PDA

View Full Version : quick question about racquet material composition

The Gorilla
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
When racquet specs say they are made of,( take the 6.0.85 for eg), 80% graphite and 20% kevlar, does this mean it is made of a graphite/kevlar alloy or that parts are made of kevlar and other parts of graphite?

The Gorilla
04-06-2007, 07:07 AM
wil someone please just answer this one way or the other?

dacrymn
04-06-2007, 07:26 AM
It depends. The DNX series, for instance, specifically say that the darker colored areas have "DNX" in them. Other rackets would probably have a mix. BTW, i think "alloy" only applies to metals? Anyway, where the materials are located shouldn't matter that much.
________
Mercedes-Benz W220 specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W220)

NoBadMojo
04-06-2007, 07:48 AM
When racquet specs say they are made of,( take the 6.0.85 for eg), 80% graphite and 20% kevlar, does this mean it is made of a graphite/kevlar alloy or that parts are made of kevlar and other parts of graphite?

If I understand your question properly, when a company says their frame is 80% graphite/20% kevlar, that means that 80% of the composition of the racquet which isnt filler, resins, and binders is composed of graphite fibres..this is in the form of sheets of 'prepreg' which are cooked in the mold and 'layed up' in different manners depending upon the desired results. in the case of the DNX, that seems to be a bit different as the material is fused to the frame rather than being a part of the layup

Steve Huff
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
It really depends a lot on the detail the company puts into the racket. Some "100%" graphite rackets flex just as much as fiberglass because of the short fibers used to make it. Some rackets are graphite with Kevlar or Titanium added in certain areas to stiffen them or give them a different feel etc. I'd say that rackets in a certain price category have more development in them. Anyone can make a graphite racket. It's how they lay it up and in some cases, what and where other materials are added that justifies their expense (that, plus all the advertising).