamed and acted badly, and especially called my friend many many things not worth mentioning here due to foul language. There was no way my friend could win the match with the jerk's cheating even though the jerk's team captain said that he should stop cheating now or else he would be kicked off the team for good. The jerk just told his team captain to **** off basicly. My friend just had enough and walked away knowing that he would take a default. The jerk just got to him.

Hopefully the jerk's story stops here, but we can only wait till next season to find out.

So all in all, jerks can be found anywhere, and some a bigger than others. I know that if I play him again and he starts cheating and acting bad, I'll report him to the tennis federation.

Cheers for reading:p

treo
04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
People like that who are extreme jerks are mentally ill and need professional help. We should feel sorry for them. Maybe there should be a rule that you can't play leagues if you have a history of mental illness.

kingdaddy41788
04-02-2007, 11:07 AM
that guy's ****in crazy!!!

Ronaldo
04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
that guy's ****in crazy!!!

Believe this sport allows crazees to thrive. Imagine how their families deal with these nutcases.

Tchocky
04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
That guy needs a serious beating.

kingdaddy41788
04-02-2007, 12:19 PM

And not on a tennis court.

VGP
04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
That guy needs to take up boxing or martial arts. Someone would surely enjoy going to work on that guy.

Honestly, after almost ten years it's amazing that the person you described has the balls to even walk out onto a tennis court.

Ronaldo
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Sounds like he been getting that beating regularly

9000tennis
04-02-2007, 02:20 PM
We actually talked about that he must have some kind of a mental illness. It has to be the only explanation. No one can change that much when walking on to a tennis court or just being near one. There have to be something wrong with him. Some people from his team train indoors at my club. Perhaps I should ask them why he is like that, and if he has been kicked out of the club.

tennus
04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
He is indeed a sorry case. It has been my experience that guys like this exist in every part of society. I personally believe their acts are shaped by their craving for attention from a young age. The jerk can be educated, articulate and wealthy or illiterate and poor both materially and in spirit. The jerk can be found in the police force, politics, customer service, hospitals, social security, defence, business, the tax office, and even humanitarian aid agencies. There is no hiding from the jerk as he or she will find you. The jerk baits you looking for a reaction, feeding from your frustration. You best defence against the jerk is your smile. :)

beernutz
04-02-2007, 04:44 PM
He is indeed a sorry case. It has been my experience that guys like this exist in every part of society. I personally believe their acts are shaped by their craving for attention from a young age. The jerk can be educated, articulate and wealthy or illiterate and poor both materially and in spirit. The jerk can be found in the police force, politics, customer service, hospitals, social security, defence, business, the tax office, and even humanitarian aid agencies. There is no hiding from the jerk as he or she will find you. The jerk baits you looking for a reaction, feeding from your frustration. You best defence against the jerk is your smile. :)

Well said. POTW (post of the week).

Raiden.Kaminari
04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Well said. POTW (post of the week).

I have to agree. Your best defense is smiling (which usually infuriates them even more). Of course, it's really bad when the jerk is your boss.

At least in USTA, you can file a grievance against the player. And eventually, when enough complaints pile up, the player is suspended. And if even more complaints pile up, the player is banned from anything related to USTA.

Of course, that doesn't prevent the player from attempting to re-register, but his/her former opponents will usually report him/her and get him/her banned quickly enough :)

Professor Silvian Kuerton
04-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Please summarize your story, friend. I am on a very tight schedule, but at the same exact time, am intensely curious about why the protagonist or antagonist in your story is a "jerk".

In waiting,
Prof. Silvian Kuerton

Banana Burrito
04-09-2007, 06:53 AM
It's sad that my first post has to be a grievance about cheaters, but anyway...

I play team tennis in my university club and absolutely hate the cheaters that play on a weekly basis. It really ****es me off when people argue calls that I know are flagrantly wrong. Like last week when I played my doubles match and I called several balls out because my partner and I could clearly see the balls being hit beyond the lines. Then the other guys were just getting ****ed off and kicking up a big fuss about how I made bad calls. Then they resort to intimidation and fire balls right at me while I'm at the net.

I played a singles match with one of the same opponents next and he continues the whole line calling debacle by calling everything that touched the baseline out. It started out with him not even calling the shots out in the first place and me thinking I won the point. Then the next point before I serve (or even worse, two points later) he calls out the score indicating that I lost the point. He did that a couple of times before I told him to call them clearly. He just continues making all these bad calls with the baseline shots and refuses to replay points even when I disputed his calls. He makes things even worse when I'm serving for the match by calling a couple of serves down the T and on the lines out. It really ticked me off how he delayed his calls on a lot of points as well and how he goes "Oh! I think it was out." It just got to be plain annoying playing this guy.

I just get really frustrated and angry when stuff like this happens. I don't think it's fair to me as a player and it's just absurd at this level of the game the lengths people will go to in order to win. Plus the fact that these guys are in one of the top universities in the country. It just boggles the mind. I guess it just goes to show that intelligence doesn't translate into character.

Lost both matches with really close scores. End of rant.:mad:

Gugafan_Redux
04-09-2007, 07:14 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/The-Shining---Jack-Nicholson-Poster-C11790189.jpeg

"One all, Love-love!"

