PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Fischer Have Square Grips

lisaburton
04-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a m speed 105. Nice racket.. but what is the purpose of a square grip.
The number 1 bevel is so wide it feels uncomfortable in the crotch of my thumb. Is there a reason that fischer makes a grip shaped in such a way

Ken

samster
04-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Not sure, but I could not get used to the square shaped handle myself; otherwise, I would have kept the M Speed 98.

lisaburton
04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Surely there must be some benefit to a square grip

Ken

KennyNguyen
04-08-2007, 08:53 AM
crotch of your thumb.. haha... could've said the bend or something....

onkystomper
04-08-2007, 09:08 AM
i actually liked the squareish shape of the fischer grips. they fit my hand well

IT WAS IN!!!
04-08-2007, 09:14 AM
i thought fischer's grips were larger than advertised but i just didn't like the mspeed

Craig Sheppard
04-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree, this is one of the primary reasons I don't still use the Pro 1. I could never get my 1HBH in a grove w/ this handle shape. With a Wilson grip I can just pop right to the correct 1HBH grip and rip it. I always seemed to be "searching" on the Fischer. It can't be just technique or practice, b/c I can instantly get it right on a Wilson.

I see most Fischer pros using 2HBH... maybe it's better for that? I had no trouble with forehands, but backhands, ehhhh.

PackardDell
09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I think it is marketing. You have to distinct youself from other manufacturers and one way doing that is by using a squarish grip.

btw: their new no-tolerance line seem to have a more squarish grip.

NoBadMojo
09-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I dont find the Fischer grips to be particularly square..certainly not square like Prince. what I do find them to be, is void of a pronounced butt and on the smallish side

In very general terms, for many players, a more oblong grip lends itself more to the continental grip which lends itself more to serving, volleying, and the sliced backhand.

In very general terms, a more square grip lends itself more to groundstroking and more efficient grip changes on the service return.

blubber
09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't have a problem with different grip shapes. It seems there's something I like about each of them.

The only gripe I have with a more square shape - Fischer and Prince - is that I sometimes feel my grip slipping more western than I want it to. This happens less often for me with oblong grip shapes - Volkl and Head.

barney
09-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I have the new M Pro 1. It does NOT have the squarish grip shape.

The newer Fischer rackets have a grip shape that's rectangular - sort of between a Wilson and Babolat grip shape.

I understand that the grips are pallets that can be interchanged, but I have no personal experience with them.

TennisandMusic
09-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Yeah the M Comp 95, definitely has a more rectangular shape than the Wilson. Not square whatsoever in my opinion.

LafayetteHitter
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Also the new No Tolerance M Speed I tried out had a completely different buttcap. It is now very similar to the Wilson buttcap imo. I guess someone from Fischer has been visiting these forums.

barney
09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Also the new No Tolerance M Speed I tried out had a completely different buttcap. It is now very similar to the Wilson buttcap imo. I guess someone from Fischer has been visiting these forums.Yep. I forgot to mention that. The butt cap on the newer Fischer's are now flat, as LafayetteHitter says.

aeroman
09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm getting the new mcomp 95. I'm changing from the babolat aeropro and it doesn't seem that different. It is a little different but not alot.

Craig Sheppard
09-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Yup, all the new Fischers with the new pallet system now have a real buttcap and a Wilson-type grip shape! Wooooohoooo! I use the Magnetic Tour now, and all worries about the handle are solved... Fischer just improved big time IMO b/c of this. The #1 thing I always heard as a complaint was about the handle--either the shape was wacky or the butt cap was bad. Not anymore.

carlos djackal
04-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Also the new No Tolerance M Speed I tried out had a completely different buttcap. It is now very similar to the Wilson buttcap imo. I guess someone from Fischer has been visiting these forums.

I know that this is an old thread but I just don't wanna make a new one for the information I'd like to get so I'd rather revived this one...,I have the M pro no 1 98 no tolerance SL racket and the buttcap is somewhat broken and I was wondering if the Wilson buttcap can fit in it to serve as replacement.......

Steve Huff
04-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Lisa, I too used the MSpeed 105, and thought it was one of the best playing frames made. But I couldn't get used to the grip shape. It's rectangular, but blocky feeling. However, I do like Fischer's pallet system. They are easy to change if they were more readily available.

Colpo
04-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Many European (particularly German and Austrian) brand frames have long had rectangular grips, dating back to the 1980s. There was an early interest there in exploring the R & D aspects of the entire frame, including handle shape, and a rectangular shape was early on deemed to be the most ergonomically pleasing. Consider also that the European brands, most at least, had little or no wood-frame culture to graduate from, and got into the game when synthetic frames were becoming state of the art. This technical process encouraged these new racquet makers, most of whom came from ski making, to try to make a better, newer product, soup to nuts. Personally, I've always preferred the rectangular grip shape of early Volkls, Donnays, but particularly Fischers and Kneissls. The Kneissl 1980s grip shape, which was crazy rectangular (it essentially ovalled off from the wider sides to the less-wide sides, virtually making for a 4-sided grip) is still my personal favorite. It's often not what alot of us here are used to, having grown up with the Wilson and Prince behemoths, but you have to approach it as though a Fischer is like "your" Wilson. I'll add that a rectangular shape makes more sense for a tradionally Euro game, from the baseline on slow courts. It's just easier to transistion grips from a hammer backhand to a semi- or full Western forehand when the grip sides merge into each other.

carlos djackal
04-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I have the M pro no 1 98 no tolerance SL racket and the buttcap is somewhat broken and I was wondering if the Wilson buttcap can fit in it to serve as replacement, anybody here who have tried it?.......

frekcles
04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
I have the M pro no 1 98 no tolerance SL racket and the buttcap is somewhat broken and I was wondering if the Wilson buttcap can fit in it to serve as replacement, anybody here who have tried it?.......

Just order one fromt his site:

https://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=876900/755.0

McLovin
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Just order one fromt his site:

https://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=876900/755.0

Unfortunately, they are all out. Their website implies they have them in stock, and they allow you to go through the whole ordering process, only to send you an e-mail a few days later saying the item is unavailable.

Hopefully Pacific will start selling grip pallets soon as they are essentially re-branded Fishers.

carlos djackal
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately, they are all out. Their website implies they have them in stock, and they allow you to go through the whole ordering process, only to send you an e-mail a few days later saying the item is unavailable.

Hopefully Pacific will start selling grip pallets soon as they are essentially re-branded Fishers.

such a bad news for me..........so only the Pacific grip pallets are my only hope and the sad thing is I still have to wait until they start putting it in the market.....

carlos djackal
05-01-2010, 03:32 AM
what the heck, i'll still try to order hoping there is some stocks left, got no choice......

AJK1
05-01-2010, 03:36 AM
It's hip to be square......

Hi I'm Ray
05-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Did Fischer start making their grip shape more squarish at some point or has it always been the same? I ask cuz I use a Pro No.1 from yr 2000 and although it looks slightly more squarish I don't feel any difference between it and the grips from Wilson, Yonex, Dunlop, Bab, etc. The only one that really stands out as being different for me is Head.