PDA

View Full Version : I have tried almost EVERYTHING on TW, yet I still can't seem to find a racquet - help

fujitsu77
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Racquets I have tried:

Babolat Racquets

Babolat AeroPro Drive - not enough control, too stiff
Babolat AeroPro Control - VERY stiff
Babolat Pure Drive Standard - very stiff, not enough control from the ground
Babolat Pure Drive Roddick - good control for groundies, but stiffness and volleys were a problem

Dunlop Racquets

Dunlop Aerogel 2Hundred - tight string pattern ment reduction of spin on slice serve and less topspin on groundies
Dunlop Aerogel 5Hundred Tour - didn't like the feel and too powerful
Dunlop M-Fil 200 - SW was high, tight string pattern
Dunlop 200G - not as stable as M-Fil, string pattern

Fischer Racquets

Fischer M Speed Pro Number One - didn't like the very muted feel, couldn't serve well with it

Head Racquets

Head MicroGEL Extreme Pro - my forehands flew with this racquet
Head Flexpoint Radical - string pattern, too light, liked the LM better
Head Flexpoint Radical Tour - gave me TE
Head Flexpoint Prestige - string pattern, didn't like feel that much
Head Liquidmetal Prestige - string pattern, had good feel but my slice serve just didn't have the same movement
Head Liquidmetal Radical - string pattern, too light
Head Liquidmetal Instinct - was OK, didn't like beam thickness, wasn't the best for my stroke

Prince Racquets

Prince O3 Speedport Red - too light, too little control
Prince O3 Hybrid Tour - never got into a groove w/ this racquet
Prince O3 Tour - couldn't get used to serving and vollying with this racquet
Prince O3 White - thickness, want something with a bit less power, light
Prince O3 Red - very light and stiff
Prince Tour NXG Graphite (Mid and OS) - hated the mid, the OS is OK but it lacks control and feel
POG (Mid and OS) - love the OS interms of feel, but its a bit too heavy
Prince Tour Diablo MP - felt "frail" in my hands, didn't like the extended length
Prince Shark - no control or feel

Tecnifibre Racquets

Tecnifibre TFight 335 (both string patterns) - same as 320 (a bit more plow - through but a bit heavier)
Tecnifibre TFight 320 (both string patterns) - OK racquet, didn't like the 18 x 20 but the other string pattern wasn't that bad

Wilson Racquets

Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (16 x 18) - felt stiff and like a board
Wilson nSix-One Tour 90 - didn't like the very mushy feel
Wilson nSix-One 95 (16 x 18) - not bad but I would like something with less power and a bit more menuverability
Wilson nPro Open - too light and unstable
Wilson nPro Surge - too light and unstable, also didn't like the feel

Yonex Racquets

Yonex RDS 001 (Mid and MP) - I didn't like the mid, but the MP was pretty good. I would have got it but it really lacked in plow-through, and thus, I could not be aggressive with this racquet
Yonex RDX 500 (Mid and MP) - Liked the mid better than the MP, has a good feel but serves were terrible

Well, as you can see, I have tried a lot of racquets, but I still have not found a racquet that suits me.

I am an aggressive baseliner who relies on a big serve (flat and slice) and placement to win points.

(I have a 2h backhand if this helps).

Also, I really love racquets with a solid, "old-school" feel.

Racquets that interest me:

RDS 002 Tour
nBlade
(That is it for now)

Please help!! I am desperate ;).

Thanks

fujitsu77

IT WAS IN!!!
04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Gamma Big Bubba, Wilson JK Prostaff:p

haerdalis
04-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Solid old school feel, but you havent tried any Prokennex or Volkl.
You might find what you are looking for there.

drakulie
04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
With all the racquets you have tried, my advice is to quit paying, and take up another sport.

jdeloach
04-06-2007, 01:50 PM
What are some of the things that you like from those different racquet? Maybe if you take the positives from different racquets, then you can find one that has all of the features you like.

RLFore
04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Fujitsu77,

Can you state what you like and donn't like of all those racquets. Or pros and cons of each racquet you've tried. If you like your old racquet better, maybe stick to that. What are you playing now? You've done your homework in demoing. Now just need to find a compromise or a racquet that suits all the aspects you like of the racquets you've demoed.

LarougeNY
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
you haven't tried the 300 series from dunlop, they're great rackets

Also the fischer mspeed 98s a great racket as well, what didn't you like about it?

Maybe the Purestorm and the Prostaff 95/85 would work out for you.

TalkingTennis91
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Dude, I don't think most professionals go through that many racquets and still don't find one that they like.

Perhaps certain aspects of your game may be handicapping your judgement for racquets?

samster
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
you might like the RDS 002 Tour version; sounds like a good fit for your game. Or you might try the Ti-80 that has a solid serve and groundies.

0d1n
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
It's not the racquet then ... :). Advice...try some more Fischer and some Volkls. If you can't find anything after that...just pick one and play the game...or try a freaking Vantage if you know what type of specs you like (even though your demo list is all over the board in specs)

BreakPoint
04-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I think you're asking too much from a racquet as it sounds like you're expecting the racquet to do all the work for you and to win matches for you. When it really comes down to it, it's you that wins the matches and not your racquet, as long as you're using something reasonable and that you're accustomed to. More than anything else, it's strategy, mental toughness, and conditioning that wins matches.

With that said, why not give the PS 6.0 95 or even the K90 a try?

stormholloway
04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
With all the racquets you have tried, my advice is to quit paying, and take up another sport.

