PDA

View Full Version : The POG Mid has a younger brother thats better

netman
04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Recently scored a Prince Spectrum Comp 90 at a thrift store. I use to have one but the grip was too small and I sold it. Regretted it ever since. So I was happy to find this one with my grip size. With the exception of some head guard wear and a some court rash it is in good shape right down to the original leather grip.

Strung it up and took it out for a comparison hit with my POG Mid and Dunlop Select Pro Mid. These are both great player's frames that can still hold their own against modern player's frames. But I kept coming back to the Spectrum Comp. Prince nailed the material layup with this one. The combination of Kevlar, Fiberglass, Graphite and Ceramic fibers is just right. It has more feel and better comfort than the POG Mid, while still exhibiting the same great control and plow through. I haven't done a comparison on the 110s, but in the Mids the Spectrum Comp trumps its older brother.

It won't displace the RDS 003 as my competition frame, but I know I'll use it for fun matches and some ball machine work. If you are a POG Mid fan and get a chance to acquire a Spectrum Comp, do it. You'll be glad you did.

-k-

Polaris
04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Strung it up and took it out for a comparison hit with my POG Mid and Dunlop Select Pro Mid. These are both great player's frames that can still hold their own against modern player's frames. But I kept coming back to the Spectrum Comp. Prince nailed the material layup with this one. The combination of Kevlar, Fiberglass, Graphite and Ceramic fibers is just right. It has more feel and better comfort than the POG Mid, while still exhibiting the same great control and plow through. I haven't done a comparison on the 110s, but in the Mids the Spectrum Comp trumps its older brother.

It won't displace the RDS 003 as my competition frame, but I know I'll use it for fun matches and some ball machine work. If you are a POG Mid fan and get a chance to acquire a Spectrum Comp, do it. You'll be glad you did.

-k-

Agree with that netman. I'm having a ball with my Spectrum 90, purchased from the auction site a few months ago. I do think that it plays flexier than the POG mid, but am not sure if this is just my perception.

Duzza
04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
So I've heard just hard to find.

travlerajm
04-06-2007, 11:35 PM
The top 3 offerings in the Prince line from the late 80s went, in order of decreasing stiffness:

1. Boron
2. POG
3. Spectrum

The Boron had 2 crossbars, the POG 1, and the Spectrum none. They were all great racquets.

dylo
04-06-2007, 11:55 PM
The top 3 offerings in the Prince line from the late 80s went, in order of decreasing stiffness:

1. Boron
2. POG
3. Spectrum

The Boron had 2 crossbars, the POG 1, and the Spectrum none. They were all great racquets.

2 crossebars? o,0

i've got the spectrum comp 110. havnt tried it out but im hoping its a decent one like the 90 (it does hav crappy old strings tho...)

AndrewD
04-07-2007, 12:30 AM
The Spectrum 90 is a lovely frame but I wouldn't rank it ahead of the POG or, for that matter, the Graphite Pro, Magnesium Pro or Graphite Comp 90. It does have more comfort than those racquets but I think the others have better feel and more control. Of course, that's just splitting hairs and all of them are fantastic racquets to play with.

The Boron, was an early-mid 80's product (around 83-85).

As far as the OS goes, the Spectrum 110 was a nice racquet but lacked the control or spin of the POG OS although, again, it was far more comfortable.

lethalfang
04-07-2007, 02:26 AM
I've recently heard some good things about the Spectrum Comp, and I bought a used Spectrum Comp 110 for really cheap.
It looks like a POG OS without the stabilizer bar.
After playing with it for about 1/2 hour, it's not as stable as the POG OS. I also feel it's less powered, provides less control and less spin, and not as much plow-thru as the POG OS.