PDA

View Full Version : Is the current version of the POG oversize still good?

bluetrain4
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Many have posted that it's less headlight (5 pts to the previous 8 or 9 pts) than previous versions.

But, does it still play good. I've always been curious and am going to demo one. Watching old Sabatini clips inspired me.

Also, is it too big? Is there a significant loss of control sue to the size?

nickb
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
The ones sold by TW are still great rackets and the racket has got alot of control. The headsize isnt too big imo, they are more suited towards baseline bashers buy volley well too. Give them a try, youll be suprised!

bluetrain4
04-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Anyone else?

lethalfang
04-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Anyone else?

I have the current version and I love 'em.
I think it's more about what you are used to. I think players who are used to the old version aren't used to the current ones.
I've been playing with the current version for a year before I tried the older version, and surprise surprise, I like the current version better. ;)

bluetrain4
04-07-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm really excited. I'm a power baseliner and it should suit my game perfectly.

I'm a bit worried about the serve though. I hit topspin, slice, and like to hit flat sometimes, which the POG OS, isn't great for according to other threads.

lethalfang
04-07-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm really excited. I'm a power baseliner and it should suit my game perfectly.

I'm a bit worried about the serve though. I hit topspin, slice, and like to hit flat sometimes, which the POG OS, isn't great for according to other threads.

True.
A few months ago, I tried a friend's Pro Staff 6.1, and my flat serve was clearly faster, although my groundstroke was totally off with that racquet.

AndrewD
04-07-2007, 02:39 AM
I don't believe the currently available version of the POG OS is anywhere near as good as the older versions.

bluetrain4
04-07-2007, 02:40 AM
True.
A few months ago, I tried a friend's Pro Staff 6.1, and my flat serve was clearly faster, although my groundstroke was totally off with that racquet.

But, were you able to hit effective flat serves at all? Even if hey were worse than with other rackets, were they at least somewhat effective?

bluetrain4
04-07-2007, 02:42 AM
hey = they. Sorry for the typo.

eagle
04-07-2007, 04:04 AM
You may want to try the Tour Diablo also which has almost the same specs as the POG. I've tried both but liked the Diablo better. Just picked up a couple.

Thanks,
eagle

bluetrain4
04-07-2007, 11:03 AM
You may want to try the Tour Diablo also which has almost the same specs as the POG. I've tried both but liked the Diablo better. Just picked up a couple.

Thanks,
eagle

I've actually used the Tour Diablo mid (93 sq inches) for over a year. Great stick. But, somewhat unforgiving and harsh on my arm. I really like it, and at this point am only demoing the POG oversize.

I've actually hit with the POG mid and like the Diablo midbetter. The key here is moving to the POG OS, which i still 12.2 OZ and a little bit more flexible. I tried the Diablo Midplus (100 sq inches) and hated it.

Too bad Prince doesn't make a 100 sq inch Prince Graphite midplus, 12.3 oz, around 7 pts HL, flex 63, and swingweight around 328.

ps60
04-07-2007, 11:10 AM
if u hate the tour diablo MP, why look for current POG OS. Can u see they are not able to produce good one these days

i also hate my Diablo MP, but with jsut 2 gram of lead, i may have fixed 60% or more of the problem.

one thing i observe about POG OS is they have completely diff. spec on current models. The No.1arm friendly spec. is very head-ligtht, below 31 cm Bal. the current model is much less HL. and if u are looking for the "good old quality", look elsewhere, it ain't there !

bluetrain4
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
if u hate the tour diablo MP, why look for current POG OS. Can u see they are not able to produce good one these days

i also hate my Diablo MP, but with jsut 2 gram of lead, i may have fixed 60% or more of the problem.

one thing i observe about POG OS is they have completely diff. spec on current models. The No.1arm friendly spec. is very head-ligtht, below 31 cm Bal. the current model is much less HL. and if u are looking for the "good old quality", look elsewhere, it ain't there !

Well, the Diablo MP was too headlight for me (10 pts stock) and the overall weight was too light. If you've added lead to the head, then you've made it less headlight.

The reason why the specs on the POG OS, even in its current form, seem OK to me is because the static weight is about what I like (12.2 oz) and the swingweight is pretty much the same as my Diablo Mid (around 333). Being only 5 pts headlight doesn't seem too bad, at least not enough not to demo it.

So my thinking was that the increased size of the head would allow for a more a forgiving racket, and the decreased stiffness (63 for the POG, 66 for the Diablo mid) woud allow for some more arm comfort.

I've really considered everyone's comments aboutt these current versions, good and bad. But, it can't hurt just to demo.