PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Men's Opens

35ft6
04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Anybody seen Lester Cook play? What about Noah Newman?

GRANITECHIEF
04-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I've seen Newman play a little bit and have seen Cook's results in the Futures. They are both awesome. They'll probably be playing The Ojai later this month.

Why? Are you gonna play with one or both of them.

Rob_C
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
From the results I've seen, it looks like Newman kinda has Cook's #. The last few times they've played, Newman has won, despite Cook being out on the tour full time and being ranked in the 6-700s, or whatever he's ranked.

35ft6
04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I've seen Newman play a little bit and have seen Cook's results in the Futures. They are both awesome. They'll probably be playing The Ojai later this month.

Why? Are you gonna play with one or both of them. I would be happy to win a game off them. Maybe I'll finally check out the Ojai this year, see all the Open players I've been tracking for the past 3 years.

Think I could have cracked the top 90 or 100 of the seeding list 5 years ago, but not sure about now. Even the 100th ranked guy is looking solid. Need to lose weight.

35ft6
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
From the results I've seen, it looks like Newman kinda has Cook's #. The last few times they've played, Newman has won, despite Cook being out on the tour full time and being ranked in the 6-700s, or whatever he's ranked. Currently 382.

This thread isn't just about them though. Just want a convenient place/excuse for So Cal open gossip. Played with a board member last week, we talked for about an hour afterwards exchanging stories about players we've heard of.

J011yroger
04-03-2007, 05:36 PM
How come the national rankings are not dominated by Socal/Florida players?

J

35ft6
04-03-2007, 05:48 PM
How come the national rankings are not dominated by Socal/Florida players?

J I would still think that overall each state's players represent well over 1/50th of the people on that list.

Looking at the list, it's tough to know which states to assign a player. Like Roddick was born in Nebraska, but seems to identify himself with Texas, but I'm pretty sure he grew up playing mostly in Florida.

J011yroger
04-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I was talking more about the age group and open ranking lists, not so much the pro list posted in the other thread.

J

35ft6
04-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I was talking more about the age group and open ranking lists, not so much the pro list posted in the other thread.

J In the Boys 18's, out of the top 50 players, 23 are from Florida or California. That seems pretty dominant to me. Same with boys 16's, 23 players. (taken from final 2006 rankings) "Only" 15 in boys 14's.

That might be the truest indicators, because after high school and college, people are more likely to move away from their home state.

Couldn't find a men's national open ranking list. I know in So Cal, a lot, or at least many, of guys are from different parts of the country if not from different countries.

dukemunson
04-03-2007, 08:01 PM
when your in the juniors everyone plays the nationals, thus you see Florida and SoCal dominating with Texas and Georgia usually putting up strong contingents as well (with of course a good player or two each from the rest of the sections). Once your passed the juniors though, if your still playing it's either in college, in futures (or beyond) or open tournaments on the weekends. No doubt Florida and SoCal still have the best Open tournaments and players its just they dont travel to tournaments out of there section any more...why should a SoCal guy travel when every weekend theres a money tournament with $1500 plus to the winner? Newman has a weird game...he'll beat more established players then get killed by guys who can take advantage of his serve.

35ft6
04-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Newman has a weird game...he'll beat more established players then get killed by guys who can take advantage of his serve. I heard he hits really flat and that he was taught by Lansdorp. But how is it weird? Wondering cuz I saw him once and he looked like the total opposite of what you would think a top tennis player would look like. Short, a little belly, and lethargic, like he couldn't wait to smoke a bowl and watch Spongebob.

dukemunson
04-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Perhaps weird is the wrong word, he's a guy you watch or play that you dont think is very good but comes up with solid wins consistently. I certainly wouldnt see him beating cook now though...cook is hitting the ball really well...

dukemunson
04-03-2007, 11:54 PM
A lot of the good SoCal players blaze...you'd be amazed. Most would probably opt for adult swim though over spongebob

mellofelow
04-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Short, a little belly, and lethargic, like he couldn't wait to smoke a bowl and watch Spongebob.
It's been years since a group of us used to hit at a park around Melrose area. Noah was a junior then, 16 I believe but pretty tall already. He's gotta be at least 6 ft. Kevin Kim showed up once in a while also.

dukemunson
04-04-2007, 12:46 AM
He's at best (in a Serena 135lbs kind of way) 5'10".

GRANITECHIEF
04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Currently 382.

This thread isn't just about them though. Just want a convenient place/excuse for So Cal open gossip. Played with a board member last week, we talked for about an hour afterwards exchanging stories about players we've heard of.

Played a member eh! Which one, what was the score, and how did the match go?

GRANITECHIEF
04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
I think this is the next So Cal Open money tournament. $500 for the winner, plus a bonus if the winner also wins the dubs.

Its at Cabrillo Racket Club in Somis (Camarillo, where the Bryan's are from), and will have a very tough draw, including SoCal top teners.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Players.aspx?T=43865&L=E&E=5

J011yroger
04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
WOW not even a 16 man draw yet for a money event? That seems kind of lame...Is that typical out there? Sometimes we get lame draws here, especially in the cold months, but I figured there would be many more players out there.

J

GRANITECHIEF
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Most likely it will fill up to a full 32 or partial 64.

dukemunson
04-04-2007, 04:03 PM
$500 is a bit weak to have to make the commute from LA...gotta get into the $1000 range to get the good players

J011yroger
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Bah, I drove to new jersey 4.5 hours in an ice storm to a tournament I was the #2 seed at only to lose in the first round. Get stuck in the parking lot after my match, and drive 5 hours home. My back was totally locked up after the ride there, and I had tears in my eyes by the time I got home. Due to a series of unfortunate events I got about 10 hours sleep in the three days leading up to the tournament. I spent the whole next day in bed. It aint about money, it is about competition.

J

dukemunson
04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
notice I said good players...guys with a few points in the world rankings. Link started with Cook and Newman, these guys aren't showing up for the competition no matter how much they love tennis...the tournament either has to have money or ATP points...

J011yroger
04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
lol, I know what you meant. Just being silly.

J

dukemunson
04-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I did appreciate the effort you made though...I too once drove 4 hours to an open tournament as the high seed, started cramping in the first set and drove home not only my $42 entry fee poorer but my leg a spastic mess from the cramped confines of my brothers celica. Great sport...it will drive you nuts (and from time to time to a tall Heineken) but you gotta love it...

35ft6
04-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Played a member eh! Which one, what was the score, and how did the match go? We didn't play a match. Onehandbh. He's only been playing about once a week, and I've played about 7 times since July, so it's not the greatest tennis in the world. Just got another job with crazy hours so plans must be put on hold, but I do want to try to get into shape and play competitively again before my legs blow up.

Seriously, lets hit though. I'll even play a match if you want. I'm sure after two or three more outings, my timing will start coming back.

35ft6
04-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Bah, I drove to new jersey 4.5 hours in an ice storm to a tournament I was the #2 seed at only to lose in the first round. Get stuck in the parking lot after my match, and drive 5 hours home. My back was totally locked up after the ride there, and I had tears in my eyes by the time I got home. Due to a series of unfortunate events I got about 10 hours sleep in the three days leading up to the tournament. I spent the whole next day in bed. It aint about money, it is about competition.

J That's hardcore. I wish I could start clapping, slowly, and everybody here could join in until we're cheering our ashes off. :-D Man, when I'm really into tennis, I'm a nut too. Best days of my life were spent on the tennis court, drinking Slurpies for lunch.

35ft6
04-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Perhaps weird is the wrong word, he's a guy you watch or play that you dont think is very good but comes up with solid wins consistently. I certainly wouldnt see him beating cook now though...cook is hitting the ball really well... So he hits a relatively puny ball?

GraniteC, do you have an Open ranking?

Fedace
04-05-2007, 06:33 AM
So he hits a relatively puny ball?

Granite thinks way Muller is playing lately he can take on Blake in a match. and he may have a point. Last year Sam Querry took on somebody i never heard in the finals :confused: and lost. who was that guy ? and what became of him?

GRANITECHIEF
04-05-2007, 08:50 AM
So he hits a relatively puny ball?

Yeah, i have one, a crappy one. 280. That's what happens when you only play a few tournaments a year. The funny thing is is that there are guys around 150 that i know i can beat. But with the family, new baby, full time job, focussing on my boys tennis, it hard to play a bunch of tournaments.

Definitely up for that hit as soon as logistics allow.

GRANITECHIEF
04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Granite thinks way Muller is playing lately he can take on Blake in a match. and he may have a point. Last year Sam Querry took on somebody i never heard in the finals :confused: and lost. who was that guy ? and what became of him?

Blake really picked it up after the first set, unfortunately he put it down again in the tiebreak. Whats up with the inability of the score keepers to show the TB score. BTW, the link to the livecams is awesome.

Fedace
04-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Blake really picked it up after the first set, unfortunately he put it down again in the tiebreak. Whats up with the inability of the score keepers to show the TB score. BTW, the link to the livecams is awesome.

Good new for you Granite, Stanford is playing Washington huskies this saturday and they have even better webcam and they have Sounds too. you can watch your homeboy muller live with sounds. CMON STANFORD..:D

onehandbh
04-05-2007, 09:49 AM
We didn't play a match. Onehandbh. He's only been playing about once a week, and I've played about 7 times since July, so it's not the greatest tennis in the world. Just got another job with crazy hours so plans must be put on hold, but I do want to try to get into shape and play competitively again before my legs blow up.

Seriously, lets hit though. I'll even play a match if you want. I'm sure after two or three more outings, my timing will start coming back.

Yeah, neither of us are playing often enough. The most I ever play in a
week is twice, but usually only once.

35ft6,
Even in your rusty state, it's pretty obvious though that you have
played at a high level before and have good strokes and understanding of
point construction, etc. I'd say that even in your current state, you'd
probably still take out 90% of 4.5's easily and probably win a
a 4.5 tournament and do okay in a 5.5 tournament - provided you don't
get too tired and/or cramp up.

onehandbh
04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Yeah, i have one, a crappy one. 280. That's what happens when you only play a few tournaments a year. The funny thing is is that there are guys around 150 that i know i can beat. But with the family, new baby, full time job, focussing on my boys tennis, it hard to play a bunch of tournaments.

