PDA

View Full Version : Head light and instability?

pow
04-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Why are head heavy racquets "more stable at baseline"?
Aren't many player racquets head light and stable anyways?
For example, although I've never hit with a K90 before, I've heard it's famous for its stability.

The nblade, however, is a good example of even balanced/head heavy racquets that are stable at baseline.

What specs make a racquet stable at groundstrokes?

fgs
04-05-2007, 06:06 PM
pow,
it's not so much the balance that gives stability but the weight and even more so the swingweight.
if you take a full swing at the ball and have a high swingweight (no matter the balance), you are going to have a stable racquet on your groundstrokes. this applies even for lighter racquets, which in turn would tend to be more evenly balanced or even slightly headheavy (like moya's) in order to provide that stability on groundies.
when at the net, you'll look into trouble with a light racquet on a fast shot and you wouldn't really want a headheavy racquet for issues of maneuverability. here, a higher static weight coupled with a headlight balance would in most of the cases be the optimum.

lawrence
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
adding onto that, imo i think HL racquets can be better for the baseline also.. you dont get as much power but you can flick it more, and direct it where you want
thats just my opinion i could be wrong tho

fgs
04-06-2007, 07:45 AM
lawrence,
from the baseline you need swingweight. you either get that with heavier headlight racquets or with lighter headheavy racquets. hence, headlight racquets can be good too from the baseline, provided they have some weight behind them, so you get a decent swingweight.
this sort of headlight balance and higher weight would also be good on volleys.

Alafter
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Mmmmmmm good one

asintu
04-06-2007, 08:45 AM
lawrence,
from the baseline you need swingweight. you either get that with heavier headlight racquets or with lighter headheavy racquets. hence, headlight racquets can be good too from the baseline, provided they have some weight behind them, so you get a decent swingweight.
this sort of headlight balance and higher weight would also be good on volleys.

that makes perfect sense