PDA

View Full Version : ***Wilson [K]Surge Review***

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Over the next several days, I will add some of the new K-Factor racquets to my revew list. After they are complete, next will be several Babolats.

**Remember, this review is strictly based on my opinion. If you disagree.....write your own!**

Wilson [K]Surge Review

Strings: Wilson Sensation 16g @ 68lbs

Design & Comfort 9/10
This is one nice looking frame! In my opinion it ranks up there near the nBlade, as far as Wilson Racquets go. It definitely has the K-Factor design, but isn't nearly as flashy as the K90. The black and white actually produces a more business and classy appeal.
The TruGrip is one of the nicest stock grips made. It is extremely comfortable, without being to soft or mushy. The shape of the grip is typical Wilson, which is one of the best (in my opinion)
Even though the racquets flex is measured at 68, it actually feels less.

Overall - Wilson has done a very nice job with the [K]Surge. It is extremely comfortable, and has a very classy look.

Groundstrokes 8.5/10
The [K]Surge is amazing from the baseline. The lower weight combined with the 16X19 string pattern allows for incredible topspin. It did take a little adjusting to tame the power, but the results were amazing. Forehands had adequate pace, and (surprisingly) very well-controlled. Drop-shots and lobs were extremely easy.
Backhands were nice also. Again, the amount of spin was truly astonishing. If you play a backhand slice often, this racquet will please you. I did find that I was able to generate more depth and pace with 2-hands versus 1-hand. That was a little annoying, considering I prefer 1-hand.

Overall - Very impressive racquet, that produces any amount of spin needed. If you love staying at the baseline, definitely give the Surge a demo.

Volleys 6.5/10
Net-play was a little difficult and tiring. The low swingweight did make the maneuverability wonderful, but the stability (against heavy-hitters) was very disappointing. I felt like I was being pushed around.
That being said, the "POP" and control is above average on volleys.

Overall - The stability issue, I believe, can be saved with a little lead-work. Overall, the positives outweigh the negative.

Serves 9/10
Definitely the strongest area of the [K]Surge. I was amazed at the ease of kick-serves, and the amount of power generated on first serves. The control was beautiful! The lower swingweight took a little time to get adjusted to, but it paid off eventually. I never experienced any shoulder fatigue, even after many practice serves.

Overall - The [K]Surge is a very fun serving stick. I was completely blown away with the pace, spin, and control.

Final Thoughts
The [K]Surge is a great racquet overall. It has the potential to become a favorite of many different playing styles. The lower weight allows plenty of room for customization. I believe with the right amount of added weight, the [K]Surge would perform above average from anywhere on the court.

Total Score 8.25

**Pics will come later**

SFrazeur
04-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the review. Looking forward to pictures.

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Looking forward to pictures.

I am trying. I switched to Linux on my laptop, and trying to get it to read my camera is about to make me insane!!

pNoyr3D
04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Suhweet review jdeloach! Definitely looking forward to the pictures.

**The closing bracket in the title is facing the wrong way ;).

Hewitt Aussie
04-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Nice review, looking forward to the pics for sure, that racquet looks awesome. I love the design.

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
**The closing bracket in the title is facing the wrong way ;).

I noticed right after I posted it, and then it was too late......:-(

SFrazeur
04-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I noticed right after I posted it, and then it was too late......:-(

Would you like me to fix it?

KingOfTennis
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Yay!!! I Love U Jd!!!!!!!!! U Are My Idol!!!!! Thanks For The Great Review!!!! Also Im Using The K90 Right And Now And Was Wondering If The Ksurge Will Fit My Game? Anyway Awesome Review And Im Looking Forward To Ur Other Reviews. Keep Up The Good Reviews Jd!

Django
04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Nice review. Now the "comparison" requests. As the specs are nearly identical, do you have any thoughts/experience how the (K)Surge stacks up against the Volkl DNX V1 (midplus)?

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Would you like me to fix it?

Pretty Please.?:-D

SFrazeur
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Pretty Please.?:-D

Done, you'll need to chance your post title, I cannot do that.

