PDA

View Full Version : New Racket Suggestions?

Breakaz54z
04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello there. I'm currently new to the forums and I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice. I've been playing seriously for about two years now and picked up tennis about 4 years ago. I'm male and 21 so I have plenty of room to go =D. I was wondering if you folks could help steer me in the right direction for racket selection. I've been doing my research for a few months now but I have not demoed any rackets yet. I've only narrowed it down to headsizes from 90" to 105", anything headlight, and 10 oz+. Here are my specs and what I currently use. All advice would be appreciated.

I'm barely a 3.0 player that plays mainly from the baseline but I would like to work on an all around style. I like to hit hard serves but would like to add slice serves in as well.
I'm not a very tall nor strong player. 5'4", 130 lbs.
I play left handed (not that matters too much for this) with a one handed backhand which needs a lot of work. I mainly slice with my backhand.
I currently use a Wilson H Wave strung at 57 lbs which is discontinued.
It's specs are:

Headsize: 100
Length: 27.5
Weight Strung: 283g/(9.9 oz.)
Beam Width: 27.5mm Dual Taper Beam
Balance: 3 points Head Heavy
Power Level: Medium
Stiffness/Flex: 74
Frame Technology: Hyper Carbon, Hammer,ISOGRID
Composition/Construction: 100% Graphite w/ISOGRID
Swing Weight: 320
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast
Swing Type: Moderate
String Pattern(Mains X Crosses): 16 x 20
Recommended String Tension: 53-63 lbs.

I realize that maybe a high stiffness is bad for me at the baseline because I can not generate enough power against players at a higher level than me. Also I realize that head heavy isn't the best thing as well. I'm currently getting it restrung at 53 lbs and seeing how it goes. Thanks again for taking the time to read this and I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

P.C.

Bottle Rocket
04-07-2007, 04:05 PM
There are a couple of rackets around 10.5 ounces that I think are great all-around frames.

The Babolat Pure Storm and the Dunlop 300 (Mfil) series.

I think the Dunlop is a better rackat at net, with the Pure Storm having a slight edge from the baseline. The Storm might have a little more power as well. Both are incredibly good serving rackets and solid off both wings, whether you hit top spin or relatively flat. I think the Dunlop hits a better slice for some reason.

They both have a flex rating of 64, nice paint jobs, and are just simply no-BS rackets.

Both are extremely popular rackets around here (for good reason) and if my elbow could handle light rackets, I'd be using one of these.

There you have it... My recommendations.

[K]aotic
04-07-2007, 04:39 PM
yeah i'd say the babolat pure storm

ss2miraitrunks
04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Volkl DNX 4
or VOLKL DNX 8 or DNX 7

cant go wrong with those

fgs
04-07-2007, 04:41 PM
you could also look into the ntour two for a demo, either 95 or 105 headsize.

Breakaz54z
04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was considering the ntour six two as well as the mfil 300. I was also considering the npro open x and the nblade ncode. I wasn't looking to spend too much on the racket if i do get one so maybe the babolat might be out of the question but it couldn't hurt to demo it. Any other suggestions?

dylo
04-08-2007, 08:44 PM
lm radical and mfil 300