Yeah. Seems like the only racquets he hasn't tried are made of wood.

Perhaps you should try a Wilson T2000 if you haven't tried that.

pow
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Try the nblades, 106 and 98.

fujitsu77
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
First off, thanks for all the quick responses. I really appreciate it.

Some of the things I like in a racquet:

Well, I really love control oriented racquets, such as my POG OS. The thing I don't like about my POG is the weight, and its lack of serving ability (especially for flat, hard serves). I want a racquet that I can bring around consistently for a good 2 to 2.5 hours (basically, I want a racquet in the 11.7oz to 12.2oz range). I also want this racquet to have a solid, stable feel. Also, I like racquets that put weight behind the ball (in other words, have a nice "plow through" effect - this is why I didn't like the RDS 001).

Also, this racquet has to allow me to hit good topspin forehands, but at the same time, allow me to flatten out and go for winners when the time is right (thus, I prefer a 16 x 19 string pattern).

Finally, the racquets above don't prevent me from winning matches. I play regularly and enojoy the sport to its fullest extent. I also have a coach and practice about 8 - 10 hours a week, so I don't think my technique is the problem. Its just that I don't like certain characteristics of many of these racquets, and thus don't like them :(.

nyc
04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
sounds like you know what specs you like. Vantage?

theRadical
04-06-2007, 02:21 PM
id go with a wood racquet, its got all the old school feel your looking for :-)

fujitsu77
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Just added my opinons of each of the above racquets.

Hope this helps,

fujitsu77

vkartikv
04-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Stick with one - Yes, stick with one!! Coming from someone like me that probably does not hold much water but I have been playing with only 2 racquets in the last few months, no changes and my game has pretty much gelled around what these frames can do for me. You can't dislike ALL of those racquets, pick the one you like the most and develop your game with it

AndrewD
04-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Babolat Racquets:
Pure Control
(I'd also, just out of curiousity, try one of the extended length racquets)

Volkl Racquets:
DNX 10 Mid and MP

Wilson Racquets:
nBlade
PS 6.0 95
Hyper ProStaff 6.1 MP (still available in some places)

ProKennex Racquets:
Redondo (if ever available)

jamauss
04-06-2007, 03:21 PM
You didn't like the RDS 001's "plow through" ability? Not enough weight behind it?

wow, most people I let play with mine say it's too heavy for them. Why not just get the RDS 001 and add some lead to it?

fujitsu77
04-06-2007, 03:24 PM
You didn't like the RDS 001's "plow through" ability? Not enough weight behind it?

wow, most people I let play with mine say it's too heavy for them. Why not just get the RDS 001 and add some lead to it?

I tried this, but it didn't seem to effect the racquet much. That's why I like the idea of the 002 tour. It seems as if the tour is just a 001 w/ added weight.

( I'm coming off a 12.8 oz racquet, so the 001 feels VERY light to me).

Lindros13
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
If you do end up trying Volkl, as others have suggested, I'm curious to hear your comments about the Volkl BB10, which I recently started using. Most people rave about the DNX models, but I've found the BB10 to fit my game very well. Similar to you, I like a more open string pattern for generating good topspin, and I definitely like the "plough through" effect that a heftier racquet can provide. The Bab APC gave me great plough through effect, but yes, very stiff. Granted, the BB10 is only 11.2 ounces (about a half ounce lighter than your ideal range you stated), but it feels stable even against hard hitters, hard serves, off center shots, etc. And it's definitely comfortable for long hitting sessions, as most Volkl's are known to be arm friendly.

BkK_b0y14
04-06-2007, 05:16 PM
hmm how bout pk redondo mid?

Redflea
04-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Unbelievable that you're still interested in demoing after all those...

Second the Volkl recommendation since you seem to have skipped them...DN9MP is definitely worth a look, and maybe the DNX 10 MP (10 is 18/20, but didn't keep me from generating spin). Tour10Gen2 as well. Those are my three fav Volkls, they all are very solid, and I think in the weight range you want.

BreakPoint
04-06-2007, 07:12 PM
I tried this, but it didn't seem to effect the racquet much. That's why I like the idea of the 002 tour. It seems as if the tour is just a 001 w/ added weight.

Then the RDS 002 Tour will also feel very light to you. I found it to be too light for me even though my regular Asian nCode 90 is only 12.1 oz.

Noveson
04-06-2007, 07:12 PM
It says the POG is your holy grail right in your signature, this is a joke. Save some money and get some lessons.

"I tried this, but it didn't seem to effect the racquet much. That's why I like the idea of the 002 tour. It seems as if the tour is just a 001 w/ added weight.

ALL OF US SHOULD PLAY WITH THE GAMMA BIG BUBBA!!! "

batcrj
04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Avery M5. Everything your looking for. Solid old school feel in a 16 X 19. Easy spin as well as plow through.

fujitsu77
04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
It says the POG is your holy grail right in your signature, this is a joke. Save some money and get some lessons.

"I tried this, but it didn't seem to effect the racquet much. That's why I like the idea of the 002 tour. It seems as if the tour is just a 001 w/ added weight.

ALL OF US SHOULD PLAY WITH THE GAMMA BIG BUBBA!!! "

First off, I do take lessons, as I said in an earlier post.

Also, I need to edit that out of my sig. I love the POG OS, its just too heavy.

abenguyen
04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
i think you're too picky... i mean you tried 34 different racquets and didn't like one of them

Mick
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
at least he doesn't care about how the racquet looks. Some people do. I do too to a certain extent :)

bluegrasser
04-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth:p

Redflea
04-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I only buy pretty racquets... ;)

A friend took his girlfriend stereo shopping years ago...got home and he was absolutely fuming while she was very happy. Reason? He had negotiated an absolute killer price for her on a close-out system that he said was the deal of a lifetime.

