PDA

View Full Version : VLOG #12 Bosworth Racquets

chrisx
04-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Check out this week's VLOG. During the last segment, there were a bunch of old wood racquets in the background. Chris said that they will be looking at them next week. Can anybody recognize any of them?

Duzza
04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah no idea. I think I read the word Snauwehert or however you spell it.

jamauss
04-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Are those the ones that didn't have any grips on them? I couldn't tell what they were. They almost looked like the new K-Factors from the paint jobs but again, I couldn't see them well enough to say for sure.

Voltron
04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I thought I saw a Slaz, but I'm not real sure.

SFrazeur
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/SFrazeur/TT/BW003.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/SFrazeur/TT/BW002.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/SFrazeur/TT/BW001.jpg

Although the real question is goatee or no goatee:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/SFrazeur/TT/VLOG5.jpg
Not a picture of racquets from the collection.
---------------------------------------------------

Voltron
04-06-2007, 10:17 PM
He needs to lose the goatee I think, although I'm not a huge fan of goatees in general though.

retrowagen
04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Those are Snauwaert rackets. The midsized wood ones are either Brian Gottfried Mids or Tomas Smid Mids (same racket; just the Smid Mid sold better in Europe than did the Gottfried), circa 1983, one of the finest graphite enhanced wood mids ever made (easily as good as a Head Vilas or Edgewood or PK Golden Ace, for instance).

AndrewD
04-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Those are Snauwaert rackets. The midsized wood ones are either Brian Gottfried Mids or Tomas Smid Mids (same racket; just the Smid Mid sold better in Europe than did the Gottfried), circa 1983, one of the finest graphite enhanced wood mids ever made (easily as good as a Head Vilas or Edgewood or PK Golden Ace, for instance).

Yes, although there is some chance they could also be Jan Kodes used. The other ones, with the hint of red, look like the Snauwert racquet that Miloslav Mecir used throughout his career.

Looks like there's at least 3 other models up on the wall and I wonder if they might include any of the Snauwaert ATP frames. Of course, I'd absolutely love it if there was also a few of the Snauwaert Hi-Ten 50 but I'm not holding my breath LOL.

Here's a couple of pics of the Mecir so judge for yourselves. Just remember, when his wood-graphite was discontinued he had the racquet painted green so it would look like Snauwert's current, at the time, top of the range racquet (a great frame, used by Jason Stoltenberg).

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/1566575.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A675BC1770E020D30E E30A760B0D811297
http://static.flickr.com/53/145823224_81ca995150_o.jpg
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/1566570.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A69425D1DCEDEBC71B E30A760B0D811297

retrowagen
04-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I believe Miloslav Mecir used the Brian Gottfried Mid.

NoBadMojo
04-07-2007, 02:53 PM
The frames with the brown shaft are surely Brian Gottfried Autos. Cant remember what the open throated one was called. I have a Snauwaert Jan Kodes Auto but have no idea if this is the frame he mostly used in his career. It's made similarly to the Gottfried and has a blue shaft, his autograph on one side, and the words 'International Club' on the other

vsbabolat
04-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I loved the Snauwaert wood racquets! Their graphite/wood and full composite racquets were also a thing of beauty. I still have one left new never strung from 1984 a Snauwaert Vitas Gerulaitis Graphite Pro mid. A thing of beauty.

NoBadMojo
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I loved the Snauwaert wood racquets! Their graphite/wood and full composite racquets were also a thing of beauty. I still have one left new never strung from 1984 a Snauwaert Vitas Gerulaitis Graphite Pro mid. A thing of beauty.

I agree...really great racquets. I was 'freelisted' by Snauwaert back then and it was really nice to get a bunch of frames with the exact same weight and balance. each frame was not only designated as 'L' 'LM' 'M', etc but was individualy engraved with the precise weight and balance.
I played the FiberComp most from them. The best frame I think was the one like the FiberComp but it had a full Boron overlay on it..Newcombe used this frame for a while..it was firmer...the Fiber Comps were extremely flexible

Drona
04-08-2007, 04:40 AM
He needs to lose the goatee I think, although I'm not a huge fan of goatees in general though.

Yes. He looks much more honest and angelic w/out the goatee. I wouldn't question a linecall from the shaved-face, but the goatee-guy I may ask for shot-spot :) I assume this is someone who moderates the board or does work for TW? If so I do not mean to offend!

