PDA

View Full Version : Did Yonex change their gripsize?

realplayer
04-08-2007, 03:10 AM
I bought a yonex rdx500 in gripsize 4 3/8 because that was the grip i used when i played the yonex v-con 17. But i noticed that the gripsize was much bigger. I took off the replacement grip and compared the bare handle with that of the v-con 17. It was much bigger. Even a friend of mine who has a rdx500 but then in 4 1/4 gripsize has a bigger grip than the 4 3/8 size of the yonex v-con 17.
What has changed and why do they run more than a size bigger now? Was the gripsize incorrect in the past or is now incorrect. Just curious.

samster
04-08-2007, 05:21 AM
For 4 5/8 grips, from my experience I found the following to be true.

Largest-------------------------------------------->Smaller

Wilson, Prince, Dunlop, Babolat, PK, Head, Volkl, Yonex

realplayer
04-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I measured it precisely and the yonex gripsize is bigger than the wilson and not by a small margin it was also bigger than the babolat. Problem is i bought the rdx500 in gripsize 4 3/8 expecting it had the same gripsize as the yonex v-con 17. Now i have to find a way to make the grip smaller.

tlm
04-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Yonex runs at least 1 size large.A 4 3/8 will measure just under 4 1/2, if you use a overwrap it will be almost a 4 5/8.

Amone
04-08-2007, 08:36 AM
For 4 5/8 grips, from my experience I found the following to be true.

Largest-------------------------------------------->Smaller

Wilson, Prince, Dunlop, Babolat, PK, Head, Volkl, Yonex

I use a heat-shrink on a L4 prince (heat-shrunk up to a L5, 4 5/8) and it's definitely a smaller grip than my (recently sold, tee hee!) Babolat APC+, by a good bit.

White_Rice
04-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Yonex runs at least 1 size large.A 4 3/8 will measure just under 4 1/2, if you use a overwrap it will be almost a 4 5/8.

Really? I never noticed a difference. I always buy 4 3/8 on all my racquets. I have small hands but I never really noticed a difference between my Yonexes and non Yonexes. now you got me paying more attention to the details.

tlm
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I just measured my 001 mid which i am selling on ****, it is a 4 3/8.But it measures barely under 4 1/2,on one of my 001 mp racquets the grip wore out so i replaced it.After new grip was installed it measured over 4 1/2, that is another problem you cant buy the original grips for the yonex racquets.

The original grips are really thin, so the replacement grips i have bought end up even larger.On my rds 001 mps racquets i replaced the grip, it was also a 4 3/8 grip.By the time i replaced the grip + put on a tourna grip it now measures just under 4 5/8.

So you may want to consider buying one size down, especially if you use a overgrip.By the way if you want to check your grip size you need a taylors measuring tape, it is soft enough to pull snugly around the handle for accurate measurement.I think a lot of you will be surprised if you measure your grip.

realplayer
04-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Fortunately i found someone who make grips smaller. But as tlm said the grips run at least a size larger.