She refused to get it. Why? She said it was the wrong color. She bought another lesser system for more money that matched her room's color scheme better. Completely happy.

Just so sad (yet so funny) to watch my buddy pulling his hair out about the incredible deal that got away... :)

Get off his case, folks. He's a demo addict, and will either find a 12-Step program or continue until he gets the right "high."

IT WAS IN!!!
04-06-2007, 08:14 PM
suggestion 1: don't waste much more money on demoing ;)
suggestion 2: you love your POGs but they are too heavy so maybe you might consider lifting some weights and build your upper body strength.
suggestion 3: buy another POG from tw and ask them to sell you the one most like their specs say.
suggestion 4: if you really want to get something else try the Volkl C10 Pro MP, Volkl DNX 10 MP (DNX9 was garbage)

kanjii
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM
PD+ or Aeropro Drive with Pro Hurricane Tour...that may help with stiffness...or lead tape can be your friend.

anirut
04-07-2007, 02:09 AM
Fujitsu77,

I have some specs here for you.

Head Size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight:
- With Bumper: 12.1oz / 344g
- Without Bumper: 11.7 oz/332g
Balance:
- With Bumper: 8pts Head Light
- Without Bumper: 11pts Head Light
Swingweight:
- With Bumper: 335
- Without Bumper: 310
Stiffness: 63
Beam Width: 20mm Straight Beam
Composition: 80% Graphite/20% Kevlar w/Hardwood Spine
Power Level: Low
Swing Speed: Fast
Grip Type: Perforated Synthetic
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 18 Crosses
String Tension: 52-68 pounds

If you thing the spec looks good and you don't choose rackets by the brand ...

That's the spec of the PK Core 1 #6. May be hard to find, but, for sure, PK's still in business.

It plays really nice. You can hit out. You can get serious spins. All-in-one package. Don't let the 335 SW scare you. It plays as easy as my 320 SW Redondo.

akwila
04-07-2007, 02:38 AM
This is the answer!

sloe_torture
04-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Why don't you replace the bumper on your POG with individual grommets? You'll have a lighter racquet that will also allow you to place weight in the hoop of the frame, giving the plow-through that you require.
How long do you demo each racquet? I sometimes spend 10 hours or more with a racquet before rejecting it.
Have you also tried different string and/or weight setups?

KingOfTennis
04-07-2007, 03:13 AM
wow u r soo demanding :P U shuld try the K90 even tho u didnt like the K95

Sigi
04-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Based on everything you have said, here are my recommendations:

Gamma Ipex 7.0 - would fit you perfectly

Avery m3 or m5

ProKennex Ki5 or 5g

Also it appears that racquets strung below the midrange would also suit you better--that allows for a more of an "old school" feel.

fgs
04-07-2007, 04:52 AM
fujitsu77,
first i'd recommend you try the nblade, either the 98 or the 106. my personal feeling tells me you'd like the 106 more (as i did by the way).
point i want to make is that while it is generally true that a 16mains stringbed offers better access to spin, there are quite a few racquets out there with 18mains that play all the spin you want - i have an extreme topspin style (my strings last max. 8hrs. with stringsavers!) and get perfectly along with the nblade 106. the stringpattern will give you 5% more spin with the same technique at the best. if you go to a pure drive, you need more spin to keep the ball in the court, but then you change the hitting technique, it's not the stick that makes the spin.
just give it a try. from the baseline i think you'll feel familiar with it right from the first hit, at the net you might want some 6g of lead added to the hoop for absolute stability (also improves baseline hitting - i have gone to 12g, but added a leathergrip, therefore i recommended 6g of lead).

psp2
04-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Racquets I have tried:

Babolat Racquets

Babolat Pure Drive Roddick - good control for groundies, but stiffness and volleys were a problem

Dunlop Racquets

Dunlop Aerogel 2Hundred - tight string pattern ment reduction of spin on slice serve and less topspin on groundies

Fischer Racquets

Fischer M Speed Pro Number One - didn't like the very muted feel, couldn't serve well with it

Head Racquets

Head Liquidmetal Prestige - string pattern, had good feel but my slice serve just didn't have the same movement
Head Liquidmetal Instinct - was OK, didn't like beam thickness, wasn't the best for my stroke

Prince Racquets

Prince Tour NXG Graphite (Mid and OS) - hated the mid, the OS is OK but it lacks control and feel
Prince Tour Diablo MP - felt "frail" in my hands, didn't like the extended length

Tecnifibre Racquets

Tecnifibre TFight 335 (both string patterns) - same as 320 (a bit more plow - through but a bit heavier)
Tecnifibre TFight 320 (both string patterns) - OK racquet, didn't like the 18 x 20 but the other string pattern wasn't that bad

Wilson Racquets

Wilson nSix-One 95 (16 x 18) - not bad but I would like something with less power and a bit more menuverability

Yonex Racquets

Yonex RDS 001 (Mid and MP) - I didn't like the mid, but the MP was pretty good. I would have got it but it really lacked in plow-through, and thus, I could not be aggressive with this racquet
Yonex RDX 500 (Mid and MP) - Liked the mid better than the MP, has a good feel but serves were terrible

Well, as you can see, I have tried a lot of racquets, but I still have not found a racquet that suits me.

