PDA

View Full Version : Head Games

marcl65
04-02-2007, 04:54 PM
The other day, my partner came unglued by one of our opponents. This guy will totally mess with your head if you let him. For instance, when my partner would fault on his serve, the guy would say, "Thanks!" or "One down, one to go" or some other kind of crap. And if he'd doublefault, "Oh, thank you for the gift!" When he did it to me, I'd just smile or laugh, but my partner just got infruiated and tried serving harder or smashing the ball at the other guy. Unfortunately, he's not the type whose game improves when he's mad. And then, to add insult to injury, the pest would call some balls out that were obviously in. Whether intentional or not, this drove my partner even crazier.

I tried to calm him down but he just got snippy with me. By the end of the match, he'd mentally given up. He just wanted off the court. I've played with a couple of people that let their opponents get into their head but haven't had any luck in reversing their "mad". It just snowballs. I don't know if these kind of guys can change or if they're just wired that way. :confused:

10sfreak
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Hahaha! I've got a guy on the team I captain who just gets absolutely "tore up!" when the opponents make a bad line call or two (or if my player THINKS he did - sometimes my player is dead wrong, but there's no convincing him of it!), and his play just goes to absolute schiaaatt! It's kinda funny to watch...

Caswell
04-04-2007, 06:07 AM
For instance, when my partner would fault on his serve, the guy would say, "Thanks!" or "One down, one to go" or some other kind of crap. And if he'd doublefault, "Oh, thank you for the gift!"

I'm pretty calm on court, but I would've walked off on that match.

Tennis is recreation to me. Having to listen to an adult talk trash like he's a teenager on XBox Live isn't my idea of fun.

tennismike33
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty calm on court, but I would've walked off on that match.

Tennis is recreation to me. Having to listen to an adult talk trash like he's a teenager on XBox Live isn't my idea of fun.

Talking that kind of trash is a little extreme, and if you ask them to be quiet it will get worse!!!

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIGJAM, DON'T BRING THAT WEAK STUFF TO MY COURT.

I guess that could be considered trash talking!!!

marcl65
04-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty calm on court, but I would've walked off on that match.I wouldn't want to leave my partner standing there like that but I can see where you're coming from.

For me, I just joke right back with them to let them know that their crap doesn't bother me. So, when I'd double-fault and he'd say "Thank you!" I'd just reply, "Now you owe me one." I can't say for sure if he eventually gave up his "talk" or I just stopped paying attention to it.

What I found amusing is when the trash talker starts losing, he get's P.O.'d...royally. One time, it was really tempting to start trashing him back when he and his partner got down but I was able to hold it back mainly because I'm friends with his partner.

migjam
04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MIGJAM, DON'T BRING THAT WEAK STUFF TO MY COURT.

I guess that could be considered trash talking!!!

Come on Mike, where are you??? why didn't you get to that ball?? Why are you breathing hard?

BigJEFF
04-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Just Tell them to shut up

tarheelbornjohn
04-05-2007, 08:07 AM
You really have to address these things straight up like an adult. A little head games is one thing, but making the whole playing experience for your opponent poor is just bad sportsmanship. As the one that was not being so upset by it, I would go to the guy on a change over and nicely let him know that what he was doing and saying has gone far enough and it was starting to get your partner upset and that I was sure You (the one doing the smack talking) are not trying to be unsportsmanlike or cross an etiquette boundary. Then ask him to tone it down a bit please.

In most cases, this works well, as most people that do this are not realizing how far or how other people are taking it. They do this with friends and the friends understand and don't get upset about it. There are a few that are really trying to use such acts that cross the sportsmanship line as a tool to win.

If he persisted, or in fact got worse in response to your kind explanation of how your partner was acting then with those very very few you have to address it in some way. In the most extreme, you have to know your rules. Remember, double bounces and balls hitting you are YOUR call. Wait for a ball that you can pop up right at the net, and then let your team mate come in and smash it at him (but don’t hit him with it). When they say you touched it, point out that it is your call not theirs and that you did not touch it, but thank him for the "gift" of the sitter. Then ask him if he wants to play that way or have a good fun game.

tennismike33
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Come on Mike, where are you??? why didn't you get to that ball?? Why are you breathing hard?