Definitely up for that hit as soon as logistics allow.

Playing lots of tournaments definitely makes a difference. Getting to the
2nd round in 10 tournaments probably affects your ranking more than
getting to the semi's of one (assuming it isn't Ojai).

I'm really impressed that you are able to squeeze in so many practice
matches. No family or kids yet and I still can barely find time. You must be the master of time efficiency/management.

GRANITECHIEF
04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Playing lots of tournaments definitely makes a difference. Getting to the
2nd round in 10 tournaments probably affects your ranking more than
getting to the semi's of one (assuming it isn't Ojai).

I'm really impressed that you are able to squeeze in so many practice
matches. No family or kids yet and I still can barely find time. You must be the master of time efficiency/management.

Some of the credit for that goes to my wife for saying, "yeah sure, you can play, i'll hold down the fort". Also, I can play when i schedule a practice match for my boy at the same time. Gotta figure out all the tricks to be able to try to play even close to as often as i like to.

35ft6
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
35ft6, I'd say that even in your current state, you'd probably still take out 90% of 4.5's easily... If I lost to a 4.5, I'd kill myself. Unless it's one of those dastardly 6.0 4.5's. I'm usually hitting okay within a month or two, no longer, no matter how long of a layoff I take. This is really probably one of the longer ones.

The biggest danger of such a long downtime is not being rusty, which you know will come off eventually so no worries, but coming back and having some weird new addition to your stroke you never had before. I'm doing something weird on my forehand and I think I know what I'm doing wrong, but I wasn't able to get rid of it the other night.

goober
04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
You are guys are crazy driving 4-4.5 hours just for a tournament. The most I ever drove was 2.5 hours, but the tournament just happened to be where I was going to be that weekend or I would have never entered it.

J011yroger
04-05-2007, 07:40 PM
That's hardcore. I wish I could start clapping, slowly, and everybody here could join in until we're cheering our ashes off. :-D Man, when I'm really into tennis, I'm a nut too. Best days of my life were spent on the tennis court, drinking Slurpies for lunch.

Maybe you could applaud if I cut a swath through the draw and took home some hardware, but going out in the first round to a glorified 4.5 isn't noteworthy. It just proves that I am young and stupid.

J

onehandbh
04-05-2007, 09:04 PM
If I lost to a 4.5, I'd kill myself. Unless it's one of those dastardly 6.0 4.5's. I'm usually hitting okay within a month or two, no longer, no matter how long of a layoff I take. This is really probably one of the longer ones.

The biggest danger of such a long downtime is not being rusty, which you know will come off eventually so no worries, but coming back and having some weird new addition to your stroke you never had before. I'm doing something weird on my forehand and I think I know what I'm doing wrong, but I wasn't able to get rid of it the other night.

ha ha, didn't mean that you'd lose to the other 10%, just that you'd
probably bagel or breadstick 90% and the rest might get a few games
to make it more interesting. Of course I was referring to actual 4.5
guys and the guys winning the 4.5 tournaments, not the league
sandbaggers. You'd still beat some of the 5.5 tournament guys I
know in straight sets I think right now.

35ft6
04-06-2007, 04:42 AM
ha ha, didn't mean that you'd lose to the other 10% Oooh. I feel so shaky out there you had me wondering. Haha.

Well, people are probably wondering about your game so what I notice is that OnehandBH's groundstrokes are nice, and I'm sure they were much more consistent before, but I get the feeling they were never designed to grind out points -- more aggressive than that. Your backhand is actually, I think, you're more penetrating shot, really heavy when you connect. And if he's a serve and volleyer to boot -- I think he said he served and volleyed on these boards -- it would be very interesting to see him play when he's at 90% or higher. In form, 5.0 at least.

But most importantly, it's great to hit with somebody who can play AND likes to talk about tennis. Amazingly, most guys I know don't really follow the game, and just want to hit "to get a good sweat going."

GraniteChief, we get one more So Cal guy, we can get a game of doubles going. Let's make this happen!

35ft6
04-06-2007, 04:47 AM
It just proves that I am young and stupid.

J It's still cool. If I were rich, I'd love to get into great shape, and drive around the country playing local tournaments. Of course, Jessica Biel would come along to wash my clothes.

onehandbh
04-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Oooh. I feel so shaky out there you had me wondering. Haha.

Well, people are probably wondering about your game so what I notice is that OnehandBH's groundstrokes are nice, and I'm sure they were much more consistent before, but I get the feeling they were never designed to grind out points -- more aggressive than that. Your backhand is actually, I think, you're more penetrating shot, really heavy when you connect. And if he's a serve and volleyer to boot -- I think he said he served and volleyed on these boards -- it would be very interesting to see him play when he's at 90% or higher. In form, 5.0 at least.

But most importantly, it's great to hit with somebody who can play AND likes to talk about tennis. Amazingly, most guys I know don't really follow the game, and just want to hit "to get a good sweat going."

GraniteChief, we get one more So Cal guy, we can get a game of doubles going. Let's make this happen!

Yeah, I've never been one to hang back at the baseline and outlast
opponents. Usually just looking to find an opening to get to the net, where
I can hit volleys & overheads. Of course how often I can S&V depends
on how my serve is going.

It's fun talking about the game. One of
the things I like about tennis is that there are so many ways to win a
point/game/match and construct a point, and it allows for all kinds of
styles of play. For example, how the heck can a 5'5" guy like Rochus
be competitive against someone like Safin or someone that on paper
has better groundstrokes, is faster, AND has a better serve?

Some doubles with the Chief sounds good.

J011yroger
04-06-2007, 02:51 PM
It's still cool. If I were rich, I'd love to get into great shape, and drive around the country playing local tournaments. Of course, Jessica Biel would come along to wash my clothes.

I just wanna play all four Cat I nationals in a year, Jessica Biel can wait. Definately gonna do Indoor and Grass this year. I am on the fence about Clay. And Hardcourts are out for this year. Gonna try like heck to play all 4 next year.

J

GRANITECHIEF
04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I've never been one to hang back at the baseline and outlast
opponents. Usually just looking to find an opening to get to the net, where
I can hit volleys & overheads. Of course how often I can S&V depends
on how my serve is going.

Some doubles with the Chief sounds good.

Hey guys, i made it back from Tahoe, didn't get skunked on snowboarding this year after all. Friday was 60+ degrees and super slushy, in a good way. Snowboarding in mashed potatoes is actually pretty fun.

Yeah, i'd be down for some dubs and i have a couple buddies in mind that might want to join in. Tough to find the time though, most likely it would be when i bring my boy down to the area for a tournament.

So the dude that i lost to in the last couple tournamants, Samuel Webster, played and lost in the first round of a Challenger qually in Santa Clarita. I assume he got into it by winning a wildcard tourney, although the final result isn't shown. Interesting list of SoCalOpen players here, including Newman and Jung.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=57444&E=3&D=M&S=F

Isn't that in your neck of the woods 35ft6 and onehandbh. It looks like a good draw and would be fun to check out.

Here is the qualy draw: http://www.paseochallenger.com/Quali.pdf

Here is the main draw: http://www.paseochallenger.com/x.pdf

Also, as i predicted the draw for the Cabrillo Open filled up quite a bit, wish i could've given that one a shot but my newborn said no.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Players.aspx?T=43865&L=E&E=5

onehandbh
04-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Definitely going to try and make it to see some matches if I have time.
It's a small venue so often you can sit pretty much courtside in the
earlier rounds.

Hey guys, i made it back from Tahoe, didn't get skunked on snowboarding this year after all. Friday was 60+ degrees and super slushy, in a good way. Snowboarding in mashed potatoes is actually pretty fun.

Yeah, i'd be down for some dubs and i have a couple buddies in mind that might want to join in. Tough to find the time though, most likely it would be when i bring my boy down to the area for a tournament.

So the dude that i lost to in the last couple tournamants, Samuel Webster, played and lost in the first round of a Challenger qually in Santa Clarita. I assume he got into it by winning a wildcard tourney, although the final result isn't shown. Interesting list of SoCalOpen players here, including Newman and Jung.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=57444&E=3&D=M&S=F

Isn't that in your neck of the woods 35ft6 and onehandbh. It looks like a good draw and would be fun to check out.

Here is the qualy draw: http://www.paseochallenger.com/Quali.pdf

Here is the main draw: http://www.paseochallenger.com/x.pdf

Also, as i predicted the draw for the Cabrillo Open filled up quite a bit, wish i could've given that one a shot but my newborn said no.

jamauss
04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
So Chief - you play at the Pro level then? 6.0 or so?

GRANITECHIEF
04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I manage to hit a few good shots but not 6.0. Maybe 5.5 in my best days, but now I just work full time and tend to the family so probably more like 5.0, which i'm kinda proud of condsidering that i'm basically self taught and didn't even start till i was 24.

How bout you jamauss?

jamauss
04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I didn't start playing until about mid-way through high school. Played for about a year after I graduated and then didn't play for about 5 or 6 years. I picked it back up about a year and a half ago and play consistent 4.0 tennis...4.5 on my good days. I'm self-taught also...never had a lesson in my life. I'm planning on changing that soon though, I'd like to get some professional direction on improving my 1HBH.

I'm 26 now and I would like to get to the 5.0-5.5 level, maybe play in some regional Open Tournaments someday.

GRANITECHIEF
04-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Following up, Alex Bogdanovich wins the Valencia Challenger. Levy/Warburg win the dubs.

Calle Hansen wins the Cabrillo Open w/o dropping a set. And Andre Feliz/Dan Ho win the dubs. Those guys are still high school i think, very tough players.

Good stuff. Whats next?

