PDA

View Full Version : does 2hbh always = longer racquet length?

Ross K
04-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I thought this was true for vast majority of 2handers, so when I switched from 1h to 2h nearly a year ago, I bought plus-sized racquet(s). However, I've wondered about this several times, and most recently, yesterday, when my bh was a pile of you know what... not that I'm blaming the length of racquet for my poor technique. No, no... I do though sometimes wonder about the issue of 'manouverability' (my racquet is also 100 sq. in. head-size too.)

So... DO ALL YOU 2HANDERS PLAY WITH + SIZED RACQUETS? OR ARE THERE SOME OF YOU WHO ACTUALLY PREFER STANDARD LENGTH OR WHATEVER? WHAT'S THE REASONING BEHIND YOUR PREFERENCES? AND ALSO, WHAT HEAD-SIZE DO YOU PPL PLAY WITH AND WHY?

Cheers all

stormholloway
04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Every single two hander in the world has an extended length racquet.

That's a fact.

travlerajm
04-07-2007, 10:43 PM

That's a fact.

Yep, now that Agassi retired.

MTChong
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Safin?

I was under the impression he used a PC600, standard length. One of the best in the business, too.

staedtler
04-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I think Nadal uses standard length too.

Ronny
04-07-2007, 11:27 PM

That's a fact.

thats not true, actually most 2handers use/prefer standard lengths.

Ross K
04-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Erm... the first reply seems to be contradicted by those that follow? ^^^^
What's the truth here? I'm very surprised if Safin uses standard length. Also, I'd be VERY interested if someone could confirm Agassi played with standard length... I mean, if he used standard, then surely that dispells this 'rule' that supposedly all 2handers should play with + length racquets?... that's my way of looking at it anyway.

BTW, what about head-size? Ppl's preferences? Reasoning?

Fossika
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I have 2HBH and use a standard length (27") PD Cortex that has 100sq" head size. I've always had +size heads but always had standard length.

kanjii
04-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Erm... the first reply seems to be contradicted by those that follow? ^^^^
What's the truth here? I'm very surprised if Safin uses standard length. Also, I'd be VERY interested if someone could confirm Agassi played with standard length... I mean, if he used standard, then surely that dispells this 'rule' that supposedly all 2handers should play with + length racquets?... that's my way of looking at it anyway.

BTW, what about head-size? Ppl's preferences? Reasoning?

Agassi has always used the OS Heads and I don't think HEAD makes plus sizes. His Radicals have always been OS, and HEAD sells these as OS or MP, I think???

AndrewD
04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Ross K,

Although manufacturers aren't always the most reliable source of information:go to the Babolat website and look to see which of their sponsored players are using standard length and which are using extended length. I think you'll find it's about 50/50.

Ross K
04-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I have 2HBH and use a standard length (27") PD Cortex that has 100sq" head size. I've always had +size heads but always had standard length.

Very interesting... anyone else go for standard length with OS headsize who plays 2hander bh?... a bit more info like this and I might seriously be considering a change of racquet length (whilst keeping to OS head.)

So Aggassi DEFINITELY played with standard length then? Anyone care to contradict this?... not to mention earlier claims that Nadal and Safin play standard...

jelle v
04-08-2007, 01:30 AM
I have a 2hbh and I prefer standard length actually.

I have played with a Prince NXG mp (100") that has a length of 27.25", coming from a Head Ti.Radical, but the NXG I never got my backhand to work as well as is does with the Ti.Radical.

I switched back to my Ti.Radical this season and my backhand is just way better. Now I am playtesting a Wilson nBlade and also with that racket with much higher swingweight than the Ti.Radical, my backhand just works so well.

That 27.25 inch long NXG was a really weird feeling at the beginning by the way.

So I, for one, prefer standard length.

SteveI
04-08-2007, 05:40 AM
Safin?

I was under the impression he used a PC600, standard length. One of the best in the business, too.

Hi,

Think you are right about Safin... :-) Yes.. and he does seem to have one of the best in the business..:-)

Steve

Ross K
04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi,

Think you are right about Safin... :-) Yes.. and he does seem to have one of the best in the business..:-)

Steve

Right then... So (big surprise to me at least) Agassi, Nadal and Safin all play with standard length racquets then?... looks like my long-held assumption about 2handers all playing plus-sized is totally bloody wrong!... I mean... Andre A? (my fave bher incidentally)... Safin (often considered the best bh in the business)?... Rafa (no slouch either!)... Just goes to show eh?... Time to seriously consider going standard...

travlerajm
04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
The first reply was a joke, folks.

AgassiFan12
04-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I recently switched to +size racket (Prince Turbo Shark MP LB) and have had trouble hitting my 2hbh since getting this racket. Before, while using my 27' rackets my 2hbh was my most consistent rally and set up shot. My forehand has actually come to life from the +size racket.

