PDA

View Full Version : need advice pls...

gvanzky
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
hi! i have been using pro staff 6.1 classic for a long time. then i switch with the hyper pro staff 6.1 & used it for at least 2 yrs. but for some reason i keep on going back to the classic because of the feel. i stop playing for a while because of sickness. now that i am back, i notice that my arm starts to bother me, specially my shoulder and i think if i will keep on going with this racquet, i will further hurt myself. do you guys think that i need to switch to a new racquet or i just need conditioning and lifting weights. i am a 4.0- 4.5ish & try to consider that i am no longer on my teens. i am short about 5'5" and 138lbs. if you recommend a new racquet, what would it be?

fgs
04-06-2007, 07:54 AM
can it be that you just overdid? being happy to be back at the game you just played too much too soon too often.

gvanzky
04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
can it be that you just overdid? being happy to be back at the game you just played too much too soon too often.

really don't know if i over did it, but i just played for about 1 hour & 1/2 ish, at least twice a week for about a month now. it feels like the racquet is pulling my shoulder out when i am serving due to the weight i think.

fgs
04-06-2007, 09:05 AM
i also have pro staff classics 6.1 but i'm not playing them anymore. i now use the nblade which is lighter. i don't have any shoulder or elbow issues, just got into trouble when i tested some polys, but that went away as soon as i got back to my usual multi set-up.
try something lighter and see how it feels. it could also be your timing due to the time off.

gvanzky
04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
i also have pro staff classics 6.1 but i'm not playing them anymore. i now use the nblade which is lighter. i don't have any shoulder or elbow issues, just got into trouble when i tested some polys, but that went away as soon as i got back to my usual multi set-up.
try something lighter and see how it feels. it could also be your timing due to the time off.

how's the nblade compare to ps 6.1 from feel, power " specially on service" and spin. by the way, i was using regular synthetic before, gosen og or bab sup fine, then switch to supex premier ace and blue gear. 17g @ 54lbs mains & 18g synthetic supex loved the string.

fgs
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM
the ps 6.1 is a 95, my blades are 106, but i have extensively demoed the 98. the feel is somehow familiar, i don't know how to put it. they are still different, the blade being flexier plays somehow not better but more comfy, but that does not imply lazy - i hope my words make some sense to you.
the power is there on the blades too, but that's your input - if you whack it hard it goes hard, if you play it soft it goes soft, both racquets are somehow an extension of your hand and not an amplification thereof. spin is better with the blade.
i use to play soft multis like the nxt tour and string at low tensions (51lbs mains and 49lbs crosses).

fuzz nation
04-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm a long time 6.1 Classic user, but in the last year or two I've really fallen for more flexible frames. I can certainly understand why that nBlade is a lot more comfortable to hit with, since it's maybe 12 points more flexible than the Prostaff.

My first suspicion about your shoulder pain is that you're just getting back after a break and the racquet that you're swinging is one of the heaviest ones out there. Your shoulder will probably hurt a little more until your timing gets back to where it needs to be, but if this pain appears to be chronic, then you might need to switch. If by any chance you have poly or kevlar in that frame, get rid of it (hurry!) and find some thin synthetic gut or multifiber instead.

Two things that ought to make you more comfortable are either slightly less weight or more flex in your racquet. The nBlade is an example of something with both as are the Volkl C-10 Pro and Tour 10 Gen II. I recently tried a Prince O3 Hybrid Tour and the first thing that occurred to me was that it felt like my Prostaff on a diet. Nice frame. If you've been hitting with those heavier racquets for a long time, you may not do well going lighter than 12 oz - when I tried a few light ones, they were too twitchy and unstable for me. Also, don't be surprised if a frame with less weight, more flex, or both seems to have less power - that's the tradeoff, but you may find more control in something that gives you more spin.

Moderate lifting will keep you more sound over the long run regardless of what you hit with and if you decide to switch, demo everything you can get your hands on.

gvanzky
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
thanx guys for your input. i will try to condition myself and already send my order for a demo c-10 gen II, 300g m-fil, O3 tour 100, rd ti-80. i did try some racquets already like diablo tour 100, like it, but it's a lil bit unstable specially if you hit the upper haft of the racquet. rdx 500 mp, lack of spin and feels very stiff. definitely i will try the nblade next demo. hope this pain on my shoulder will go away. thanx again.