LN_Dad
04-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I saw both Lester Cook and his older brother Jason play. Lester is a small guy around 5'8" or so but very quick around the court with a very smooth Fed-like 1hbh. However, he's prone to injury and I once saw a match where the quit in the second set against Warburg because of a pulled hamstring or something. He's playing Ojai so you'll get to see him there.

JohnMatrix
04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Anybody seen Lester Cook play? What about Noah Newman?

I've seen Newman play on a few occasions. Topspin drive off both wings, solid performer. Nothing spectacular for his wins. Hits it deep and is solid. Plays smart moves you around.

You ever seen Zybnek Mlynarik play? Nothing what I expected....
Infact he beat Querrey at Ojai last year which is crazy because now Querrey is top 100!

P.S. what part of So Cal are you in 35ft6? Are you open level? Maybe you would like to play a match?

GRANITECHIEF
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Ojai Draws are up:

Here's the Qual draw:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43874&E=1

There are a ton of tough players in here. I see a double bagel on draw line 55-56.

And The Open Draw:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43874&E=13

Looks like Brian Wilson and Lester Cook are the #1 and #2 seeds. Good stuff!

marc
04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
oooh that Ojai qualy draw looks like fun!
I see a bunch of my friends playing, this is bringing back memories.
I see former players from Miami, Notre Dame, SDSU, Fresno State, UCSB...
Plus some junior studs, Sundling, Klahn, Lucien...there will be some interesting matches.

Open draw is kinda top heavy with BMW and Borvanov...the lower seeds are not too impressive...I think you will see some guys coming out of qualis that will upset some guys first round...

and don't let the Open rankings fool you... there are SO many good players in SoCal and i would say probably 1/2 of them bother playing open tournaments. simply put there is not enough money in enough tournaments for these guys to make the commitment to play enough events to get a ranking. there are plenty of "special" events that are not sanctioned where guys can come out and play for a few thousand bucks...these are worthwhile.
and plus a lot of these guys teach and after being on court all week who wants to play a tournament for just a trophy? show me the $$.

soyizgood
04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
We didn't play a match. Onehandbh. He's only been playing about once a week, and I've played about 7 times since July, so it's not the greatest tennis in the world. Just got another job with crazy hours so plans must be put on hold, but I do want to try to get into shape and play competitively again before my legs blow up.

Where in SoCal are you? I'm in West LA.

35ft6
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
P.S. what part of So Cal are you in 35ft6? Are you open level? Maybe you would like to play a match? Depends what you mean by Open level. At my absolute best, during my senior year of college, I was probably about 90 on the seeding list quality good. But even back then I could have lost a few pounds. Right now I'm just starting to play, once a week at most, but I've only played about 7 times since July. I'm playing with strings I strung in June. If that gives you any idea.

With that said, I would still play a match.Where in SoCal are you? I'm in West LA. I'm in Hollywood. OnehandBH is nearby, also. Doubles anybody?

JohnMatrix
04-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Depends what you mean by Open level. At my absolute best, during my senior year of college, I was probably about 90 on the seeding list quality good. But even back then I could have lost a few pounds. Right now I'm just starting to play, once a week at most, but I've only played about 7 times since July. I'm playing with strings I strung in June. If that gives you any idea.

With that said, I would still play a match. I'm in Hollywood. OnehandBH is nearby, also. Doubles anybody?

Cool, Hollywood is not TOO far, but it is far. :)

I would be down for some doubles, email me sometime: bankscheesecake@yahoo.com

emcee143
04-24-2007, 02:27 AM
I wanna play too :(. I hit twice a week and I workout the other days. No one to play here where I live. Lets say this about me, I entered a 4.5 tournament, cuz I didnt know where to put myself.. and midway through I was hitting tweeners for the hell of it (The guy was mad and even told me I was going to be bored in 4.5). So yea, if anyone wants to hit and is near 805/818 area (Northridge, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura). If any of those sound familiar and close to you, let me know :). fr0d0star@hotmail.com

Help out this 20 year old looking for practice .

35ft6
04-24-2007, 02:38 AM
We should have a TW meetup at the Ojai tournament. I'm down to go watch.

Fedace
04-24-2007, 02:47 AM
This weekend Men's singles champion in Ojai will be matt bruch and men's doubles champion will be Bruch-Muller. and Men's open singles champion will be Brian Wilson. My bold predictions. Ben Kloeffell is once again opting not to play the Pac-10 singles this year to concentrate on NCAA

Fedace
04-24-2007, 02:48 AM

Lets meet up and watch the stanford dominate the Pac 10 championships. ;)

GRANITECHIEF
04-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I wanna play too :(. I hit twice a week and I workout the other days. No one to play here where I live. Lets say this about me, I entered a 4.5 tournament, cuz I didnt know where to put myself.. and midway through I was hitting tweeners for the hell of it (The guy was mad and even told me I was going to be bored in 4.5). So yea, if anyone wants to hit and is near 805/818 area (Northridge, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, Agoura). If any of those sound familiar and close to you, let me know :). fr0d0star@hotmail.com

Help out this 20 year old looking for practice .

Alright, the SoCal players coming out of the woodwork. Now we have:
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

OK, now we work on setting up some hitting sessions and also form a California Davis Cup style team to take on Drakulie and the boys in Florida!!

GRANITECHIEF
04-24-2007, 08:47 AM

I'd be totally up for that but were leaving on Friday for a junior Nationals tourney in Vegas. Maybe arrange a meetup for some other time.

J011yroger
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

OK, now we work on setting up some hitting sessions and also form a California Davis Cup style team to take on Drakulie and the boys in Florida!!

Uh oh, I might have to throw in with my East Coast peeps to push you Kalefurnians off into the Pacific!

J

Shaolin
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

Im down for this.

GRANITECHIEF
04-24-2007, 03:29 PM
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Shaolin
6. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

Updated adding Shaolin!

drakulie
04-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the link GraniteChief. If you guys do get together, make sure you post some pics!

GRANITECHIEF
04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the link GraniteChief. If you guys do get together, make sure you post some pics!

Absolutely, hopefully even some vids.

Fedace
04-24-2007, 04:02 PM

why not add blake muller to the list.?

GRANITECHIEF
04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
why not add blake muller to the list.?

Because, so far the list is comprised of TT-Warehouse members, and as far as i know, BM isn't a member.

mellofelow
04-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh yeah... I'm game. I live in San Gab valley but shouldn't be to hard to get around.

drakulie
04-24-2007, 04:18 PM

Sounds great! Wish I could meet up with you guys. I'm surprised more people haven't gotten together from the boards. I know you were able to meet edberg505. To date, I have met 7 members.

We are going to get together again. I'll make sure to get some vids.

PS: I posted a bunch more photos.

GRANITECHIEF
04-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Sounds great! Wish I could meet up with you guys. I'm surprised more people haven't gotten together from the boards. I know you were able to meet edberg505. To date, I have met 7 members.

We are going to get together again. I'll make sure to get some vids.

PS: I posted a bunch more photos.

Yes and also played Shaolin and EVW (although he's not around much). Vids would be fun cuz then everyone could rate us 2.5's and tell us how bad we would be beaten!!! That is always priceless comedy!!

drakulie
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
^^^^ True. LOL

I actually played in the advanced tourney on Sunday. Got crushed by a 5.5, but I did take every game to deuce, and popped a few aces. Alas, he beat me 5-0. :(

I did manage to beat two 5.0's 4-1, and then went and lost to a 4.5 1-4. WTF???? LOL

I have to get out more. Since switching my job from mornings to night, I haven't played regularly for about 6 months. Now that I have met up with a bunch of these guys, and thankfully a few could play in the morning during the week--I'll get more court time.

dennis10is
04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

I grew up in OC and went to grad school in UCSB, spent 8 glorious years there. Reading these post makes me long for those halcyon days of my youth :) Liberty Park is the perfect place for amateur tennis. Haven't been there is a long time, benches still green, old ladies still serve tea and cookies with white gloves?

Planning to visit So Cal in July, I had planned on catching the LA Open but the AVP at Long Beach is the same weekend and the following week is US Open of Surfing in Huntington. In between, I could make it up to LA and hit.

Granite Chief, I thought about contacting you while I was at Indian Wells, but I didn't have time to hit. I only got to hit a few minutes at the TW demo court at the tourney.

I live on Long Island now. So, JollyR and I beter get started on our North East contingent.

onehandbh
04-24-2007, 06:21 PM
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

To simplify things we could just have SoCal vs. East coasters.

Fedace
04-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Matt Bruch will destroy everyone in the field and defend his pac-10 title

35ft6
04-24-2007, 09:10 PM
1. 35ft6
2. OnehandBH
3. emcee143
4. JohmMatrix
5. Granitechief

Anybody else~?

OK, now we work on setting up some hitting sessions and also form a California Davis Cup style team to take on Drakulie and the boys in Florida!! I might be down for this even if it's in Miami if we can somehow time it with the Ericksson Open. Had a good time in Miami when I was there in 2000. Saw one of the finest butts ever (too bad my girlfriend was with me so I couldn't stare), J Lo and Puffy riding around on mopeds, and had a reasonably good time at the club. Again, ex-gf ruined it.

J011yroger
04-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I live on Long Island now. So, JollyR and I beter get started on our North East contingent.

Damn skippy, there is a thread in the making, East Coast v. West Coast. We will choose up captains, make our linups and fill out the bench.

J

35ft6
04-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Out on bail fresh outta jail, California dreamin
Soon as I stepped on the scene, I'm hearin hoochies screamin
Fiendin for money and alcohol
the life of a west side playa where cowards die and its all ball
Only in Cali where we riot not rally to live and die
In L.A. we wearin Chucks not Ballies (that's right)
Dressed in Locs and khaki suits and ride is what we do
Flossin but have caution we collide with other crews
Famous cause we program worldwide
Let'em recognize from Long Beach to Rosecrans
Bumpin and grindin like a slow jam, it's west side
So you know the row won't bow down to no man
Say what you say
But give me that bomb beat from Dre
Let me serenade the streets of L.A.
From Oakland to Sacktown
The Bay Area and back down
Cali is where they put they mack down
Give me love!

