PDA

View Full Version : APD - Can't keep the ball in the court

thefan
04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Is it just me or is it impossible to keep the ball in the court with the APD unless you put a huge amount of topspin on it. The only other racquet I have is the PS85 and I rotate between them. I've adjusted to put a huge amount of topspin on my forhand. BUt the 2hbh is where I have trouble - the ball keeps flying off the court... Is this common with the apd?
and sry I dont know the string tension on my apd

RLFore
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Those are two very different racquets:
The APD compared to the PS85 and has a bit more power which plays more like a tweener racquet unless you put a lot of topspin on the ball like Rafa and like what you've adjust too. But most people with a 2hbh hit the ball flattish and is understandable if you hit the ball long on the bh where on the fh you adjusted by more topspin. So adjust on the bh side like you did with the fh and practice brushing up on the ball for more topspin.

jace112
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
you just need to adjust your strokes to this kind of powerful frames. I also have a PS85 and an APD

VGP
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
simple - shorten your swing and/or don't swing as hard.

jace112
04-06-2007, 12:51 PM
simple - shorten your swing and/or don't swing as hard.
i don't agree, you keep your long and hard swings with powerful frames if you hit with the proper spin technique.

thefan
04-06-2007, 01:49 PM
So adjust on the bh side like you did with the fh and practice brushing up on the ball for more topspin.

Everytime I try brushing up on the ball with my 2hbh, I either catch the frame and lob it 2 miles into the air or rocket the ball into the net. Any one have any videos of the brushing technique on the 2hbh.

Thanks

BreakPoint
04-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Is it just me or is it impossible to keep the ball in the court with the APD unless you put a huge amount of topspin on it. The only other racquet I have is the PS85 and I rotate between them. I've adjusted to put a huge amount of topspin on my forhand. BUt the 2hbh is where I have trouble - the ball keeps flying off the court... Is this common with the apd?
and sry I dont know the string tension on my apd
This is happening because you're switching back and forth between the APD and the PS 6.0 85. The PS 6.0 requires a full, huge, flattish swing, whereas, the APD doesn't. You need to choose one or the other and then stick with it to develop the appropriate strokes for that particular racquet.

RLFore
04-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Everytime I try brushing up on the ball with my 2hbh, I either catch the frame and lob it 2 miles into the air or rocket the ball into the net. Any one have any videos of the brushing technique on the 2hbh.

Thanks

Its more like driving through the ball while brushing up for the topspin to drive the ball deep and with good pace. Watch Djokovic and Roddick's bh, you can find video of Roddick on YouTube.

Bottle Rocket
04-06-2007, 02:07 PM
It is interesting there are so many people playing with the PS 85 as well as the APD. It makes you wonder what the motivations of these people are. Anyway...

The APD is one of the most powerful frames out there. In its weight and size category, it is the most powerful racket on the market.

With these Babolats, you must take full cuts at the ball. You need racket speed and you need to impart spin, that is what they are made for. In that respect, they are terribly unforgiving. If you just slap the ball, you won't find any control. You most likely won't find the court either.

You need a healthy swing, usually with a more closed racket face compared with a swing of your PS 85. The spin and power potential on the APD and is pretty spectacular, just like all the Bab's, once you've got it under control.

If you find that it doesn't fit your style, and it looks like it might not, there is nothing wrong with that.

Why the switch?

nickb
04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
"This is happening because you're switching back and forth between the APD and the PS 6.0 85. The PS 6.0 requires a full, huge, flattish swing, whereas, the APD doesn't. You need to choose one or the other and then stick with it to develop the appropriate strokes for that particular racquet."

This is good advice. The two rackets couldnt be more different. If you hit flat and have a medium-long swing go with the 85, if you are more of a topspin baseliner id go with the APD and string it tighter/try to hit with more spin.

theRadical
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
cmon dude, its not the raquet...

