PDA

View Full Version : Whats a light racket to use that will not cause arm problems?

jcbailey111
04-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey all I have been using a flexpoint prestige mid for the last 1.5 years and got great control and accuracy, but reciently actually in denial within the last 6 months having should elbow issues.....anyone having these same problems.....Im going to try the new wilson k factor six one team and Head extreme microgel hope this will help they are lighter rackets

Oh by the way im a 5.0 player...Played in college NCAA LEVEL I school EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY....

Played with the Wilson original pro staff and pro staff classic.....but who didnt back then.....sholder was a bit younger also

Any suggestions would help greatly

Thanks

fgs
04-07-2007, 11:07 AM
the 6.1 team might help, because besides being light it is also quite flexy. i wouldn't say the same thing about the head racquet, which is light but very stiff, so it would not be so comfortable on your joints at all.
you might want to demo the nblade 98, which is a little bit heavier (8 or 9g only) but has the same flex as the 6.1 team.

LarougeNY
04-07-2007, 11:24 AM
AG 300, its lighter (feels much heavier than it is) and flexible. I switched from a PD+ b/c of arm/shoulder trouble, and haven't experienced any with my AG 300

thejackal
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
i'd suggest the nBlade over the team. it'll play a bit closer to your prestige feel-wise.

jcbailey111
04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
sorry whats AG 300

Bottle Rocket
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
It looks like you're blaming the elbow issues on the heavier weight of the racket?

If you're having elbow issues, going to a lighter racket most likely won't help. Most elbow issues stem from people swinging weird ways (not your problem) or using rackets that are too light. They transmit much more shock to your arm than heavy rackets do.

I think what most people are recommending here are flexible rackets, which for some people, can make a huge difference. I am not sure how it will be for you, so you will have to try a few different ones. In my opinion playing with an 11 ounce stick can be much more dangerous than playing with a stiffer and heavier racket.

Most likely you'll want something around 12 ounces probably on the flexier side of the range. I don't think that Head Microgel will do you any good as it is a very harsh racket as well as light.

What kind of strings are you using?

Want to tell us more about your game? Do you want a racket very similar to your current Prestige? Can you play with the rackets of other players on your team?

-the AG 300 is the Dunlop Aerogel 300

fgs
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
dunlop aerogel

p0w3r
04-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I agree with Bottle Rocket. Dont go lighter, it wont help you that much in terms of elbow comfort.
Dont try the Microgel Extreme, i can tell that you would not like it coming from a Prestige. Plus, its very harsh on the arm and i know some people who have elbow problems with that racquet already. The K six one would be something that softer, but i would that that it, along with other 11 oz racquets, will be too light for you.

I would recomend something like a Yonex RDX 500 or RDS 001 Mids...both look to be good sticks for the arm despite the RDS 001 being on the firm side. The Dunlop Aerogel 200 is both flexible and it has similar weight to your Prestige, so it shouldnt be that hard to adjust to aswell.

ibringtheHEAT
04-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Dunlop Aerogel 200/300 would suit you pretty well.

dylo
04-07-2007, 02:35 PM
try the pk redondo oe rdx 500s if u can find them. another really comfy racquet is the tour 10 v-engine midplus

Tennis16
04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
If you are looking for arm comfort definitely give the Fischer Magnetic Tour
a try. I went from a Prokennex 5g to this racquet, and it is very easy on the arm. Provides good control, and string it in the low 50's, and you will have plenty of power.

Redflea
04-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Form, strings/tension, and racquet are a combined system that results in TE, or not...

A lighter racquet won't necessarily cause or cure tennis elbow, other things being equal. I've changed from an RDX Mid (11.8 oz) to Dunlop M-Fil 300 (10.9oz) and haven't had any issues whatsover w/my elbow or shoulder, and am playing more frequently now, putting much more wear and tear on my arm.

I'd look first at your form, ask a pro or very knowledgable friend to make sure that you haven't unconsciously altered something in your form that is causing you trouble...also consider reduced string tension or alternate strings if you're using a stiffer, less forgiving string. Not saying you shouldn't change racquets, just that it's only one variable in the equation, and in any given case may not be the most important...

prostaff18
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I have had arm problems with almost every racquet that I have ever used. I kind of learned to live with it. Then one day I tried the Babolat Pure Storm and my pain was gone. I mean I even had elbow pain with the 6.0. But I donít know if the light weight lets me swing more natural or what but the Pure Storm just works. Plus it plays like a dream. It has amazing spin and when you want to you can flatten it out. Also because of the light weight and relatively even balance it is very easy to customize.

christo
04-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Dunlop Maxply McEnroe. $69.