I am an aggressive baseliner who relies on a big serve (flat and slice) and placement to win points.

RDS 002 Tour
nBlade
(That is it for now)

Thanks

fujitsu77

Did you ever think that it's NOT the racquet? You should take few steps back and re-evaluate your game.

drakulie
04-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth:p

Sorry, I didn't mean to, :)

Hewitt Aussie
04-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Well, I really love control oriented racquets, such as my POG OS. The thing I don't like about my POG is the weight, and its lack of serving ability (especially for flat, hard serves). I want a racquet that I can bring around consistently for a good 2 to 2.5 hours (basically, I want a racquet in the 11.7oz to 12.2oz range). I also want this racquet to have a solid, stable feel. Also, I like racquets that put weight behind the ball (in other words, have a nice "plow through" effect - this is why I didn't like the RDS 001).

Also, this racquet has to allow me to hit good topspin forehands, but at the same time, allow me to flatten out and go for winners when the time is right (thus, I prefer a 16 x 19 string pattern).

Finally, the racquets above don't prevent me from winning matches. I play regularly and enojoy the sport to its fullest extent. I also have a coach and practice about 8 - 10 hours a week, so I don't think my technique is the problem. Its just that I don't like certain characteristics of many of these racquets, and thus don't like them :(.

Try the Aerogel 300, it is a great racquet, and it sounds like it fits your game.

Sviki
04-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Babolat Pure Storm - awesome racquet.
Definitely try it

rabidcow
04-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey I would take a look at some of the "old school" Pro Kennex rackets like the Type S. Solid racket that offers some big serves and good maneuverability at net as well as being control oriented.

fujitsu77
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow, thanks for all the responses everybody. I really appreciate all these suggestions. I guess I still need to try some more racquets! ;)

(Though I don't think I should waste too much more money ;))

I'll definitely try out the nBlade, a couple Volkls, and ProKennexs.

Also, I might just pick a racquet from those that I have already tried and stick with it. Plus, I might have not liked most of the racquets I tried b/c of the strings (most were strung w/ wilson nxt). These strings really made it difficult for me to get a feel for these frames, for all the frames just felt too powerful.

I think that if I string some of these racquets up w/ my own strings, then things might just work out.

Thanks again,

fujitsu77

(On a side note, how would the RDX 500 Mid/MP suit an aggressive baseliner?)

ne1410is
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
to me it sounds like you want a midplus racquet with lead weight added to the hoop (9 and 3 and 12 -or- 10 and 2 o'clock). that will give you spin and plow through i think. i like the same thing--its difficult because manufacturer's tend to make mid plus lighter than mid. sometimes their formulas for raquet manufacturing can be quite annoying.

fujitsu77
04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
to me it sounds like you want a midplus racquet with lead weight added to the hoop (9 and 3 and 12 -or- 10 and 2 o'clock). that will give you spin and plow through i think. i like the same thing--its difficult because manufacturer's tend to make mid plus lighter than mid. sometimes their formulas for raquet manufacturing can be quite annoying.

That is exactly what I want (and I agree, their formulas for racquet manufacturing can be quite annoying ;))

I think I might just get a good racquet and then add a ton of lead at the 12 or 10 and 2.

John Galt
04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Racquets I have tried:

Babolat Racquets

Dunlop Racquets

Fischer Racquets

Head Racquets

Prince Racquets

Tecnifibre Racquets

Wilson Racquets

Yonex Racquets

RDS 002 Tour
nBlade
(That is it for now)

Thanks

fujitsu77

(IMO) DO NOT TRY ANY MORE RACQUETS!!! The game of tennis is 90% fitness/strategy/talent & footwork(part of fitness I guess). You have tried enough racquets. Please do yourself a favor and pick one of them that is comfortable and gave you decent results........and spend all of this "racquet" time on your GAME. My god man, there is not a frame out there that will work well with your game any more than a stick that you have already hit with. Worry about all of the other important stuff........not the racquet. I am not being a wise guy but please trust me on this one.

Noveson
04-07-2007, 07:47 PM
(IMO) DO NOT TRY ANY MORE RACQUETS!!! The game of tennis is 90% fitness/strategy/talent & footwork(part of fitness I guess). You have tried enough racquets. Please do yourself a favor and pick one of them that is comfortable and gave you decent results........and spend all of this "racquet" time on your GAME. My god man, there is not a frame out there that will work well with your game any more than a stick that you have already hit with. Worry about all of the other important stuff........not the racquet. I am not being a wise guy but please trust me on this one.

I would guess closer to 95%:D Given that you have a racquet that is at least somewhat suited to you(not a Gamma Big Bubba or K90).

prostaff18
04-07-2007, 07:54 PM
I think that the nBlade is what you want. Also you may like the Pure Storm with some lead.

fujitsu77
04-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I might go with the nBlade (but I've never tried it).

Or maybe I should get an RDS and led it up?

DANMAN
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Babolat Pure Control. Definitely give it a test.

jetlee2k
04-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't know what your tennis level is but the Babolat Roddick Plus would be a nice one for you. It is great for serve with 2 hbh ground strokes and it's very very solid.

