PDA

View Full Version : Think about it.... or just react?

Exxion
09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
I was wondering what people like to do, do you think about the shot like, okay i'm gonna hit a slice next or do you guys just react and hit whatever feels right

mucat
09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
I guess the better you are the more thinking you can do while hitting. Beginner can only react to the ball and hoping to hit it and hope it will be good, but as you get better, you can think more, you have more shot selection, you can change your mind even after you backswing.

thehustler
09-12-2004, 09:47 PM
I go by the first thing that pops in my head. If I have a down the line shot lined up I go for it. I try to avoid changing my mind at the last minute, since that causes too many errors. I've found that since I've been working on this my shots are better and I get a lot more winners and am able to come to net easier when I just go by my instinct.

jun
09-13-2004, 12:30 AM
You can sort of plan your shots knowing your oppoent's tendency etc. For example, I am playing against a guy who hits a short backhand crosscourt when forced to hit high balls. Then I can loop the ball to his backhand, look for short crosscourt backhand, take it down the line.

It's like a chess game, but it also involves a lot of reaction. If you are just rallying crosscourt, then it would be pretty tough to tell what your opponent is going to do. If s/he hits a pretty low ball, then you may have to slice. If s/he gives you mid court shoulder high bal, then you should quickly step in, and flatten it out.

Hustler also has good point. Once you make the choice, it's a pretty darn good idea to stick with it. The better you become, more you know about your opponent, this choice is going to be better and different against each opponent.

Camilio Pascual
09-13-2004, 07:14 AM
I tend to think more in the beginning of a match and then go with what feels right after I have a clue about the other player. I also have figured out what is and isn't working for me on a given day and will just go with what feels right.