Kaptain Karl
04-09-2007, 08:33 AM
There was one guy, on one team, in our College Conference who *everybody* knew about. We'd warn other teams about him so they knew what to watch out for....

His name was Harold, but everybody called him "Hooker Harold." (Even his teammates.) Almost every #2 Player knew to request a Referee immediately at the Lineup Introductions before the match. (The craziest part was ... Harold always challenged more calls than his opponents. He may have succeeded with ONE challenge in all the matches I witnessed.) ... BTW, *I* played #2 Singles. I got to play Harold at least four times a year. (Joy!)

HH seemed to be completely convinced he made good calls and everybody else was a cheater. All the teams in the Conference even knew it was okay if the Referee was a non-playing member of HH's team; the Referee's calls would still be honest.

[When I played College Tennis (1975) you could request a Referee if you thought you were being cheated. The Ref's job was to watch the match from one of your net posts and only make a call if one player questioned the opponent's call. The Ref didn't "call the match" like the Umpires do.]

In Dubs we didn't need a Ref. HH's own partner would overrule him regularly. He didn't appear to care about his reputation; he "knew" he was right.

Harold the Hooker was one of those sad/funny players. He was actually quite a physically capable player; he just couldn't NOT cheat. Too bad....

- KK

mmuubb
04-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Oh, the jerk reminds me of a guy who played the league here in Poland. Although his acting on court was almost as incredible (but not far away, as he had a habit of throwing his racquet at his opponent) his cheating was even better-once (after being beaten 6-1 6-2) after shaking hands he said that HE was the one to win the match and no authority(no judges, no organisers anywhere close the court) could prove otherwise. After a long discussion they were forced to play again, this time with a judge. His opponent(who happens to be my friend) played a dropshot and when the jerk came to the net, he fired a massive forehand right at him, hitting his face just below the eye. When he was on the ground , he just said "revenge mother****er "and went home without a word more. That's how jerks can infect You with their jerkiness(my friend is normally the most calm tennis player I know)-both behaved terribly IMHO.
Apart from this, I think that playing again(given the guys reputation and words of every one watching the match)was a stupid decision to make by the main judge- I don't know what to do instead of it, but it feels just wrong.

Kaptain Karl
04-09-2007, 10:07 AM
[Your friend] played a dropshot and when the jerk came to the net, he fired a massive forehand right at him, hitting his face just below the eye. When he was on the ground , he just said "revenge ************ "and went home without a word more.I bet your friend wishes he'd stayed on the court for the "replay" match. Can you imagine what the Jerk would have done on your friend's next drop shot...? (I'm thinking he might *refuse* to come to net against him. It would be the most drop-shotted match ever.)

Apart from this, I think that playing again(given the guys reputation and words of every one watching the match)was a stupid decision to make by the main judge- I don't know what to do instead of it, but it feels just wrong.USTA Rules used to be ... with an Official attempt to "reconstruct" the points in question. If that fails and neither side will relent, spin a racket to determine who "wins" the argument. (Also, the Official should assign someone to Referee the rest of the match.)

I know your friend wasn't playing a USTA match.

- KK

Cindysphinx
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
All I want out of life is to make sure my daughters never marry a jerk.

A lot of women do, you know . . .

sureshs
04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Seems many of you have experienced more jerks than I ever will (hopefully). How are these guys in real life, i.e., at work and home? Is there a continuity in their jerkiness or is it a Jekyll and Hyde behavior (like road rage is supposed to transform peaceful people into monsters)?

beernutz
04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Seems many of you have experienced more jerks than I ever will (hopefully). How are these guys in real life, i.e., at work and home? Is there a continuity in their jerkiness or is it a Jekyll and Hyde behavior (like road rage is supposed to transform peaceful people into monsters)?

I think you'll find all kinds on the courts.

Some players are jerks on the court and carry on with their jerkiness off the court as well.

Others are just so competitive that their jerk tendencies appear only when they play. There is a guy I play with sometimes who is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet off the court, however, when he plays tennis the lines are out and no amount of ridicule or insistence will convince him otherwise.

We even joke about his line calling with him when he plays but I don't believe he'll ever change.

Raiden.Kaminari
04-10-2007, 12:21 AM

Most of these people are able to hide behind a mask at work.

However, when they get stressed, the nasty part of them comes out.

Or worse, when it's time for promotions, they claim to have done the work you've done (my personal experience). Even worse is during "restructuring," and they claim to have done your work. You just never know when it's going to come out.

Personally, once I see someone behave badly playing any sport, I stop associating with them.

Kaptain Karl
04-10-2007, 05:59 AM
Personally, once I see someone behave badly playing any sport, I stop associating with them.I use a similar "litmus test." If someone will cheat in a "friendly game" of (Tennis, Golf, Chess, Darts, etc.) it reveals a great deal about their character. They'll probably cheat you on the bigger business / money issues, too. Beware.

- KK

sureshs
04-10-2007, 06:44 AM
It used to be said that many CEOs would not do business with/hire someone whom they were not comfortable playing golf with.