It seems that you don't give the racquet enough time for trying. Trying a racquet is not just hitting for one or two days but you have to adapt with the racquet. As soon as you find the racquet that has potential and you like it then play it long enough to adapt your strokes with the racquet. That is the problems with trying the racquet for the ones who just could not find the right racquet for them

rum02
04-08-2007, 12:32 AM
it's already been mentioned before but you should give the pure storm a try, i haven't played with it but it has a huge following here and everyone seems to rave about it. it's a control orientated racquet and pretty light, you could lead it up easily though. another popular racquet is the m-fil 300. remember rarely will a racquet fit your game from the first hit, you need to make sure you give the racquet enough time. also you said you didn't mind the technifibre tfight 320, maybe persist with that. good luck

Fossika
04-08-2007, 01:40 AM
You have obviously wasted a lot of money demoing all those racquets :\ If you couldn't find something good in there the problem is either in your head or in your game because anyone should be able to play with at least one of the racquets you demo'd, probably many more. I suggest you get a favourite racquet from your selection and instead of spending money demoing get more lessons to improve your technique, I think your suffering from chronic user error ; )

chunlimeyers
04-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Mostly everybody is right, work on your technique. However, i believe that nearly no racquet is "too stiff".. Well, if it is, use "softer strings" and 'string lower".. If it is "too flexible", you can use "stiffer strings", or strings that make more power. And, if you have tennis elbow, it means you aren't hitting the racquet in the sweet spot very much at all, allowing you to 'feel" that racquets edges, which are ALWAYS going to be "pretty stiff". And yes, adding lead can really make a racquet act and swing differently. Yet, what just about everyone is telling you is correct. If you have good form, hit the ball into the center of the racquet, racquets will feel slightly different, but not much. Only a pet shot or two might be off. I use the k90 and my old racquet for about 3 to 4 years was the wilson tour 90(yellow and black). The only difference is the k90's ability to make more spin on my now kick serve(it was too difficult before with my tour 90 to hit effectively), and the racquets extra STIFFNESS allows me to really experiment and BLAST flatter winners and service returns. Other than that, the racquets play very simular and only string tension up or down and the type of string determines how it feels.. Oh, another factor, the BALL!.. If my buddies decide to use balls that arent exactly new, and my string job still hasn't "broke in"(loses tension to where it feels good), my racquet will "feel stiff" and less powerfull. I also think your relative bad technique has been allowed to exist because the POG is one of the most STABLE and FORGIVING racquets that can't hurt your joints no matter HOW BAD u hit the ball!.. So, finding something like this with todays frames, well, is tough, but surely can be done. Hopefully take all this as much as we can provide "positive" advice, work on your strength, and you will be fine. And, one of my only suggestions for changing frames, why not the POG 93, the small head one. It has a wicked for making spin string pattern, the same magerial as your OS, and I know a guy who is 5 foot 10 and serves bigger than everybody with it because it is extremely head light. Again, if you have problems with small head racquets, and this one, it is your form, not the frame.

fujitsu77
04-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Ok, I HAVE A COACH ;) (who I work with about 4hrs a week), so if it was my technique, he would have said something by now.

I think my real problem is that I don't give any racquets a chance. I just recently demoed the HEAD MicroGel Extreme Pro. Now, I really like this racquet, except I can't seem to control my forehands. Every ball seems to fly (I think this might be b/c of the low tension and the nxt strings).

Now I am debating, take a risk w/ the extreme pro and see how it responds to different strings, or try a different racquet from the list as others have suggested.

thanks again

fujitsu77

fujitsu77
04-08-2007, 07:10 AM
suggestion 1: don't waste much more money on demoing ;)
suggestion 2: you love your POGs but they are too heavy so maybe you might consider lifting some weights and build your upper body strength.
suggestion 3: buy another POG from tw and ask them to sell you the one most like their specs say.
suggestion 4: if you really want to get something else try the Volkl C10 Pro MP, Volkl DNX 10 MP (DNX9 was garbage)

Wow, I almost overlooked this post!

This is a great suggestion.

Thanks IT WAS IN!!!

MHobbit
04-08-2007, 07:10 AM
You'll eventually need to actually try and take a risk with one racquet. If it has the fewest cons that you notice, try to customize your racquet from there (e.g. too light? lead it up...)...

As per previous messages, you're being too picky.

Wingshellphelp
04-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Babolat Pure Storm - awesome racquet.
Definitely try it

yeah, it is, i demoed it. youde like it

BreakPoint
04-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I just recently demoed the HEAD MicroGel Extreme Pro. Now, I really like this racquet, except I can't seem to control my forehands.
Wow, I guess you must like really stiff racquets with no feel?

I'm surprised you like the MicroGEL Extreme but not the Pure Drive, as I find them to be cut from the same cloth.

dr_punk
04-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Sometimes racquets grow on you and/or you're just using the wrong setup. I used the PS 6.0 85 about 4-5 months ago as a demo and even though I wanted to love the racquet so much, I just couldn't, but recently I played it again with a custom setup and for some reason, the racquet was just fuc**n perfect. So... I don't know what else I can say.

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-08-2007, 11:51 AM
try the nblade, probably the best wilson racquet.

dr_punk
04-08-2007, 12:14 PM
try the nblade, probably the best wilson racquet.

HA, funny
the nBlade is definitely one of the best frames that has been released by wilson these days but not THE best.

Anton
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Try Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 classic - nothing has as solid of a feel as that one.
Still you might find it to have too much power.
My other suggestion would be Fischer M Speed Pro Number One 98

Joshie
04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I think ur too fusy... maybe just focus on improving ur skill :D

psp2
04-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I think ur too fusy... maybe just focus on improving ur skill :D

Agreed.........
That's what I said many posts ago.

dr_punk
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Agreed.........
That's what I said many posts ago.

yep, i agree. But a right racquet is as right as rain

Anton
04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Racquets I have tried:

I'm demoing - T-flight 320 right now - never mind my Wilson 6.1 Pro-staff classic suggestion - the tflight is the slightly slimmer, lighter version of that racket, it does it all just about as good in a more maneuverable package. Plus it looks like a real solid quality racket.