OnyxZ28
04-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Volkl DNX 9.

megaforcetkd
04-08-2007, 04:59 AM
nBlade 98 . . . . . .

jcbailey111
04-08-2007, 07:40 AM
my stronkes are ok.....never had issues until started using head racket......i was ranked 3 in tennesse and 10 in the south when i was 18.......also....play college tennis....which resulted me in playing some small professional satellite tournaments

Bagumbawalla
04-08-2007, 07:57 AM
In one sense a lighter racket may help. Elbow problems often come from hitting late on the backhand and making odd "adjustments with the wrist to compensate. A lighter (especially head-light) racket may help in preparation time. Also headlight rackets (at least 6 points) tend to transmit less shock to the elbow. Look for something with mediun flex and use an elbow-friendly string.

If there are any Pro Kennex available, look through them and see if one suits your needs.

p0w3r
04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
comon guys, do you really think that a COLLEGE PLAYER would have that much porblems with form? I mean seriously. The real reason this time is probably due to the racquet, which is on the firm side of things...maybe his elbow is sensitive to these things.

ps60
04-08-2007, 10:48 AM
a few factors of elbow friendly rackets (IMO) is:

shorter - not longer than 27", the shorter the less the torque (someone call it moment ??)

medium flex - stiff is no good that everyone knows. too flexy also doesn't damp vibration effectively (the extreme eg. is a woodie)

medium weight - too little wt transmit lot of shock of the ball, too heavy SW pulls your arm out of your body (unless u swing very slowly) :)

Headlight - HH has hammer effect, combined with western style or wristy swing can cause serious pull on the forearm.

soft material with a thicker beam - that someone must have jumped up to protest ;D. i think a softer material (grahite) doesn't transmit shock that much, and a thicker beam has less vibration and better damping (vibration dies off faster)

model-wise,
PK Kinetic is the best that i've tried. But no competitive players (except some young teenie) would use PK 5G for a serious match out there.
My personal experience tells me thin and flexy sticks aren't really good for the arm, even if they feel extremely comfortable in play. that sounds crazy but it is my experience. :confused:

FYI, PK5G or KI-5 isn't very very flexible indeed :grin: .

jcbailey111
04-08-2007, 10:50 AM
comon guys, do you really think that a COLLEGE PLAYER would have that much porblems with form? I mean seriously. The real reason this time is probably due to the racquet, which is on the firm side of things...maybe his elbow is sensitive to these things.

Not to mention my elbow is 33 years old and not what it used to be....13 years ago.....i think mostly its the combination of the racket and probably more from my serve...trying to rember the days when i used to serve fast....now im just muscling it more

Oh how time goes by

fgs
04-08-2007, 12:13 PM
i used to play competitive tennis in my "early" years too, been away for quite some time and got into the game again 1.5yrs ago. i also thought i'd pick it up where i left it and played with the n6.1 95 for a year. it went on pretty well, but when i played the younger guns (i'm 43) i started to get chronically late. so i moved to something a little bit lighter but flexier - that the nblade. try to demo one and see how it works for your game.
hitting late can be the cause for your armproblems, we do get slower as days go by.:D

prostaff18
04-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Not to mention my elbow is 33 years old and not what it used to be....13 years ago.....i think mostly its the combination of the racket and probably more from my serve...trying to rember the days when i used to serve fast....now im just muscling it more

Oh how time goes by

Dose it only hurt when you are serving? Or dose it feel like it really starts to hurt when you serve? Because that is what I deal with from time to time. You are probably right about muscling it, because I used to muscle the serve very badly, and I did a lot of work with it and now I have a more fluid motion and my pain has gone away for the most part. But what my trainer told me is that when you serve, if you are muscling it, your arm is much more tense. And if you hit the ball too much off center, because your arm is very tense, the shock travels through your arm much faster and hits your elbow with more pain. Also do you really feel it when you shank a serve? Because that is the only time I feel it anymore. But from what you say about the problem just starting. I would say to demo some other frames and see what happens. I would say that the Wilson k factor team would be harder on your elbow than anything else. Also you may like the nBlade. It has a very soft feel and should play somewhat like your prestige.

jmsx521
04-08-2007, 02:26 PM
jcbailey111, I also think that lighter frames are not really more arm-friendly, but if you really intend on a lighter frame I am selling a Fischer Magnetic Pro No.1, Ultralight.

DraGoNoFfiR3
04-08-2007, 02:34 PM
try the O3 tour midplus. lighter control racquet. i'd also recommend the N-blade 98 or the N-tour-two.

matiliha
04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
jmsx521 -- what's the grip size and what are you asking for the M-speed?

jcbailey111
04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
jcbailey111, I also think that lighter frames are not really more arm-friendly, but if you really intend on a lighter frame I am selling a Fischer Magnetic Pro No.1, Ultralight.

what u want for the racket got any picture....

jcbailey111@yahoo.com

sureshs
04-17-2007, 11:02 AM
The Flexpoint is rumored to vibrate more, specially if the ball is slightly off the sweet spot.