I think I just have to make a few little adjustments to find my 2hbh again...hopefully I can make those soon.

jelle v
04-08-2007, 03:05 PM
I recently switched to +size racket (Prince Turbo Shark MP LB) and have had trouble hitting my 2hbh since getting this racket. Before, while using my 27' rackets my 2hbh was my most consistent rally and set up shot. My forehand has actually come to life from the +size racket.

I think I just have to make a few little adjustments to find my 2hbh again...hopefully I can make those soon.

I had exactly the same thing with my Prince NXG. It's weird, my forehand got better, but my 2hbh got much worse.

mhstennis100
04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
I use a 2hbh and I like standard length. I don't get enough maneuverability at the net from + rackets (I have a 1hbh volley and 1hbh slice).

stormholloway
04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
The first reply was a joke, folks.

Yeah sorry. I was drunk and had nothing better to do.

Sad really.

IT WAS IN!!!
04-08-2007, 04:02 PM
hmm i had a great 2HBH with the PD+ but my forehand suffered now with a standard length my 2HBH is worse and my forehand is better.

Roger_Federer.
04-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I play one handed, so I have just a thoery, I think that it would be a plus size, but probablly not OS.

[K]aotic
04-08-2007, 08:05 PM
my hitting partner has a really mean 2hbh and he uses a standard

Bengt
04-09-2007, 05:15 AM
It makes sense that those with a 2hbh would be drawn to longer rackets for the same reason that if baseball players went to a one-handed swing they would have to reduce the length (and head-heaviness) of their bat.

jelle v
04-09-2007, 05:25 AM
It makes sense that those with a 2hbh would be drawn to longer rackets for the same reason that if baseball players went to a one-handed swing they would have to reduce the length (and head-heaviness) of their bat.

Why would it make sense?

Bengt
04-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Why would it make sense?

Because the 2hbh is essentially the same stroke that a switch-hitting baseball player takes. In my opinion, it makes sense for the same reason that most players with a 1hbh prefer head-light over hammer rackets.

Since the longer racket moves the sweetspot further away from the player, the 2 hander can make up for the reduced effective reach that the stroke imposes compared to the 1 handed.

ps60
04-09-2007, 06:21 AM
i 've a couple of very diff. rackets, and found some better for 2H, some good at 1HBH.

i obvserved that 1H prefers Heavy HL racket.
2H prefers some Head weight, not necessarily a longer racket. Balance is a key factor.

My Diablo is a little longer and very headlight. But it doesn't feel good with 2HBH, (nor is it good for 1HBH :grin: )

i've a Prince 27.5" 105" wide body. Can hit OK 1HBH, and 2HBH isn't better with it either.

My best 2HBH is a 27", 330 SW Rebel.

Bengt
04-09-2007, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE=ps60;1367222]

My Diablo is a little longer and very headlight. But it doesn't feel good with 2HBH, (nor is it good for 1HBH :grin: )

[QUOTE]

When you find something that it's good at, please post. Mine won't even function as a doorstop. I've had some success swatting junebugs with it, though.

ps60
04-09-2007, 07:11 AM
When you find something that it's good at, please post. Mine won't even function as a doorstop. I've had some success swatting junebugs with it, though.

very funny :grin:
i like to take my stick for hiking too, to fence off fierce dogs, hitting mos (of course it fails that), choping fallen plantation that blocks the way...

BTW, i added a little (2g) lead from 10 - 2, and it is much better. Lot of spin on forehand, easy serve. But BH still isn't very good (my skill part of the problem), and volley isn't stable nor crisp.
Strings break easily. and the string either feels too little power or too powerful :confused:
i wanna try it again with NXT 16/PSGD 16, but dun know when.

Leoboomanu
04-09-2007, 07:14 AM
It's really uncomfortable using a standard with the grip that short for 2bh... So i lengthened the grip by taking those syntec's off my bab and wrapping them back tighter and longer near the fork...

Leoboomanu
04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
It's really uncomfortable using a standard with the grip that short for 2bh... So i lengthened the grip by taking those grips and wrapping them back tighter and longer almost near the fork... Now i play with a PD+, the grips are longer... Yes they play differently with a standard on 2bh, but hey, every raq does... Just have to time them well and practice practice practice... Try to use d left arm more when using plus raqs...

fgs
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
i don't think that there is a rule regarding racquet length and 2hbh. i started hitting 2hbh some 30 years ago and it was with standard length wooden racquets. i have recently changed to the 106 blade which is slightly longer, 27.3 inches, than the n6.1 95 (27.0 inches) i previously played and i have noticed no difference whatsoever regarding stroke-technique.
i have no experience though with a 28" frame, but from hitting from time to time when playing with my son with a 25" frame i can tell that those 2 inches make a difference. so, it's possible that 1inch will make a difference but i think it's more about what you get used to and adjust your stroke-technique accordingly.