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
do you have any thoughts/experience how the (K)Surge stacks up against the Volkl DNX V1 (midplus)?

I haven't hit with a DNX V1, so I can't compare. Next week I am going to order some Volkl demos. I will put that on my list.

psp2
04-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Nice review. I never hit with the Ncode Surge so I don't have a comparison basis. However, I did find the KSurge to be too light in its "as-is" form. I'd add about 1.5oz. to the frame and it would be a fantastic racquet.

KingOfTennis
04-07-2007, 06:48 PM
JD Wat racket got the highest overall score? Is it the K90?

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Done, you'll need to chance your post title, I cannot do that.

Thanks SFraz! That is much better.

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 06:51 PM
JD Wat racket got the highest overall score? Is it the K90?

Of the one's I have reviewed in stock form, it is the K90.

Here is a link to all the ratings:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=119037&highlight=reviews+by+jdeloach

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Yay!!! I Love U Jd!!!!!!!!! U Are My Idol!!!!! Thanks For The Great Review!!!! Also Im Using The K90 Right And Now And Was Wondering If The Ksurge Will Fit My Game? Anyway Awesome Review And Im Looking Forward To Ur Other Reviews. Keep Up The Good Reviews Jd!

Thanks for the kind words King.

KingOfTennis
04-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Np When Will U Get The Kzen Done? Cuz I Cant Wait

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Np When Will U Get The Kzen Done? Cuz I Cant Wait

Should be up Monday evening. I want to hit one more day with it first.

Hewitt Aussie
04-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Should be up Monday evening. I want to hit one more day with it first.

how does it fair so far?
Also could you compare the zen with the surge? Which zen was it? thankyou

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 07:33 PM
how does it fair so far?
Also could you compare the zen with the surge? Which zen was it? thankyou

So far very nice, but not as good as the surge. I will make several references to the [k]Surge in the [k]Zen review.

It is the standard version, not the Team

LarougeNY
04-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Very nice review. Surprised you got your hands on it so quickly, I've been trying to get a hit with it at my local proshop for the last week and its always been out. Surprised to hear that it feels softer, I felt the npro surge felt somewhat soft as well.

Django
04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
On your Volkl demo list, please include the brand-new DNX 7 -- also very similar specs to the (K)Surge. Merci.

jdeloach
04-07-2007, 09:59 PM
On your Volkl demo list, please include the brand-new DNX 7 -- also very similar specs to the (K)Surge. Merci.

I am planning on getting the following 4 Volkls for reviews:

DNX 10 Mid
DNX 7
DNX V1
Tour 10 V-Engine MP

Then will be 4 Prince racquets:

O3 Speedport Red
O3 Tour
O3 Hybrid Tour
O3 White

Then Head racquets:

MicroGel Extreme Pro
MicroGel Extreme
FlexPoint Instinct
Prestige Classic 600

That is the projected demo lineup. I will always try to throw in classics and discontinued when available.

qwerty66
04-08-2007, 07:28 PM
picture?
i wanna see

LarougeNY
04-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I am planning on getting the following 4 Volkls for reviews:

DNX 10 Mid
DNX 7
DNX V1
Tour 10 V-Engine MP

Then will be 4 Prince racquets:

O3 Speedport Red
O3 Tour
O3 Hybrid Tour
O3 White

Then Head racquets:

MicroGel Extreme Pro
MicroGel Extreme
FlexPoint Instinct
Prestige Classic 600

That is the projected demo lineup. I will always try to throw in classics and discontinued when available.

Are you going to review the Aerogel 300?
Another request would be the PS 6.0 95, I've been curious about it for years.

[K]aotic
04-08-2007, 08:12 PM
can u tell me how a kzen compares to a babolat? i heard its similar but i'm interested to know which one u think is better.

master935
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
how does it compare to the npro open?

tennisally
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Can you review the Kzen team?

tennisally
06-22-2007, 08:38 PM
I play with the npro open but would like more forgiveness ina racket. The Kzen team had been recommended. What does anyone think?