PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Pure Control Aficionados...

jcstennis
04-05-2007, 10:57 AM
stringing recommendation...

i have a PC team standard...play it stock with an overgrip. i'm a 3.5-4.0. play a semi-westen 1HFH and a 1HBH. the biggest part of my game is my serve.

i am going to try a hybrid string job... strings i have recently used have been (full job): NRG2 17g, X-1 17g, SPPP 17g.

I am looking at trying Lux ALU and NXT Tour... or Hurricaine Pro (Blue) and Xcel. (These both come in duo packs or half packs) or i can buy 2 full sets and split 'em.) I would probably string the M's w/ poly @ 56-58lbs. And the X's w/ multi @ 58-60lbs.

Any recommedndations?

thanks!

Bottle Rocket
04-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Sounds a little high on the tensions to me, but I'll be interested to know how it plays. I haven't tried a hybrid in my PC.

I'll be testing out some Cyberflash in mine tonight at 54 lbs. I've never tried Cyberflash before so I am interested to see how it compares to ALU.

jcstennis
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Sounds a little high on the tensions to me, but I'll be interested to know how it plays. I haven't tried a hybrid in my PC.

I'll be testing out some Cyberflash in mine tonight at 54 lbs. I've never tried Cyberflash before so I am interested to see how it compares to ALU.

I played with SPPP (FJ) @ 52lbs (roughly mid tension -10%) in my Pure Storm. And it worked out nice.

The set up i have in the PC now (they way i received it) is SPPP hex in mains, Gamma ESP crosses @ 54lbs each. It feels a little soft/mushy and too low tension-wise.

So, i was thinking 56M's (poly), 58X's (multi). I will see how this goes.

My guy does not carry Cyberflash... i would like to see how it works for you... maybe i will find some and try it out.:grin:

How do you like the ALU? (i will search your PC reviews also);)

Bottle Rocket
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
If I like the Cyberflash I am going to buy a reel... If I do I can probably spare a set for a fellow PC'er... :)

I also have a set of Unique Big Hitter that is also supposed to be comparable to the Luxilon, so I'll have to try that too.

It definitel seems like the Pure Control needs higher tensions to get the same feeling of control that you get with the Pure Storm at lower tensions. Maybe because of the stiffness? I am not sure what that's all about, but I agree with you there.

In my Pure Storm the last poly I had in it was SPPP at 54 lbs and it was nice. I must have had the string in there for a few months and never noticed a drop-off in performance, that stuff lasts forever. My complaints with SPPP are that it is mushy, lower powered powered, and bright orange.

Lighter rackets aggrevate my elbow so even at higher tensions, I find the Pure Control very comfortable. I'll let you know what I think of the Cyber Flash later tonight.

I love Luxilon ALU... As of yet I haven't found anything that compares, the only issue is the cost. I just can't keep spending $14 for a set of string and there is no way I am buying a reel for $270. A $67 Cyber Flash reel, even if slightly less performance, is a tremendous deal.

Ever tried the Pure Control with straight up synthetic gut?

jcstennis
04-05-2007, 04:54 PM
If I like the Cyberflash I am going to buy a reel... If I do I can probably spare a set for a fellow PC'er... :)

I also have a set of Unique Big Hitter that is also supposed to be comparable to the Luxilon, so I'll have to try that too.

It definitel seems like the Pure Control needs higher tensions to get the same feeling of control that you get with the Pure Storm at lower tensions. Maybe because of the stiffness? I am not sure what that's all about, but I agree with you there.

In my Pure Storm the last poly I had in it was SPPP at 54 lbs and it was nice. I must have had the string in there for a few months and never noticed a drop-off in performance, that stuff lasts forever. My complaints with SPPP are that it is mushy, lower powered powered, and bright orange.

Lighter rackets aggrevate my elbow so even at higher tensions, I find the Pure Control very comfortable. I'll let you know what I think of the Cyber Flash later tonight.

I love Luxilon ALU... As of yet I haven't found anything that compares, the only issue is the cost. I just can't keep spending $14 for a set of string and there is no way I am buying a reel for $270. A $67 Cyber Flash reel, even if slightly less performance, is a tremendous deal.

Ever tried the Pure Control with straight up synthetic gut?

What stringer do you use? And do you use a one piece stringing for your PC or PS?

Right now, i decided to go with the ALU on the PC with NXT tour x's. (55, 58lbs)... trying the hybrid!

My PS i have weighted up, with X-1 (FJ)... my PC is 12oz, my PS 11.6oz...
With my PS, with SPPP @ 52lbs it felt fine, a touch mushy, not too lively, but nice control (this was at stock weight). Now i have the X-1 @ 55lbs and wow, too much! It feels way too soft, too much power! I leaded it up pretty good and it feels way better, actually nice and controlable. i'm now taking advantage of the X-1's true potential! (i will probably not use X-1 on this stick as a full job in the future -works better on Yonnies- but maybe as a hybrid on the PS). The PS does well, for me, with added weight...such a nice smooth stick!

My PC has been a dream so far... i demoed a K Tour 90 this week for kicks and giggles, actually for old times sake (i'm an old Pro Staff 6.0 85 / 6.1 Classic 95 user..10 years+)... the K90 felt fine, a bit heavy, nice sweet spot, etc, etc... but the Bab PC has got the K's number, i really enjoy the control, power, material and weight of the PC. I never thought i would like a Babolat stick, but they actually make a very fine product... now i know why the PC has not changed in years! And as you mentioned previously on the boards, the PC is comfortable! You have to play with it for sometime to realize that. I'm glad i stuck with it.

I have never played the PC with straight syn. Just multis or ploys or both. A guy i play with used to play his APC standard with Prince Syn... and it played...fine. (He is hybriding now). Now that i am thinking of it, a crisper multi or a good syn could work well with the PC... almost like an old school feel (sorry, i'm 34... all we really had back in the day was syn).

Hey if you are sparing sets of Cyber...:grin: i got sets of NRG2 17g if you are experimenting with hybrids... swap???;)

squints
04-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I've only played with synth gut on my pure control. I've actually stopped using the racquet, but i liked the feel, power, and spin i got from using synth gut. It's been awhile so i can't really remember my tension or the string. I'm assuming it was wilson nxt, don't remember which one is all.

oh and i refrained from purposely from using abbreviations like pc, ps, cause i keep thinking its prestige classic, or pro staff. haha

jcstennis
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I've only played with synth gut on my pure control. I've actually stopped using the racquet, but i liked the feel, power, and spin i got from using synth gut. It's been awhile so i can't really remember my tension or the string. I'm assuming it was wilson nxt, don't remember which one is all.

which racquet are u using now? Why did you stop using the PC?:mad: ;)

Bottle Rocket
04-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I've got a Gamma X-2 and unless doing a hybrid always do one-piece jobs...

I am about to write something up in the string forum about the Cyber Flash...

I was playing in 35 degree weather tonight so my opinion might be a little skewed, but so far, I am not real impressed with this string.

I hate that I like Babolats, but I do. I can't find anything else that I play better with or anything that helps me enjoy the game more. I have no choice but to use these rackets!

Everyone that has ever hit with my sticks has felt comfortable with them pretty quick... I've been beat by people using my own rackets.