Throw it up y'all, throw it up, Throw it up
Let's show these fools how we do this on that west side
Cause you and I know it's tha best side

yeah, That's riight
west coast, west coast
uh, California Love
California Love It's on like Voltron, homies.

Seriously, this is awfully ambitious, but we could probably get something going eventually.

GRANITECHIEF
04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
So did anybody check out the results of the Ojai Mens open Quallies. Very surprised that Samuel Webster didn't qualify. The double bagel i called on line 56 did happen and even got taken a step further with a successive 60,60. AFeliz is impressive and must be improving rapidly.

The main draw of the opens looks pretty good.

35ft6, are you going to make it down to spectate any?

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=43874

35ft6
04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
35ft6, are you going to make it down to spectate any?

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=43874 Holy cow. Didn't know it was this weekend. I'm going to try to make it. Depends on work, I guess. You going?

GRANITECHIEF
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Holy cow. Didn't know it was this weekend. I'm going to try to make it. Depends on work, I guess. You going?

I'll go if my boy loses early in Vegas, but i'm not counting on it. If i'm somehow able to, it would be nice to meet up. How bout emailing me some contact info.

All Baseline
04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Ojai Draws are up:

Here's the Qual draw:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43874&E=1

There are a ton of tough players in here. I see a double bagel on draw line 55-56.

And The Open Draw:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43874&E=13

Looks like Brian Wilson and Lester Cook are the #1 and #2 seeds. Good stuff!

My friend delivered that pair of bagels!

GRANITECHIEF
04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
My friend delivered that pair of bagels!

Sweet, he's good. Looks like he's got a tough match up in the main draw.

I was right, he lost 6-1,6-4 to T Rettenmayer (sp). Tough second set, judging by the score.

onehandbh
04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I Wonder why Noah Newman isn't playing this year since he made it to the
semis(?) last year.

jamauss
04-26-2007, 01:01 PM
where can you find results of tournaments from previous years - USTA/TennisLink?

35ft6
04-26-2007, 05:24 PM
So did anybody check out the results of the Ojai Mens open Quallies. Very surprised that Samuel Webster didn't qualify. Holy cow. Webster got beat by the 14 year old kid who plays at the park across the street from me. I see he's currently ranked 16 in the nation in Boy's 16's. He's tough, although I've seen Mike Gurman beat up on him once. He's only about 5'7" but moves the ball around well, and he actually plays very smart.

To all the people who think there's no way a 14 yo can be 5.5 and above... All I know is this kid would smoke every 5.5 player I've ever seen.

******_bog@mac.com

That's the mac alias I use on the internet. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to make it, though.

GRANITECHIEF
04-27-2007, 09:24 AM
In Ojai, Mens open, all the seeds moving through except for #8 Briaud, taken out by Rettenmaier, #6 Laporte, taken out by Jason Jung (who i've had the pleasure of being pummeled by before, he wont miss, ever), and #7 Zimmerman, who was taken out by Zerbini, who was taken out by Palmanshofer from Austria.

#2 seed Lester cook cruising on the bottom half with a bagel in both matches, meets the Austrian next.

Is #4 seed Frederick Taino, related to a pro named Eric Taino or is it him? Plays Jung next.

All straight sets wins in the round of 16, interesting.

Yim and #1 seed B Wilson next as well. Sure would like to see some of that.

Fedace
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
In Ojai, Mens open, all the seeds moving through except for #8 Briaud, taken out by Rettenmaier, #6 Laporte, taken out by Jason Jung (who i've had the pleasure of being pummeled by before, he wont miss, ever), and #7 Zimmerman, who was taken out by Zerbini, who was taken out by Palmanshofer from Austria.

#2 seed Lester cook cruising on the bottom half with a bagel in both matches, meets the Austrian next.

Is #4 seed Frederick Taino, related to a pro named Eric Taino or is it him?

All straight sets wins in the round of 16, interesting.

Granite, your buddy lost in the 1st round but his partner, Bruch is in the quarters and has a good looking draw. It looks like he will repeat as champ, and also the bruch and Muller doubles has a decent draw also, they start playing this am. Why don't me and you challenge them to a set of doubles after they celebrate their win on sunday.,???;)

GRANITECHIEF
04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Sounds like fun!! That would be cool if they won!

Fedace
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Sounds like fun!! That would be cool if they won!

It looks like they have a good draw in the doubles, i don't see anyone that can threathen them, unless matt gets tired from singles and isn't 100%, they should go all the way to the finals. Are you in Ojai and watching ? I think you and i can take a few games off these guys at least in double. I have a fairly big serve so i should be able to hold, i hope.;)

Yondan
04-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey guys I'm gonna be heading up to Ojai to watch a bit of the tournament in a few hours, I'll be up there for saturday and sunday. There is a Weil "reunion" or anniversary so I will be there, are you going GRANITECHIEF? I won't be hitting because I just started my off season lifting and I'm just ripped right now. But look for my man Francis to win the junior college tourney, will probably play Fabio Silva in the final.

Also I'll be playing the 5th Annual Emmo Tennis Tournament in San Diego on May 5th as well as the Arthur Ashe Tournament in SD in mid May, anyone playing those?

GRANITECHIEF
04-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Guys, I am going to Las Vegas after work today (and after a match while waiting for traffic to die down) for my boy to compete in the Muterspaw Jr. Nationals, and unfortunately, unless he loses 2 matches on Saturday (which would really suck), i won't be able to make it to see any of the Ojai action.

Fedace, I really doubt that we would be able to set up a match with Brusch/Muller, but it would be quite fun to attempt to get on the board. I have a pretty fair serve too, but they've seen plenty of those lately.

All Baseline
04-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Jung has amazing footwork. I'm really surprised he gets by with that serve, but obviously everything else in his game makes up for it.

GRANITECHIEF
04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Jung has amazing footwork. I'm really surprised he gets by with that serve, but obviously everything else in his game makes up for it.

In deed, however, he didn't quite make up for it against Taino, as he was beaten in 3 sets.

Rettenmaier is the only one of the semifinanlists not in the top 4 seeds. Lester Cook got a pair of popsicle sticks against the Austrian. Wow!!! Cook for the win.

J011yroger
04-27-2007, 03:20 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1407670#post1407670

TT Cup.

East Coast v. West Coast.

J

Fedace
04-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Guys, I am going to Las Vegas after work today (and after a match while waiting for traffic to die down) for my boy to compete in the Muterspaw Jr. Nationals, and unfortunately, unless he loses 2 matches on Saturday (which would really suck), i won't be able to make it to see any of the Ojai action.

Fedace, I really doubt that we would be able to set up a match with Brusch/Muller, but it would be quite fun to attempt to get on the board. I have a pretty fair serve too, but they've seen plenty of those lately.

Good Luck to your boy, hopefully he can take the title and dominate everyone in the draw. And who knows, perhaps he can play for Stanford one day and win the national title for Stanford.:grin:

35ft6
04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Dang, Rettenmaier tore up the number 1 seed. The singles finals should be hardcore.

Fedace
04-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Dang, Rettenmaier tore up the number 1 seed. The singles finals should be hardcore.

If you think that is hard core, what about the Pac-10 singles final between Matt bruch and Alex Slovic from washington. Matt Bruch had been touted as top 50 ATP tour talent. He has a huge forehand and big serve 120's. This should be a great match. Hear it all on radiotennis.com starting at 11am pacific time. I know i will and we will see ya at the NCAA finals as well.;)

35ft6
04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
^ Dude, what is up with you and Matt Bruch? Are you his agent or dad?

Actually played decent today. Felt like I was getting lucky, but a lot of shots were falling in. If I can just hit 3 times a week or more for three weeks or so, I'll be ready to clown some East coast fools. Except for Serveitup911. He no allowed to play.

J011yroger
04-29-2007, 02:49 AM
^^^ Whachoo talkin bout fool? 911 is my number one singles player! Me and him are lookin like a stout 1-2 punch.

J

Fedace
04-29-2007, 03:24 AM
What a day for Stanford, Matt Bruch is in the Finals and is about to win his 2nd Pac-10 championships in a row, and also in the doubles finals as well with Muller. Matt is about to make history by winning both singles and doubles in Pac-10 championships.

35ft6
04-29-2007, 03:49 AM
^^^ Whachoo talkin bout fool? 911 is my number one singles player! Me and him are lookin like a stout 1-2 punch.

J Do you carry around 12 rackets? Was just looking at your sig...

J011yroger
04-29-2007, 04:15 AM
^^^well not when I go grocery shopping and stuff.

J

35ft6
04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
^^^well not when I go grocery shopping and stuff.

J How do you do it? Personally, I feel under-equipped with anything less than 18 freshly strung sticks.

J011yroger
04-29-2007, 03:24 PM
LOL Truthfully for travel to out of state tournaments when I don't have access to stringing 16 would be better. But I do look a little absurd rolling in with two bags for a 2-3 hour hitting session.

J

35ft6
04-29-2007, 04:58 PM
^ Hehe. I guess if I were playing tournaments out of state, more than 3 rackets might be essential. If you drive, you should consider buying a table top stringer. I've even taken it on flights during my college tennis days.

First time I've hit two days in a row in a long time. Felt okay. More consistent. Starting to hit a heavier, deeper ball, not having to resort to flat shots as much.

J011yroger
04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I thought about buying a stringer, but for what it costs me to have them done, vs. how long it would take me to do them, I am better off picking up hours nights and weekends teaching, from a financial standpoint.

Plus I love the way they come out on the Star 4.

And the cost of the racquets is minimal compared to the cost of string. I figured 200-250 stringjobs this year.

Most tournaments I drive to, and there are a few that are right on the verge of stay the night, and drive home and back.

The Nationals are the only ones I would fly to, (A bit anxious to see if they rough me up about carryon for the clay courts later in the month).