Thats the one for you, just get used to it a bit.

For me it was a bit too heavy on the swing compared to my (.5oz heavier) Tour Extreme, the swings and esp. serves and volleys where more solid on the less flexible T-flight but maneuverability and spin was not as good and I'm too used to my racket to make the switch.

FedUp
04-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Try the Avery m3 control and m3 power. Great "plow through" effect. Not too common a racquet, but most similar to your POGs (also with the cross bar stabilizer).

fujitsu77
04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm going to either go with the POG or the k90.

Don't know which one yet, both are good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions though!

movdqa
04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I might suggest the Redondo Mid-Plus.

You want a lot from your racquet and even the most perfect racquet will result in compromise. It sounds like you'd like a K90 in 95 Sq In.

Your desire for performance for spin and flat shots leads me to think 95 sq in and an open string pattern.

Perhaps you can do some adjustments with lead tape too.

It seems like the K90 should be close to what you want. Maybe you can do something with lead or the strings to reduce the "mushy" feel that you're experiencing.

Alafter
04-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Take the Big Bubba and graft it to your forearm. That's your permanent racket. Dont use that stupid POG or K90. That's for the pinheaded losers.

jump4wd
04-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Mostly everybody is right, work on your technique. However, i believe that nearly no racquet is "too stiff".. Well, if it is, use "softer strings" and 'string lower".. If it is "too flexible", you can use "stiffer strings", or strings that make more power. And, if you have tennis elbow, it means you aren't hitting the racquet in the sweet spot very much at all, allowing you to 'feel" that racquets edges, which are ALWAYS going to be "pretty stiff". And yes, adding lead can really make a racquet act and swing differently. Yet, what just about everyone is telling you is correct. If you have good form, hit the ball into the center of the racquet, racquets will feel slightly different, but not much. Only a pet shot or two might be off. I use the k90 and my old racquet for about 3 to 4 years was the wilson tour 90(yellow and black). The only difference is the k90's ability to make more spin on my now kick serve(it was too difficult before with my tour 90 to hit effectively), and the racquets extra STIFFNESS allows me to really experiment and BLAST flatter winners and service returns. Other than that, the racquets play very simular and only string tension up or down and the type of string determines how it feels.. Oh, another factor, the BALL!.. If my buddies decide to use balls that arent exactly new, and my string job still hasn't "broke in"(loses tension to where it feels good), my racquet will "feel stiff" and less powerfull. I also think your relative bad technique has been allowed to exist because the POG is one of the most STABLE and FORGIVING racquets that can't hurt your joints no matter HOW BAD u hit the ball!.. So, finding something like this with todays frames, well, is tough, but surely can be done. Hopefully take all this as much as we can provide "positive" advice, work on your strength, and you will be fine. And, one of my only suggestions for changing frames, why not the POG 93, the small head one. It has a wicked for making spin string pattern, the same magerial as your OS, and I know a guy who is 5 foot 10 and serves bigger than everybody with it because it is extremely head light. Again, if you have problems with small head racquets, and this one, it is your form, not the frame.

theoretically, it sounds right. but if you tried loosen up the string to comfy zone, you lose control (mushy and too much power). have you tried stiff poly with loose tension? did you really feel it is soft and arm friendly and can safely recommend it to someone with tennis elbow?

wksoh
11-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Agree with this totally... the racket list demoed is complete (almost). Just have to pick one or two.

Ross K
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Q. Are you after extreme stabillity?... directional control (even when you really hit hard)?... beautiful manouverability?... lush feel?... optimum weight (around 12oz)?...

A. Look at the older, original Heads (approximately 10-15 years old or longer)... Prestige Classic 600, i Prestige, Rad Tour TT, Bumblebee, Pro Tour, etc.

BURN-E
11-26-2007, 02:23 AM
tried wilson K-factor TEAM?
with your playstyle and what I wrote about the other racquets this might be something..

it's practically the old prostaff

goakka
11-26-2007, 03:31 AM
I know you from the USA and probably don't get the Slazengers there because Donlop owns them but if you can try the
Slazenger x one mk 111
my stick and it sounds like you hit like me I also hate the 18x20 patterns. it a 95 head 16x18 players racket and wight. also they are a good price:wink:
Cheers

jmverdugo
11-26-2007, 05:14 AM
I would think that by this time the OP already chose a racket ... either that or he started to play badminton :)

PackardDell
11-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Head will release an open string pattern Prestige very soon. That might be the stick for you

Gundam
11-26-2007, 02:08 PM
You haven't tried all.

What about prostaff6.0 95, not 85?
Along with POG OS, that's my favorite.
Or some expect too much from the racquets. They make difference but you should be able to narrow down to 2-3.

My two favorites

POG OS & PS6.0 95 - great feel, userfriendly, good flex (95, yeah, it's arm friendly), great spin, right swing weight (cannot believe they are over 12oz. Felt the POGOS too heavy? Your body will adjust to it in 2 weeks or do some weight training).

