PDA

View Full Version : Silicone in handle, the missing link to Holy Grail

christo
04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
No wonder Pat Rafter had his frames silicone injected in the handle. I had been experimenting with lead tape on my Maxply McEnroes and had popped off the Butt cap and jammed a packet of lead tape in there (without the packaging obviously) to add weight and lighten up the head a bit. It worked wonders. Anyway I could hear the lead tape rattling around in there and was looking to fix it in there. Remembering the tale of Rafter I went and got a small tube of Silicon bathroom caulking and squeezed a healthy portion in to the end of the handle, letting it set up overnite. Well, I cannot believe how stable and smooth the frame is with this setup. There is ZERO vibration . Poly hybrid setup, no dampener, no pain, just smooth as silk. Yeah baby! Now I have 2 more to set up the same way.

squints
04-07-2007, 10:06 PM
some people pack silicon pellets into their handles. it can be easier to remove and will dampen vibration while keeping feel. Nice ingenuity, hope it goes well, otherwise it'd be a shame. I'd love to see some pics!

Chauvalito
04-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I might try this with some of my old sticks for fun...just to make one insanely heavy...

lets see what I have laying around...

I have battered and bruised c10 pro x-tended, which is just around 11 oz., that might be perfect.

nhstennis
04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
do u think the silicone in ur stick weighs more than an ounce???

christo
04-07-2007, 11:04 PM
No, not even close, keep in mind I wanted to use it to secure the lead tape. The frame weighed 11.8 before the silicone and 12.0 afterwards. The lead tape plugged most of the opening, the silicone oozed into the rest.

s.sharm01
04-07-2007, 11:05 PM
so ur frame was 11.8 with the lead ... right...???

vkartikv
04-07-2007, 11:21 PM
So you have implants now? :p

Sigi
04-08-2007, 05:13 AM
For those who remember, Kneissl actually used silicone in their handles in their older models. Their new models do not.

One tip, it might be a good idea to pack cotton balls up in the handle before putting the silicone in.

Kirko
04-08-2007, 06:13 AM
I think your right. I'm using a prince magnesium pro & the handle is a solid foamed grip no vibration or sounding like a musical instrument; just great feel and I can actually feel the "flex" when I hit the ball. Kinda like the feel of wood racket.

Ronaldo
04-08-2007, 06:18 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html Using silicone instead of hot glue.

WhiteSox05CA
04-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Is this the method most pro's use? I know you can see lead tape on some pro's racquets, but do the rest use silicon?

ps60
04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
i 've implant in my Rebel since 2 yrs ago. its cap can be opened. i stuff 5g. of coil lead (for fishing) into the opening, between the nails (securing the butt cap) and the cap. Filled up with window glass silicone (brown)

i also use transparent silicon gel for sticking coin in the butt, easy to remove if u use a little thicker (1~1.5mm) layer of the gel.

i guess Volkl rackets have silicon butt caps and that's where it is not too easy to remove (the gel at least)

louis netman
04-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Be careful! I once had a jolly 'ol time squirting silicone inside the handle of a 300G.... The stuff filled the entire frame and by the time I was through, it weighed 2 lbs...

Sigi
04-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Christo,

What brand of silicone did you use?

Sigi

Ljubicic for number1
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Guys instead of using silicon to hold the lead in place I use hot melt glue as the actual weight, you get a more stable feel with the glue, I use lead on the ouside of the handle first for trial and error and once I know how much weight i want I weigh a glue stick on my digital scales and use that instead of the lead.

The down fall to this approach is its very hard to remove if you change your mind.

squints
04-08-2007, 06:12 PM
it seems that anirut's method is the way to go, since it dampens vibration without affecting feel. And it is entirely reversible. i would like to defintey try it with my racquet(s) in the future.

louis netman
04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Guys instead of using silicon to hold the lead in place I use hot melt glue as the actual weight, you get a more stable feel with the glue, I use lead on the ouside of the handle first for trial and error and once I know how much weight i want I weigh a glue stick on my digital scales and use that instead of the lead.

