PDA

View Full Version : First Hs match

Ryan in Saratoga
04-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Well we had our first match today. It started off me not playing as we only had 7 dry courts. So when two matches were over me and my doubles partner went to play, we are 3 doubles. it was my first match ever and i was a little nervous but not much. Unfortunately i went to serve and doubles faulted 3 times in my first service game. We went down 0-5 in the first set before we won a game. The set ended 1-6. Second set we came out strong coming up with a 3-1 lead and we still had our serve unfortunately we were broken and before we knew it, it was a tie breaker. After battling out the points we lost 6-8 in the tie break. So the match ended with a defeat of 1-6, 6-7.
I just have a question regarding doubles. I am not a strong volley player and i cant seem to get a rythem at the net. Anything i can do to practice vollies besides match play?

dave333
04-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Have someone feed you balls and volley them. Or volley with a wall.

Sounds like your serve consistency needs some work too. If ur double faulting a lot, just go for 2 second serves and make sure they get in. Double faults are a no no in doubles as they'd have to have a lethal return to get return aces and if your 2nd serve is at least decent, they really can't get too big of an advantage.

PrinceDiablo525
04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Make sure that you don't swing on your volleys to get crisper volleys.

Ryan in Saratoga
04-04-2007, 05:47 PM
my serves in the first game were horrible as i got 3 doubles after that i had 1 double the rest of the match with a 1st serve of around 80%. it isnt to fast but it was pretty consistent.

Also another question. these two were constantly at net. the one would hit a return then run to the net, is the best thing to do to lob it to the base line? We did that very well the first part of the second set but toward the end the wind started to work against us.

PrinceDiablo525
04-04-2007, 06:53 PM
In doubles you want to get to the net right away so you can put the ball away. If you have good lobs, then go for it, but if you aren't and just giving them chances to take an overhead, then try hitting passing shots down the middle in between them so it causes confusion so they think the other one is going to hit it. Also hit shots that are at their feet while at the net so that it causes them to hit the ball up.

These are just some things that might improve your doubles game.

swuster
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
The returner shouldn't be able to rush the net on a return, especially on a first serve. If he is doing so, you should either lob it back over his head or place a shot at his feet, preferably down the center of the court. If he is able to get into position quickly enough to control the net, consider adding a little more depth to your serve to keep him back a little. Getting first serves in is essential for doubles! Add some more topspin if you find it's hard to get it in; this will serve the triple purpose of A) increasing your serve percentage, B) giving you more time to react to the ball, and C) hitting a deeper ball that keeps the opponent on the baseline.

Anyways, the best way to practice your volleys is simply to keep practicing. Going against a wall is more predictable, but will help you get into the rhythm of it; you should also ask someone to keep hitting passing shots at you to improve your reaction and placement.

I used to be horrible at volleys; one way that's worked for me is to improve my stance. Holding the racket up higher (without cheating to either side) and then change the position depending on what works for you; it's definitely improved my net game.