Cons of these great sticks? - With POG OS, I cannot hit a good lob. With PS6095, I feel it's too headlight and buttery, especially againt hardhitters. There is no one single racquet that can do everything perfectly.

ollinger
11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
fujitsu
the humiliation you must feel has to be very painful in presenting so enormous a list of racquets you managed to deem unacceptable. Loving a racquet may in some ways be like loving a fellow human -- if you are in a receptive frame (frame?) of mind and mood, it typically happens before very long. That you have not found one you feel compatible may mean your motives for playing this game are not pure in some way and you are not truly receptive to it. I second Drakulie's suggestion that you try another game -- not necessarily permanently but at least to allow yourself time to see if the ardor for tennis survives. Do so before people begin to think about holiday gifts to get you.

fujitsu77
11-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I would think that by this time the OP already chose a racket ... either that or he started to play badminton :)

lol good call :D I made this thread almost six months ago and today it's back up.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I actually found a frame about 5 months ago lol

fujitsu
the humiliation you must feel has to be very painful in presenting so enormous a list of racquets you managed to deem unacceptable. Loving a racquet may in some ways be like loving a fellow human -- if you are in a receptive frame (frame?) of mind and mood, it typically happens before very long. That you have not found one you feel compatible may mean your motives for playing this game are not pure in some way and you are not truly receptive to it. I second Drakulie's suggestion that you try another game -- not necessarily permanently but at least to allow yourself time to see if the ardor for tennis survives. Do so before people begin to think about holiday gifts to get you.

wow, just wow

I really hope this is a joke ;)

okdude1992
11-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I think that the nBlade is what you want. Also you may like the Pure Storm with some lead.

i agree with prostaff... give it a go... if not it sounded like you didn't mind the TF 320 16x19 that much...maybe you want to try the dunlop mfil 200 16x19 as well

edit:didn't read your last post so what racket did you settle on?

Bundey
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
At this point, it is you, not the racquet.

Alafter
11-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I wanna say Fujitsu, your finding that holy grail, or so you think, is nothing but something you made up in your head. This is unacceptable. You must confront reality. Go back, and rethink what you have done to yourself. Denial will not be tolerated here. We will not even think about associating with you till you have dealt with the issue.

When you are ready to accept the truth, go to the demo section and try again. You may ask for help on demo choices and we are always ready to help you.

Alafter
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Now, about making love to racquets.....

Anton
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
but I actually found a frame about 5 months ago lol

Well what was it???

Indy Tennis
11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
The USRSA racquet map may be of help in selecting a racquet.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/05/2007_racquet_selection_map.html

Fedace
11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Try the Yonex RQIS tour-1 and tour-2, your dreams will come true.

racquet_jedi
11-26-2007, 08:53 PM
My advice is to turn pro and sign with your favorite racquet brand so they can custom a racquet for you...

hector
11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
A few questions in before making recommendations

Level?
Give more detail on style of play?
Fitness Level?

The old racquets such as the POG are going to have a unique feel to them. Most manufactures are using different materials, technology, and designing racquets with different specifications. So all the racqeuts you try are going to feel very different and strange. Therefore I would pick the racquet you like the most so far and use that for a month. Then start demoing again. Its sort of like a guy who has never eaten oysters trying 10 different types and not liking any of them. You first have to get used to the different feel and technology before you can figure out what racquet you like.

JW10S
11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
What are some of the things that you like from those different racquet? Maybe if you take the positives from different racquets, then you can find one that has all of the features you like.I didn't read all the posts in this thread so this may have been said already but having tried all of the racquets you have and you still can't find you like the problem is with you, not the racquets. You're looking for a magic racquet that will miraculously turn you into a better player--there is no such thing. Pick a racquet and get out on the courts and pay your dues hitting balls.

Swissv2
11-26-2007, 09:19 PM
You should just spend the money in getting a completely customized racquet.

tzinc
11-27-2007, 12:25 AM
The USRSA racquet map may be of help in selecting a racquet.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/05/2007_racquet_selection_map.html

This map is too small too read how can I enlarge it so I can read it thanks!

Indy Tennis
11-27-2007, 05:15 PM
This map is too small too read how can I enlarge it so I can read it thanks!

If you go by the numbers that accompany the chart it will give a good starting point.

I think you can only get the full chart from the magazine itself.

Serve n' Volley
11-30-2007, 07:02 PM
What racquet did you choose, Fujitsu?

JackSkellington
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
At this point, it is you, not the racquet.

I wanna say Fujitsu, your finding that holy grail, or so you think, is nothing but something you made up in your head. This is unacceptable. You must confront reality. Go back, and rethink what you have done to yourself. Denial will not be tolerated here. We will not even think about associating with you till you have dealt with the issue.

When you are ready to accept the truth, go to the demo section and try again. You may ask for help on demo choices and we are always ready to help you.

My advice is to turn pro and sign with your favorite racquet brand so they can custom a racquet for you...

You should just spend the money in getting a completely customized racquet.

lol good call :D I made this thread almost six months ago and today it's back up.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I actually found a frame about 5 months ago lol

Do you guys not read? It's on the same page...anyway, what did you end up choosing?

Katlion
12-01-2007, 01:57 PM
If you can get it, try the Wilson nCode nTour Two, or the Prince O3 Blue, or the Prince O3 Speedport Black.

christo
12-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Racquets I have tried:

Babolat Racquets

Dunlop Racquets

Fischer Racquets

Head Racquets

Prince Racquets

Tecnifibre Racquets

Wilson Racquets

Yonex Racquets

RDS 002 Tour
nBlade
(That is it for now)

Thanks

fujitsu77
Time to take up golf, you'll love all the choices! Bring your cheque book.

