PDA

View Full Version : i didnt make my middle school team

billbobfrd
04-03-2007, 06:42 PM
i didnt make my school team but i know that im better than some of the people who made it

is it a good idea to go to one of the practices and tell the coach to put me in a match against somebody for a spot on the team?

billbobfrd
04-03-2007, 08:04 PM
any help please?

armand
04-04-2007, 04:46 AM
Yes, good idea. However, that's a pretty bold thing to do and if you do it and lose, you must vow to never play tennis ever again

billbobfrd
04-04-2007, 06:50 AM
ok i have another choice, during next week the tennis coach is holding a clinic

i can go there and show him that i should be there

dave333
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
If you are better than some of the people who got in, why didnt' you get in?

brayman9
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
well maybe you should go but i would think he would put u in if you were good enough. Unless he thought u lacked in something or he just didn't like u. witch is mean but it happens. Show him how good u are and beat up on your teammates.

TennezSport
04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
It' a good idea to go to the clinic to show that you are interested. If the workout goes well, ask the coach if you can be a practice partner for the team and let him see what you can do from there. If he likes what he sees, he may change his mind. Good luck with your challenge.

TennezSport :cool:

iplaybetter
04-04-2007, 03:05 PM
i feel for you but cant relate that rely stinks you just need to prove you are as good as you say

EasternRocks
04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
ok.....try next time

billbobfrd
04-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I didnt make the team the first time, because i hadnt played in a while before the tryout so everything was all screwed up. I got better after the next 2 tryouts, but she didnt watch anybody except the people who did good after the first tryout or were ranked.

Basically not many people could make the team unless they were ranked or had played last year, and most of the people who were ranked were ranked in the lower 300s and had only played 1 tourney

mardy_fish
04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
just practice and try again next year

michaellashan
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Does the coach every use challenge matches as part of the tryout process? Every team that I played for from high school to college used challenge matches for tryouts and even during the season. Each player had to earn their spot and had to defend, as well as, "challenge up".

I would present the option of challenge matches, an ongoing ladder system or a tournament for those that don't make the team. If that doesn't help, then just keep playing, find a jr. league to join and keep working hard. Stay hungry and keep fighting. Remember, Michael Jordan was cut from his high school varsity team.

Good Luck!

ibringtheHEAT
04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Most of the time the tennis coaches in middle school are just football coaches that know the rules somewhat of tennis. At least in Texas thats how it is. If you truely believe you can beat one of them then just tell the coach that you think you would bring something to the team and you would like to have him watch you play either with him or against one of the kids on the team, but as I said before the coaches in junior high usually aren't straight tennis coaches, they usually coach one of the bigger sports in their main time and coach tennis for a little extra pay. Don't take what they say seriously, if you are good then play outside of school and progress more and more. Good luck in high school or your latter middle school years dependant on what grade your in.

103xStateChamp
04-08-2007, 01:13 PM
My middle school team didnt have tryouts. We had practice in the morning so a lot of my friends decided to play for the team even though we knew we would be too much to match for most public schools. We took the 7 spots and only lost 12 games as a team comibned we played 1 set up to 8. There was also exhibiton matches maybe you should ask her to play as an extra not in matches and work your way up to be on the team.

103xStateChamp
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Most of the time the tennis coaches in middle school are just football coaches that know the rules somewhat of tennis. At least in Texas thats how it is. If you truely believe you can beat one of them then just tell the coach that you think you would bring something to the team and you would like to have him watch you play either with him or against one of the kids on the team, but as I said before the coaches in junior high usually aren't straight tennis coaches, they usually coach one of the bigger sports in their main time and coach tennis for a little extra pay. Don't take what they say seriously, if you are good then play outside of school and progress more and more. Good luck in high school or your latter middle school years dependant on what grade your in.

I heard Texas has great high school football teams

ibringtheHEAT
04-12-2007, 03:46 PM
I heard Texas has great high school football teams

Best in the business ;)

shojun25
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I didnt make the team the first time, because i hadnt played in a while before the tryout so everything was all screwed up. I got better after the next 2 tryouts, but she didnt watch anybody except the people who did good after the first tryout or were ranked.

Basically not many people could make the team unless they were ranked or had played last year, and most of the people who were ranked were ranked in the lower 300s and had only played 1 tourney

dang... this is a pretty competitive middle school team. we don't even have a middle school team in our league. you guys are really lucky to have one.

Also, that clinic presentation idea and the challenging someone idea are pretty good. Good luck on your match.

103xStateChamp
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Challenge that little *** that took your spot :o

ibringtheHEAT
04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, I played a middle schooler today, and he was honestly worse than my 10 year old brother. He had no form and just whacked at the ball as hard as he could, don't worry about this and quit whining over the net. It's not going to change anything.

NebAce1
04-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Yea I've never seen a middle school team before. I didn't know there were any.

ibringtheHEAT
04-19-2007, 05:18 PM

I played middle school tennis, and it was honestly just a joke. I only did it to get out of offseason for football, but I found out I was pretty decent so I stuck with it. I still toss around the pigskin now and then, but tennis is my sport.

soggyramen
04-19-2007, 06:39 PM
going to the clinic will show him that you're dedicated which is something that coaches really like

TennisNinja
04-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Same, barely any middle schools have tennis teams. Mine doesn't.

