PDA

View Full Version : Questions about serving

Ryan in Saratoga
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi, i have been using a very slow forehand grip to serve since i started to get back into the swing just to get the ball into play. This weekend i started again using my spin serve(the serve i should be using). I have went by myself about 3 times and i would say i am about 50% on first serve and about 65%-70% on my second. I have a match tommorow if it does rain and my question is, should i use my slower serve with the forehand grip or should i go for the spin serve.

Also about 75% of the balls that dont go in go long. Does that mean i am not bending my knees enough when i come up on the ball? thanks.
And i was serving about 100 serves each time i went out and i was a little sore after, is this ok? Or does it mean i am serving wrong? I was kind of sore in my shoulder.

fgs
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
ryan,
if you have a match, use the serve you have most confidence in. there will be enough time to practice after the match in order to gain confidence in your "new" serve. with the forehand grip it's quite likely you serve long due to the fact that you'll hit the ball with a rather open stringbed getting below the ball. the knees = leg drive, will only help you with your kick serve.
100 serves is quite a lot. unless your a pro and physically trained accordingly, you should not do as many serves in one session! if you really feel the need to practice daily your serve, don't go above 50-60 hits of first and seconds combined.

TennisNinja
04-02-2007, 06:58 PM
It's possible that you're not snapping your wrist enough when you make contact with the ball, and this might be why most of your balls are going long. You might also be hitting the ball too low. But for your match, just use the serve you have most confidence in at the beginning, and if you have a huge lead, you could try the spin serve, or if your oppenent is crushing you, add it in to mix it up a bit. Good luck!

Freedom
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
First of all, matches are not practice. Stick to what you know.

That being said, I would work hard on changing your grip from a forehand (Eastern, Semi-western?) to a Continental grip. It feels really awkward at first, but keep practicing with it, and you'll get the hang of it.

As for the second serve, I am a strong believer in the idea that you can only serve as well as your second serve. Anyone can pound away on a first serve, but it's really obvious who's practiced when you look at second serves. As you continue to improve, tapping the second serve into play just doesn't work. I would start looking into developing spin on your serves. Start with slice. Then practice topspin serves, then you can incorporate the two into a kick serve. Also, mastering these different types of serve gives you more options on your first serve, to keep your opponent off balance.

ibringtheHEAT
04-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Just keep practicing, and agreed matches aren't practice, stick to what you know.

Good Luck to you.

Maybe try some formal coaching if you are really that worried about your serves.