Final_Match_Point
12-01-2007, 08:57 PM
try the c10 pro and dnx10 mid

fujitsu77
12-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey everyone,

Well this has what happened with my racquets :)

Shortly after this thread, I switched to the RDS 001 MP. It was good, got used to it, a bit on the light side though, and lead wasn't helping it out.

Then the APDC came out. Got one of those, played with it, but missed the feeling of my RDS, so I switched back.

But now, I'm still in a racquet debate, I've tried the 002 Tour out many times and don't know whether to go with that or stay with the RDS ;)

Hey, atleast my list has narrowed down quite a bit :D

AND THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

fujitsu77
12-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry for the double post, but my opinions on most of the racquets I first listed have changed dramatically with all this time.

I just needed to get used to the feel of more modern type frames (I was so used to 100% graphite).

So if anybody needs opinions on any of the racquets just ask.

Dumbledore
12-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi, how is the RDS 002 Tour on groundies respect the RDS 001 both mid and mp?

tenis
12-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Simle - old shool feel? Defenitive try Vantage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have it for year and love the feel.

counterpuncher
12-02-2007, 03:37 PM
So if anybody needs opinions on any of the racquets just ask.
How would you compare the T-Fight 320 (16 x 20) against the RDS001 ? What I am curious about is :
a) which is more powerful ?
b) which is better for flat serves ?
c) which has better spin ?
d) which has better comfort ?

p.s. another option other the RDS002 Tour is the RQiS 1, which is what I am currently weighing up on whether to switch to from the RDS001.

cheers

dunno
12-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Try the PS 6.0 95 + weighted to how you like it, and you should be good to go once you get used to it.

Noveson
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
How would you compare the T-Fight 320 (16 x 20) against the RDS001 ? What I am curious about is :
a) which is more powerful ?
b) which is better for flat serves ?
c) which has better spin ?
d) which has better comfort ?

p.s. another option other the RDS002 Tour is the RQiS 1, which is what I am currently weighing up on whether to switch to from the RDS001.

cheers
Since I've used both for long amounts of time, I'll try to help you out.

a) The 320 is definitely the more powerful of the two.
b) 320 again in my opinion, the RDS 001 lacks in serves.
c)This is pretty close, I think the 001 has an edge here.
d) Both are somewhat stiff, but the 001 is harsh on off center hits.

The_Punisher
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
try the aerogel 300

a little lead tape and you're good to go.

fuzz nation
12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
I went through an on-and-off racquet search for a couple of years looking to replace my old 12.8 oz. Prostaff 6.1 Classics. What I'm settling in on these days is the new Donnay mp from TW and I'm happy to report that the old school vibe is here.

I've also got a pair of the RDS 002 Tours, but I'm still noodling with string options for the perfomance that I want. In the meantime, those Donnays are just blowing me away. If you try any more demos, you might want to think about that one.

zane
12-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Go to your practice court instead of your computer, a good player can use any quality racquet with some success. The best player I've ever personally played (he is a former davis cup captain) would dominate almost anyone with a walmart racquet if he was forced to use one.

counterpuncher
12-03-2007, 01:10 PM

a) The 320 is definitely the more powerful of the two.
b) 320 again in my opinion, the RDS 001 lacks in serves.
c)This is pretty close, I think the 001 has an edge here.
d) Both are somewhat stiff, but the 001 is harsh on off center hits.

Thanks, now I'll have to go to a store and check out how the newer TF grip shape agrees with my 1bh grip, as the older one as per Head racquets didn't : )

fujitsu77
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
You guys lol, I appreciate all the suggestions, but I found my racquet :D

spiritboy3
12-03-2007, 04:08 PM
why didnt u go for the nblade?? and how u feel with it???

counterpuncher
12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Sorry one last question that I should have asked, which do you prefer and why ? Thanks.

tzinc
12-03-2007, 04:31 PM
You guys lol, I appreciate all the suggestions, but I found my racquet :D
That doesn't matter this thread won't die LOL!

HappyLefty
12-03-2007, 05:13 PM

:(.

What you need is a C10 pro. It has the specs you are looking for.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCVOLKL-C10PRO.html

Head Size: 98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 12.2oz / 346g
Balance: 8pts Head Light
Swingweight: 323
Stiffness: 63
Beam Width: 20 mm Straight Beam

"The C-10 Pro midsize is a proven performer for advanced and pro level players seeking control and a softer feel. It is a full-bodied racquet, at 12.2 ounces, yet still quite mobile. Serve and volley players will appreciate this, along with superior touch and precision provided by the C-10 Pro midsize'smore flexible upper hoop. Hard-hitting baseliners will appreciate the control and comfort of the C-10 Pro midsize. Best suited for 4.5 to pro level players who place a priority on comfort and control."

fujitsu77
12-03-2007, 07:17 PM
That doesn't matter this thread won't die LOL!

fine lol, I'll help out too! I'll ask some questions, maybe even put up a new list of racquet once this list starts getting old :D

keep this going forever ;)

Applesauceman
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
If you really like the POG, but not the weight, you should go back to the Diablo Midplus, remove the buttcap, cut 1/4 inch off the end of the handle, and then reapply the buttcap, thereby making the Diablo a 27" racquet just like the POG. I feel that the "fraility" that you are feeling in the Diablo Midplus is the lack of weight that you don't have and don't like when playing with the POG. The only other option I have is to do the same thing to the POG longbody, except that you will need to remove 1 inch from the end of the handle. The POG longbody is also lighter than the POG oversize.

tzinc
12-04-2007, 12:51 AM
People just don't want to acknowledge you found your racquet LOL. It's too much fun to keep going on about what racquet you should get.