Now if only I was any good. :cry:

J

35ft6
04-29-2007, 05:33 PM
I thought about buying a stringer, but for what it costs me to have them done, vs. how long it would take me to do them, I am better off picking up hours nights and weekends teaching, from a financial standpoint.
And the cost of the racquets is minimal compared to the cost of string. I figured 200-250 stringjobs this year.JDude, you need to get a stringer!!! It takes me about 25 minutes to string a racket and that's with 4 knots, if I was using one piece, it would take about 15 to 20 minutes. Places generally charge 10 to 20 dollars for labor, so if a string costs 4 dollars a set, they charge $24 a string job (if they charge $20 for labor). Times 250 stringjobs a year and that's $5000!!! Plus, you can experiment with different strings, tensions, and combinations on the cheap, and you can string rackets on the side for money. I can string while I'm watching TV. After a while, it's automatic.

You're the perfect candidate for a string machine unless you get free string jobs at the club, or they allow you to use their machine for free. I've saved thousands of dollars over the years with my little $120 ATS table top. And when I strung rackets for my teammates they said it felt better than when it was sent out to the "pro" to do it. Nobody is going to care more about your racket than you.

Fedace
04-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Hello everyone, Matt Bruch has proved himself today as the future star of the the ATP tour, i will boldly predict that he will be playing against federer at the US open one day. Now that he has dominated the Pac-10 in both singles and doubles, NCAA is next. What a display of power tennis from Matt bruch today, Alex Slovic didn't have chance, it was as though Slovic was taking a lesson from Matt. and same thing in doubles too. Sky is the limit for Matt Bruch. Future seems bright.

J011yroger
04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Dude, you need to get a stringer!!! It takes me about 25 minutes to string a racket and that's with 4 knots, if I was using one piece, it would take about 15 to 20 minutes. Places generally charge 10 to 20 dollars for labor, so if a string costs 4 dollars a set, they charge $24 a string job (if they charge $20 for labor). Times 250 stringjobs a year and that's $5000!!! Plus, you can experiment with different strings, tensions, and combinations on the cheap, and you can string rackets on the side for money. I can string while I'm watching TV. After a while, it's automatic.

You're the perfect candidate for a string machine unless you get free string jobs at the club, or they allow you to use their machine for free. I've saved thousands of dollars over the years with my little $120 ATS table top. And when I strung rackets for my teammates they said it felt better than when it was sent out to the "pro" to do it. Nobody is going to care more about your racket than you.

Maybe you are right, but I figured I was better off giving lessons for $60/hr, and paying $20/hr for stringing. Because I string so much I get it really cheap, and by the end of the year my ranking should be sufficient to get me on someone's string program which should get it even cheaper. Anyhow, I will see what it costs this year, and buy or not buy in the off season.

J

dr_punk
04-29-2007, 10:13 PM
They're right jo11y, especially for a guy like you who pops BB like gum, its something i'd definitely look into.

Fedace
04-30-2007, 03:15 AM
^ Dude, what is up with you and Matt Bruch? Are you his agent or dad?

Actually played decent today. Felt like I was getting lucky, but a lot of shots were falling in. If I can just hit 3 times a week or more for three weeks or so, I'll be ready to clown some East coast fools. Except for Serveitup911. He no allowed to play.

I am not Matt Bruch's agent or dad, but i do know him and he is one of those hidden gems of college tennis with enough talent to become one of the top players in the ATP tour.:D

AndrewD
04-30-2007, 05:21 AM
Hello everyone, Matt Bruch has proved himself today as the future star of the the ATP tour, i will boldly predict that he will be playing against federer at the US open one day. Now that he has dominated the Pac-10 in both singles and doubles, NCAA is next. What a display of power tennis from Matt bruch today, Alex Slovic didn't have chance, it was as though Slovic was taking a lesson from Matt. and same thing in doubles too. Sky is the limit for Matt Bruch. Future seems bright.

That's a big call mate. The highest rated player Bruch beat was Pierre Mouillon at no.30 but none of the others were rated in the top 50 (Slovic was 87). Going on Bruch's ranking prior to injury, it's very little wonder he won those matches. Of course he deserves credit for the win but I'd be saving the predictions until he's beaten Isner, Devvarman, Levine, Kohlloeffel and Brugues.

35ft6
04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Maybe you are right, but I figured I was better off giving lessons for $60/hr, and paying $20/hr for stringing.You make it sound like you can only do one or the other. If you watch TV at night, you can string then.

goober
04-30-2007, 10:23 AM
nm.

10 char

35ft6
04-30-2007, 06:13 PM
I am not Matt Bruch's agent or dad, but i do know him and he is one of those hidden gems of college tennis with enough talent to become one of the top players in the ATP tour.:DWait, you're not the same guy who was talking about Chris Surapol are you?

goober
04-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Wait, you're not the same guy who was talking about Chris Surapol are you?
yes he is the one and the same. No further comments necessary.

Fedace
04-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Wait, you're not the same guy who was talking about Chris Surapol are you?

OK ok, i may have been little off on Chris there, sorry. but i assure you that i am right on Bruch.:D

marklbucla
05-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Pretty cool seeing Noah Newman around still. I remember when we (UNI High) played his school back when he was at LACES. I also watched him play #6 at UCLA.

I thought he was funny to watch because his warmup pants were always falling off.

Fedace
05-01-2007, 06:54 AM
That's a big call mate. The highest rated player Bruch beat was Pierre Mouillon at no.30 but none of the others were rated in the top 50 (Slovic was 87). Going on Bruch's ranking prior to injury, it's very little wonder he won those matches. Of course he deserves credit for the win but I'd be saving the predictions until he's beaten Isner, Devvarman, Levine, Kohlloeffel and Brugues.

I am right on Bruch, He was one of the top Juniors in the country, he had competed in all the slams, US open, French open and so on and done really well. Only junior that can probably compare is Levine. He was competing with likes of Donald Young and was close to beating many times

GRANITECHIEF
05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
^ First time I've hit two days in a row in a long time. Felt okay. More consistent. Starting to hit a heavier, deeper ball, not having to resort to flat shots as much.

I wish i didn't have to resort to flat shots all the time!! My boy is playing in a junior tourney this weekend, on Sunday, in the Anaheim area at Savana High School. Match at 9:15 am, second at 1 pm. That means that i could probably play at 11 for about 1.5 hours.

How bout it 35ft6 or onehandbh?

J011yroger
05-01-2007, 02:57 PM
^^^ Funny how you guys talk about having to resort to flat shots, and when I feel like I am off I have to resort to more top.

Just goes to show how everyone is different I guess.

J

onehandbh
05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I wish i didn't have to resort to flat shots all the time!! My boy is playing in a junior tourney this weekend, on Sunday, in the Anaheim area at Savana High School. Match at 9:15 am, second at 1 pm. That means that i could probably play at 11 for about 1.5 hours.

I might be able to play. You can reach me via my gmail e-mail alias:
karl
rove
should
be
in
jail
at
g m a i l
dot
com

If 35ft6 + (one more) can play, we can play some doubles.

35ft6
05-01-2007, 05:44 PM

How bout it 35ft6 or onehandbh?I might be able to play. You can reach me via my gmail e-mail alias:
karlroveshouldbeinjail@gmail.com

If 35ft6 + (one more) can play, we can play some doubles. Love the email address!

11am in Anaheim? Might be a little too ambitious for me. Saturday night is the Mayweather and De La Hoya fight. Sounds cool, though. Shoot...^^^ Funny how you guys talk about having to resort to flat shots, and when I feel like I am off I have to resort to more top. It goes both ways for me, though. I feel like hitting flat hit or miss type shots is easier, hitting the heavy top spin shot deep is just starting to come back. Maybe for pitchers in baseball it's the same thing, after a layoff they can still throw fastballs, but it's harder to control breaking and curve balls.

Yeah, when I'm not as rusty, I hit with more top when I'm going through a crap stretch during a match. Right now I go for flat shots simply because my footwork sucks, and when I'm out of position I figure might as well go for a winner.

mellofelow
05-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Granite, my student is also playing in the tournament. She's playing in the 14s but at Magnolia HS on Sat. Which division is your boy?

J011yroger
05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I feel like hitting flat hit or miss type shots is easier, hitting the heavy top spin shot deep is just starting to come back. Maybe for pitchers in baseball it's the same thing, after a layoff they can still throw fastballs, but it's harder to control breaking and curve balls.

Yeah, when I'm not as rusty, I hit with more top when I'm going through a crap stretch during a match. Right now I go for flat shots simply because my footwork sucks, and when I'm out of position I figure might as well go for a winner.

It must be a function of grip, because with the western for me to flatten one out and really lay a charge into it, my timing has to be on the money. And I have much more leeway to just whip something back with a silly amount of top on it when I am not in position, or my timing is off.

If I cared, I would speculate that it has something to do with the racquet face being square to the ball for a longer length of the stroke with the more traditional grips.

J

Fedace
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM

I still say we go and challenge Bruch and muller to a set of doubles. They will be one of the favorites to win the NCAA doubles championships, but i think if we play well, we have a chance.;)

GRANITECHIEF
05-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Granite, my student is also playing in the tournament. She's playing in the 14s but at Magnolia HS on Sat. Which division is your boy?

Boys 12's. Turned 11 in December and is rising quickly, ranked 29 now, but after the recent national tournament in Vegas, where he avenged losses to two players ranked in the teens, he should rise quite a bit. Gotta love beating players that you lost to the last time.

How is you student progressing? Whats her game style?

35ft6, we'll, most likely be headin down there the following weekend also, as only the first 3 rounds are this weekend. That fight should be good.

onehandbh
05-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Was going to use karlroveisthedevil at first but that's giving him a little
too much credit. Guy's got a long history of uh, "interesting" behavior,
dating back to his days in college when he pulled a Watergate-like move.
He's the kid in grade school that challenges someone (kid A) to a
one-on-one fight after school and then gets another kid (by telling him
that this kid A caused his parents to get divorced ) to sneak up on his
opponent from behind with a baseball bat and whacks him on the head
and knocks him out... AND THEN little Karl would proceed to kick dirt in
the kid's face and take the kid's lunch money.

