PDA

View Full Version : Video of Pusher?

Jesse2005
04-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I see all these posts on pushers and I'm wondering if there is some video somewhere that shows a pusher. I checked youtube and there's one video but I can't really make heads or tails of it. Any way to definitively identify a pusher?

I'm starting my first league and don't want to be accused of this cardinal offense. I don't think I'm a pusher as I like to hit full strokes and play offensively.

J011yroger
04-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Dont worry man, you will be fine. Just have fun. As for pushers, you will know one when you see one.

J

Attila the tennis Bum
04-08-2007, 07:10 AM
I see all these posts on pushers and I'm wondering if there is some video somewhere that shows a pusher. I checked youtube and there's one video but I can't really make heads or tails of it. Any way to definitively identify a pusher?

I'm starting my first league and don't want to be accused of this cardinal offense. I don't think I'm a pusher as I like to hit full strokes and play offensively.

You do not need a Video. The Nadal & Fed rivalry or even the Canas rivalry is an analogy of what happens at the club level with pushers. "Pushing" is not an offense. It is a legitimate strategy . People will hate you only because they are frustrated with themselves.

Nadal is FAR from a pusher in that he has huge power and strokes. Nevertheless Nadal sort of uses a "Pusher" strategy against Federer and so does Canas. These guys can chase anything down . Thats why Fed calls Nadal "One dimensional".

Federer is frustrated because Nadal can run down anything that Fed throws at him on clay. Fed hits beautiful shot after beautiful shot and Nadal or Canas simply chases it down. Sooner or later fed will make a mistake. Did you see how many unforced erros Fed had at the FO? People think he has an off night...the truth is that Nadal had a better strategy!

At the club level a pusher simply pushes the ball back.The name "Pusher" was used to describe this type of player becaue they do nothing but "Push" the ball back. No slice,No topspin, no angle....the ball is simply "pushed" back into the middle of the court just begging you to swing as hard as you can and make a mistake.

The pusher is extremely consistent. He makes no mistakes as all he has to do is push the ball back. Even his serves are usually pushes. he makes no unforced errors and at the club level that is HUGE!

The Pusher is almost daring you as if to say "here is the ball just where you want it.....go ahead just try and put it away...I dare you!".......you then whack it as hard as you can and somehow he pushes it back again and again until you finally make a mistake.

Now you know how fed feels at the FO! ITS FRUSTRATING!

The reason people hate pushers is because they are really frustrated with themselves. They do not realize why they lost. The ball was given right where you wanted it over and over again! How can a pusher with no strokes beat you? The answer is that the pusher has a very sound strategy and you do not!

...Now if you want to know how to beat a pusher thats another topic. However, I will say that on an outdoor clay court with lots of sun and wind...its freaking hard to beat a very good pusher.

Mick
04-08-2007, 07:45 AM
...its freaking hard to beat a very good pusher.

especially if that pusher knows how to end a point !

Attila the tennis Bum
04-08-2007, 09:26 AM
especially if that pusher knows how to end a point !

Pushers cannot end points.

Just a note...naDal is NO pusher....but he uses a Pushers startegy of running down everything. There are no pushers on the pro tour.

Voltron
04-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Nadal is a counter puncher, which is like a pusher in the sense that he gets every ball, but he outhits you whilst doing it.

! ! ! ! ronakp10
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
A true pusher is one that hits shots back for the sole purpose of hitting them back. They're only obj. is to get the ball over the net and nothing else. They're not cheating because that is also the obj. in the game, "hit one more ball into the court than your opponent".

Though too many people accuse someone of being a pusher (this forum esp.).

Mick
04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Pushers cannot end points.

That is what I understand the definition of a pusher to be but a lot of people in this forum feel otherwise (they think pushers can end points)

Attila the tennis Bum
04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Nadal is a counter puncher, which is like a pusher in the sense that he gets every ball, but he outhits you whilst doing it.

Hmmmmm.....Its really tough to define Nadals style. I am not sure he is a counter puncher because with that topspin he hots some huge winners. Borg was a counter puncher....nadal is a little bit more agressive. I think a new category should be made just for Nadal!

They creates a new category called agressive baseliner...so how about agressive counter puncher...or agressive Runner.

westside
04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YxD3xyfuEQ

Mick
04-08-2007, 09:31 PM

that guy knows how to end a point :)

Solat
04-09-2007, 02:37 AM

haha, nice

Attila the tennis Bum
04-09-2007, 07:08 AM
that guy knows how to end a point :)

ummm not really. I would not call what he hit a "winner". It had almost nothing on it. The truth is that his opponent was out of position.

Secondly that "Pusher" was not a "masterful" pusher because he does not look very fast.

Mick
04-09-2007, 07:18 AM
ummm not really. I would not call what he hit a "winner". It had almost nothing on it. The truth is that his opponent was out of position.

Secondly that "Pusher" was not a "masterful" pusher because he does not look very fast.

Alrighty. In my view, that's all you need to do when playing tennis: move your opponent out of position and then hit a shot where your opponent cannot get to. If you could do this all the time, you could beat Federer.

Attila the tennis Bum
04-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Alrighty. In my view, that's all you need to do when playing tennis: move your opponent out of position and then hit a shot where your opponent cannot get to. If you could do this all the time, you could beat Federer.

except you need a lot more than those shots to get by Federer. I mean those passing shots that the pusher hit were pathetic. If you watch the video you will see that the pusher hit a "passing" shot to his opponents backhand and the dude just lost his balance. The pusher simply pushed a ball to his opponents forehand before the dude could comfotably regain his balance.

Don't get me wrong this old guy is a pusher! His style is legitimate...and I guess you do have a point. Pushers can end points provided you are way out of position. If you approach the net then you have to be prepared to put the ball away.

The "Hitter" used the wrong strategy on this particular brand of pusher. The old guy is a pusher but hardly a masterful one. The really good pushers are usually ex soccer players who just got into tennis. They push the ball back and can run down anything. The "hitter" in this video should have hit a dropper to the oold man. Even if somehow the old man got to the dropper it would be a breeze to pass him because pushers cannot volley as they can only Push. Secondly even if the old man got to the dropper and hit a winner on the volley he would be out of breath....keep doing this to the old man on red clay in the hot sun and he will not last a set. In fact i would even throw some lobs up while he was at the net....make him swing hard and make an error ...remember he can only push!