Bottle Rocket
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I completely disagree with all posts that say you can't have long powerful swings with hte Babalats. I feel like that is exactly their intended purpose and that brings the best results with them. The guys with short slappy shots have terrible results with them.

If you hit the ball harder with a proper swing that will bring a proportionate amount of spin to keep the ball in.

I think someone could do a better job explaining what I am trying to say... Anybody want to help me out here?

thefan
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
^ Yeah, I agree that you need a long fast swing,preferbably a western or SW grip, to operate the APD(I havent tried any other babolat).
I just have trouble with the backhand side because I use a 2hbh and have a short backswing.

nickb
04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
"I completely disagree with all posts that say you can't have long powerful swings with hte Babalats. I feel like that is exactly their intended purpose and that brings the best results with them. The guys with short slappy shots have terrible results with them.

If you hit the ball harder with a proper swing that will bring a proportionate amount of spin to keep the ball in.

I think someone could do a better job explaining what I am trying to say... Anybody want to help me out here?"

I agree with you, the point is you need a long swing to generate topspin which you need to keep the ball in with the APD. My veiw is that you need a long swing with both sticks but if the original poster plays with alot of top id go with the APD.

thefan
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
This is happening because you're switching back and forth between the APD and the PS 6.0 85. The PS 6.0 requires a full, huge, flattish swing, whereas, the APD doesn't. You need to choose one or the other and then stick with it to develop the appropriate strokes for that particular racquet.

Are the ps85 and the apd really that different?
They are both different in terms of power level but dont you still need a long full swing to operate both the ps85 and the apd?

AndrewD
04-06-2007, 02:57 PM
The PS 6.0 requires a full, huge, flattish swing, whereas, the APD doesn't. You need to choose one or the other and then stick with it to develop the appropriate strokes for that particular racquet.

To get the most out of either racquet you need to use a full stroke. If you don't intend to maximise their potential or aren't capable of doing so then you can use short, choppy, crappy strokes - it will make no difference whatsoever. The ball will still travel over the net, you'll still be able to control it and you'll still be able to play a reasonable game of tennis - just as those players who didn't have full, huge, flattish swings managed to do with wooden racquets (if you grew up in that era you'll know exactly what I'm talking about).

The APD does require you to have the ability to use spin for control. If you haven't got the skill then stick to the PS85. However, there is no reason why you can't hit a predominantly flatter ball when using the APD or PD. I have a full, fast swing, use a PD+ but don't apply excess topspin, don't string the racquet overly tight and dont use a poly. Unless I catch a ball late I have absolutely no trouble controlling my shots.

dylo
04-06-2007, 03:38 PM
you dont necessarily hav to hit the ball hard. instead, try to really limit ball contact and brush up and over the ball, not just up. you could also try different strings or a higher tensio

fgs
04-07-2007, 02:48 AM
it's been quite a while since i demoed the apd adn with my eastern grips i could not make friends with it in spite of hitting heavy topspin. i had pro staffs classic 6.1 95, and when i demoed a year and a half back i settled for the n6.1 95 over the apd and a few others. in the mean time i've switched to nblades 106. so that's the "introductory" part of my take.
i agree with the other posters suggesting that you need a full swing with the apd - it is a very powerfull racquet, but not the sort of rocket launcher the n1 is for instance. this is a players racquet in spite of its power level, not a granny stick.
the difference in swing is that it should be very steep from low to high with the apd. the western grips and windshieldwiper-stroke are best suited to control the power levels of this stick. now, regarding the backhand that gives 'thefan' trouble - imagine hitting with your left hand a forehand as described above, than put your right hand (i assume you're a righthander, if not, just reverse hands) on the grip and you're done - with the basic motion of course. after reasonable practice you'll find you hit the court as well. if you have any chance, watch petrova on her backhand - it's the best that comes to my mind in trying to illustrate what i've written.
there is also a video-section on usta player development where you can find videos of the strokes of the big names in the game - you might want to take a look at those too - very instructional.