NbladeTopspin
04-22-2007, 03:47 AM
is it boys?

mwitiiram
04-22-2007, 12:03 PM
you could just wait until high school and make that team instead of doing something stupid and ruining your image for the rest of your junior tennis year. At high school tryouts do you want to hear "thats the kid that wanted to challenge me for a spot on our old middle school team and lost" do you think a high school coach would want someone who challenges his authority? i don't think so. Suck it up. Play tournaments. Get better, build a ranking and try out for High School. Do USTA team tennis if you must play with a team

billbobfrd
04-25-2007, 11:28 PM
well, in the end i went to the clinics and did everything and then she said that it was too late to join cas the roster was allready set, but during the clinic she said that i probally shouldve been there but she didnt watch me enough at the tryout or something

slice bh compliment
04-26-2007, 02:01 AM
i didnt make my school team but i know that im better than some of the people who made it

is it a good idea to go to one of the practices and tell the coach to put me in a match against somebody for a spot on the team?

Sorry Bill, Bob, Fred. Too bad you did not prepare enough for tryouts, man. Learn from that and practice. Since you are not on the team, it will take some effort to set up guys to hit with/drill with/play practice sets with. Make that effort. Play with women, old dudes, a wall, whatever.

Drill. Take a lesson or two from a good, reputable certified teaching pro. Write down and practice what he shows you. Take a follow-up lesson a month later, after having visualized and practiced the stuff like 4 or 5 days a week. Watch videos of high speed footage of pros with clean strokes. Strokes you feel good about imitating. Watch good players, one at a time. Then go hit a few.

Ask the coach if he needs you as a hitting partner. Let him know you're serious about playing. Maybe he's got a few other guys who also did not make the cut. You guys could develop together.

Go watch that movie Rudy seven or eight times. It's okay to cry at the ending, the music does it every time. And the chanting.

Play to develop, not necessarily to win. The winning will take care of itself. Practice your serve a lot. Especially your second serve. It is what separates men from boys.

On rainy days, or when you do not have any tennis set up, work out with a friend (sprints, medicine ball, agility training, foam ball volley rallies against a wall in the basement...whatever).

Coaches love a kid who is not afraid to work hard. You will prbably get on the squad next season.

cereal
04-26-2007, 03:20 AM
is it boys?

hah. Girls on this forum? fat chance.

KingOfTennis
04-26-2007, 04:03 AM

ok this happends to my friends all the time. i personally wouldnt ask for a re-match and instead get better and come back next time and show who is the best :D.

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Sorry Bill, Bob, Fred. Too bad you did not prepare enough for tryouts, man. Learn from that and practice. Since you are not on the team, it will take some effort to set up guys to hit with/drill with/play practice sets with. Make that effort. Play with women, old dudes, a wall, whatever.*1

Drill. Take a lesson or two from a good, reputable certified teaching pro. Write down and practice what he shows you. Take a follow-up lesson a month later, after having visualized and practiced the stuff like 4 or 5 days a week. Watch videos of high speed footage*2 of pros with clean strokes. Strokes you feel good about imitating. Watch good players, one at a time. Then go hit a few.

Ask the coach if he needs you as a hitting partner. Let him know you're serious about playing. Maybe he's got a few other guys who also did not make the cut. You guys could develop together.*3

Go watch that movie Rudy seven or eight times. It's okay to cry at the ending, the music does it every time. And the chanting.

Play to develop, not necessarily to win. The winning will take care of itself. Practice your serve a lot. Especially your second serve. It is what separates men from boys.

On rainy days, or when you do not have any tennis set up, work out with a friend (sprints, medicine ball, agility training, foam ball volley rallies against a wall in the basement...whatever).

Coaches love a kid who is not afraid to work hard. You will prbably get on the squad next season.

1.Great advice, this is how I get most of my hitting in and I'm 15......you'd be surprised what you can learn from an older player.
2.I think you mean slow-speed footage.
3.Not a great idea.

hah. Girls on this forum? fat chance.

There are actually a few, most are older though none I have seen are high-school or even college aged.

ok this happends to my friends all the time. i personally wouldnt ask for a re-match and instead get better and come back next time and show who is the best :D.

Better way to do it, but he is going to have to wait a whole year if he does this.....

All in all, it sounds like it's too late to take any action. If you have taken any of our advice then please tell us how it worked out. Anyways, go play some tennis and don't waste away on the message boards like us ;)

slice bh compliment
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks I bring the HEAT for the feedback. Thanks for bringin' it.

2] W/all due respec...High-speed film yields slower slow motion (many more frames per second). That is why they call it high speed footage on TennisONE, Tennis Player.net and the like. But I know what you meant. Super slow motion.

3] I was being optimistic. There may be a diamond in the rough there. Plus, it is good to play a few weaker guys every now and then to develop things you are not good at yet. Probably the best way to become more consistent.

ibringtheHEAT
04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks I bring the HEAT for the feedback. Thanks for bringin' it.

2] W/all due respec...High-speed film yields slower slow motion (many more frames per second). That is why they call it high speed footage on TennisONE, Tennis Player.net and the like. But I know what you meant. Super slow motion.

3] I was being optimistic. There may be a diamond in the rough there. Plus, it is good to play a few weaker guys every now and then to develop things you are not good at yet. Probably the best way to become more consistent.

kk....Sorry, I don't watch tennis films that much, but that makes sense when I sit and think about it for a second. Yeah, they even have it in the horrible 8 pixel youtube videos ;)