Love the email address!

11am in Anaheim? Might be a little too ambitious for me. Saturday night is the Mayweather and De La Hoya fight. Sounds cool, though. Shoot... It goes both ways for me, though. I feel like hitting flat hit or miss type shots is easier, hitting the heavy top spin shot deep is just starting to come back. Maybe for pitchers in baseball it's the same thing, after a layoff they can still throw fastballs, but it's harder to control breaking and curve balls.

Oops, didn't see that it was in Anaheim. A bit far from me since I'll be busy
moving this weekend.

mellofelow
05-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Boys 12's. Turned 11 in December and is rising quickly, ranked 29 now, but after the recent national tournament in Vegas, where he avenged losses to two players ranked in the teens, he should rise quite a bit. Gotta love beating players that you lost to the last time.

How is you student progressing? Whats her game style?

35ft6, we'll, most likely be headin down there the following weekend also, as only the first 3 rounds are this weekend. That fight should be good.

She just turned 13 and finished 12s ranked 18 in So Cal. After only 4 tournaments in the 14s, she's now ranked 71. But should be top 50 after the next ranking update.

She's seeded at the Anaheim tournament but has a tough draw.

Good luck to your son!!! Sounds like a real playa.

One of these days, we should play doubles with the kids.

tenniko
05-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Was going to use karlroveisthedevil at first but that's giving him a little
too much credit. Guy's got a long history of uh, "interesting" behavior,
dating back to his days in college when he pulled a Watergate-like move.
He's the kid in grade school that challenges someone (kid A) to a
one-on-one fight after school and then gets another kid (by telling him
that this kid A caused his parents to get divorced ) to sneak up on his
opponent from behind with a baseball bat and whacks him on the head
and knocks him out... AND THEN little Karl would proceed to kick dirt in
the kid's face and take the kid's lunch money.

Oops, didn't see that it was in Anaheim. A bit far from me since I'll be busy
moving this weekend.

Again, awesome email address. Try sending emails to the White House ;) .

GRANITECHIEF
05-07-2007, 12:44 PM
She just turned 13 and finished 12s ranked 18 in So Cal. After only 4 tournaments in the 14s, she's now ranked 71. But should be top 50 after the next ranking update.

She's seeded at the Anaheim tournament but has a tough draw.

Good luck to your son!!! Sounds like a real playa.

One of these days, we should play doubles with the kids.

So how did it go? Is she still in it? Mine won two matches with 6-1,6-1 scoreline. Tough match coming up next with a top ten'er.

I played dubs with my boy as my partner on Saturday. We lost 6-4,7-6(6) to a couple of SOLID 5.0's. He bricked an easy overhead putaway at 6-6 in the breaker, then i netted a return off a first serve. Amazing how good the juniors are these days.

35ft6
05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Amazing how good the juniors are these days. Yeah, they don't get enough credit. Sure, the game is different these days, you don't see a lot of slice backhands and not as much net charging, but the top juniors can ball.

J011yroger
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah, they don't get enough credit. Sure, the game is different these days, you don't see a lot of slice backhands and not as much net charging, but the top juniors can ball.

I don't know why with the slice backhand, I work with a lot of juniors, and when I play them, or rally with them, and I hit that nasty slice backhand, from anywhere just above my knees to my shoelaces, and they see the ball arcing in at them, boring in on their backhand, or running away from their forehand, and it hits the ground and doesn't come up and breaks even harder, it is like they are seeing a UFO. It just totally short circuits them because it is nothing they have ever seen before. Then after about three weeks of hitting with me, they get used to my spin and pace, and they know the slice BH when they see it, and it is no biggie, but man, that first time, its priceless.

I teach it to all of my juniors, I think it is a very handsome shot and very usefull. Especially for them, because no one hits it. Something that I never needed as a kid because my two hander was so vastly superior to anyone elses backhand that I played, but now at the ripe old age of 25 I am finding it to be quite handy, and put in many many hours last year turning it into a tool, and occasional weapon.

J

35ft6
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't know why with the slice backhand, I work with a lot of juniors, and when I play them, or rally with them, and I hit that nasty slice backhand, from anywhere just above my knees to my shoelaces, and they see the ball arcing in at them, boring in on their backhand, or running away from their forehand, and it hits the ground and doesn't come up and breaks even harder, it is like they are seeing a UFO. It just totally short circuits them because it is nothing they have ever seen before. Yeah, my slice will spook people, too. What's weird is that in general, at least when we're talking about the pros, being able to only hit a top spin backhand isn't considered a bad thing, like Agassi and Safin are considered to have great backhands and they don't have great slices. But the other way around, if you only hit slice, is considered a weakness unless you're Graf or Rosewall. I was thinking about this mostly because I'm inclined to call my backhand the much weaker wing but I've had people tell me that my slice backhand is my weapon.

Anyway...

squints
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I know what you mean, it's like they become frozen for a bit in awe or horror. I have always tried to make it a point to be able to hit both a slice and topspin bh.

I have a question for you guys. do you know if there are any public courts in and around irvine/costa mesa? How is the competition level round there? i'm going to be moving down there for school at the end of the year and want to try to get my bearings. I've played in the 3.5 usta up here in norcal (SF bay area) with moderate to well success.

onehandbh
05-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, my slice will spook people, too. What's weird is that in general, at least when we're talking about the pros, being able to only hit a top spin backhand isn't considered a bad thing, like Agassi and Safin are considered to have great backhands and they don't have great slices. But the other way around, if you only hit slice, is considered a weakness unless you're Graf or Rosewall. I was thinking about this mostly because I'm inclined to call my backhand the much weaker wing but I've had people tell me that my slice backhand is my weapon.

Anyway...

LOL - yeah your slice surprised me the first time we hit. It has a ton
of spin. A lot more than most peoples'. If I were you, I'd definitely
consider using it as an approach shot or a setup shot in a
match/tournament when playing someone you've never faced before b/c
the skid may take them by surprise and you can cheat a little bit in your
court position in anticipation that they may hit their shot late.

35ft6
05-08-2007, 05:07 AM
^ My backhand has never really recovered since I switched rackets. Then again, I switched after I stopped playing a good amount (like 4 times a week or so), so my skill level has dropped period but, still, I feel like my backhand should still be a bit better. Oh well. I need to buy a good hat to shade my head. After that, I think I'm going to try to play more. Just that stupid sun... trying to stay out of it.

mellofelow
05-08-2007, 07:04 AM
So how did it go? Is she still in it? Mine won two matches with 6-1,6-1 scoreline. Tough match coming up next with a top ten'er.

I played dubs with my boy as my partner on Saturday. We lost 6-4,7-6(6) to a couple of SOLID 5.0's. He bricked an easy overhead putaway at 6-6 in the breaker, then i netted a return off a first serve. Amazing how good the juniors are these days.

Ugh... she lost to the first seed in 3 tough sets; definitely could have won but a great match none the less. The top seed moved on to lose to an opponent my girl has beaten in the afternoon round. Tough luck on the draw I guess.

Yeah... the juniors are good! I don't remember or deal with 20 stroke rallies in my junior days. But that's how they play today I guess... bang away from the base line. Drove me nuts because lots of those shots should be putaways if she had the opponent on the defense.

Good luck to your boy!! Well done. I think I know who he is based on the draw. If I'm correct, we have boys with the same first name. At 5 yr old, he kicks my butt on Nintendo Wii tennis.... LOL.

GRANITECHIEF
05-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Any of you So Cal players (35ft6 , onehandbh) up for some tennis in Anaheim between 10-12:30 tomorrow? I'm headin down for my boy to continue in the jr. tourney

Unfortunately, i will miss one of the local tournaments this weekend, but its worth it for my's boys tennis:

See any familiar names:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43883&E=11

I got beat by the #2 seed recently, although i think i can take him because i played terrible in that match. I also beat the #3 seed in a local tournament a couple years ago. I'm sure he's improved since then while i've gotten older, slower but hopefully wiser. I beat the #4 seed last year as well, but he too is very talented and is improving rapidly. He got to the easter bowl cons final recently.

LN_Dad
05-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Any of you So Cal players (35ft6 , onehandbh) up for some tennis in Anaheim between 10-12:30 tomorrow? I'm headin down for my boy to continue in the jr. tourney

Unfortunately, i will miss one of the local tournaments this weekend, but its worth it for my's boys tennis:

See any familiar names:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=43883&E=11

I got beat by the #2 seed recently, although i think i can take him because i played terrible in that match. I also beat the #3 seed in a local tournament a couple years ago. I'm sure he's improved since then while i've gotten older, slower but hopefully wiser. I beat the #4 seed last year as well, but he too is very talented and is improving rapidly. He got to the easter bowl cons final recently.

Hey Chief, I recognized the french guy who's seeded #1. Saw him play at RCI last year.
I can be at ATC at 9:30am if you want to hit. You can PM me.

35ft6
05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
No way I can do Anaheim that early. It'll happen sooner or later. Me and OneHandBH against you and your boy. Sooner the better, we're both rusty right now.

J011yroger
05-11-2007, 07:20 PM
If I make it out for the hard court Nats next month I will have to give you fellas a shout after I get whomped. Maybe we can play dubs so you can laugh at me.

J

35ft6
05-12-2007, 04:04 AM
If I make it out for the hard court Nats next month I will have to give you fellas a shout after I get whomped. Maybe we can play dubs so you can laugh at me.

J West siiiiiiidddddde!

I'm not playing so hot. Maybe you'll clown the ketchup out of us.

J011yroger
05-12-2007, 04:12 AM
^^In a bit of a rut myself, but I think I am comming out of it. Anyway, its all in good fun.

In other news did you see my thread on high level play and NTRP ratings. If not, please give it a read and chime in, I would like to hear your opinion.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=118505

J

GRANITECHIEF
05-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey Chief, I recognized the french guy who's seeded #1. Saw him play at RCI last year.
I can be at ATC at 9:30am if you want to hit. You can PM me.