Kirko
04-08-2007, 06:32 AM
The frames with the brown shaft are surely Brian Gottfried Autos. Cant remember what the open throated one was called. I have a Snauwaert Jan Kodes Auto but have no idea if this is the frame he mostly used in his career. It's made similarly to the Gottfried and has a blue shaft, his autograph on one side, and the words 'International Club' on the other

Brad Gilbert used the Gottfried Autos. 1st the Brian Gottfried "Flex" model then the bron one you see inthe pic. Gilbert like Aria was one of the last "hold outs" using regular wood rackets before going to a graphite mid. Now that I think of it so was Bill Scanlon.

joe sch
04-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I agree...really great racquets. I was 'freelisted' by Snauwaert back then and it was really nice to get a bunch of frames with the exact same weight and balance. each frame was not only designated as 'L' 'LM' 'M', etc but was individualy engraved with the precise weight and balance.
I played the FiberComp most from them. The best frame I think was the one like the FiberComp but it had a full Boron overlay on it..Newcombe used this frame for a while..it was firmer...the Fiber Comps were extremely flexible

NBM,

I have a question that Im curious about since you played tournament tennis with standard head rackets and now are a modern racket supporter. Can you still pickup a standard head woodie or graphite and find your old stokes after a short adjustment period ? Im thinking maybe this is more difficult for you now that you have adapted to a more modern game, with open stances and western grips ? Hope these questions are not too personal, Im just curious after reading many of your posts.

Joe

NoBadMojo
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
NBM,

I have a question that Im curious about since you played tournament tennis with standard head rackets and now are a modern racket supporter. Can you still pickup a standard head woodie or graphite and find your old stokes after a short adjustment period ? Im thinking maybe this is more difficult for you now that you have adapted to a more modern game, with open stances and western grips ? Hope these questions are not too personal, Im just curious after reading many of your posts.

Joe

Hi Joe...no. not personal at all, and am happy to respond. My game has morphed over the years, but i still use old school technique on some shots depending on the ball i am presented with and the shot i am trying to shape. I learned with wood and one grip for everything (the continental)...these days i play in ralley mode with more open stances and stronger grips, and a variety of grips, and more spin. (a larger headed lighter frame allows this) but when i have the chance/time to flatten something out and hit a more forcing shot, i do it by weight transfer rather than a big shoulder turn against an open stance, a more mild grip, a swingplane which stays longer on path (very much wood technique).
I can switch to wood and still make good contact but my shot possibilities become far more limited, and I find myself only being able to hit with old school technique with wood. i would never play with wood against someone who also isnt using wood

Rabbit
04-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Those rackets look great. I'm going to have to indulge myself.

Fredrik
04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I played with wood when I was a kid. Then had a long layoff.

And now I want a wood racquet for keeps and kicks. Mostly for kicks.

Those open-throat ones look juicy. I'm just afraid that it won't feel old-school enough in the long run. Hmmm. Might have to get a regular woodie as well...

Seems to be a knowledgable bunch in following this thread. Which wood racquets would you recommend looking at if the intention is to own a little piece of tennis history and something to have fun with once in a while?

Kirko
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Those open-throat ones look juicy. I'm just afraid that it won't feel old-school enough in the long run. Hmmm. Might have to get a regular woodie as well...

Seems to be a knowledgable bunch in following this thread. Which wood racquets would you recommend looking at if the intention is to own a little piece of tennis history and something to have fun with once in a while?

from what looks like that are available I'd go for the Gottfried Auto. med. weight if available.

NoBadMojo
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM

If you want to play with a racquet that many of the pros used back then, I would go with either the Dunlop Maxply Fort or the Wilson Kramer Autograph (not Kramer pro Staff)

Rabbit
04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
But, if you want something that feels more like a current day frame, you'll want to look at a wood frame with graphite overlays like a Vilas or Borg Pro...

raftermania
04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
TW Chris is BRITISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raftermania
04-11-2007, 09:00 AM
i'm watching the becker interview.. becker is huge!!!!!!!!! maybe chris is south african?????? becker is german!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

raftermania
04-11-2007, 09:11 AM
no wait... just watched the plo episode, he's australian!!! and crazy!!!!!!