PDA

View Full Version : tournament and only one opponent in my draw

raiden031
04-06-2007, 05:15 AM
I am signed up for a tournament with only one opponent. The draw has us just playing a finals match. So does that mean I spend the $50+ entry fee and only get to play at-most 1 match? Do they typically do anything to compensate for the poor turnout?

goober
04-06-2007, 05:21 AM
I am signed up for a tournament with only one opponent. The draw has us just playing a finals match. So does that mean I spend the $50+ entry fee and only get to play at-most 1 match? Do they typically do anything to compensate for the poor turnout?

The TD should have either refunded your money or move you both to a higher division where there were more competitors. Two person tourney is ridiculous. If 3-4 people signed up you could do round robin.

raiden031
04-06-2007, 05:23 AM
The TD should have either refunded your money or move you both to a higher division where there were more competitors. Two person tourney is ridiculous. If 3-4 people signed up you could do round robin.

Playing another division is not an option...other than only 1 NTRP level, there are junior draws as well as age draws, none of which I would be eligible for.

I don't think I am going to be refunded any money, but I'm hoping maybe I get something like a credit towards a future tournament or at least an exhibition match on their courts or something. But I have no idea since its my first tournament.

goober
04-06-2007, 05:28 AM
Playing another division is not an option...other than only 1 NTRP level, there are junior draws as well as age draws, none of which I would be eligible for.

I don't think I am going to be refunded any money, but I'm hoping maybe I get something like a credit towards a future tournament or at least an exhibition match on their courts or something. But I have no idea since its my first tournament.

sounds like a dinky tourney. Only one NTRP level? You could always play in the open level. If you are guaranteed 2 matches I would seriously think about it. At a lot of the small tourneys the open levels have weaker players than normal signing up in the opens. You probably will not get a refund or a credit since these guys love to take your money.

raiden031
04-06-2007, 05:41 AM
sounds like a dinky tourney. Only one NTRP level? You could always play in the open level. If you are guaranteed 2 matches I would seriously think about it. At a lot of the small tourneys the open levels have weaker players than normal signing up in the opens. You probably will not get a refund or a credit since these guys love to take your money.

There's no open draw as well. So I am stuck playing in this one draw because that is all I am eligible for. I guess it is a lesson learned.

goober
04-06-2007, 05:47 AM
There's no open draw as well. So I am stuck playing in this one draw because that is all I am eligible for. I guess it is a lesson learned.
next time what I would do is look at last years turn out on the USTA website to give you an idea o expected turn out. Then wait till the last day of sign ups and see how many people are signing up in your division before you make your decision.

spot
04-06-2007, 06:05 AM
ask for a refund.

Jracer77
04-06-2007, 09:13 AM
If it's the tournament I'm thinking of they run them weekly as sort of an afterthought, moneymaker type deal. But you will get a little trophy if you win!! Also it seems the other guy is listed as a 3.5, but playing in a 3.0 tourney?

Raiden.Kaminari
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Actually, tournaments rarely make money, if ever.

If the tournament's focus is only on money, players will realize the poor environment (ie. no free food or drinks, no tournament shirts, etc.) is not worth the money being spent and no longer participate the next year.

But $50 is pretty steep for a tournament fee.

OrangeOne
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
next time what I would do is look at last years turn out on the USTA website to give you an idea o expected turn out. Then wait till the last day of sign ups and see how many people are signing up in your division before you make your decision.

Speaking as someone who sometimes runs sporting events, I seriously hate the above logic.... I personally feel so many events fail as a result of everyone camping on the last day, and no-one signing up because....no-one else has! Spiral of failure, right there.

That said, to prevent the above being needed, a tournament should have a small-draw rule (less than 4 or more and not play, change grades, refund etc etc). Go speak to the TD or similar and point out that $100 (two players paying $50) is an obscene amount for a single tournament match with not even the chance of another....

Cindysphinx
04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Raiden, what tournament is this, if you don't mind.

Also, is it coming up soon? If the registration deadline hasn't passed, a few more might sign on.

If it really is just the two of you, I'd ask for my money back.

LoveThisGame
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
When senior age bracket tournaments started dwindling in style, at the time I signed up I made it conditional that there needed to be at least 6 entries (counting me) else I would not enter.

IOW, I wanted to play and I wanted to support the tournament, but I wanted a realistic size draw. At least at that time, I was allowed to hold off paying until I showed up at the tournament to play.

JHBKLYN
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Speaking as someone who sometimes runs sporting events, I seriously hate the above logic.... I personally feel so many events fail as a result of everyone camping on the last day, and no-one signing up because....no-one else has! Spiral of failure, right there.

That said, to prevent the above being needed, a tournament should have a small-draw rule (less than 4 or more and not play, change grades, refund etc etc). Go speak to the TD or similar and point out that $100 (two players paying $50) is an obscene amount for a single tournament match with not even the chance of another....

I was thinking the same thing. 20 people may want to sign at the last minute but all are waiting for the 3rd guy to sign up and in the end, nobody signs up!

$50 is cheap! Majority of tournaments in NYC are $65 and one has it at $70!

JHBKLYN
04-06-2007, 07:24 PM

Too bad you can't contact the other guy, get a refund, go find a court and play him for money. :)

goober
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM

Well I was just giving him some ideas:)

Personally I never do this because I have never been in a tournament with only 2 people in the entire NTRP division. Even the smallest ones I enter have had like 40 + sign up for the varying NTRP levels.

I would be very upset to pay $50 to play 1 person. Maybe the very high fees are why so few people are signing up?

AndrewD
04-07-2007, 01:38 AM
the poor environment (ie. no free food or drinks, no tournament shirts, etc.)

Tournaments actually provide food, drink and special t-shirts? People actually expect them ?

goober
04-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Tournaments actually provide food, drink and special t-shirts? People actually expect them ?

Yes the vast majority of tourneys I have played have tourney Tshirts, food and water. Some have even more goodies but you have to remember we are paying $30-50 so I don't think it is unreasonable at all.

J011yroger
04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Generally if you get 3 signups they do round robin, 4 they play it. But I really think anything short of 16 is pretty lame.

J

rasajadad
04-08-2007, 03:54 AM
How I would answer the OP depends on whether or not he or she is pursuing a ranking. In the 4.5's or the 50's, I need to play 4 tournaments with one of the four being "designated". As I live in Vermont, I always had to travel a long distance in order to play. SOmetimes, I wait until close to the deadline and ask the TD how many other entries they have, then decide. On the other hand, sometimes I don't know when I'll get enough "honey Credits" from my wife in order to be allowed to go away for the weekend. So sometimes I play events where there is only two in the draw.