LN, Sorry it didn't work out on Saturday. In retrospect, i shoulda just told the boy I was playing, but that would've been slightly insensitive.

Did you happen to watch any of the jr. matches? Thien beat the #1 seed and lost in the finals. I think my boy was still asleep when they played, as he didn't quite find his "A" game.

By the way, Anselme, who was the #1 seed in the latest tourney in Santa Barbara this past weekend, won both the singles and doubles. It would've been tough for my to take him in singles, but judging by how the match when between he and his student/partner and the team they played in the doubs (which my partner/I toyed with), i think my partner and i would've taken them. Next time i guess.

GRANITECHIEF
05-14-2007, 04:46 PM
No way I can do Anaheim that early. It'll happen sooner or later. Me and OneHandBH against you and your boy. Sooner the better, we're both rusty right now.

How bout this weekend in Pasadena/Eagle Rock, as were going there for a shindig my sister-in-law is having?

Yondan
05-14-2007, 07:17 PM
By the way, Anselme, who was the #1 seed in the latest tourney in Santa Barbara this past weekend, won both the singles and doubles. It would've been tough for my to take him in singles, but judging by how the match when between he and his student/partner and the team they played in the doubs (which my partner/I toyed with), i think my partner and i would've taken them. Next time i guess.

I lost to Anselme in the first round of qualies at last years Ojai. It was 3 and 0 I think. He has an absolutely monster serve and aced me on every break point.

I will most likely be playing the West Coast Championships in LA on the 26th of May, I will probably be up in LA for a few days before that or in Ojai at Weil so if any So Cal TWers wanna challenge I'm down, no more school haha.

onehandbh
05-14-2007, 10:22 PM
How bout this weekend in Pasadena/Eagle Rock, as were going there for a shindig my sister-in-law is having?

Pasadena/Eagle Rock is pretty close. Some doubles?

35ft6
05-15-2007, 12:41 AM
How bout this weekend in Pasadena/Eagle Rock, as were going there for a shindig my sister-in-law is having? Not sure, but if there's any way I can do it, I'll try my hardest. Sounds cool. Problem is I think we're locking a show this weekend, so it might be a 7 day week. I'll know by Thursday, Friday at the latest.

GRANITECHIEF
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Not sure, but if there's any way I can do it, I'll try my hardest. Sounds cool. Problem is I think we're locking a show this weekend, so it might be a 7 day week. I'll know by Thursday, Friday at the latest.

Any word on being able to set up that hit?

35ft6
05-19-2007, 04:31 AM
I can do Pasadena on Sunday, but not Sat/today. I'm totally down. Let me know.

******_bog@mac.com

ximian
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
So I'm out in the SoCal area for college, maybe we could hit sometime? I played #2 singles for my school in the NAIA division. Unfortunately, it was a new program so our team was not that strong. I think I'd fit in at #5 singles on a strong team, but #2 was a bit of a stretch. Probably a low 5.0 player. Any one want to hit?

onehandbh
05-21-2007, 12:47 PM
You can reach me at:

karlroveshouldbeinjail@gmail.com

Don't have a ton of time to play these days, but trying to play more.

ximian
05-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that I'm heading home in a week or so (how'd I forget about that? :confused: ). Maybe a match on thursday would work if anyone is up for a last-minuet match. Should be back in the fall.

35ft6
05-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that I'm heading home in a week or so (how'd I forget about that? :confused: ). Maybe a match on thursday would work if anyone is up for a last-minuet match. Should be back in the fall. Where are you staying? I might be able to do Thursday.

******_bog@mac.com

GRANITECHIEF
05-21-2007, 04:15 PM
I can do Pasadena on Sunday, but not Sat/today. I'm totally down. Let me know.

******_bog@mac.com

Still trying to find the right time/place. Hopefully soon!

35ft6
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
After this past weekend, not sure if I'm going to be hitting much. :) I'm actually getting worse I think.

ximian
05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Where are you staying? I might be able to do Thursday.

******_bog@mac.com

Sent you an email, thanks.

GRANITECHIEF
05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
After this past weekend, not sure if I'm going to be hitting much. :) I'm actually getting worse I think.

Care to elaborate? Curious as to why the wheels fell off.

35ft6
05-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Care to elaborate? Curious as to why the wheels fell off. Nah, I'll keep hitting.

I think the problem is psychological. When I first started hitting after months of not even touching a racket, I had no expectations whatsoever so no complaints. Now, about 8 weeks and hits later, I'm beginning to have expectations so I get upset.

The last outing was extra annoying because there was no rhyme or reason to my misses. Wide, long, into the net, easy shots, on the run, etc. No idea.

I really won't improve until I can start playing 3 or 4 times a week for a few weeks straight. But also, I think the extra lead I put on my racket is screwing up my volleys. My volleys are usually more dependable after a layoff than my groundies, but lately they've been total sucksville.

Still, lets play doubles. I'm down. Should be interesting to see how I'm serving.

GRANITECHIEF
05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Maybe we can work something out this weekend. My boy is playing in the Quicksilver Jr. down in the Irvine area. I am playing in a local non-usta tourney. If i go out early (forbid), then i'll be headin down south. And depending on his performance, maybe we'll find an open window.

How is your weekend shaping up?

35ft6
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
^ I'll have a better idea by Thursday evening. I'll post something. We keep expecting a crazy weekend.

35ft6
10-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Went to the Calabasas tournament this past weekend, the first Open tournament I've seen while in California. A tough draw but I've gotta think not ridiculous, there must be worse. Anyway, my goal was to try to crack the top 100 seeding list rankings but I realized in one afternoon that top 200 or 250 is more realistic considering I'll never have time to play every day. It was balls out. Even if I could play every day, I would have to lose 50 pounds, and play every day with quality opponents, 2 hours of productive hitting. Sick.

onehandbh
10-08-2007, 11:33 PM
^^^ played in the tournament (dubs) just for kicks without much prep and
realized in one afternoon, just how far I am from playing
competitive tennis and how the last few years of hacking around at the
park with random people has created a lot of lackadaisical footwork and
deteriorated technique. But... really, a lot of it is also my unfocused
attitude when I do play and practice - and screwing around all the time
and going for super angled dropshots while standing completely flat-footed.
Needless to say, the results were less than stellar, but pretty much
what I expected. Ugh.

Going to try and be more focused now when I play/practice - regardless of
who I'm hitting with.

GRANITECHIEF
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I watched the Semis of the Top Gun tourney at Irvine club.

Ryan Thatcher d Adrian Bohane.
Frederick Taino d Vince Mackey

Ryan Thatcher really reminded me of Jarkko Neimenen. Not real aggresive, but a really smooth stroker and mover. Of course he had potent counter punching shots. He had several points where, Bohane (super heavy/spinny forehand) had him sliding in the corners only to end up losing the point. I left after Bohane won the 2nd set TB and wondered who would win. Thatcher ended up with 6-1 in the third. He should be able to do some damage up at Stanford.

Taino hits the ball very flat and hard off both sides and has a great serve too. Also had great control on the touch shots like shoveling the angle pass shots and drop volleys. Mackey is a really athletic guy, powerful mover and could really light up the flat forehand. He had a bit of a hole in the backhand, which he sliced 80% of the time. And he went for too many dropshots too, even when they were not working.

Anyway, here's the draw:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=55320&E=1&D=M&S=F

Anyone played any of these guys? I almost played Mackey a year or 2 ago, but i bulged a disk in the previous round.

J011yroger
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Chief, is that a common way to run a tourney out there?

Giving the top 8 seeds straight shots to the R16?

J

tbini87
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
are there any tourneys in the San Diego area? i have never watched one, and would be really interested. i got excited when you guys were talking about so cal, but i am way way down in so cal. i know there are some good players in poway and rancho bernardo, which are pretty close to where i live.

goober
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
are there any tourneys in the San Diego area? i have never watched one, and would be really interested. i got excited when you guys were talking about so cal, but i am way way down in so cal. i know there are some good players in poway and rancho bernardo, which are pretty close to where i live.

There are tons of tourneys in the San Diego area. Just use tennis link on the USTA website and search for all the upcoming tourneys. You can also watch USD, SDSU, UCSD tennis matches for free as well as the several pro tourneys they have out there.

LN_Dad
11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey Chief, I remember Steve Johnson beat R. Thacher a few years ago in the CIF individuals. He must have improved a lot to take down Bohane; i think this guy used to play for Ohio state so he's not an easy guy to beat. Very impressive what Thatcher did.

tbini87
11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
There are tons of tourneys in the San Diego area. Just use tennis link on the USTA website and search for all the upcoming tourneys. You can also watch USD, SDSU, UCSD tennis matches for free as well as the several pro tourneys they have out there.

thanks. almost got to watch the ladies play in la costa this year... but missed it. tickets weren't cheap though. i will definitely try to get to some sdsu matches since i have a lot of friends that go there.

Hooooon
11-13-2007, 06:04 AM
I watched the Semis of the Top Gun tourney at Irvine club.

Ryan Thatcher d Adrian Bohane.
Frederick Taino d Vince Mackey

Ryan Thatcher really reminded me of Jarkko Neimenen. Not real aggresive, but a really smooth stroker and mover. Of course he had potent counter punching shots. He had several points where, Bohane (super heavy/spinny forehand) had him sliding in the corners only to end up losing the point. I left after Bohane won the 2nd set TB and wondered who would win. Thatcher ended up with 6-1 in the third. He should be able to do some damage up at Stanford.

Taino hits the ball very flat and hard off both sides and has a great serve too. Also had great control on the touch shots like shoveling the angle pass shots and drop volleys. Mackey is a really athletic guy, powerful mover and could really light up the flat forehand. He had a bit of a hole in the backhand, which he sliced 80% of the time. And he went for too many dropshots too, even when they were not working.

