PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Recommendation for Girlfriend

Bmr
04-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

My girlfriend just started showing an interest in tennis and I'm trying to get her a decent starter racquet. I believe she'll be a 1/4 or 3/8 on the grip, but i'm trying to find a racquet that is very light and easy to use. I browed through the liquidation section on this site, but just wondering if any of you have any recommendations or experience with players starting out.

Thanks in advance,

Bmr

s.sharm01
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
i would recommend somethign that is right, open string pattern and something that is head heavy. Typical starters will obviously be baseliners, and if you get her a light racquet you don't want something that makes up for the lack of weight in the swing with the head heavy...

also look for something that has a bigger head size then 100.. look for something around 105- even 110...

but thats my 2 cents, gluck on makin the call.
tell us what you decide to choose...

ibringtheHEAT
04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
I would grab that Dunlop 300g 105, its a great racquet to grow with she can be using that as a beginner and even when shes as good as you ;)

SFrazeur
04-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I would suggest looking at the Yonex Ultimmum RQ Speed 8:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-URQS8.html

I have one, I use it for demo purposes. Nice starter racquet, easy to generate spin, maneuverable. Touch is low but a beginner would not know. Unlike most Yonex racquets the URQS8 does not flex at the throat, what flex there is, is just general flex throughout the frame. Plays a lot softer than one would think by looking at the specs. Large sweet spot. Down side to the racquet is that she might out grow it a bit quickly.

Yonex does now have the RQS 22 which specs wise seems close to an update to this racquet URQS8.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCYONEX-RQS22.html

OrangeOne
04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I'd recommend something light and cheap! Seriously, most on here spend more time worrying about racquets than is either justifiable or healthy! ;)

Light makes the game accessible, cheap makes it not a risk if she suddenly stops liking the game / if she suddenly stops being your GF / if her younger siblings-cousins-dogs get hold of the racquet and play rock-tennis with it!

All of the above assumes that she is pretty much a beginner, mind you. That said, right now I'm coaching some beginner women in their 20s, and aside from making sure that they're not playing with a plank of wood, all I care about is that they have a good grip on the frame. In 6 months or a year, then it's time to look at a frame, and even then....

PS. The frames recommended so far make sense, but personally, $US 100 is way more than I'd look at spending....

cys19
04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Radical is too expensive for her. Get a Walmart racquet.

ibringtheHEAT
04-06-2007, 06:35 PM

WTF? who reccomended a radical?

btw wtf stands for wheres the food.

edit if this is too inappropriate.

Steve Huff
04-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Personally, I'd look for a standard length (27") long racket. They're easier to swing, regardless of the weight. I'd go with an oversize too. There aren't too many out there. You might find an older Ti or i Radical. They have a tight string pattern, so they aren't ideal, but I find them better than most even for beginners.

pdwolf
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
i don't criticize anyone above, just sharing my story. My wife also a beginner of tennis. when she want her own racquet, i also think it should be light, head heavy, oversize racket. firstly i found an old wilson excalibur, she played 2-3 weeks and said it is too large, too powerful, can't control ball; then i lent a wilson hyper hammer 5.3 and she said it is too head heavy and also too powerful; then i gave up and bring her to tennis shop, let her choose what she likes, the tennis shop boss recomm Yonex Ultimum RQ Speed 8, she quite like its painting and bought it. after 2 month she complain it is painful for elbow. finally she wanna try my new LM radical 98, after first play she love it and declare it belongs to her. now it is my turn to look for new racquet...:lol: :lol: :lol:

drakulie
04-06-2007, 07:54 PM
i don't criticize anyone above, just sharing my story. My wife also a beginner of tennis. when she want her own racquet, i also think it should be light, head heavy, oversize racket. firstly i found an old wilson excalibur, she played 2-3 weeks and said it is too large, too powerful, can't control ball; then i lent a wilson hyper hammer 5.3 and she said it is too head heavy and also too powerful; then i gave up and bring her to tennis shop, let her choose what she likes, the tennis shop boss recomm Yonex Ultimum RQ Speed 8, she quite like its painting and bought it. after 2 month she complain it is painful for elbow. finally she wanna try my new LM radical 98, after first play she love it and declare it belongs to her. now it is my turn to look for new racquet...:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the funniest story! :) Thanks for sharing!

Redflea
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I'd say anything light and cheap...105 head size at least. My wife's first racquet came from a warehouse store, she used it for a several years and progressed just fine with it...if you spend more than about $70 you've spent too much, IMHO.

ripkirby
04-06-2007, 10:26 PM
But light, head heavy racquets feel bad... a Radical should be nice as it is a good frame and fairly inexpensive

cys19
04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
If you want to spend that much on a girl, a Radical + multi would be fine.

OrangeOne
04-06-2007, 10:40 PM
But light, head heavy racquets feel bad...

Reset our baselines here (pun NOT intended) people. Racquets rarely feel bad to beginners. As long as they're not too heavy and not exceptionally extreme in any direction.... the beginner doesn't care.

The beginner is excited about hitting balls, full-stop. What are they not thinking.... they're not thinking "if only this was 3pts less head-heavy and had a 16 * 19 string pattern....".

ss2miraitrunks
04-06-2007, 10:54 PM
dnx 2 attiva

diehard6.0
04-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Volkl Tour 6 Generation II
I would say it is the best beginner (i.e., women's) racquet on the market.

lethalfang
04-07-2007, 02:34 AM

In truth, some of these "nicer" racquets such as Radical during clearance sales are not much more expensive than a Walmart racquet. I saw i.Radical on sale for $50 at Big 5 a few months ago.

fgs
04-07-2007, 05:27 AM
look for a 100-105 headsize, slightly headlight (4-6 pts), around 300g static weight, ideally a 16mains stringpattern.
my wife started a year ago with a wilson ntour two 105 - it works fine with her, but since she's quite athletical and has done some sports in her teens, she was supposed and did develop a rather long swing style. and then there was a very small risk that she'd stop playing, because my son has started too, and my family has a rather long tradition in this sport. so, i "afforded" a more expensive frame, knowing that the chances would be very little that she would not continue.

cys19
04-07-2007, 08:05 AM
In truth, some of these "nicer" racquets such as Radical during clearance sales are not much more expensive than a Walmart racquet. I saw i.Radical on sale for $50 at Big 5 a few months ago.

Does Big 5 ship?

lethalfang
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Does Big 5 ship?

I think it's just a local store trying to get rid of their stock. They don't ship as far as I know.

Polaris
04-07-2007, 01:34 PM
The beginner is excited about hitting balls, full-stop. What are they not thinking.... they're not thinking "if only this was 3pts less head-heavy and had a 16 * 19 string pattern....".

I had to smile at that, and at the fact that we are prepared to twist our heads and fling insults over those things. Sometimes, knowing too much is indeed a hindrance.

BTW, your signature rocks. ;)