You need to do better than this, if we were to take a vote, this would not be looked upon as trash talking.

C'MON MIGJAM!!!!! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!

migjam
04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
You need to do better than this, if we were to take a vote, this would not be looked upon as trash talking.

C'MON MIGJAM!!!!! GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!

How bout this....

C'MON MIKE, my son can hit a better shot than that.

Is that good trash talking?

Ronaldo
04-05-2007, 08:21 PM
The other day, my partner came unglued by one of our opponents. This guy will totally mess with your head if you let him. For instance, when my partner would fault on his serve, the guy would say, "Thanks!" or "One down, one to go" or some other kind of crap. And if he'd doublefault, "Oh, thank you for the gift!" When he did it to me, I'd just smile or laugh, but my partner just got infruiated and tried serving harder or smashing the ball at the other guy. Unfortunately, he's not the type whose game improves when he's mad. And then, to add insult to injury, the pest would call some balls out that were obviously in. Whether intentional or not, this drove my partner even crazier.

I tried to calm him down but he just got snippy with me. By the end of the match, he'd mentally given up. He just wanted off the court. I've played with a couple of people that let their opponents get into their head but haven't had any luck in reversing their "mad". It just snowballs. I don't know if these kind of guys can change or if they're just wired that way. :confused:

Send a hard, high one past his head next time. Next one is in his ear or low and inside. That should shut him up. If not, tis the season, crucify him and his partner.

tennismike33
04-06-2007, 08:30 AM
How bout this....

C'MON MIKE, my son can hit a better shot than that.

Is that good trash talking?

My son is better than your son!!!! Get a GRIP DUDE!!!

migjam
04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
My son is better than your son!!!! Get a GRIP DUDE!!!

But my son is better than YOU!

tennismike33
04-07-2007, 01:30 PM
But my son is better than YOU!

NOW YOU ARE TALKING BIG TRASH!!!!

Raiden.Kaminari
04-13-2007, 12:18 AM
You really have to address these things straight up like an adult. A little head games is one thing, but making the whole playing experience for your opponent poor is just bad sportsmanship. As the one that was not being so upset by it, I would go to the guy on a change over and nicely let him know that what he was doing and saying has gone far enough and it was starting to get your partner upset and that I was sure You (the one doing the smack talking) are not trying to be unsportsmanlike or cross an etiquette boundary. Then ask him to tone it down a bit please.

In most cases, this works well, as most people that do this are not realizing how far or how other people are taking it. They do this with friends and the friends understand and don't get upset about it. There are a few that are really trying to use such acts that cross the sportsmanship line as a tool to win.

If he persisted, or in fact got worse in response to your kind explanation of how your partner was acting then with those very very few you have to address it in some way. In the most extreme, you have to know your rules. Remember, double bounces and balls hitting you are YOUR call. Wait for a ball that you can pop up right at the net, and then let your team mate come in and smash it at him (but donít hit him with it). When they say you touched it, point out that it is your call not theirs and that you did not touch it, but thank him for the "gift" of the sitter. Then ask him if he wants to play that way or have a good fun game.

Couldn't agree more :)

penpal
04-13-2007, 06:45 AM
You cannot control the actions of others, only your own. In this case, it's not up to you to "fix" this problem by talking to either your partner or the opponent.

During a match like this, where your partner has lost control, just continue to lead by example by making your best effort. If your partner wants to ***** and moan about the opponent and is looking to you for support, don't give him any. Continue to react to the opponent any way you normally would.

After the match you have a decision to make as to whether or not you want to continue with this person as your partner. Personally, if he tends to react like this I would elect not to play with him again.

I'd like to think I would let him know why I'm not going to play with him, as I think it would be for his own benefit, but in reality I'd probably make up some excuse.