Anyway, here's the draw:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=55320&E=1&D=M&S=F

Anyone played any of these guys? I almost played Mackey a year or 2 ago, but i bulged a disk in the previous round.

this years top gun tourney was ridiculously weak for a $10k. taino is finished touring and both he and mackey are in their late 30s. it was prob mackeys biggest cash ever, and thacher is legit but has a lot of physical maturing to do from what i here (fair enough, he's 17). haven't played any of them myself, nor would i hang with them, but aside from depth in the early rounds the tourney was no stronger than a $2k open. socal big open tourney players that would have been heavily favored vs this years field: l. cook, t. rettenmaier, b. wilson, r. borvanov... also, touring futures players usually skip a tourn to play it. it reminded me of a norcal open (they always do block seeding up there), except for the depth.

Hooooon
11-13-2007, 06:11 AM

good idea, stick to sdsu and usd matches if you want to watch good tennis. san diego opens are relatively weak and there are no pro tournaments in san diego, at all (silly, no?).

goober
11-13-2007, 06:29 AM
good idea, stick to sdsu and usd matches if you want to watch good tennis. san diego opens are relatively weak and there are no pro tournaments in san diego, at all (silly, no?).

Well there's the Acura Classic every year there for the WTA.

I am not sure what the Futures/challengers schedule is like but if there aren't any in San Diego area I know there are a bunch in Orange County which isn't that far of a drive.

UCSD is DII but they are pretty high level DII so probably a decent amount of 5.0-5.5 players. SDSU and USD though are D1 so their players and opponents will be better.

Hooooon
11-13-2007, 06:39 AM
Well there's the Acura Classic every year there for the WTA.

I am not sure what the Futures/challengers schedule is like but if there aren't any in San Diego area I know there are a bunch in Orange County which isn't that far of a drive.

UCSD is DII but they are pretty high level DII so probably a decent amount of 5.0-5.5 players. SDSU and USD though are D1 so their players and opponents will be better.

uh...acura classic no longer exists (07 was the last) and yes, OC has 3-4 futures tourneys at the end of the summer that may be worth the trip. ucsd's top 2 players would start at sdsu or usd but nobody else on their team would make either of the others' rosters (you're right, 5.5 players at #3-5, but a completely different level to their top 2 or the other programs).

goober
11-13-2007, 08:03 AM
uh...acura classic no longer exists (07 was the last) and yes, OC has 3-4 futures tourneys at the end of the summer that may be worth the trip. ucsd's top 2 players would start at sdsu or usd but nobody else on their team would make either of the others' rosters (you're right, 5.5 players at #3-5, but a completely different level to their top 2 or the other programs).

That is sad to see the Acura classic leaving. Oh well I was thinking about going out there next year, I guess that plan is nixed. lol

joe sch
11-13-2007, 09:02 AM
this years top gun tourney was ridiculously weak for a $10k. taino is finished touring and both he and mackey are in their late 30s. it was prob mackeys biggest cash ever, and thacher is legit but has a lot of physical maturing to do from what i here (fair enough, he's 17). haven't played any of them myself, nor would i hang with them, but aside from depth in the early rounds the tourney was no stronger than a $2k open. socal big open tourney players that would have been heavily favored vs this years field: l. cook, t. rettenmaier, b. wilson, r. borvanov... also, touring futures players usually skip a tourn to play it. it reminded me of a norcal open (they always do block seeding up there), except for the depth.

Newman and Mackey have both been top open players in SCal for many years but dont seem to have enough to get to the next level. I was surprised that Mackey took out Neman 4 and 1 at the quarters of this years TopGun. I saw both play and thier levels look to be as strong as ever. Mackey is really strong and athletic with punishing and pretty flat groundies. He strokes are very mechanical and consistent. His BH is really interesting since his backswing and early preparation makes either the slice or topper hard to read. Newman also has more classic goundies and a punishing return of serve. He can take the ball very early and play very agressive baseline tennis. Noah actually had a more classic game which started to change at the end of his juniors and transition to UCLA. Its still a very effective game but I dont think he has/had the foot speed to get to the next level.

Rob_C
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Newman and Mackey have both been top open players in SCal for many years but dont seem to have enough to get to the next level. I was surprised that Mackey took out Neman 4 and 1 at the quarters of this years TopGun. I saw both play and thier levels look to be as strong as ever. Mackey is really strong and athletic with punishing and pretty flat groundies. He strokes are very mechanical and consistent. His BH is really interesting since his backswing and early preparation makes either the slice or topper hard to read. Newman also has more classic goundies and a punishing return of serve. He can take the ball very early and play very agressive baseline tennis. Noah actually had a more classic game which started to change at the end of his juniors and transition to UCLA. Its still a very effective game but I dont think he has/had the foot speed to get to the next level.

Mackey has had an ok run on the tour. He has one 1 top 100 win over Grant Stafford in a Challenger back in the 90s. He's played in the US Open main draw once or twice. His biggest problem is his backhand which he used to just slice all the time. He finally started coming over it later on, but he was already probably mid 20s. His career high was in the 800s, but he's come thru qualies in Challengers and Futures many times. I wouldn't put Newman in the same class as him b/c Noah, to my knowledge, only got 1 pt ever, which is an accomplishment, I just dont think it compares to multiple main draw wins over a stretch of years.

joe sch
11-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Mackey has had an ok run on the tour. He has one 1 top 100 win over Grant Stafford in a Challenger back in the 90s. He's played in the US Open main draw once or twice. His biggest problem is his backhand which he used to just slice all the time. He finally started coming over it later on, but he was already probably mid 20s. His career high was in the 800s, but he's come thru qualies in Challengers and Futures many times. I wouldn't put Newman in the same class as him b/c Noah, to my knowledge, only got 1 pt ever, which is an accomplishment, I just dont think it compares to multiple main draw wins over a stretch of years.

Rob, Thanks for the info on Mackey. His career high ATP world rank was actually around 350. Im not sure if he ever got past the USO qualies in his 3 attempts ? He is now running a jr academy in pasadena and one notable product is Robert Yim. It is unfortunate that Newman never had the $ to give the tour much of a go. Anybody interested in lessons from Mackey can goto:
http://www.tennispasadena.com/AboutUs.htm

GRANITECHIEF
11-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Chief, is that a common way to run a tourney out there?

Giving the top 8 seeds straight shots to the R16?

J

Jolly, i don't think its all that common, it just happened to work out that way based on the number of entrants.

Interesting getting the info on these players from those who contributed.

Rob C, you move to So Cal yet? We gotta hit!

J011yroger
11-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Jolly, i don't think its all that common, it just happened to work out that way based on the number of entrants.

Interesting getting the info on these players from those who contributed.

Rob C, you move to So Cal yet? We gotta hit!

Thanks chief!

Now if I could just understand how in the heck they figure out the seeding list I would be all set :)

Why cant everything be simple like eastern?

J

Rob_C
11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Rob, Thanks for the info on Mackey. His career high ATP world rank was actually around 350. Im not sure if he ever got past the USO qualies in his 3 attempts ? He is now running a jr academy in pasadena and one notable product is Robert Yim. It is unfortunate that Newman never had the $ to give the tour much of a go. Anybody interested in lessons from Mackey can goto:
http://www.tennispasadena.com/AboutUs.htm

Ooops, I flubbed on the US Open Main draw. I forgot the Qualies WC he got was for winning the ATA Nat'l Chmps. He either beat or lost to Steve Campbell ???? I cant rememeber, maybe both. I checked on the ITF site and it had his career high in the 800s, maybe the ATP site has something different.

GRANITE, no I havent moved back to SoCal yet, and dont think its ever going to happen with the real estate prices and all the traffic congestion. Vegas suck as far as tennis, but SoCal isnt that far away. Looking forward to hitting with you again. My schedule should free up after Dec.

GRANITECHIEF
07-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Thread Revival!!

The usual suspects are at it again at the $2000 Santa Barbara Open:

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/Draws/EventDraw.aspx?T=66397&E=45&D=M&S=F

Any comments or observations on the draw?

35ft6
07-13-2008, 02:05 AM
^ Is Leo Eric's brother? Looks like the real final was in the semi's. :) Don't recognize any names except Sam Webster.

I was telling some people today how I checked out an Open tournament in So Cal, the pre qualies in Calabasas, and how sick the competition was. I really need to lose weight. I don't have a power game and I can't afford to be playing Michael Chang style. I need to be in position and hit solid shots consistently. ugh. Making food right now. Kind of drunk actually.

GRANITECHIEF
07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I think Leo is Erics bro. Both he and Anselme played for UCSB, Anselme at #1.

I watched the final and the #1 was on sick fire. He barely missed a shot. His serve is nearly unbreakable and his forehand was just on. It had a laser guidance system for the corners and was boosting up the turbos.

He was definitely playing top 500 tennis. Cool to see.

35ft6
07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow, he served up some bread sticks in the finals. Again, the depth of So Cal Men's Open tennis is ridiculous.

GRANITECHIEF
07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Breadsticks indeed, and got paid $800 for doing so and the loser got paid $450 to eat em.

Pretty crazy that a player can make more money playing local opens than playing futures!!

anchorsteamer
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Breadsticks indeed, and got paid $800 for doing so and the loser got paid $450 to eat em.

Pretty crazy that a player can make more money playing local opens than playing futures!!

The money is definetely in Open's instead of futures...

Granitechief: check out SHOTGUN21.com

Sounds like an interesting tournament...

GRANITECHIEF
07-28-2008, 02:24 PM
The money is definetely in Open's instead of futures...

Granitechief: check out SHOTGUN21.com

Sounds like an interesting tournament...

Definitely sounds interesting, especially the $20K in prize money part. I'm sure it would be a kick too, getting a chance to play rally games against Spadea and some other good players.

You gonna give it a go?

anchorsteamer
07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Definitely sounds interesting, especially the $20K in prize money part. I'm sure it would be a kick too, getting a chance to play rally games against Spadea and some other good players.

You gonna give it a go?

It's either that or the countrywide qualies...not sure...certainly sounds interesting though...

GRANITECHIEF
07-29-2008, 08:31 AM
You should go for the real action/points fo sho.

What up with interclub at Peirpont tonite?