The down fall to this approach is its very hard to remove if you change your mind.

Although glue may not have all the shock absorbing properties of slicone, that's a very accurate way to do things...

10sfreak
04-08-2007, 07:09 PM
it seems that anirut's method is the way to go, since it dampens vibration without affecting feel. And it is entirely reversible. i would like to defintey try it with my racquet(s) in the future.
Ok, so what's anirut's method? I don't see his post on this...

diehard6.0
04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
No wonder Pat Rafter had his frames silicone injected in the handle. I had been experimenting with lead tape on my Maxply McEnroes and had popped off the Butt cap and jammed a packet of lead tape in there (without the packaging obviously) to add weight and lighten up the head a bit. It worked wonders. Anyway I could hear the lead tape rattling around in there and was looking to fix it in there. Remembering the tale of Rafter I went and got a small tube of Silicon bathroom caulking and squeezed a healthy portion in to the end of the handle, letting it set up overnite. Well, I cannot believe how stable and smooth the frame is with this setup. There is ZERO vibration . Poly hybrid setup, no dampener, no pain, just smooth as silk. Yeah baby! Now I have 2 more to set up the same way.

The major part of Volkl's sensor handle system is silicon job.

anirut
04-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Ok, so what's anirut's method? I don't see his post on this...

It's in my signature -- Making the Super Redondo. Just check it out.

Cheers!

Ljubicic for number1
04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Although glue may not have all the shock absorbing properties of slicone, that's a very accurate way to do things...

The hot melt glue sticks I use set very similar to silicon only very slightly harder "more brital" , but it definately works as a shock absorber. The glue is still soft enough to push a stringing awl straight threw it.

christo
04-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Christo,

What brand of silicone did you use?

Sigi A small tube I got from Home Depot

RRR
06-17-2010, 08:30 AM
I used to apply lead fishing weights with a glue gun but alas after a while they start to rattle around and that is not good. So i removed the lead shot cleaned the inside of the handle a little bit.

I put some hot glue stick a clean sardine can with the lead shot and gently heated the can to make the lead glue soup.

Making sure there was cotton stop two inches into the butt cavity, I pour in the hot glue with the lead balls. The result is quite good. There is a solid feel to it and I guess damping improved since the lead is securely nestled in a matrix of glue. results withe pc mid is fatastic. it feels like a more solid and stable hitting stick. I have tried tape in the hoop, but it really does not work for me. But in the handle it rocks.

Maybe there is a thing about the "bipolar" theory. As i understand it, with the added weight at the handle the racket swings almost the same even with the wristy shots. but on ball impact the dipole effect of the lead at the butt counteracts torque and makes the racket deflect less, producing more plow through effect.

Dane
06-17-2010, 11:02 AM
I use hot glue sticks in the handle wrapped with foam to keep it from rattling. I don't melt the glue, just measure to length/weight and wrapped with foam and tape over to keep it from unraveling while inserting. This way it is removable and adjustable.

chopstik
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
i used this stuff from home depot
works pretty well

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/488a2cbc-5478-4cdf-8221-9b4415f2892a_4.jpg

no1
06-17-2010, 11:08 PM
It's in my signature -- Making the Super Redondo. Just check it out.

Cheers!

+1... definitely a fun mod : )

GPB
06-18-2010, 06:08 AM
All 3 of my rackets have silicone in the handle. To get the weight right, I stuck some lead fishing weights into the silicone as it was drying. To add a little more (after it finished curing) I pushed in some small nails. Since then, I've removed the nails, but all of my rackets have silicone injected in there.

Don't Let It Bounce
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
i used this stuff from home depot
works pretty well

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/488a2cbc-5478-4cdf-8221-9b4415f2892a_4.jpgThat's interesting. It looks to be less dense than silicone, so the weight could be more easily distributed throughout the handle. Any chance you know its density, or at least how much weight it added and how far up the handle you sprayed it?